GateWorld Fan Art Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraithtech: you're welcome.

Platschu: there are several points about your post that merit an answer but this an ART thread not a place to berate the owner or the Staff.You aren't privy to moderation matters,deep detail from the people PH apparently accused , or conversations between PH and the staff - and that's the case whoever is mentioned.
    You talk of "peace" yet what you've said derails this thread.

PM me or wait on an answer from Darren before you make any other claims.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

GUYS!! GUYS!!

I was just asking a question for clarification. And I don't expect Andrew to know right away -- I'm sure he converses with the GW-team about such matters.

Don't get your mivonks in a twist...

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Those rules and snippets from the FAQ were uploaded a long time ago,and I know there may be some changes ahoy once Darren's able to re-work the fanfic gallery.
      I honestly never seen the FF archive on Gateworld in action so I cannot comment on what went on in there. But much like fanfic, art is a fan's creation to celebrate their favorite show or aspects of it, and that includes the wonderful world of shipping.

Naturally artwork has to be PG or G, or what is that other system, T? That's the forum's setting so I think it's logical that's the top rating. Anything above a PG-13 is obviously off-limits (no issues whatsoever with that).

If GW was as discriminatory as some claim,those threads would never have been allowed or they'd have been far more heavily modded than shipper threads.
      That's not cool -- GW might not be, or isn't -- but the same cannot be said for some of its users. Don't have to tiptoe around that. We were all there (well, the gang of Political Thread nitwits anyway -- don't tell em I said that).

(By the way,isn't it a bit dated nowadays for fans to call the same sex pairings "Slash" and het pairings "Ship" as if love is a different beast for straight vs LGBT QI pairings?
      Don't look at me, I have no idea.

Okay, I looked it up.

O.M.G. -- I looked it up and the use is over 40 years old already. You may blame the Star Trek fandom for the use of slash apparently (made popular by Kirk/Spock of the original series). Fascinating stuff -- slash terminology (fanlore wiki) (for anyone interested). Who knew.

Though, I do would like to know the rules and I would obviously be disappointed if PG m/f relationships were allowed to be featured and not m/m or f/f.

@Platschu -- I'm not advocating for higher ratings. I like PG/G/13/T whatever is YA (young adult) to keep it in the "family-friendly" corner. I just need that confirmation that "family-friendly" means all families and friends.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Okay, I have sent a longer PM for you, Bagpuss. Apology, I didn't want to off this thread.

Back to SG art. Here are a few more ideas:

Could the GW (Darrell) contact such people who are responsible for the art design of the SG shows? It would be interesting to see and hear how they plan a design of props, so please make an interview with them.

Or it would be also nice to make an official book which would collect all the sketches, drawings, art work of the 3 SG shows (and the Stargate:Worlds), so maybe MGM would consider to release it. Maybe the should make some nice photos about props as well. JM posted lots of pictures on his blog, but it would be nice if they could officially scan those. I believe every fan would be happy with such a nice book. Even the income of such SG related merchandise product could support a new SG show.

I also suggested on Stargate : Command that they should make a "virtual SG museum". So they should make some HQ photos about such props, set pieces, outfits which were not sold yet, so every fans could have a closed looks. Maybe it should be an all-access material.

I can't expect to have a studio tour like Harry Potter in Vancouver, but it would been so cool. I hope if they make any other SG movie or series, than they will make such 3D photos where the fans could "walk around" on the set.

Or they should hire a photographer to visit those locations in Vancouver where they have shot SG-1. I know there are some collections online, but it would be cool to see more in an official book.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Falcon,I hear you.For the record I possess no mivonks.( I learn something new every day.)

Interesting stuff re the link about Slash.

Yep,regrettably, political and certain other opinions are very divisive,often end up in personal issues and flames, and that's why the Ignore feature and report button are very useful here.
          Basically the Staff can't be everywhere to make sure nobody is offended by other Members' opinions,but we try a lot harder than some may think!

Now -back to Art.

I'm useless on creating art,but love to see it in its many forms.

FAO Andrew:
          do you want links posted in here to Stargate artists and other relevant GW threads,or would you prefer recs via Private message?

PS: Getting to your PM asap,Platschu!
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I do think one thing folks need to bear in mind....copyright.

Did you know, actors can have 100% control over anything with their image on it? Such as signing off on any book cover or poster. ANd without them signing off on it the item will not be made.

But since this forum strives to maintain a friendly relationship with MGM and folks associated with it, there may be tighter rules and restrictions here than on a random fan run forum.

It’s not unknown for copyright holders to have a very hands off approach - such as I recall hearing that JK Rowling is rather open with what she allows with her characters and universe as long as certain lines are not crossed. Other fandoms are very tightly regulated. I recall that the Star Wars fandom was very controlled with C&D letters going out frequently.

My point is, regardless of what fans think should be done, ultimately the decision may be guided by what the copyright owners allow to be done.

With that in mind, while we do welcome ideas and suggestions, there may be things happening ‘above our pay grade’ so to speak, that we simply have to allow and go along with.

