Revolution (NBC) : News/Speculation/General Discussion SPOILERS S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    Watched the trailer a while ago and I am not looking forward to this at all. For one, it's premise is questionable at best; I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole thing, like the whole thing with the electricity going out (how can a plane spin exactly)
    If you watch the released scene (not the trailer) you see a light in the street explode in sparks, most likely a surge, if a plane engine did the same, it could spin out of control.

Comment

Plus there's stuff like the over-the-top action, forced thematics and plot holes abound. (How do governments fall due to the lack of electricity, how does anything rise up? I know we take technology for granted but it's not something that society would entirely change for.)
      Power goes out, people run out of food, start looting and killing each other, police and armed forces get overwhelmed (they lose the tech too), what use is a government then? They have no power and the economy would disappear, sitting in a fancy hall and coming up with laws serves no one, they would probably flee.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        If you watch the released scene (not the trailer) you see a light in the street explode in sparks, most likely a surge, if a plane engine did the same, it could spin out of control.
        So you mean to tell me that the way they do the blackout is by adding more energy? There would have to be a ridiculously large power source that's either alien or conspicuously common and for them to use that energy around the world is implausible, even with an electrical interference field. Additionally if they were overloading it then there would be some sort of electrical area out there that's built to handle any energy surge no matter how big or small.

What they did in the show was remove all the electricity; so tell me, to remove all the electricity do they oversurge it or neutralize it or do they find a way to prevent the electrical charge from happening? (Note: Energy can be generated by friction, most of us human beings consist of electricity or an electrical current, also windmills.)

Power goes out, people run out of food
        I doubt they'd run out of food, it may take longer but we have farms that can grow this stuff and we have ways of delivering it that don't require electricity.

start looting and killing each other, police and armed forces get overwhelmed (they lose the tech too)
        Because of the situation at hand; even if they lose the tech, the guns they have still work and they can find ways to utilize the tank shells without having electricity; they're not completely powerless if they lose the tech.

what use is a government then? They have no power and the economy would disappear
        Well a government is there to set rules, manage zoning, maintain the community, just make sure that the city is running in an orderly fashion. There was government back when there wasn't electricity, hell there was communication back when there wasn't electricity through the usage of an old trusty horse. Sure, there wasn't one unified government like we have now but the ideology of government still existed and several unions were doing fine with such government.

sitting in a fancy hall and coming up with laws serves no one, they would probably flee.
        Again, they have ways of enforcing it; it's just that the producers decided to ignore that because the government collapsing would be cooler.
        Back from the grave.

Comment

So you mean to tell me that the way they do the blackout is by adding more energy? There would have to be a ridiculously large power source that's either alien or conspicuously common and for them to use that energy around the world is implausible, even with an electrical interference field. Additionally if they were overloading it then there would be some sort of electrical area out there that's built to handle any energy surge no matter how big or small.

What they did in the show was remove all the electricity; so tell me, to remove all the electricity do they oversurge it or neutralize it or do they find a way to prevent the electrical charge from happening? (Note: Energy can be generated by friction, most of us human beings consist of electricity or an electrical current, also windmills.)
          Unless you can see into the future, how about we wait and see what their explanation/reason for the blackout is before saying what they did, and trying to poke holes in it.

I doubt they'd run out of food, it may take longer but we have farms that can grow this stuff and we have ways of delivering it that don't require electricity.
          Please enlighten us as to how without power or technology, they will feed 300 million people. Once the canned and wrapped food runs out (and it will be hoarded by those who like to take advantage), the farms are gonna have trouble doing that.

Because of the situation at hand; even if they lose the tech, the guns they have still work and they can find ways to utilize the tank shells without having electricity; they're not completely powerless if they lose the tech.
          The guns ordinary citizens and militias have still work. And they dont rely on a vast communications network.

Well a government is there to set rules, manage zoning, maintain the community, just make sure that the city is running in an orderly fashion. There was government back when there wasn't electricity, hell there was communication back when there wasn't electricity through the usage of an old trusty horse. Sure, there wasn't one unified government like we have now but the ideology of government still existed and several unions were doing fine with such government.
          And back when there wasnt electricity, there wasnt 300 million people and a civilization that relied on electronic communication. That trusty old horse is fine for the few in the country who can ride and look after one.

