No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And most organizers are aware that volunteers don't mind missing some but that they haven't signed up to be total slaves all weekend, so they work to balance the 'doing a job' wiht 'attending the event you paid to attend'

cause if they want someone that'll miss the whole thing, they should hire people that have no interest in the con
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      And most organizers are aware that volunteers don't mind missing some but that they haven't signed up to be total slaves all weekend, so they work to balance the 'doing a job' wiht 'attending the event you paid to attend'

cause if they want someone that'll miss the whole thing, they should hire people that have no interest in the con
      And of course one of the nice things about the cons, is the vollunteers who enjoy them as much as the rest of the atendees.
      My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
      "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

IIRC there is one volunteer at AT events who is not a fan of Stargate and Sanctuary. It is because of her that other volunteers don't miss the goings on.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          IIRC there is one volunteer at AT events who is not a fan of Stargate and Sanctuary. It is because of her that other volunteers don't miss the goings on.
          That is nice of them to vollunteer so that others can enjoy events.
          My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
          "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

yep, there are soem like that. Often friends of hte organizers, etc, who come to the con and work it with zero expectation of taking part

also, for volunteers, most shifts are 2-3 hours at a time, once or twice over the weekend

sigpic

Comment

yep, there are soem like that. Often friends of hte organizers, etc, who come to the con and work it with zero expectation of taking part

also, for volunteers, most shifts are 2-3 hours at a time, once or twice over the weekend
              Then that's not too bad. I could live with that. Better to have plenty of vollunteers doing just a few hours over the weekend rather than just a limited number who have to do a lot of hours of the con.

And with only having to give that kind of time, I may think of offering to vollunteer at a con. Would probably be a great way of working through my "social" issues. (Me having mild anxiety attacks sometimes in large crowds of strangers that I don't really know).

Comment

for many people, having a duty to focus on can help alleviate any social problems. because you're not there to socialize, you're there to do your duty

sigpic

Comment

Okay, will people please stop going to conventions and telling the SGU actors how much they don't like SGU and that they want SGA or SG1 back. If you really don't like SGU don't say anything or find a way to phrase what you say as a question that the guests can honestly answer and be gracious enough to listen to their response instead of trying to argue with them. Remember the actors are not the ones who cancelled SGA, they are not the ones who write the stories, they just bring the stories to life on the screen.

I don't have a problem if you say you prefer one over and I really get the sense that the actors don't have a problem with it either, however with that said be aware that there is a way to phrase comments respectfully, without getting the actor (or the audience) on the defense and if you ask the question please be courtious enough to listen to the actors response without cutting them off because you don't want to hear their answer. It's a Q&A not a debate.

Okay, enough said!
                  sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Rosehawk, please don't tell me that happened at the Minneapolis convention....
                    Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                      Okay, will people please stop going to conventions and telling the SGU actors how much they don't like SGU and that they want SGA or SG1 back. If you really don't like SGU don't say anything or find a way to phrase what you say as a question that the guests can honestly answer and be gracious enough to listen to their response instead of trying to argue with them. Remember the actors are not the ones who cancelled SGA, they are not the ones who write the stories, they just bring the stories to life on the screen.

I don't have a problem if you say you prefer one over and I really get the sense that the actors don't have a problem with it either, however with that said be aware that there is a way to phrase comments respectfully, without getting the actor (or the audience) on the defense and if you ask the question please be courtious enough to listen to the actors response without cutting them off because you don't want to hear their answer. It's a Q&A not a debate.

Okay, enough said!
                      Yeah, the actors are there to enjoy themselves as much as you are.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

that's just sad. If you don't like the actor or actor's show....keep it to yourself and leave them - and their fans - be.

The actors can't change a bit about the show. Seriously, there's more than one story about how the actors can have an issue with something their character is doing and the writer/director ignores them to do what's in the script....so leave them be. they're just folks making a living.

the selfishness amazes me. Ok, so you - the general you - don't like a show....the whole world must change to cater to your whims????? Folks, just cause you don't like it doesn't mean others also don't, so leave them be and let them enjoy.

sigpic

Comment

Okay, enough said!
                          Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                          Yeah, the actors are there to enjoy themselves as much as you are.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.
                          that's just sad. If you don't like the actor or actor's show....keep it to yourself and leave them - and their fans - be.

The actors can't change a bit about the show. Seriously, there's more than one story about how the actors can have an issue with something their character is doing and the writer/director ignores them to do what's in the script....so leave them be. they're just folks making a living.

the selfishness amazes me. Ok, so you - the general you - don't like a show....the whole world must change to cater to your whims????? Folks, just cause you don't like it doesn't mean others also don't, so leave them be and let them enjoy.
                          I agree. Especially since the actors have given up their free time to come and meet with the fans. Nice way to thank them.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I'm off to a con at the end of next month, Constellation 2010 in the Thistle Hotel in Glasgow.

Myself and members of SG-999 will be part of the security team, so people had better be on their best behaviour.
                            Otherwise there will be...trouble.
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Okay, enough said!
                              OK. That's just ridiculous. I will admit, I don't like SGU. It's just not my thing. So when Sunday (SGU Day) rolls around at the Chicago Con in August, you know what I'm going to do? Not attend. It doesn't interest me. I don't know what's going on with the show so any questions that get asked will just have me confused. So, yeah. I'll be checking out of the hotel and heading home early. It's not that hard to not attend the panels you don't care about.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                                I agree. Especially since the actors have given up their free time to come and meet with the fans. Nice way to thank them.
                                Ditto. I am always saddened when I hear things like this. Next thing you know, the guests will just stop accepting invites to attend the cons. While some shows may be very good and allow the actors to have some imput into their character's development, and kudos to those that do. Many do not. For most shows I would not be surprised if they don't get to give any imput and are just given the scripts and that is that.

Can't fault the actors for stuff that happens that is beyond their control. They are just like you and me trying to make a living doing what they love.

Originally posted by Switch42 View Post
                                OK. That's just ridiculous. I will admit, I don't like SGU. It's just not my thing. So when Sunday (SGU Day) rolls around at the Chicago Con in August, you know what I'm going to do? Not attend. It doesn't interest me. I don't know what's going on with the show so any questions that get asked will just have me confused. So, yeah. I'll be checking out of the hotel and heading home early. It's not that hard to not attend the panels you don't care about.
                                Bingo! If a fan has nothing nice to say then don't say anything. And if they don't like the show then they don't have to attend the panels. At least then, those that do enjoy the show along with the guests can enjoy the panels. I'm sure the guests understand when you say that one show was your favorite over another. But to just bash their show. And worse bash it with no real explanation is disrespectful to both the guests of that show and rest of the fans.

I remember when SGU just started airing. And I was on BamBam's Q&A thread and had mentioned something to him that I didn't like in a particular episode. However I went on to explain that I still loved the show. And went on to expain that while I didn't like the one particular element, doesn't mean that it was bad. Can't remember exactly how I had said it. But he then replied back that he was thankful how respectful I was of the show even with stuff I didn't like. There is ways of giving constructive criticism or voicing dislike without being completely disrespectful.
                                Last edited by SG7; 15 June 2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X