Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most hated line and inference:

"I travel alone. It's best that way."

GRRRR. The Doctor is sexist, he only wants to travel with women and girly men. Mr Copper would have been fun for at least a few eps! Where are the straight male companions?? Why not have 3 TARDIS travelers instead of the humdrum 2?

This special is the weaker of the 3. Very silly in parts, and that's saying something for the usually camp Doctor Who!

I'm more interested in Torchwood Season 2 than Doctor Who Season 4.
    sigpic

Comment

It bothered me that the Doctor wasn't willing to at least drop him off somewhere and I agree about Copper being good for a couple of eps. The Doctor could have helped to straighten out his understanding of Earth culture and history.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
        is it just me or were the hosts total rip offs of the "robots of death" from the old tom baker story?
        Nah, more like the Axons

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post

GRRRR. The Doctor is sexist, he only wants to travel with women and girly men. Mr Copper would have been fun for at least a few eps! Where are the straight male companions?? Why not have 3 TARDIS travelers instead of the humdrum 2?

This special is the weaker of the 3. Very silly in parts, and that's saying something for the usually camp Doctor Who!

I'm more interested in Torchwood Season 2 than Doctor Who Season 4.
          I didn't read it like that. I thought it was his reaction for losing Astrid - he already planned she'd be his next companion - and then she died, and, much liek after Rose, he probabyl decided that right now he doesn't want a companion - no one to risk but himself, no one to get attached to that would end up leaving him, like Martha and Jack jsut did, actually.

It's a shame tho. I'm looking forward to Donna as companio, but he was such a lovely silly old man,. and what a change it could have made to make him a companion!

Mmmm. As for my toughts on Voyage of the Damned. it might still change - I'm planning on rewatching today, and I know my second view opinion of Runaway Bride and Last of the Time Lords changed a lot with the second time.
          But after the first view, yesterday... It was a fun episode, silly, cheesy and camp, light entertainment at its best - and lacked depth.
          RTD went for big. USA big, sort of way. Granted, he didn't fall even half as hard as other productions who fall into thaty trap (doing my best not to look at Stargate and Ark of Truth at this point...) but he lost his biggest strength in Doctor Who - the human angle. The story didn't really touch me.
          As for casting - I haev to admit I enjoyed all of the characters... with the exception of Astid. And yes, I blame the casting of Kylie Minogue on this. I'd have said something about her being a much better singer than actress but TBH, I'm not a big fan of hers as a singer, either. But she's just an average actress. Which stands out for miles in Doctor Who, where all the other characters are brilliantly cast. So, as a result, I didn't really feel for her - which might have ruined a bit the experience for me.
          The rest of the characters were entertaining... the set up was silly and fun. Again, as I said, I don't care much for the big and flashy - whether it's Doctor ho, Stargate - or Stardust, actually, which I thought lost the best part of the book by making it grand and flashy, but as big adn flashy things go, this is the way to go. I still think the best Christmas special was the christmas Invasion. Less flash, more substance.
          I'll refrain from commenting about the Christian imagery

Mmm. what esle, what else... The Christmas traiditons! ha! Hilarious. As was the part where al of London's inhabitants have deserted it after the two last Christmas(es?).... The Host were brilliant! As was the bit with the questions. "Can I start again?" "Information: No." hehehe.

sigh - bring on series 4! Well, Torchwood's second series, then season 4!
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post

You're totally not getting it. If Astrid had survived, he would have welcomed Mr. Copper on board. The reason he's back in "I travel alone" mode is because Astrid died. He promised to save her, but she died. And she didn't just die at random... she died for him... because of him. He's been made gun shy by loss again, like he was when he met Martha.
            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

It reminded Poseidon movie but I honestly don´t care since it was better than the last Peterson´s Poseidon movie It was sad, thought.
              I think I wouldn´t mind if the Special were a little longer because killing of two characters after 20 minutes didn´t make me to feel sorry for them. But all characters were very likeable and I liked them all.
              But, I was sorry later Especially for Astrid. It was really sad. But I think it would be unusual for her to stay, and doctor has always companions from Earth.
              I loved the lines this year. I enjoyed a bit more than a Bride last year, even bc of xmas atmosphere (last year was very obvious the hot summer). I think his "I am the Doctor, a Timelord from Gallifrey..." was amazing line, then "Information: You are all going to die." or "42" and the queen! "Thank you doctor and happy Christmas" Those were good.
              David looked hot! I can´t say I think about him as about hot and sexy, but he looked so great. He looked like James Bond in some places, especially with the burning ship behind his back

I was a bit worried about Kylie Minogue but she was fine. She didn´t try to prove "I can act, too!" but was nice and likeable. To bad we didn´t have a chance to know her Astrid better.

I didn´t get the point in the end about the bad guy. It was obvious who is it so...it wasn´t meant to suprise us or it was just bad written?

I like the new credits and music. CGI were also great.

I can´t wait S4, and what I saw in the trailer, it looks great. And I really like Donna, so I am not worried as I was in S3.

In the meantime, Torchwood!

