No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the part when it derailed the thread...

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
      Oh you definitely need to keep watching. S1 sets up a lot of what happens later, and boy does a lot happen later. It was quite possibly one of the best scifi series ever made.

And to make this OT: S9/S10 could have taken lessons from Straczinsky on how to make a menacing villain.
      Thanks everyone for the input. It sounds like it turns into a great show. I'm going to give it another try. I'm on the last season of The 4400 (which is an incredible show) and need something to watch after that.
      sigpic "We do get paid for this, right?"

Comment

Here Vlad, I derailed the thread and I'll put it right back on the track (I know how much you enjoy seeing S10 critiqued).

My DD is almost done with S10 and she was watching "Family Ties" this evening. I forgot how bad that "girl shopping excursion" scene was. My daughter's 11 and even she was like, "what the heck?"

ps I also posted my question on the Babylon 5 thread after I saw they had one if anyone wants to continue on the B5 topic.

Comment

Originally posted by HPMom View Post
          Thanks everyone for the input. It sounds like it turns into a great show. I'm going to give it another try. I'm on the last season of The 4400 (which is an incredible show) and need something to watch after that.

I watched B5 and enjoyed it, it was very well written and the canon was very important.

Yea, it is too bad that in S9 and 10 the show's canon was forgotten
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Here Vlad, I derailed the thread and I'll put it right back on the track (I know how much you enjoy seeing S10 critiqued).
            No, you didn't. We managed to include some insightful comparisons to keep it on topic It's way better than dragging in a sock to play with.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
              No, you didn't. We managed to include some insightful comparisons to keep it on topic It's way better than dragging in a sock to play with.
              Thanks!

Comment

My DD is almost done with S10 and she was watching "Family Ties" this evening. I forgot how bad that "girl shopping excursion" scene was. My daughter's 11 and even she was like, "what the heck?"

ps I also posted my question on the Babylon 5 thread after I saw they had one if anyone wants to continue on the B5 topic.
                I hated that episode. They just threw in Jaffa to make action, almost for no reason at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
                  I never understood that part in Stargate, or the Matrix.

"There is no spoon." *Elevator explodes underneath them for no reason at all.*
                  ? Trinity and Neo planted a bomb in it. That's why it explodes.

Something like "If you don't know how long the candle was burning, the meal was cooked a long time ago." Which is really funny if you think about it.
                  If you immediately realise the candlelight is fire. Then the meal is cooked a long time ago.

The way I see this proverb is some that someone's looking around their candle lit tent for ages trying to find a way to light their cook fire. Why over looking the fact that the candles which are providing light are fire.
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                    OT (GUSHING ALERT!):

Spoiler:
                    OMG! Some of the first season is pretty stiff. You need to watch all of it because what you think it a throw away ep comes back and bited them in their collective butts. It gets better. By the time S2 starts... Wow.

My favorite characters are G'Kar and Londo.

Heartwrending.

The man can't do romance. Just ignore it and concentrate on the story. Wow. Just... wow

yes, I am a Babylon-oholic. And proud of it!

Odd. The enemy (one of many) on B5 doesn't show up as much as the Ori. Yet the enemy is totally menacing/chilling. Unlike said priors. .

suse
                    OT: B5
                    Spoiler:

I thought the Cylon Colony from the BSG finale looked the Shadows from Babylon 5 (I think that was what they were called, it has been a while since I watched). Did anybody else think that?

Oh. And I liked Garibaldi too. I just saw the actor on TV the other day and it made me think of B5 He looks a lot older than when the series was on Gosh! The show was on what, almost 20 years ago?

Yes, I agree. The enemy in B5 made the priors look like dorks. Although, I did like Julian sands. That is until the end of the movie. I thought he gave up just a little too easily, him being the leader of a vast and strong army and all.

