Kate Heightmeyer/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I wrote some Kate/Teyla for an LJ challenge - for a remix challenge, which basically means you write a fic and someone else writes a remix of that same fic (different POV, different outcome, ...). But the fics are not linked to one another, so that you can read one or both, in this case you only get what I wrote:

Unbeta'd so all mistakes are mine.

Spoiler:
    Kate suspiciously glanced at the cup of black liquid currently sitting on top of her desk. She carefully took a sniff to determine whether it was coffee or the stout tea Teyla kept bragging about the Athosians drank to brace for the coming day. The two liquids were, dare she say it, barely distinguishable though a seasoned coffee or tea drinker could easily tell them apart. Of which Kate was neither. She liked the occasional herbal tea or chamomile but definitely not a seasoned drinker. She picked the cup up from her desk and dared a sip.

As soon as the liquid hit her taste buds she knew she was drinking Teyla’s infamous stout Athosian tea. Her face screwed itself up as the bitterness hit home. Kate barely managed to swallow the liquid, before she started coughing. She sat the cup down, without spilling, and almost blindly searched for the bottle of water she always kept at hand in her office.

Several gulps later, she sighed with relief.

She finally understood why the Athosians called it a stout tea, and why they drank it in the morning. It was like pouring caffeine directly into the bloodstream. If ever they’d have to stay awake for a longer period of time, Kate was going to recommend they all drink a good cup of Athosian tea. Far better than any of the drugs Carson could give out

“Good morning, Kate!”

She turned to find Teyla standing in her doorway, smiling.

“Good morning to you too.” Kate half smiled. “Did you put that cup here?” She didn’t give Teyla a chance to ask her about her morning so far, which she usually did, especially on days when she had been off-world for the night.

“I...” Teyla started but refrained from finishing as she noticed the glare that was forming on her lover’s face. “You don’t like it?” She almost sounded disappointed, which made Kate feel guilty about not liking the tea.

“Not really, no.” Kate shook her head. “I’m sorry.”

“No worries.” Teyla’s smile returned. “I don’t like your coffee either.”

Kate chuckled softly, following Teyla to her couch as the Athosian started telling about her trip off-world.
    Love it!
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I signed up for this year's Little Bang - mini version of the Big Bangs out there - which basically means a story of about 15,000 words, and in this particular Little Bang it's all about the femslash. Guess who I'll be writing about...
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Wrote a Stargate AU set in WWII for a challenge on LJ:

Title: In War There Is No Victory, Just Loss
        Rating: T/PG-13
        Wordcount: 2,691
        Warnings: major character deaths, angst, H/C
        Characters: Elizabeth Weir, Kate Heightmeyer, Teyla Emmagan, Evan Lorne, Ronon Dex, John Sheppard & Carson Beckett (briefly mentioned: Katie Brown, Rodney McKay & Laura Cadman)
        Pairings: Teyla Emmagan/Kate Heightmeyer (briefly mentioned: Katie Brown/Rodney McKay & Carson Beckett/Laura Cadman)
        Summary: In a small town on the French coast people's lives are about to change forever.
        Author's Notes: This pretty much wrote itself after I visited Normandy last weekend. However, I was writing against a deadline so I had to urge my muse to keep it relatively short. This means, I might rewrite the middle in order to fit in more character stuff and events. The end result will remain the same, however.

Link goes to my Dreamwidth.

I also wrote an entry for the Teya Thing-a-thon which contains Kate & Teyla friendship:

Title: Whoop-Ass!
        Prompt: Teaching Elizabeth stick fighting
        Rating: PG-13 - T
        Characters:
        Leading ladies of the story: Teyla Emmagan & Elizabeth Weir
        Guest characters making an appearance: Kate Heightmeyer & John Sheppard
        Cameo: Ronon Dex
        Last edited by Falcon Horus; 21 August 2011, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Wrote a Stargate AU set in WWII for a challenge on LJ:

Title: In War There Is No Victory, Just Loss
          Rating: T/PG-13
          Wordcount: 2,691
          Warnings: major character deaths, angst, H/C
          Characters: Elizabeth Weir, Kate Heightmeyer, Teyla Emmagan, Evan Lorne, Ronon Dex, John Sheppard & Carson Beckett (briefly mentioned: Katie Brown, Rodney McKay & Laura Cadman)
          Pairings: Teyla Emmagan/Kate Heightmeyer (briefly mentioned: Katie Brown/Rodney McKay & Carson Beckett/Laura Cadman)
          Summary: In a small town on the French coast people's lives are about to change forever.
          Author's Notes: This pretty much wrote itself after I visited Normandy last weekend. However, I was writing against a deadline so I had to urge my muse to keep it relatively short. This means, I might rewrite the middle in order to fit in more character stuff and events. The end result will remain the same, however.