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Great fun ep! Though I ended up watching half yesterday morning, and half yesterday afternoon- blame boxing day sales! So I really need to sit down and watch it all at once.

Loved Mr. Copper- I hope we see him again some time. It was a little darker than I expected but overall a very good Christmas special- best one yet. Though the queen made me roll my eyes. I loved the part where Mr. Copper was explaining about Christmas. There were definitely some good laughs in this one. And the people of London got smart! Yay them!

And the new theme music! I am absolutely in love with it, probably listened a couple dozen times by now. Wow. I think I like it even better than the previous one!

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                  I was a bit worried about Kylie Minogue but she was fine. She didn´t try to prove "I can act, too!" but was nice and likeable. To bad we didn´t have a chance to know her Astrid better.
                  As an older person on this thread let me point out that Kylie was an actress long before her singing career took over and can I also say that Dr Who must have one hell of a reputation to get her back on screen after 20 years

Comment

I was LMAO when Astrid grabbed the first aid kit so she could stand on it and kiss the Doctor. The kissing thing itself was a bit tacky, but as a short person I did appreciate the humor of the height difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      I was LMAO when Astrid grabbed the first aid kit so she could stand on it and kiss the Doctor. The kissing thing itself was a bit tacky, but as a short person I did appreciate the humor of the height difference.
                      That was indeed a very funny scene. Just as the scenes where the Doctor can finally say the two things he always wanted to say.

Doctor: "Take me to your leader. I always wanted to say that."

Doctor: "What's your first name?"
                      Frame: "Alono." (The face the Doctor pulls is priceless)
                      Doctor: "You're kidding me."
                      Frame: "What?"
                      Doctor: "There is something else I always wanted to say. Allons-y Alonso"

I also like the scene where he answers who he is and the way Astrid butchers the names a few minutes later.

As for the episode itself, it was good and not to mention very amusing. Also, the poor Tenth Doctor, he always seems to fall for blondes who either die or become unacessable.
                      Signed,

Gregorius
                      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by cheese View Post
                        And how come there wasn't enough power to reconstitute her but teleport the Doctor and old man away? Okay that could be explained by some technoguff about the reconstruction process being a massive consumer of power, but that doesn't really work. If that was the case, reconstructing anyone who teleports would take the same power.
                        And! If she was being reconstructed from the memory banks how come she was "falling"? I have a vague rememberence that there might have been a line that said the wristband was where the memory was stored, but surely it would have been destroyed and I'm not convinced that made sense anyway.
                        At the rate he's losing companions maybe he really wold be best off on his own! If I were him I'd definately take a few years off anyway!
                        It wasn't that there wasn't enough power, My Copper said that it (the system which stores the atoms of someone if there is an accident while they are wearing the teleporter wristband) was just too badly damaged.. there wasn't enough information stored to be able to bring her back properly. The system saves the person's biosignature etc etc at the moment of - or, presumably, just before - death in the event of an accident.. that's why the little bit of Astrid they managed to bring back kept saying she was falling... she was a memory of Astrid's last moments, essentially.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          I loved that bit- if she had just kissed the Doctor that would have been ugh not again, however that moment with the first aid kit more than made up for it.

Comment

Loved the episode.

First thoughts

The intro song was terrible, i hope they only did it for that episode because if i have to listen to that everytime i shall kill myself.

The overall episode was nice thou i wish the fat people had survived instead of the arrogant business man.

Only thing i am worried about now is the sneak peak at the next season. I absolutely despise Catherine tate, i hope she isnt in all the episodes.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                              That was indeed a very funny scene. Just as the scenes where the Doctor can finally say the two things he always wanted to say.

Doctor: "Take me to your leader. I always wanted to say that."

Doctor: "What's your first name?"
                              Frame: "Alono." (The face the Doctor pulls is priceless)
                              Doctor: "You're kidding me."
                              Frame: "What?"
                              Doctor: "There is something else I always wanted to say. Allons-y Alonso"
                              I giggled my way through that too, I wonder who the McLaren fan is?

Originally posted by KiLL3r View Post
                              Only thing i am worried about now is the sneak peak at the next season. I absolutely despise Catherine tate, i hope she isnt in all the episodes.
                              Every episode, she is the new companion after all

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                                As an older person on this thread let me point out that Kylie was an actress long before her singing career took over and can I also say that Dr Who must have one hell of a reputation to get her back on screen after 20 years
                                Her acting was, in my opinion, the worst in the episode but perhaps that's because she's become rusty after 20 years (Didn't she play in Neighbours or something?).

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                                Loved Mr. Copper- I hope we see him again some time. It was a little darker than I expected but overall a very good Christmas special- best one yet. Though the queen made me roll my eyes. I loved the part where Mr. Copper was explaining about Christmas. There were definitely some good laughs in this one. And the people of London got smart! Yay them!

Mr. Copper, he's great. I was laughing my arse off when he was telling about christmas and the traditions, especially when he got one right (The Angels can fly). He should be a companion to the Doctor for a few episodes.
                                Signed,

Gregorius
                                Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                                Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Working...
                                X