Destiny must have self repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
    You're grasping at straws here, so far you haven't posted a single shred of evidence from the show, whereas everything I said is properly sourced/established canon.
    Show me your proof or concede the point.

Ancient tech is remarkably resilient. Everything they built was made to last and still functions after millions of years. The fact that you refuse to accept (show)reality shows a lack of imagination.
    - Stargates last millions of years,
    - the Dakara "weapon" was still fully functional with an intact powersource,
    - the Repositories of Knowledge - still fine.
    - The gate destroyer used by Anubis - Ancient tech and still operational, power source intact, shield...,
    - all the tech Merlin left - it still works,
    - Atlantis in top condition, the only damage ever caused was from lack of power to properly maintain the shield.

That's just how the Ancients made things. Accept the show's established canon.
    Destiny is older than all those things you mention. It is older than any star gate in either of the two galaxies (Pegasus or Milky Way). It is orders of magnitude older than Atlantis. It is older than all the repositories of knowledge. It is the oldest piece of Ancient technology known to exist.

You just aren't getting it.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
      Destiny is older than all those things you mention. It is older than any star gate in either of the two galaxies (Pegasus or Milky Way). It is orders of magnitude older than Atlantis. It is older than all the repositories of knowledge. It is the oldest piece of Ancient technology known to exist.

You just aren't getting it.
      I would say that you're not. As I have told you - the Ancients are able to create tech that lasts a really long time. Here's another example: the communication stones - which date from before the Ori-Ancient split (like the pair in the Ori galaxy), before they colonized the Earth or built Destiny. They still work fine.

I'm still waiting for your proof from the show.
      Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Think of it this way. If the chance an Ancient drive failing is 1 billionth of a percent, and this chance doubles every 100,000 years, what number do you end up with? 2 to the 50th power is a huge number. It is like the fable of the girl who asked for one grain of rice on the first square of the chess board, then double each square. Only more so. You end up at absolute certainty of failure long before you hit that 5 millionth year.

It is 11259% chance of failure. Those odds are worse than Vegas even! I cannot get past the math on this one. Without self repair, for at least part of its journey, Destiny should be completely derelict by now.
        Pulling numbers out of thin air and doing some maths with them doesn't prove your claim. It doesn't even do anything to assist your claim, all it does is demonstrate that you're clutching at straws in an attempt to try and argue a claim that has no evidence on which you can rely to back it up.

Comment

Clutching at straws eh? All I am doing is making logical arguments. If the show doesn't match up, it loses a fan, but the show doesn't need fans right?

We have people basically making two contradictory arguments; that Ancient tech is incredibly robust and never (NEVER!) breaks down on its own, and that Destiny us falling apart (why, just look at how the incredibly robust Ancient CO2 scrubber failed all on its own, on a ship that never had atmosphere!). Both of these arguments cannot be true.

So you can say what you want about logic, but you probably won't be watching a Stargate spin off a year from now if the writing really does turn out to be that bad. If it is shown the writers really put that little thought into the concept.

I am reminded of that family guy where Stephen King is in the publishers office, pitching his next book. All he does is look around, and says "the book is a bout a . . . . lamp! Yeah, a killer lamp..."

PS. Wasn't the whole point of SGU to be more gritty and real? Well, then I think they have to start being a bit more realistic how stuff lasts. There a few directions the show can take. They can take inspiration from Moonraker (which you seem to prefer), or they can take inspiration from more realistic spy movies.
          Last edited by kwlafayette; 27 May 2010, 03:53 AM.

Comment

You guys don't seem to care much if the show makes any sense. But I do not want to be around with Stan and Kyle, hanging out with Indy, when Lucas and Spielberg show up with a ball gag.

Comment

Clutching at straws eh? All I am doing is making logical arguments.
              Nope, arguments are based on facts. You don't have any in accordance to show canon.

If the show doesn't match up,
              Then the argument is in error.
              it loses a fan, but the show doesn't need fans right?
              It's your choice if you want to watch the show.

We have people basically making two contradictory arguments; that Ancient tech is incredibly robust and never (NEVER!) breaks down on its own, and that Destiny us falling apart (why, just look at how the incredibly robust Ancient CO2 scrubber failed all on its own, on a ship that never had atmosphere!). Both of these arguments cannot be true.
              Yes they could. It's your unwillingness to accept a diverse and rich universe that gets in the way.
              So you can say what you want about logic, but you probably won't be watching a Stargate spin off a year from now if the writing really does turn out to be that bad. If it is shown the writers really put that little thought into the concept.
              It's your choice.

PS. Wasn't the whole point of SGU to be more gritty and real? Well, then I think they have to start being a bit more realistic how stuff lasts. There a few directions the show can take. They can take inspiration from Moonraker (which you seem to prefer), or they can take inspiration from more realistic spy movies.
              I'm sorry that it doesn't suit your tastes. There are 6 billion of us and we all have different opinions, and some might differ more than others.
              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

I am beginning to see that it is possible. The show really could be that bad.

Comment

the most likely assumption indeed is that the self-repair is damaged

Comment

I am beginning to see that it is possible. The show really could be that bad.
                    You gotta relax dude. The show is great, better than any prior SG series in fact, but it's science fiction. Name a scifi show that didn't have some inconsistencies? They all do.

Like I said earlier, I tend to agree that Destiny surviving so long without repairs seems unlikely, but the fact is that it hasn't been addressed by the writers yet. They may very well explain it in a future episode or they may never go there at all. Until they do, why get so bent out of shape about it?

Comment

I won't get bent out of shape. I would long since have stopped wasting my time at that point. I suspect I would not be alone.

What gets me bent out of shape is people who expect me to believe "show canon"; that everything the Ancients ever made, with the sole exception of CO2 scrubbers, is still in existence today and still working perfectly fine. If the show turns out to be crap, it will be because of fans like that who demand mediocrity or worse.

Originally posted by thekillman
                      the most likely assumption indeed is that the self-repair is damaged
                      That does answer the original question posed in the thread. Glad someone at least gave it some consideration.

Comment

It is 11259% chance of failure.
                        You fail at probabilities forever.

If your calculations even so much as allow the possibility of probabilities greater than 100%, then your method is fundamentally flawed.
                        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

he forgot the comma after the first one. a 1,1259% probability

Comment

Originally posted by HaMm3r View Post
                            You gotta relax dude. The show is great, better than any prior SG series in fact, but it's science fiction. Name a scifi show that didn't have some inconsistencies? They all do.
                            There are minor inconsistencies, and then there is Jar Jar Binks. Two different categories entirely. Some things are just too weak to overlook.

Comment

There are minor inconsistencies, and then there is Jar Jar Binks. Two different categories entirely. Some things are just too weak to overlook.
                              Whether or not a ship was repaired centuries or millenia before the series even started would not fall into the latter category, IMHO. We get that it bothers you, but does it detract from the show? No.

If it makes you feel better, we'll all pretend that some time back the blue aliens found the ship floating dead in space from unrepaired damage. They started to fix it, but as soon as enough core systems came back online, Destiny jumped away on her own to continue the mission the BA didn't know about. Consequently, the aliens are chasing the ship because the BA Captain left his favorite screwdriver aboard and wants it back!

Comment

Was it just me thunking that the Destiny's repair bots have been in storgae until they got busted out to help with the FTL drive going KABOOM?
                                Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Working...
                                X