Link goes to my Dreamwidth.

I also wrote an entry for the Teya Thing-a-thon which contains Kate & Teyla friendship:

Title: Whoop-Ass!
          Prompt: Teaching Elizabeth stick fighting
          Rating: PG-13 - T
          Characters:
          Leading ladies of the story: Teyla Emmagan & Elizabeth Weir
          Guest characters making an appearance: Kate Heightmeyer & John Sheppard
          Cameo: Ronon Dex
          Stick fighting between Teyla and Elizabeth!!!!!! Oh, how that would have been AWESOME! Both ladies wanted more screen time together. Stoopid PTW!

That was another awesome story! And a happier ending You're on a roll!!

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            Stick fighting between Teyla and Elizabeth!!!!!! Oh, how that would have been AWESOME! Both ladies wanted more screen time together. Stoopid PTW!

That was another awesome story! And a happier ending You're on a roll!!
            Exactly the reason why I felt like writing it... cause what we and they wanted, we and they never got. Stoopid PTW indeed!

Happier endings - I can do them.

Comment

*blows dust off thread*

So anyway... I wrote a 700 words or so essay about why I ship Teyla/Kate:

Spoiler:
              Why Teyla Emmagan/Kate Heightmeyer is my femslash OTP in Stargate Atlantis?

When I first started watching Stargate Atlantis, I almost immediately took to the character of Teyla. The Athosians as a whole looked to be an interesting people and I was excited to learn more about them, and about their leader. She’s a woman who can take care of herself and kick some serious butt in one go without even breaking a sweat. And yet, she knows that fighting for it can be done in other ways then resorting to violence and we learn that there’s a diplomat in her as well. She joins the expedition in hopes that they will one day defeat the Wraith and her journey begins.

When Kate Heightmeyer first appears in The Gift (season 1), I noticed a great chemistry between her and Teyla. Even though Teyla snaps at her when first they meet, there’s an instant respect for each other. Kate knows very well how to handle matters of the mind.
              As for the character there’s very little we know about Kate and over the course of 5 episodes there isn’t much more that we’ll learn, apart from her having been a couple’s therapist and apparently she’s afraid of heights if her nightmare in Doppelganger (season 4) is anything to by. It’s the curse of being a secondary character to the main cast, a background character but a darn interesting one at that. With so little background one can fill in the blanks however they like, just the way I like it. Kate as a character is patient, gentle, understanding and tries her very best to be helpful in a situation that is unknown to her but can be brought back to the very basics of the human psyche.

I didn’t immediately started shipping Kate and Teyla, not by a long shot. It wasn’t until much later, after watching The Gift a few more times in between seasons that I started to put the two of them together as a couple. And only after I read a couple of fanfictions dealing with the two of them. Though I had in the meantime fallen hook, line and sinker for Kate so I was primarily looking for fanfiction that had Kate as a main character or in a significant role. Those were, and still are, rare to say the least in the grand scheme of things of the fandom. Unfortunately for me, she’s not a popular character. Then again, neither is Teyla or any of the other women to be quite honest. Which is a damn shame because they have a lot more to offer than to be paired with the favorite male character of one’s choosing.
              Anyway, seeing as how few episodes Kate actually appears in I have very little material to work with, yet every episodes shows that they are at least very well acquainted with one another. Not in the least, it’s Teyla who goes to Kate’s quarters when she doesn’t show up for a meet, and sadly finds her dead in her room. My shipper heart broke in a gazillion pieces and my number 1 favorite character was no more (number 3 had been off’ed earlier in the season, and number 2’s faith would be to disappear in the background in favor of McKay and to a lesser extent Sheppard); and Stargate Atlantis would never be the same again after that.
              I both hate and love Doppelganger, I hate that Kate gets the short end of the stick but I absolutely love the Kate/Teyla aspects. It effectively ends the friendship/romantic relationship, but at the same time it opens a whole new can of ideas to rectify the situation. One can deny it ever happened, or one can use it to explore the what ifs of it all, or put Teyla through the emotional wringer some more.

