This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katikatnik View Post
    According to Melissa Scott's LJ, she's currently working on an SG-1 book with Jo Graham called "Moebius Squared", and she's also writing an SG-1 book on her own, "Ouroboros".
    That sounds good. I do miss the SG1 novels.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha.Majka View Post
      I know, I would like to have my card, but I am a student for now and I am not sure I will have money for these things But one day, I will go to bank and I will get a card for online shopping. I hope that the facility which sell these things won't go bankrupt.

Btw, where do you live in the Czech republic ?
      Well you could always try Ebay, second hand, excellent quality Stargate novels for as little as $2 or $3 and you can pay by paypal. I've even bought bundles of books from Ebay in the USA (8 SGA novels INCLUDING Exogeneses, Halcyon and the Chosen for $8 the lot + $9 postage) and Ebay Australia.

Even if you can't afford them now its someting to keep in mind for when you can.
      Last edited by gottaluvit; 19 July 2010, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gottaluvit View Post
        Well you could always try Ebay, second hand, excellent quality Stargate novels for as little as $2 or $3 and you can pay by paypal. I've even bout bundles of books from Ebay in the USA (8 SGA novels INCLUDING Exogeneses, Halcyon and the Chosen for $8 the lot + $9 postage) and Ebay Australia.

Even if you can't afford them now its sometine to keep in mind for when you can.
        Yes, I know what you mean about keeping these informations in mind. Thank you so much. I don't have many sources where I can find information .. or people who would tell me something about it.
        Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
        / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
          But why did they remove it from my list entirely, saying it was not possible to deliver and they give up now? They could just leave it in my basket and tell me I get it later? Now I have to order it again. This will be the third time I am ordering this book now.
          I queried this with Fandy and they said they had no knowledge of where Amazon had pulled the date from. The book is approved, and I believe Tom is literally shepherding it through the printing process as we speak. It will be out on the shelves well before that spurious Amazon date. One of the problems was the change of title and the subsequent change of ISBN because it's no longer called Shadows. I still prefer Shadows as a title.
          Last edited by StevenSavile; 20 July 2010, 08:56 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSavile View Post
            I still prefer Shadows as a title.
            I agree. The current title is a bit of a mouthful. I prefer short titles, one or two words, those have a bigger impact.

Comment

But stay away from James Swallow's "Nightfall". That one was painful to read - OOC behavior and terrible mistakes - and I was glad that I wasn't the only one thinking so after reading the Amazon reviews.
              What was wrong with nightfall? Don't you like the asgard

Comment

I agree. The current title is a bit of a mouthful. I prefer short titles, one or two words, those have a bigger impact.
                I prefer short names of books too, but sometimes you have to explain a content of the book and you need more words then 2. I see that when I write FanFiction .. and I have to find a name for it.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSavile View Post
                  I queried this with Fandy and they said they had no knowledge of where Amazon had pulled the date from. The book is approved, and I believe Tom is literally shepherding it through the printing process as we speak. It will be out on the shelves well before that spurious Amazon date. One of the problems was the change of title and the subsequent change of ISBN because it's no longer called Shadows. I still prefer Shadows as a title.
                  Thank you, Steven. They removed it from Amazon.de entirely. At the moment it is not possible to order. But my friend says, Amazon.com still has it. But for delivery costs I rather would order from the German Amazon.

I understood when the title was changed that they removed it from my basket and I ordered under the new title. But why now? Interestingly enough, they still have "Shadows" up, though...

Shadows: http://www.amazon.de/Shadows-Iblis-T...711068&sr=1-58

Power: http://www.amazon.de/Power-Behind-Th...711089&sr=1-61

So I just wait till it hits the shelves and then try whether I can order again?
                  Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
                    Thank you, Steven. They removed it from Amazon.de entirely. At the moment it is not possible to order. But my friend says, Amazon.com still has it. But for delivery costs I rather would order from the German Amazon.

I understood when the title was changed that they removed it from my basket and I ordered under the new title. But why now? Interestingly enough, they still have "Shadows" up, though...

Shadows: http://www.amazon.de/Shadows-Iblis-T...711068&sr=1-58

Power: http://www.amazon.de/Power-Behind-Th...711089&sr=1-61

So I just wait till it hits the shelves and then try whether I can order again?
                    Why the Hell we don't have our own Amazon - Amanzon.cz ??

Comment

GermanAstra, yeah I'd probably check back in a couple of weeks on .de and it should repopulate. Amazon can be really weird at times dropping titles of their own free will.

It's funny, it's two years since I turned the book in, so going back over the proofs it was like reading something by a stranger. It's the first time I've really had that 'I don't recognise this' feeling...

