Should I continue watching SGU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I continue watching SGU?

Hey, I'm new. I've been only on episode 11 so far.

Should I continue watching it or it would only lead into a disappointment? I'm asking this because SGU doesn't feel like the usual stargate, the humors rarely happens and the-you-can't-trust-the-best-science-guy unlike Carter and McKay.

So, should I? No spoilers please.

I think you should continue to watch it. There are episodes that are kind of disappointing and others that are really good.

It was announced prior to the airing of SGU that it wasn't going to be much like the previous two SG series, so it isn't really fair to compare it to those two series.

As you get further into the series, you can decide for yourself whether to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      It was announced prior to the airing of SGU that it wasn't going to be much like the previous two SG series, so it isn't really fair to compare it to those two series.
      It's actually a LOT more like early SG1, which wasn't as slapstick as late-SG1 and SGA.

You should always decide for yourself whether you like it or not. By now you should be experiencing your patience paying off. (space, episode 11 was really good in my opinion). If that's not happening, i don't think it'll happen at all.

Comment

Hell yeah! The show gets so much better as it goes on. When I do rewatches of the show, I now skip out pretty much the whole of the first half of SGU, as it doesn't appeal to me. When you get to Season 2, it becomes so much more enjoyable and exciting and in my opinion... a bit more like traditional Stargate.
        Hi, I'm currently working on a new Thread called...
        Stargate SG-1 Season 11 and Onwards

Come and take a look in the Fan Fiction section if you are interested!
        Current Episode - 11x08 - "Abduction"

Comment

Thank you for all of your replies.

I missed that. Is there still an article for that one?

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          It's actually a LOT more like early SG1, which wasn't as slapstick as late-SG1 and SGA.

You should always decide for yourself whether you like it or not. By now you should be experiencing your patience paying off. (space, episode 11 was really good in my opinion). If that's not happening, i don't think it'll happen at all.
          Not really. If it were, I wouldn't be getting much to the point that I'm already onto SGUniverse after few months watching SG1 and SGA. Plus, early SG1 wasn't doing the clumsy-cameras, that feels like it is a documentary movie.

Originally posted by Stargatefan99 View Post
          Hell yeah! The show gets so much better as it goes on. When I do rewatches of the show, I now skip out pretty much the whole of the first half of SGU, as it doesn't appeal to me. When you get to Season 2, it becomes so much more enjoyable and exciting and in my opinion... a bit more like traditional Stargate.
          First half really was average, huh?

Once again, thanks all, much appreciated. I'll continue watching it, as a respect for the creators and not to mention, SGUniverse's great plot, I think the problem's with the production.

Comment

Gateworld did an interview with the creators of Stargate, they talk about how they wanted to do something different with Stargate....

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...universe.shtml

I found the early SGU episodes hard to watch with that different style of camera work at first. I was glad I held on past the first five episodes as it got so much better as the foundations were laid in these early episodes to give a great second season. Also they gradually stopped doing that annoying 'documentary' style camera work continuously!

I'm glad you've decided to continue, enjoy the rest of it. Let us know what you think at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson K. View Post
              Hey, I'm new. I've been only on episode 11 so far.

Should I continue watching it or it would only lead into a disappointment? I'm asking this because SGU doesn't feel like the usual stargate, the humors rarely happens and the-you-can't-trust-the-best-science-guy unlike Carter and McKay.

So, should I? No spoilers please.
              Yes you should. And imo its CAUSE SGU was not a carbon copy of SG1/SGA which to ME was part of why i loved it.

Comment

Not really. If it were, I wouldn't be getting much to the point that I'm already onto SGUniverse after few months watching SG1 and SGA. Plus, early SG1 wasn't doing the clumsy-cameras, that feels like it is a documentary movie.
                I wasn't talking about the camerawork.

Comment

The "clumsy" camera work was a deliberate change decided on by the producers who had seen it in other shows and thought it was very clever. I didn't like it much either.

Comment

The "clumsy" camera work was a deliberate change decided on by the producers who had seen it in other shows and thought it was very clever. I didn't like it much either.
                    No, I didn't like that very much either. I got that sense that the camera man was always close to dropping the camera Perhaps that was something that could have been avoided and could have made the show less disorientating to the fans?
                    Hi, I'm currently working on a new Thread called...
                    Stargate SG-1 Season 11 and Onwards

Come and take a look in the Fan Fiction section if you are interested!
                    Current Episode - 11x08 - "Abduction"

Comment

i didn't like it much either.
                      It was simply done better in other shows, e.g. BSG.

Comment

Absolutely yes. SGU is in total the best stargate has to offer after SG-1 season 3.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I suppose it depends on what you expect from the show. The second half of Season 1 is better than the first and the second season is better than that, but it never becomes a totally different show that emulates the SG-1 and SGA format.
                          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what is your background with the franchise? I just ask as mine was: enjoyed the concepts introduced in the movie, delighted with SG1 although the series did run out of steam soon after the transition to SciFi, enjoyed Atlantis but it lost it's heart with some key cast changes, enjoyed Universe but saddened it fell victim to SyFy moving it around and abandonment by enough of the pro-Atlantis crowd. I have read most of the books but stay away from fanfic, too much shipping for my tastes. Now it comes full circle, with the thrilling news of a pending Stargate movie. Amazing the franchise/concept has the staying power to even invite Devlin/Emmerich to 'dial it up' another time. So, to the questions you posed: yes and yes - you should continue watching as there was some quality science fiction in both seasons and you will be disappointed that the series was not allowed to go on to its projected conclusion.

Comment

I found my way here actually to ask the same thing, im on my first watch through of ever stargate in order, ive gotten to SGU and although i enjoy it and really liked the first few episodes, im really not enjoying the cinical power play between the military and the IOA woman with Rush. I guess im hoping it grts good again but i dont want to slog through a season and a half of more of this type, is there better storelines with some answers down the road or not so much, I love stargate so any advice would be awesome. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X