This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
    Whys that then? Whos to say it doesnt need more than Atlantis to sustain the shield. Afterall its nowhere near as powerful.
    i think you answered your own question. If it isn't any where near as powerful then why would it need more emitters? that's like saying your home satellite dish is more powerful than a radio telescope.

Comment

It could be less energy efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
        i think you answered your own question. If it isn't any where near as powerful then why would it need more emitters? that's like saying your home satellite dish is more powerful than a radio telescope.
        Well it would need more emitters to sustain the sheild would it not. Atlantis would need less because the emitters are powerful enough to cover the city with an enormous sheild, that has never been penetrated.

Comment

The amount of emitters only affects how quickly the shield can be brought up/recharged, not how strong it is.

If I have a bowl that needs to be filled up with water and can run a hose directly to it and fill it up. However, if i put 5 hoses into the bowl, the bowl will fill up more quickly, however the amount of water that can fit in the bowl remains the same.

And the daedalus has a front and rear shield, like Asgard ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
            That's not correct. The Daedalus has rear and forward shield GENERATORS not emitters. We have no idea how many emitters it has.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Halzman View Post
              The amount of emitters only affects how quickly the shield can be brought up/recharged, not how strong it is.

If I have a bowl that needs to be filled up with water and can run a hose directly to it and fill it up. However, if i put 5 hoses into the bowl, the bowl will fill up more quickly, however the amount of water that can fit in the bowl remains the same.

Ah! Good explaination, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                Depends how powerful the Ori Beam Weapons are compared to the Wraith Hive Ships constant bombardment, complete with Drones.
                What do drones have to do with anything?
                Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Yall are arguing about how shields "really" work, when current cold-plasma shields work absolutely nothing like the ones depicted in SG and other sci-fi shows?

HAHAHAHAHHHAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Orii View Post
                    Yall are arguing about how shields "really" work, when current cold-plasma shields work absolutely nothing like the ones depicted in SG and other sci-fi shows?

HAHAHAHAHHHAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    however our current cold-plasma shields is only a step to understanding how shields can be depicted as they are in SG and other sci-fi shows. And to be honest, currently the only thing really holding back cold-plasma shields is power generation. All a cold-plasma shield is, is a) magnetic shield b) plasma c) electrical power. The magnetic shields shape can be manipulated to whatever the user would want, strength of the shield would depend on plasma density, which would in turn be dependent on how much power you have.

Comment

It might not matter what the status of the ZPM is, if the device from Merlin's cave is still working. This ended up on one of the Ori vessels, and was used to build the anti-Ori 'weapon', which we're told works in a similar way to a ZPM.

So, maybe it can be used to make ZPMs, if you know how to use the machine, and can do it without 1. brain-damage and 2. a descended ancient in your head.

Of course, an unlimited supply of ZPMs would probably wipe out lots of story line opportunities. Maybe they could make a couple before breaking it tho.

Comment

I love people trying to sound smart, but sorry this is a television show.
                        First, REAL SCIENCE doesn't exist Science is theory based on theory based on theory.
                        Second, if REAL SCIENCE existed it could not apply to Science Fiction, as Science Fiction isn't Real Science, and once something in science fiction becomes real science, it is no longer science fiction. The Shield technology of today is way behind the shield technology in tv.
                        Thirdly, Shield Generators have not been mentioned to increase the the power, nor the speed and recharge. The general idea however is that Shield Generators do both. Atlantis' Shield Generators are much more powerful than the ship Generators. Now we have no idea if theres only one Generator or 2 on ships, or if theres 200. Ships could have a bunch of crappy generators or a few decent ones.
                        Fourth, Merlins weapon can not make ZPMs, I'm not saying this is certain, I'm just saying that it's a horrible IDEA. Also, We have no way of knowing if the weapon still exists, and if it has been depleted or not.
                        Fifth Its a tv show. IF its not stated in the show as cannon, it can go either way.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic View Post
                          I love people trying to sound smart, but sorry this is a television show.
                          First, REAL SCIENCE doesn't exist Science is theory based on theory based on theory.
                          Second, if REAL SCIENCE existed it could not apply to Science Fiction, as Science Fiction isn't Real Science, and once something in science fiction becomes real science, it is no longer science fiction. The Shield technology of today is way behind the shield technology in tv.
                          Thirdly, Shield Generators have not been mentioned to increase the the power, nor the speed and recharge. The general idea however is that Shield Generators do both. Atlantis' Shield Generators are much more powerful than the ship Generators. Now we have no idea if theres only one Generator or 2 on ships, or if theres 200. Ships could have a bunch of crappy generators or a few decent ones.
                          Fourth, Merlins weapon can not make ZPMs, I'm not saying this is certain, I'm just saying that it's a horrible IDEA. Also, We have no way of knowing if the weapon still exists, and if it has been depleted or not.
                          Fifth Its a tv show. IF its not stated in the show as cannon, it can go either way.
                          Ha ha ha

Comment

I think it has more to do with the shield generators than the power supply.

I mean the generator/emitters can only cycle back up so many times under constant stress before they have to shut down or burn out.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              Ha ha ha
                              Laughing at yourself I see.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic View Post
                                Laughing at yourself I see.
                                Regressing I see...

Comment

Working...
                                X