Comment

Well, thanks for putting *that* into my head. shudder. It's not that I don't think Sam doesn't shop for girly clothes and might have even gone shopping with Vala at some point. But not show up at the base that way. And of all the "bonding" things they could have done with Sam & Vala *that* was what they picked? sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                        Well, thanks for putting *that* into my head. shudder. It's not that I don't think Sam doesn't shop for girly clothes and might have even gone shopping with Vala at some point. But not show up at the base that way. And of all the "bonding" things they could have done with Sam & Vala *that* was what they picked? sigh.
                        They also shared a bottle of wine while on base. double sigh

Mike

Comment

I have a love and hate affair with season 9 and 10. I liked them much more than a lot of the crud that was in season 8, but there were many more wince-worthy moments for me in nine and ten. On one hand, I was happy to see more of Daniel being acheologyish than he'd been in ages. But Vala made him so grouchy sometimes, I was ready to send him Midol PMS.

And UGH. "Family Ties." I literally only watch that episode so I can find good material to include in fic or icons for slashing Daniel/Cameron and femmeslashing Sam/Vala. Otherwise, holy cow, was that ridiculous.

And I standby the fact that I like Cameron as a character and didn't mind his Golden Retriver puppyishness. But I wanted him to be added to the team under Sam's leadership, not as the leader himself. There were so many ways to write around AT's pregnancy and bring her back as a leader. Say she was at some sort of leadership training or something, ya know? If they wanted to focus on BB as a lead, do it from his perspective at joining SG-1 and perhaps learning from these more offworld-experienced people. They could have kept alot of his storylines while having him learn from Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c.
                          sigpic Heliosphere- multi-shipper, multi-thunker

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
                            I never understood that part in Stargate, or the Matrix.
                            OT Matrix philosophy talk:

Spoiler:
                            In the Matrix I get it. "It" being Descartes dream/evil demon theory.

The theory:
                            • In my dreams I experience the same things I do while awake.
                            • There is no way to tell the difference between my dream experiences and my waking experiences, therefore,
                            • It is possible that everything I do is happening in a dream and that the real world is just an illusion.

Next:
                            • Humans believe in the existence of a God who has created us and who is all powerful.
                            • God has the power to make us believe in things that we know (scientifically/mathematically) cannot be true, i.e. miracles, therefore,
                            • It is possible that even things we hold to be absolute truths can be proven wrong.

Finally:
                            • Instead of believing that God is responsible for these "deceptions", there is an evil demon (the Matrix), that has the same ability as God to cause these deceptions/miracles, therefore, there is reason to doubt the totality of what my senses tell me as well as the mathematical/scientific knowledge that I have.

In conclusion:
                            • There is no spoon. (The evil demon only wants you to think there is, so bend it dummy.)

But in Stargate, there's no other Ancients that talk like that. I'm just not sure what they were trying to accomplish there. As for the whole "candle" proverb, I suppose it's that trying to hard to understand/find something (the candle) makes you miss out on, or spoil, the exerience you're having (the meal). Or something.

Originally posted by mapsc View Post

Mike
                            I hadn't even thought of that. That's hardly professional.

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                            Oh! And I forgot to add - making the characters act out of character or lose 100 IQ points to make a stupid plot point work

Seasons 9 & 10 took the Idiot Plot to a whole new level. (For example: Cameron: I've never been on this ship, heck, I've never even seen one. Now excuse me while I leave all of you knowledgable people behind, board this vessel and the save the day.)
                            Last edited by Ashizuri; 30 April 2009, 01:58 PM.
                            Originally posted by Callista
                            Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                            Originally posted by HPMom
                            She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                              OT Matrix philosophy talk:

But in Stargate, there's no other Ancients that talk like that. I'm just not sure what they were trying to accomplish there. As for the whole "candle" proverb, I suppose it's that trying to hard to understand/find something (the candle) makes you miss out on, or spoil, the exerience you're having (the meal). Or something.
                              I always thought it meant that once you accept something for what it really is, you’ve attained your goal, which is knowledge and enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by mapsc View Post

Mike
                                Though at least it was in Vala's room, not in the office, and I don't think Sam was on duty. I think she was in civvies. I don't know, I try to block that episode from my mind.

What was the ep where I think it was Daniel & Cam having some beers in Daniel's office?

Comment

Working...
                                X