Again, they have ways of enforcing it; it's just that the producers decided to ignore that because the government collapsing would be cooler.
          Enlighten us.
          sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Ukko;13346602]Unless you can see into the future, how about we wait and see what their explanation/reason for the blackout is before saying what they did, and trying to poke holes in it.

Please enlighten us as to how without power or technology, they will feed 300 million people. Once the canned and wrapped food runs out (and it will be hoarded by those who like to take advantage), the farms are gonna have trouble doing that.
            Fema as plans to secure such sites in America, without large scale communication infrastructure, as this would require in an atomic war scenerio. Of cause large sections of society would have to be adapted to run without electricity, and quickly, tough but not impossible.

Unsurprisingly less developed nations would find this change much easier to cope with, it be nice to see what happening in places like Africa.

The guns ordinary citizens and militias have still work. And they dont rely on a vast communications network.
            Civilians would have to go up against well trained and armed army guys. You imagine for several days or a few weeks at least the population would think it just a normal blackout or a terrorist attack using electromagnetic field and that the government will be returning power shortly. In that time the Government would gather people quickly to access how to run our current infrastructure without electricity, deploying army troops in all major cities and food rashioning would come in.
            expect announce that steam engines would be rapidly built and that government would sieze the relevent factories and infrastructure to get that operational.

And back when there wasnt electricity, there wasnt 300 million people and a civilization that relied on electronic communication. That trusty old horse is fine for the few in the country who can ride and look after one.
            Combustion engines would still work, you just need a different ignition system, if the government can maintain order for a few weeks and produce plans to get the country back up and running there more likely most people would support them.

We can only judge by the quality of the trailer, which show several cliché storyline (secret organisation, boy defends dad, dad dies because of boy, mysterious communications with person face hidden, secrete object that needs protecting,). The Airline crash scene look silly and was clearly design for visual impact rather than realism, which for me this story needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
              Easy, though there may not be electricity to operate those combines or those automated canning machines; we can easily work the machines that were made before electricity and operate the machines ourselves. I mean all the machines do is take out the hard work, all we need to do is do the hard work. As for the 300 million people well some of those people can work at the factories the same way they work at Foxxcon, there are a lot of people; I'm sure most of them would appreciate doing the work just to get some benefit out of it.

Just because there isn't any electricity doesn't mean there's a way to get the work done.

The guns ordinary citizens and militias have still work.
              I already mentioned that.

And they dont rely on a vast communications network.
              Who said anything about a vast communications network? I wasn't thinking about any communications network when thinking about the situation at hand and even then, the people that make up the armed forces, army, military and navy won't be utterly powerless without communication; they won't be overwhelmed by people with guns that don't have communication. Sure, they can't coordinate globally but they can initially communicate locally (during the blackout) then work their way up to global communication, don't assume they're powerless because they're cut off.

And back when there wasnt electricity, there wasnt 300 million people and a civilization that relied on electronic communication.
              That's because it's easier and quicker, not because it opened up new ways to communicate with each other. The trusty mail system thankfully still exists (though being increasingly ignored by the new generation) and there would be little change as to how people communicate with each other with the exception of making it harder to discover other people and places to discuss (like this forum).

That trusty old horse is fine for the few in the country who can ride and look after one.
              Where I live there is a suburban city which has paths specifically designed for horses, most of the city even revolves around a horsing theme. Though they may be country-oriented, they often expand into the most suburban (and industrial) of areas and from the people I've met, they mostly use their horses rather then their cars because they're acquainted with them and serve most of the same purpose.

I think I'm beginning to understand why the people behind Revolution made society the way it is; people have forgone steam propulsion technology, paper-based communication methods and even stuff like horses for things like cars, electrically powered engines and the internet, so much so that they'd mostly be unable to transition to the ways of old, thus leading to a world where pony express mail, hand operated machinery and even steam trains are barely existent.

Enlighten us.
              Okay...
              • The establishment of various government offices around every city to enforce laws.
              • Using the pony express to communicate with the white house.
              • Having strict guidelines for the people they do employ to enforce those offices.
              • Actually making sure those laws would work in today's times. (people do rebel if the laws are unfair)

And for the situation itself.
              • The setting up of a system that'd allow food to come in an easy manner.
              • Providing the basis for the reconstruction of ancient technology that is now practical.
              • Gaining public appeal by sympathizing with the situation.
              • An adjustment of the taxes to compensate for today's times.
              • The initial lack of war and formation of a union between countries.
              Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                Fema as plans to secure such sites in America, without large scale communication infrastructure, as this would require in an atomic war scenerio. Of cause large sections of society would have to be adapted to run without electricity, and quickly, tough but not impossible.