Now to answer the original question, having explained all of the above:

Because Kate and Teyla are two very unique characters, with their own traits, faults and strengths. One has a bit of background to deal with, the other has barely any. They respect each other, complement each other and understand one another in more ways than one. They look great together on screen, and have a great chemistry going. If in some other world this pairing had been canon, I’m sure the powers that were would have frakked them up real good so I’m glad they’re not and I get to play with them instead... to my heart’s content.

Comment

*blows dust off thread*

So anyway... I wrote a 700 words or so essay about why I ship Teyla/Kate:

Spoiler:
                Why Teyla Emmagan/Kate Heightmeyer is my femslash OTP in Stargate Atlantis?

When I first started watching Stargate Atlantis, I almost immediately took to the character of Teyla. The Athosians as a whole looked to be an interesting people and I was excited to learn more about them, and about their leader. She’s a woman who can take care of herself and kick some serious butt in one go without even breaking a sweat. And yet, she knows that fighting for it can be done in other ways then resorting to violence and we learn that there’s a diplomat in her as well. She joins the expedition in hopes that they will one day defeat the Wraith and her journey begins.

When Kate Heightmeyer first appears in The Gift (season 1), I noticed a great chemistry between her and Teyla. Even though Teyla snaps at her when first they meet, there’s an instant respect for each other. Kate knows very well how to handle matters of the mind.
                As for the character there’s very little we know about Kate and over the course of 5 episodes there isn’t much more that we’ll learn, apart from her having been a couple’s therapist and apparently she’s afraid of heights if her nightmare in Doppelganger (season 4) is anything to by. It’s the curse of being a secondary character to the main cast, a background character but a darn interesting one at that. With so little background one can fill in the blanks however they like, just the way I like it. Kate as a character is patient, gentle, understanding and tries her very best to be helpful in a situation that is unknown to her but can be brought back to the very basics of the human psyche.

I didn’t immediately started shipping Kate and Teyla, not by a long shot. It wasn’t until much later, after watching The Gift a few more times in between seasons that I started to put the two of them together as a couple. And only after I read a couple of fanfictions dealing with the two of them. Though I had in the meantime fallen hook, line and sinker for Kate so I was primarily looking for fanfiction that had Kate as a main character or in a significant role. Those were, and still are, rare to say the least in the grand scheme of things of the fandom. Unfortunately for me, she’s not a popular character. Then again, neither is Teyla or any of the other women to be quite honest. Which is a damn shame because they have a lot more to offer than to be paired with the favorite male character of one’s choosing.
                Anyway, seeing as how few episodes Kate actually appears in I have very little material to work with, yet every episodes shows that they are at least very well acquainted with one another. Not in the least, it’s Teyla who goes to Kate’s quarters when she doesn’t show up for a meet, and sadly finds her dead in her room. My shipper heart broke in a gazillion pieces and my number 1 favorite character was no more (number 3 had been off’ed earlier in the season, and number 2’s faith would be to disappear in the background in favor of McKay and to a lesser extent Sheppard); and Stargate Atlantis would never be the same again after that.
                I both hate and love Doppelganger, I hate that Kate gets the short end of the stick but I absolutely love the Kate/Teyla aspects. It effectively ends the friendship/romantic relationship, but at the same time it opens a whole new can of ideas to rectify the situation. One can deny it ever happened, or one can use it to explore the what ifs of it all, or put Teyla through the emotional wringer some more.

Now to answer the original question, having explained all of the above:

Because Kate and Teyla are two very unique characters, with their own traits, faults and strengths. One has a bit of background to deal with, the other has barely any. They respect each other, complement each other and understand one another in more ways than one. They look great together on screen, and have a great chemistry going. If in some other world this pairing had been canon, I’m sure the powers that were would have frakked them up real good so I’m glad they’re not and I get to play with them instead... to my heart’s content.
                Wow!! Really well said, FH.

