MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
    Stargate_Now isn't directly involved with this one, but rather it's Stargate_Now_Europe, which is run by very different people (from Europe).
    The Europe half is an interesting bunch. They are still on the good-list.

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
    GateWorld also seemed to report that Apple is interested in acquiring MGM either partially or entirely, which could (said skeptically) mean Apple would consider developing Stargate. Now, I'm not a fan of Apple as a whole, and I would hesitate to subscribe to Apple TV (especially since I already have three services that I'm using), but depending on the type of content I would consider it at least.
    It seems Gateworld doesn't understand the difference between "buying MGM" and "acquiring content from MGM". Apple is not buying (parts of) MGM, they are interested in putting their content on their streaming service, basically what Amazon Prime already does in the US and the UK by putting Stargate in their library.

Apple TV May Boost its Content With Help From MGM And Pac-12

Apple reportedly in talks with MGM, Pac-12 to boost Apple TV+ offerings

Apple TV+ is going up against the likes of Netflix, which has deep connections to Hollywood, and Disney+, which has a massive content library. It remains to be seen whether partnerships with MGM or the Pac-12 conference will give it enough of a boost to better match up against its rivals, but it appears that Apple is not backing down from the challenge.

And the original Wall Street Journal article (though you need a subscription to read it):
    Apple Held Preliminary Talks With Pac-12 Conference, MGM

But the Business Insider article is free to read:
    Apple's strategic pivot for Apple TV+ could include sports rights and studio acquisitions

Talks have "yet to reach an advanced stage," but they indicate that Apple is considering licensing or acquisitions as a means to quickly build out its $5-a-month streaming video service Apple TV+ into a more robust offering as the iPhone maker transitions to services-led growth. The Pac-12 equity stake could be valued at up to $5 billion, while MGM could cost as much as $10 billion.

This article puts it as a "might", "could" or "wishful", depending where Apple wants to take Apple+ but for anyone hoping 2020 brings new Stargate. I suggest you don't hope too much cause the talks are only in prelimenary stages.

MGM (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) Holdings. A deal with MGM could manifest as either a licensing agreement or an outright acquisition deal of the privately held company, currently owned by several private-equity firms. Either way, MGM would automatically give Apple TV+ what it currently lacks: a deep library of premium film and TV content that includes the James Bond and Rocky/Creed franchises, "The Silence of the Lambs," and "Stargate SG-1," the longest-running sci-fi series in US history. If Apple acquires MGM outright, Apple not only could offer these shows and films on-demand on Apple TV+, but create new versions without having to pay recurring licensing fees, a key advantage of ownership, particularly at a time when proven, global franchises are a rare, high-value commodity. For example, if Apple chose to, it could produce a revival series based on James Bond or Stargate, exclusively for Apple TV+, enabling it to tap into cult fan bases around the world. Revivals on cult classics have previously worked for other SVOD, including Showtime OTT ("Twin Peaks") and CBS All Access ("Star Trek").

EDIT

Apple TV -- Apple+ doesn't seem to be available in Belgium so Netflix stays the top priority.
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; 09 January 2020, 01:35 AM.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks for the article. It sounds promising.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        The Europe half is an interesting bunch. They are still on the good-list.
        Definitely interesting... quite a bunch too...

It seems Gateworld doesn't understand the difference between "buying MGM" and "acquiring content from MGM". Apple is not buying (parts of) MGM, they are interested in putting their content on their streaming service, basically what Amazon Prime already does in the US and the UK by putting Stargate in their library.

Apple TV May Boost its Content With Help From MGM And Pac-12

Apple reportedly in talks with MGM, Pac-12 to boost Apple TV+ offerings

Apple TV+ is going up against the likes of Netflix, which has deep connections to Hollywood, and Disney+, which has a massive content library. It remains to be seen whether partnerships with MGM or the Pac-12 conference will give it enough of a boost to better match up against its rivals, but it appears that Apple is not backing down from the challenge.