Unsurprisingly less developed nations would find this change much easier to cope with, it be nice to see what happening in places like Africa.
                Securing sites isnt a problem (unless malitias turn up or farmers dont allow it), producing enough for, and distributing to 300 million people is the problem. Look at the mess that was Katrina. FEMA would also need communications.

If the TV's still worked, the folks in Africa would probably be pointing and laughing.

Civilians would have to go up against well trained and armed army guys. You imagine for several days or a few weeks at least the population would think it just a normal blackout or a terrorist attack using electromagnetic field and that the government will be returning power shortly. In that time the Government would gather people quickly to access how to run our current infrastructure without electricity, deploying army troops in all major cities and food rashioning would come in.
                expect announce that steam engines would be rapidly built and that government would sieze the relevent factories and infrastructure to get that operational.
                I think you're underestimating how heavily armed the American populace is.

Yes, their training will give them an advantage, but their technological advantage goes out the window, and they're vastly outnumbered and unable to receive orders. They would be just as clueless as the civilians. The impression i got from the trailer was that this is something that just happens, click. No time to prepare.

Combustion engines would still work, you just need a different ignition system, if the government can maintain order for a few weeks and produce plans to get the country back up and running there more likely most people would support them.
                To produce plans for a fix that quick, and get the country back up and running, they would need the kind of efficient communications that they've just lost. The government can do what it does now because it has the means to do so.
                Combustion engines would also need fuel. Theres some fun panicking.

We can only judge by the quality of the trailer, which show several cliché storyline (secret organisation, boy defends dad, dad dies because of boy, mysterious communications with person face hidden, secrete object that needs protecting,). The Airline crash scene look silly and was clearly design for visual impact rather than realism, which for me this story needs.
                Firstly, the bolded parts arent clichés, and the communication with person whose face is hidden, well, your doing that now with me right now and everyone else on here. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with clichés. Any half decent writer knows this. Its the execution that matters, and until we see the show, we cant judge the execution.

Thats how TV and movies work, both being visual mediums and all.
                sigpic

Comment

Firstly, the bolded parts arent clichés, and the communication with person whose face is hidden, well, your doing that now with me right now and everyone else on here. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with clichés. Any half decent writer knows this. Its the execution that matters, and until we see the show, we cant judge the execution.
                  Okay technically they are not cliches, but they are way over use plot devices and to include so many in a single trailer is close to being unforgivable, I will still end up watching it but base of the trailer I am not expecting much.

The trailer execution is average, again compare to trailers we have from Games of Thrones, or the excellent trailers released for Walking Dead, and even Fallen Skies had better trailers than this.

Saying it a visual medium, does not give the writers excuses for not being creative or resorting same or similar plot devices. Only lazy writers, producers and directors do that. Good ones find new and exciting ways to expand the medium and show the audience something they have not seen before.

We clearly have to different view points on human nature, but I believe that we tend not to panicked, we tend to remain calm and we tend to work together to solve problems. An if such a disaster did happen, we would not see the level of destruction that we saw in the trailer. But hopefully the writers will show use how all that occurred during the show and provide reasons. I actually think chaos, if there is chaos would be relatively short live and government would bring back order relatively quickly.

Hopefully the show will show a little of what happens in the rest of the world as well.

Comment

Okay technically they are not cliches, but they are way over use plot devices and to include so many in a single trailer is close to being unforgivable, I will still end up watching it but base of the trailer I am not expecting much.
                    Pick up any book or show me a any TV show and i'll point out multiple overused plot devices. Like i said before, its the execution that matters, and untill we see the show, we just dont know.

The trailer the execution is average, again compare to trailers we have from Games of Thrones, or the excellent trailers released for Walking Dead, and even Fallen SKies had better trailers than this.
                    There are few shows made that can match the quality of those ones. But pointing out those shows and your above words; Zombie apocalypse, Alien invasion/apocalypse and warring kingdoms/kings, incest and politicking are certainly nothing new or original. But GoT, WD and FS are examples of top quality execution.