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                  Wow!! Really well said, FH.
                  Hopefully it inspires more people to give it a go. Feels kinda lonely in my part of town.

Comment

I wrote a little fic for Sparky Advent 2011 but I wouldn't be me if I didn't include a little Kate/Teyla for good measure.

The Honor of a Dance @ Archive of our Own

Comment

Started a few games here are the Stargate related ones
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...vies-1st-to-50

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...vies-1st-to-50
                      sigpic
                      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Been playing around with an AU fic set five years after Enemy at the Gate for your reading please. It's AU because both Kate and Elizabeth are still alive and well.

Part 1
                        Spoiler:
                        Torren gets some answers

“Mommy?” called a five-year old Torren as he wandered into the kitchen.

“Yes?” chorused Teyla Emmagan and Dr. Kate Heightmeyer as they prepared snacks for Girls’ Poker Night.

“My non birth mommy,” clarified Torren.

“What is it, sweetheart?” asked Kate. She still grinned like a maniac whenever she heard Torren call her mommy.

“How did you and mommy meet?” asked Torren.

“You know what I do for a living, don’t you?” asked Kate.

“You fix people’s minds,” answered Torren.

“That’s right,” began Kate. “You see, not long after we Earthlings discovered Atlantis all those years ago and met your people, your mommy started having really bad dreams and started to lose sleep. She confided in Colonel Sheppard about that and he started to worry about her. Given what my job is, he decided to tell me in the hopes I could make her feel better.”

“And did you?”

“It took some convincing but yes, I think I made her feel better,” grinned Kate while Teyla smiled back at her.

“I was very angry with John for betraying my trust,” said Teyla. “But something made me trust Kate and want to confide in her. Eventually we discovered there was a Wraith in the city and that was the cause of my bad dreams.”

“Now that that is settled, how did I come to be?” asked Torren. “According to Dr. Jenny, two women can’t make babies together.”

“Well, I couldn’t accept my feelings for Kate for a very long time,” began Teyla. “Kanaan was a fellow Athosian. I had convinced myself that I loved him and not long after you started growing in my tummy.”

“Does he live with the rest of our people?” asked Torren. “I’d like to meet him.”

“I’m sorry, baby, but he died on Earth when you were about nine months old,” said a teary eyed Teyla as she remembered the horrible events of that day.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        Nearly five years ago in the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco

“I still can’t believe we are here, Teyla,” said Kanaan as he paced near their bed, too excited to sleep. “A galaxy completely free of the Wraith. Do the people here have any idea how good they have it?”

“From what John and the others have said over the years, most of them don’t,” said Teyla from her side of the bed. “Come back to bed, Kanaan.”

“I can’t,” responded Kanaan, practically bouncing with energy. “The idea that I can move around a planet without fear of the Wraith has me too excited. I want to go out and explore every part of their world with you and Torren.”

“Why don’t you go and get some suggestions as to where we should go, Kanaan?” said a barely awake Teyla. “We can talk about it more when Torren and I aren‘t still trying to sleep.”

“Good night,” said Kanaan as he kissed his wife before leaving their quarters to find out where would be a good place to take his family.

She couldn’t help but smile at Kanaan’s enthusiasm and was almost back asleep when an explosion tore through a nearby corridor.

After pausing to make sure Torren was still asleep, Teyla raced out of her quarters in the hopes that she would find Kanaan nowhere near the site of the explosion or trying to help any wounded he saw.

Unfortunately, Teyla’s hopes were dashed once she rounded a corner and saw Kanaan’s broken body near what was left of a power conduit with one of the medical staff working on him. She would later learn that particular conduit was severally weakened during reentry and had developed a weak spot that suddenly gave way.

Kanaan,” called Teyla in anguished as she struggled against the iron grip of one of the Marines.

“Let Dr. Magnus do her job, ma’am,” said Lieutenant Zimmerman in what he hoped was a reassuring voice.

“I’m sorry, Teyla,” began Dr. Magnus once she noticed Teyla standing nearby. “There was just too much damage. He’s gone.”

Teyla’s responding scream of anguish actually rattled some ceiling tiles loose before she went numb and went back to her quarters to check on Torren.