And the original Wall Street Journal article (though you need a subscription to read it):
        Apple Held Preliminary Talks With Pac-12 Conference, MGM

But the Business Insider article is free to read:
        Apple's strategic pivot for Apple TV+ could include sports rights and studio acquisitions
        I'd expected as much, frankly

Comment

If all these streaming services want a piece of the pie, they have to have as much content available as possible, I guess.

It's the appeal of Netflix for me, even if the content in this part of the world is probably one of the smallest libraries around.

Because otherwise people might come and go as they please which means they are not paying a monthly fee for 12 months but only for 3 perhaps, or 2...

...Now That The Mandalorian Is Over, People Are Canceling Disney+...

Comment

But it would also mean that maybe they would order new SG contents too. We will see.

Maybe the twitter storm should focus on Apple, because random tv channel names won't reach anything.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              But it would also mean that maybe they would order new SG contents too. We will see.
              I imagine, if they want to foot the bill for that new order, that MGM will have little issue. If it's MGM that has to pay, you can kiss that idea goodbye.

Maybe the twitter storm should focus on Apple, because random tv channel names won't reach anything.
              Apple+ isn't available in my country so why would I even bother to do that?
              I don't remember anyone sticking up for us poor sods left out of Command, so I'm not gonna dance to American fans' tunes when they can't be bothered to stick up for the rest of us either.

Burned too many times...

Nope, if I tweet, I aim them at NetflixNL and Netflix.

Comment

I mean if we want to secure the place of Stargate at Apple then we should aim them. I have never used their ridicolously overpriced and mainly overhyped products , so I would be also happier with Netflix. But they could be still a good home as a streaming service. I don't know. I believe any channel would do at the current state as long as they give us something new SG content.

About the Stargate Command app: Please just forget them as easy as they have moved on us. They are not worthy anymore as they have failed the test of time. We are still here, while they are a fading memory now.

Comment

I mean if we want to secure the place of Stargate at Apple then we should aim them. I have never used their ridicolously overpriced and mainly overhyped products , so I would be also happier with Netflix. But they could be still a good home as a streaming service. I don't know. I believe any channel would do at the current state as long as they give us something new SG content.

About the Stargate Command app: Please just forget them as easy as they have moved on us. They are not worthy anymore as they have failed the test of time. We are still here, while they are a fading memory now.
                  The point is, if Apple gets it, then there will still be too many people who won't be able to watch it, so why should those people attempt to convince Apple? Whatever potential new Stargate show by Apple will almost definitely remain permanently exclusive to Apple TV, and not be shown anywhere else. The way things are going in the streaming world, it's also increasingly unlikely to get it on, say, Amazon digital, or DVD/Blu-ray.

Comment

What NickEast says...

Comment

I understand your points now. I would like to focus how fun we can have. It is always good to see the post of the actors and the staff members. Comtraya!

Comment

I would prefer that a new Stargate series be on either Netflix or Amazon Prime video for maximum potential viewers.

Comment

On Twitter, Stargate Now is also holding an Aussie Tweetstorm on Jan 26, and I think it coincides with the Jan 25 date due to time zones. No link provided to post here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Jonas View Post
                            I would prefer that a new Stargate series be on either Netflix or Amazon Prime video for maximum potential viewers.
                            Preferably Netflix.

Everything else is download for me.... and I'm not talking the legal kind.

Comment

Everything else is download for me.... and I'm not talking the legal kind.
                              You mean "long term borrowing" of your digital copy.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                                On Twitter, Stargate Now is also holding an Aussie Tweetstorm on Jan 26, and I think it coincides with the Jan 25 date due to time zones. No link provided to post here.
                                Jan 26th for an Aussie tweetstorm?
                                ROFLMFAO!!!
                                Yes, have a tweetstorm on Australia Day when most people will be out, or passed out
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X