We clearly have to different view points on human nature, but I believe that we tend not to panicked, we tend to remain calm and we tend to work together to solve problems. An if such a disaster did happen, we would not see the level of destruction that we saw in the trailer. But hopefully the writers will show use how all that occurred during the show and provide reasons. I actually think chaos, if there is chaos would be relatively short live and government would bring back order relatively quickly.

Hopefully the show will show a little of what happens in the rest of the world as well.
                    People go crazy enough when we have the means to properly recover and rebuild after a disaster. If you, quite literally, flip a switch and "turn off" civilization one night, people are going to panic (understatment).
                    sigpic

Comment

People go crazy enough when we have the means to properly recover and rebuild after a disaster. If you, quite literally, flip a switch and "turn off" civilization one night, people are going to panic (understatment).
                      I totally agree with that. I think that things would get pretty ugly quickly.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yes its not like there are any example of when the power goes out for a few hours that people DON'T start looting...

Comment

Yes its not like there are any example of when the power goes out for a few hours that people DON'T start looting...
                          Still... Even if they start looting (and considering the security of some of the stores out there today, even if the power goes out.) and start getting better weapons; they're not going to get overpowered by the onslaught. They know what to do and they know how to communicate with each other during such incidents, quanity = equal quality.

And there was an incident in LA where the power was out for a few days and nobody looted within the first few hours from my knowledge, I doubt they'd start looting instantly but they would get uneasy about the situation when after a few days the power isn't going to be coming back on.
                          Back from the grave.

Comment

People go crazy enough when we have the means to properly recover and rebuild after a disaster. If you, quite literally, flip a switch and "turn off" civilization one night, people are going to panic (understatment)
                            Do they, I did not see people go crazy in Japan Earth Quake, or Haiti, or in fact that 2004 India sea earth Quake, or a better example would the massive black out of new york city that happen a few years ago.
                            Katrina did drove some people go insane but that appears to be exception to the rule rather than the rule. Most humans pull together in a crisis and help each other out, these far out weigh the individualistic people in society, who are either frozen or come round to the group thinking.
                            Last edited by knowles2; 22 May 2012, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Do they, I did not see people go crazy in Japan Earth Quake, or Haiti, or in fact that 2004 India sea earth Quake, or a better example would the massive black out of new york city that happen a few years ago.
                              I have to full-heatedly agree with him. I mean even in a show like this, they wouldn't go insane because of the lack of technology just as a full government collapse wouldn't be possible.

Though people are waiting for the show to see what happens, I'm certain the show will fail for these reasons. Over-exaggeration of government collapse and consequences for plot reasons (which people ,will try to justify), the entire power draining thing being convoluted (some people say it's a surge but from my looks of it, it seems like something's preventing an electrical charge from forming; the show may provide some explanation on this but still, it convoluted even if explained.), the theatrics lacking substance and the lack of compelling characters. It does look good but then again anything can look good, it does look science-fictiony but true science-fiction to me is exploring the unknown, taking risks, raising questions that people will linger on for years, actually showing what can be possible and daring to be different. This is just following the trends and favoring style over substance which most sci-fi movies and some series have done in recent times. Both audiences will be disappointed.

I swear some truly innovative, intellectual and offbeat person needs to step up to the plate and create a sci-fi series; the truly innovative and the truly offbeat people are the ones who manage to think of stuff we never could think of and if that person can create something sci-fi that truly goes where no man has gone before then he might just resurrect sci-fi as we speak.
                              Back from the grave.

Comment

I have to full-heatedly agree with him. I mean even in a show like this, they wouldn't go insane because of the lack of technology just as a full government collapse wouldn't be possible.
                                The examples being referred to are indeed major incidents, but they only affected a certain city or geographical area. The reason people pulled together so well in those instances was partly because they had the full country's support as well as the rest of the world. What happens when there is no support for anyone? The best example would be, what if the New York blackouts weren't just in New York, but in the whole country? Or the entire world? Would the response have been the same?

The show is focusing on a global incident which affects absolutely everyone. I'm not sure about the 'realism' of this show, though from the trailer, there do appear to be some questionable aspects. The point is, anyone who creates these types of shows that focus on global incidents can pretty much create the world however they want since there is no benchmark to compare to in our history.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X