As to the titles, Shadows, Shapeshifter and Trickster, the original three titles are absolutely 100% descriptive of the content if you know your Joseph Campbell as they're character archetypes in the 'hero's journey' but when it became apparent that we were going to have some serious delays etc with approval processes and eventual bumping of releases, there became no guarantee I'd have a slot in my schedule to dive straight into Shapeshifter, so I rewrote the end ever so slightly, to give it a kick in the teeth, and leave room for Shapeshifter, but make Power Behind the Throne much more self-sufficient. And there was an issue of another title having Shadow in it, so I agreed to change mine... so long story short, that's where Shadows came from... Throne, well, it's self-explanatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
                        What was wrong with nightfall? Don't you like the asgard
                        What was wrong with it? Okay, I'll post the review I posted to Amazon and GoodReads:

Spoiler:
                        It's really hard for me to somehow rate this book. You see, on the one hand, it was really good - the plot was quite intriguing and well plotted - on the other hand, quite often I asked myself if the author had even seen SGA. Why? Well...

a) He got some of the most basic SG "hard facts" wrong - according to him, the 'gate wormhole goes both ways!
                        b) The characterization. Oh, boy. Teyla kept snapping/barking/snarling. Rodney either whined or he was painfully meek, his acerbic - and intelligent - humor was completely absent etc. etc.
                        c) The author moved the plot forward through completely illogical decisions on the part of the main characters. Example? Carter forced Sheppard to take Keller, an untrained doctor who refused to even accept a gun, with his team - on a recon mission to a possibly hostile planet! When Teyla and Ronon were kidnapped in a space ship, Sheppard and the Marines went searching for them - on foot!
                        d) The author's style... If I hear "the Athosian woman" or "the warrior woman" or "the P-90 submachine gun" or "the submachine gun" again, I will scream!

I think that Swallow would benefit from either having a co-author or a better editor.

To sum it up? My least favorite SGA book so far. I won't be re-reading it any time soon, that's for sure.

And that was just a few points that really, really irked me. Like, really. The average fanfic is better.

Comment

Joe Graham has posted the prologue to SGA: Legacy here- http://jo-graham.livejournal.com/73616.html?#cutid1

It's the entire prologue to the book so of course there be spoilers

Definitely can't wait now!

Comment

So, any opinions on the new books? Reading the reviews on Amazon, "The Power Behind the Throne" seems to have a LOT of factual mistakes in it, regarding both the characters and the 'gate, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. Can anyone here confirm it? And so far, "Four Dragons" has only one glowing review and I, being my regular doubting me, would like to read more opinions before buying it. Anyone?

Comment

Okay, I promised myself I wouldn't get involved when I read the reviews, because they appear so *accurate* themselves, and after this single post I'm not going to make a habit of defending choices made in the book, some will like it, some will hate it, that's rather as it should be... but here's the thing: they aren't mistakes, what the reviewer has missed is that when the gate is dislodged by a dying star it isn't just a 'gate hop' to the next gate, it's dislodged in space AND time... so the whole rationale they pose doesn't actually apply. This *is* explained in the book. I'll concede Mayberry is a screw-up, I must have been emailing a friend of mine at the time (Jonathan Mayberry, the horror writer) and subliminally switched names and just not seen it. It's embarrassing that after a dozen reads it survived, but I'll content myself with pretending Jon's just a character with great potential for evil no one has met yet.

When he talks about Walter engaging the chevrons, he's wilfully looking for a mistake that isn't there - in plenty of episodes, even when an incoming gate is activating the gate a voice will call out as chevrons engage, like a countdown saying oh hell, in a few seconds it's gonna kick off... it doesn't mean *they* are engaging them... but when you are looking for mistakes you'll fasten on to anything and point 'there!'

Difference between a female hand and a male one, after being cut off vapourised by a gate shutting down - the hand's damaged, that's all.

But, because of the end of book rewrite to make it a standalone - initially it was going to be glaringly obvious about the time travel aspect, they were going to return home to a Cheyenne Mountain decked out in the red and black of Iblis and an entirely new 'history' for the last 50 years that echoed a triumph of nazism, and have to put right what their interference in space history has put wrong, but with dates for delivery etc being so long it became pointless to actually pursue a series that might take 4-6 years for all three volumes to appear.

So what I'd say is, make your own opinions up, don't automatically assume that because someone says 'Oh x hasn't watched the series,' or 'y is a dick' that they're going to be right - sometimes the people saying that haven't read closely enough and have missed the explanations they don't want to see.

But, hey, maybe it really is as bad as they say? I don't know, I mean the feedback from MGM was complimenting the capturing of the character voices, but the reviews seem to suggest they're wildly missed. I think with most things it's in the eye/ear of the beholder. Personally I hope people have a good time with it, but that's only natural.
                              Last edited by StevenSavile; 05 September 2010, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Fair enough. Some of the SGA books that I loved to pieces, others criticized endlessly. I will buy it and read it and post my own review, as I do with all the SG-1/SGA books that I read. And as my review of "Nightfall" proves, I'm not shy to point out mistakes myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X