Into the Dalek (3402/802)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    I'd love for the Doctor to call him "Pinky" - as in "Pinky and the Brain".
    I'd fall off my couch in a fit of giggles.
    sigpic
    Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      Really? I've served with LOADS of chaps who are absolute ******** around women. Some who know it, and some who don't....
      Biggles, Algy, Bertie or Ginger............
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I thought that was another enjoyable episode. One of the better Dalek episodes we've had recently.

I'm not quite clear in my mind why they had to be miniaturised & had to go inside the Dalek to repair it, but I've only watched the episode once so I may have missed something.

Unfortunately Clara did something which is one of my pet hates - she slapped the Doctor's face. It's not something I like to see. She can slap him and get away with it, but if he slapped her like that...

Once again the pacing was closer to "classic" Who, which I rather enjoyed. Something I didn't like was the wobbly camera, particularly on the interior TARDIS scenes.

I really like the new character, Danny Pink. Hmmm, we also had Journey Blue in this episode and next episode I strongly suspect we will get

Spoiler:

Will Scarlett

More red herrings I presume.

I do like the Doctor's attitude in this. I am strongly reminded of the 7th Doctor and Ace. Slightly cold and mysterious with an agenda of his own that he isn't telling his companion about.

Since when does the Doctor not like soldiers? He didn't have any problems with this lot...

6/10

Comment

i think the people who end up at missy's place are those who killed themselves for the Doctor
          "You don't know half of it".
          Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
          (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
            I thought that was another enjoyable episode. One of the better Dalek episodes we've had recently.
            Only because the Dalek's were a vehicle to tell a different story
            I'm not quite clear in my mind why they had to be miniaturised & had to go inside the Dalek to repair it, but I've only watched the episode once so I may have missed something.
            Nope, it even got a lantern hung on it as "a good idea for a scifi movie"

Unfortunately Clara did something which is one of my pet hates - she slapped the Doctor's face. It's not something I like to see. She can slap him and get away with it, but if he slapped her like that...
            Well, if we dodge the double standard which I think you are alluding to here, you have to bear in mind that the Doctor NEEDS to be stopped sometimes, and she did stop him and make him consider what the lesson was, rather than what he thought was going on.

Once again the pacing was closer to "classic" Who, which I rather enjoyed. Something I didn't like was the wobbly camera, particularly on the interior TARDIS scenes.
            we ALL fear the "it's shakey cam, I use it now, cause it's cool"..........

I really like the new character, Danny Pink. Hmmm, we also had Journey Blue in this episode and next episode I strongly suspect we will get

Spoiler:

Will Scarlett

Well, colours are big motivators
            I do like the Doctor's attitude in this. I am strongly reminded of the 7th Doctor and Ace. Slightly cold and mysterious with an agenda of his own that he isn't telling his companion about.
            He just says what he needs to say, rather than the open slather approach.
            Since when does the Doctor not like soldiers? He didn't have any problems with this lot...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/...7afbb903_z.jpg

6/10
            He has no problems with -working- with them, he does not like taking them as companions, the only standout to me on that front is Teela, and she was a WARRIOR, not a SOLDIER.
            Soldiers get indoctrinated, Warriors simply ARE.
            Last edited by Skydiver; 09 September 2014, 05:44 PM.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

He seems like an ex-Junior Officer to me. British Army. If he was RAF, Navy or Marines I doubt he'd refer to himself a soldier.
              A 2nd Lieutenant then?
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

They were not that small........And the Dalek interior is littered with lots of convenient ledges and walkways? Really?

And passages to walk and crawl in.... Really?

Why didn't he just use the sonic to make the Dalek case open and do the operation full size? Would the antibodies still attack if you opened the Dalek full size?

Overall still an entertaining episode and I loved his line about the miniaturizer being a good idea for a movie 'wink'.....

Better then last week 7/10
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I did like this one, but not as much as last week. I'd like to see the Doctor become himself. Maybe I'm just impatient, but I hope he clears out the cobwebs soon. I'm not a fan of Clara being the "carer", as if she has to take care of the Doctor. (although I did like his comment about her caring so he doesn't have to) I realize the companions due take care of the doctor in some ways, but I don't want them to make him into a bumbling grumpy dude that can't get along without her. I like seeing his sassy, hard edges. I did not like the slap either.

