Travelers Season 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelers Season 3

Brad Wright's Travelers, Season 3 drops tomorrow on Netflix - anyone else excited? I'm thinking Amanda Tapping may have a bigger role this season...
    sigpic
    signature art by lunasera

Originally posted by lunasera View Post
    Brad Wright's Travelers, Season 3 drops tomorrow on Netflix - anyone else excited? I'm thinking Amanda Tapping may have a bigger role this season...
    Well well, *rubs hands maniacally* that's very good news, thanks! I actually re-watched the whole series a couple months ago, I am poised for more Travelers.

I expected this show to become stale as seasons went on, but so far its only getting better.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
      Well well, *rubs hands maniacally* that's very good news, thanks! I actually re-watched the whole series a couple months ago, I am poised for more Travelers.

I expected this show to become stale as seasons went on, but so far its only getting better.
      I agree! I love this show - I'm surprised there aren't more fans here with the huge amount of Stargate actors lol (I guess that's the Vancouver syndrome)
      sigpic

Comment

Well the cast and crew were all up at the midnight release on twitter excited about it too - this show deserves more attention!

Was nice to get some tweet love from Dr. Dale Volker
        sigpic

Comment

I do like this show a lot.

S1 was a bit jumbled (?) but many season 1's are.

I have been very pleased with S2 and 3. It has become much more centrally themed and focused (for lack of a better descriptor) to the traveler mission

on the conscious transfer, what is the opinion? that is, what is the mechanism that allows it to happen?

I know that a Traveler's mind is basically 'downloaded'/ programmed into software(?) and then packaged for a data transfer through time.

but how? how is the time travel done? Is it solely through networking using tech? If so, how is the connection made through time done from a future where the infrastructure is largely gone and then matched to current tech?

Follow?

(note-- i am by no means any kind of tech guy. I can use my PC and understand basics but after that ZILCH! I am a social sciences person by training and experience (mental health counseling)

so be gentle

------------------------------------------------------
          on another note-I am happy to have a place to talk about this show! the place where I was at, everyone suffers from 'brad wright derangement syndrome". that is, they believe he is solely responsible for the end of SG and therefore anything he has done since must be garbage.

therefore, if i even brought up the subject of travelers all i got was stuff like "more of Wright's conscious transfer stone nonsense like in SGU"

Uggghhhh!!!!

Comment

Been avoiding this thread because of potential spoilers, I'm at 307 now and will discuss more in-depth once I'm done (which should be very soon, probably after this weekend)

On another note, I believe that show should not be analyzed in depth in terms of technology, as I heard rumors that Wright himself during an interview on SG admitted he wasn't too good on the technical / science / physics aspects of time travel. I'm now reconsidering if that's even true, why would he go off to create a show that is 100% based on time travel

It's a really good show, a one-of-a-kind show in my opinion, it has a very unique vibe to it. Probably one of the only show that a super-powerful AI is portrayed as a benevolent identity (well until now, it might change I guess who knows)

I really love it so far, also nice to see familiar SG actors faces in there.

Episode 306
            Spoiler:
            Really enjoyed this episode. I always enjoyed Louis Ferreira, which I came to know in SGU, and really this was a great send-off to close the loop on his character. The hate/brolove relationship between him and MacLaren was enjoyable, both men being quite similar even though they had very different missions and styles.

The Asian historian that dies during the update was a brutal wake-up call.

Got to admit I love seeing the whole confusion around the new Connaker, from an alcoholic wife-beater to a super-passive guy
            Last edited by Chaka-Z0; 04 January 2019, 10:53 AM.
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I'm watch 1-5 so far and it has been excellent, through they are abusing the memory inhibitors a bit.

I think the future must be getting better, at least for the director who abilities and capabilities seem to be growing and he doing things the team simply don't know how he doing them. I'm wondering through, why things may have gotten more advance and the director time travel capabilities have increase, whether the situations for humans have gotten worse. Through the traveller occupying Connaker body does seem a lot happier and cheerful than other travelers, including our team. I so want a episode set in the future.