Comment

Part 2
                          Spoiler:
                          “I can’t believe he’s gone,” sobbed Teyla into the shoulder of her best friend in the world days later when she was finally able to leave her quarters.

“It will be alright eventually, Teyla,” said Kate. “I’ll do everything I can to help you through this.”

“I don’t know what I’d do without you, Kate,” said Teyla as she continued to sob into Kate’s shoulder.

Kate, unable to control her longing any longer, gave in and kissed Teyla on the forehead. When Teyla looked up in surprise Kate kissed her full on the month.

“I think I should go now, Kate,” said a completely confused Teyla.

“Teyla, I . . .”

“I’ll talk to you later, Kate,” was all Teyla managed to say as she made a beeline to Dr. Elizabeth Weir’s quarters. Elizabeth had been her guide to all things Earth and right now she desperately need her guidance.

“I need your help, Elizabeth,” said Teyla as soon as her friend opened the door.

“What’s wrong, Teyla?” asked John as he wandered out of the bathroom pretending he and Elizabeth hadn’t been up to anything before they were interrupted.

“I think this is one of those girl talk moments you hate so much, John,” countered Elizabeth after studying Teyla’s face.

“Right,” said John while retreating from the room. He felt closer to the both of them than his own family but he knew he was way out of his depth and left in a hurry. “You know where to find me if you need me, ladies.”

“Yes, John,” they both said while smiling at his antics.

“What seems to be the problem, Teyla?” asked Elizabeth once the doors closed behind John.

“Kate kissed me and I really liked it,” came her succinct answered.

“How do the Athosians feel about same-sex relationships?” asked Elizabeth sensing the root of Teyla’s discomfort.

“Any relationship that doesn’t produce children in defiance of the Wraith is considered cursed by the Ancestors,” explained Teyla.

“We’re not quite that bad on Earth,“ explained Elizabeth. “Some people hate the idea with a passion and others don’t have any problem with it whatsoever. For me, it all boils down to one thing. The heart wants what it wants. What does your heart want, Teyla?”

“Kanaan felt safe,” began Teyla. “Kate feels like … I don’t know. I lost all capacity for rational thought and saw sparks when she kissed me.”

“I know the feeling,” said Elizabeth.

“Is that why John calls you Sparky?” asked Teyla with a huge grin.

“We’re not talking about me,” was Elizabeth’s response. “We’re talking about you and Kate.”

“I will make you a deal, Elizabeth,” began Teyla. “I will see what happens with Kate if you and John will quit dancing around your feelings for each other.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

“So that’s why Uncle John and Aunt ‘lizbeth decided to make Aiden,” said Torren before getting back to the subject at hand. “I’m sad I never got to know my father but I’m glad you took the chance. You make each other very happy.”

Before either of them could respond, the door chimed to admit the mischief twins, also known as Captain Laura Cadman and Amelia Banks. They were soon followed by Elizabeth and Dr. Jennifer Keller.

“You’re kidding me,” said Laura as she entered their quarters. “He still hasn’t left his lab?”

“He won’t even let me in,” complained Jennifer. “Rodney says he won’t leave his lab until he figures out how you two dyed his hair bright pink.”

“Serves him right for calling Ronon the caveman in front of me,” griped Amelia. Laura’s greatest thrill in life was messing with Rodney and she had found the perfect partner in crime in Amelia.

“Are you ready, Torren?” called John as the door opened for him, Aiden and Ronon. “We should let the ladies have their alone time.”

“Sure thing, Uncle John.”

“Just what are you planning for tonight, John?” asked Teyla in her best you will watch over my son or else voice.

“Since we’re back in a galaxy far, far away, I was thinking Star Wars and junk food,” said John. “You ladies have fun.”

Comment

Aw, so sweet! Love it!

Also, Rodney's pink hairdo.... GO LAURA & AMELIA!!!

Comment

Aw, so sweet! Love it!

Also, Rodney's pink hairdo.... GO LAURA & AMELIA!!!
                              Thanks, FH!

You should have seen the grin on my face while I wrote that part!! I could almost picture McKay's reaction clearly in my mind's eye.

Comment

Look what Nolamom made for us Kate/Teyla lovers (friendship or ship):

Comment

Working...
                                X