Comment

Yeah I watched again on Iview........ That slap did bother me.....
                    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                      A 2nd Lieutenant then?
                      Unlikely. 2nd Lts are usually very young, and promotion from 2nd Lt to Lt to Capt is time based. A Junior Officer does not spend particularly long as a 2nd Lt, it's especially rare to see a 2nd Lt deploy. Given the age that Danny is he would likely have been either a 1st Lt or a Capt. It's highly unlikely that a 2nd Lt would leave at that rank...

Given his apparent combat experience, particularly in fighting OTHER soldiers, combined with the actor's age (born 1982)... we'll assume he's maybe a year or two older than that... I'm going to assume that he was involved in Op Iraqi Freedom during the conventional component prior to the insurgency. That would have placed him at about 21-23 years old during the conflict. Assuming he as a direct entrant from school into Sandhurst, I imagine he could JUST about have made it to 1st Lt and been involved in front line ops. That would give him a fair bit more time to get promoted to Captain afterwards, before leaving.

Of course, he COULD be non-commissioned, but they TEND to be a bit more... jack the lad, and shall we say... Mickey Smith or Jake as opposed to Danny Pink. This is, of course, a stereotype.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Unlikely. 2nd Lts are usually very young, and promotion from 2nd Lt to Lt to Capt is time based. A Junior Officer does not spend particularly long as a 2nd Lt, it's especially rare to see a 2nd Lt deploy. Given the age that Danny is he would likely have been either a 1st Lt or a Capt. It's highly unlikely that a 2nd Lt would leave at that rank...

Given his apparent combat experience, particularly in fighting OTHER soldiers, combined with the actor's age (born 1982)... we'll assume he's maybe a year or two older than that... I'm going to assume that he was involved in Op Iraqi Freedom during the conventional component prior to the insurgency. That would have placed him at about 21-23 years old during the conflict. Assuming he as a direct entrant from school into Sandhurst, I imagine he could JUST about have made it to 1st Lt and been involved in front line ops. That would give him a fair bit more time to get promoted to Captain afterwards, before leaving.

Of course, he COULD be non-commissioned, but they TEND to be a bit more... jack the lad, and shall we say... Mickey Smith or Jake as opposed to Danny Pink. This is, of course, a stereotype.
                        Yeah, NCOs are a bit "shouty" in my experience. Danny is used to giving orders and having them obeyed.
                        sigpic
                        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                          They were not that small........And the Dalek interior is littered with lots of convenient ledges and walkways? Really?

And passages to walk and crawl in.... Really?

Why didn't he just use the sonic to make the Dalek case open and do the operation full size? Would the antibodies still attack if you opened the Dalek full size?
                          I suspect having to fill an hour with story had something to do with it....

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post

Spoiler:

Will Scarlett

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/...7afbb903_z.jpg

6/10
                            Since he became a soldier in the Time war. An hate the fact that he is one damn good solder , the last thing he needs is someone tagging along reminding himself of that fact.

As for the doctor clearing cobwebs out, I 'm not sure that is happening anytime, especially as he look like he was going to collapse at least twice in the Tardis. I think those extra regenerations were tampered with.
                            Last edited by Skydiver; 09 September 2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

1. Hmmm...whole thing felt more "Innerspace" than spacey-wacey. Pretty sure old-school Who did something similar!

2. OK, you knew something was going to go wrong when the Doctor seemed to have solved the problem with 20 mins still on the clock!

3. Should one Dalek have been able to take out a whole army? I guessthey were caught off guard!

4. Missy again? OK...

Pretty solid!
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                                1. Hmmm...whole thing felt more "Innerspace" than spacey-wacey. Pretty sure old-school Who did something similar!
                                That would be The Invisible Enemy, with the Fourth Doctor & Leela. They were both miniaturised and injected into the Doctor's brain in order to destroy the Nucleus of the Swarm. Leela left a bangle and some other bits and bobs in the Doctor's brain. No wonder he acts oddly sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X