I bet the eastern european hackers will turn out to be a rogue AI. Which explains why the director had to create a AI to defeat them and not simply deploy a team to kill them before they launch the attack, the creation of a new AI was no accident as the director tried to make it out to be.
              Last edited by knowles2; 07 January 2019, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Hmm so just finished up watching S03, and my cancellation sense is tingling... S04 hasn't been ordered has it?

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                I think the future must be getting better, at least for the director who abilities and capabilities seem to growing and he doing things the team simply don't know how he doing them. I'm wondering through, why things may have gotten more advance and the director time travel capabilities have increase, whether the situations for humans have gotten worse. Through the traveller occupying Connaker body does seem a lot happier and cheerful than other travelers, including our team. I so want a episode set in the future.
                I would love to see an episode in the future but at the same time I wouldn't. I like the mystery and unknown since we've never been really shown any scenes of what it looks like apart a few clips.
                Spoiler:

Comment

Spoiler:
                  The only thing I didn't understand about the final was why did he choose to warn Mayers about Helios, surely he doesn't want her to build the singularity engine does he? that just doesn't make sense to me.

Not sure what I would want to see in season 4,
                  Spoiler:
                  It hard to see Maclaren not surviving the world trade center and then going on to work on his own to save the future.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    The only thing I didn't understand about the final was why did he choose to warn Mayers about Helios, surely he doesn't want her to build the singularity engine does he? that just doesn't make sense to me.

Not sure what I would want to see in season 4,
                    Spoiler:
                    It hard to see Maclaren not surviving the world trade center and then going on to work on his own to save the future.
                    Spoiler:
                    the times they show when Mac is in the WTC is after know first crash. So, it is apparent that in the timeline he is in 9/11 doesn't happen. or maybe just not the WTC crash(?) or maybe it happens at a different date?

I think that he still warns Mayers about Helios so that she can still have some kind of notoriety? having that, she may use her fame in the science community to develop something other then the singularity engine

how about thoughts on what I posted above on the mechanism(s) of the actual conscious time travel? I get about the creation of a 'packaged mind' to send, just how are they sending it through time?

Wormhole/ slingshot it around the sun (ala Star trek ) to create a time travel field?

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      the times they show when Mac is in the WTC is after know first crash. So, it is apparent that in the timeline he is in 9/11 doesn't happen. or maybe just not the WTC crash(?) or maybe it happens at a different date?

I think that he still warns Mayers about Helios so that she can still have some kind of notoriety? having that, she may use her fame in the science community to develop something other then the singularity engine

how about thoughts on what I posted above on the mechanism(s) of the actual conscious time travel? I get about the creation of a 'packaged mind' to send, just how are they sending it through time?

Wormhole/ slingshot it around the sun (ala Star trek ) to create a time travel field?
                      Haven't got a clue how they are sending consciousnesses through time.

But stopping 9/11 is a big thing to change.

Comment

It's hard to tell since there is not much technobabble in this show, I don't think it ever was Wright's strongest point, as he self-admitted that.

Anyone knows if we're going to get a 4th season? Judging by the finale I'm not sure we will
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                          It's hard to tell since there is not much technobabble in this show, I don't think it ever was Wright's strongest point, as he self-admitted that.

Anyone knows if we're going to get a 4th season? Judging by the finale I'm not sure we will
                          No news yet, but NF took Trav's off of canada's SHOWCASE channel for S3, seems NF has faith in the show that the network didn't?

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...s-of-travelers

-------------------

I don't think they will ever get to the point of directly addressing exactly how things work either. We get a few snippets here and there. Many TPTBs I think, just kind of whistle away these issues and move on while they know fans are asking questions

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
                            No news yet, but NF took Trav's off of canada's SHOWCASE channel for S3, seems NF has faith in the show that the network didn't?

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...s-of-travelers

-------------------

I don't think they will ever get to the point of directly addressing exactly how things work either. We get a few snippets here and there. Many TPTBs I think, just kind of whistle away these issues and move on while they know fans are asking questions
                            I don't think that any of your/our questions will ever be answered. It seems from the getgo that this show was focused on storytelling without any technical / physics notions involved.

Personally, it doesn't really bother me for this particular show, as mixing physics and theories into time travel can become a mumbo-jumbo of techno babble and burden the show with the need to constantly explain itself.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Cancelled.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X