As has been said, let’s give Darren time to check into and make his guidelines known and folks can go from there.
            Last edited by Skydiver; 27 March 2018, 04:54 AM.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              I also suggested on Stargate : Command that they should make a "virtual SG museum". So they should make some HQ photos about such props, set pieces, outfits which were not sold yet, so every fans could have a closed looks. Maybe it should be an all-access material.
              PLEASE, don't give them that idea... it should be accessible for every fan.

Falcon,I hear you.For the record I possess no mivonks.( I learn something new every day.)
              Wait, mivonks aren't the equivalent of panties... ...wait... panties are underwear, right? Or a kind of... Did I mention English isn't my native language. (and neither is Hynerian)

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              Oh... good point.
              Totally overlooked that tiny bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Did you know, actors can have 100% control over anything with their image on it? Such as signing off on any book cover or poster. ANd without them signing off on it the item will not be made.

But since this forum strives to maintain a friendly relationship with MGM and folks associated with it, there may be tighter rules and restrictions here than on a random fan run forum.

It’s not unknown for copyright holders to have a very hands off approach - such as I recall hearing that JK Rowling is rather open with what she allows with her characters and universe as long as certain lines are not crossed. Other fandoms are very tightly regulated. I recall that the Star Wars fandom was very controlled with C&D letters going out frequently.

My point is, regardless of what fans think should be done, ultimately the decision may be guided by what the copyright owners allow to be done.

With that in mind, while we do welcome ideas and suggestions, there may be things happening ‘above our pay grade’ so to speak, that we simply have to allow and go along with.

As has been said, let’s give Darren time to check into and make his guidelines known and folks can go from there.
                And exactly that is why I rarely do fan arts, except of drawing characters as portraits, or when I know it is not minded to do other kinds of art

Comment

Hi, Everyone!

Thanks for your patience as the moderators revisited the question of fan art rules at GateWorld, and special thanks to Andrew for spearheading this new project! The new Fan Art Gallery will have curated content, fun contests for all artists to participate in, and more. It will live in the Stargate Gallery here:

https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/index.php?cat=94

There are three simple rules to follow if you'd like to post your art (or someone else's work, hopefully with their permission!) at GateWorld:
                  • Keep it rated "PG+" or below. This means nothing that would rise to the level of R-rated material (or above). "PG+" means that it may fall somewhere in the grey area between "PG" and "PG-13." It is finally up to the moderators and the site owner to determine if something is over the line; if you aren't sure, ask Skydiver or Baggie in private before you post it.<br/>
                  • Keep it tasteful. This is also at the discretion of the moderators. If you think it may be questionable, we'd ask that you kindly just clear it first.<br/>
                  • Respect the actors. These men and women make a living with their faces, and have a right to control their likeness. Some will be more hands-off and easygoing about fan art than others. Err on the side of caution, particularly when it comes to matters of sexuality and relationship pairings. If and when it becomes known that a certain actor is uncomfortable with something, then that will be off-limits at GateWorld. (Note that this could entail removing work that was previously within these guidelines when it was first posted.)

The same rules will apply to art, fanfic, etc., both on GW Forum and on the main site. (There is no rule with respect to het or slash stories and art.) Keep it "PG+", keep it tasteful, and respect the actors.

Stargate fandom and the GateWorld community have so many talented people! I can't wait to see what new work you all come up with, and what old favorites we decide to feature. Hopefully we can use GW as a platform to showcase your talent.

We do plan eventually to relaunch a new fanfic section at GateWorld. We had one more than a decade ago, which amassed more than 5,000 stories! I'm excited to finally bring it back.

~Darren

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Darren

Okay guys who is going to have a go at drawing a Milky Way Stargate for this weeks challenge?

I am going to have a go tonight and will post lots of sketches and show everyone my process! Hopefully by showing you my terrible thumbnails and sketches you can see that drawings don't have to be amazing!

keep the suggestions coming! Obviously the Fan Art Gallery is at a very early stage so it will be fun to watch it grow!

Comment

Thanks for that clarifying post, Darren

Comment

So, I thought I would share how I would go about doing a new bit of fan art for Stargate. You guys can give me some feedback!

I always start with rough thumbnail sketches. The amount of these differs between each image, sometimes I get it straight off sometimes it takes loads!

The weekly theme is currently The Milky Way Stargate, What better scene to do than the discovery of the gate in Giza!

Here Are the thumbnails.

thum 1.jpgthum 2.jpgthum 4.jpg

As you can see my sketching is very rough, but at this point they don't need to be super detailed. I am just thinking about composition.

After this I usually do a slightly more detailed Sketch

sketch fin.jpg

and then the process moves onto the computer!

Thats it for now expect another post soon explaining my digital process!

Would love to see other people process! also do you guys like this kind of post?

Comment

Nice, Andrew, just keep posting.

I have made these unfinished test gates in 2002 :
                          http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/albums/e.../Rajz-kapu.jpg
                          http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/albums/e...Rajz-kapu2.jpg
                          http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/albums/e...ajz-ekzar2.jpg
                          http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/albums/e...Rajz-ekzar.jpg
                          Please don't laugh as I have never learned how to draw. My teacher always believed I am talented, but I have never taught myself. As you can see I wanted to make the gate really accurate so I have made lots of calculations (the numbers with mm) as I have measured the parts of the stargate with a ruler on a photo. Never mind, it was 16 years ago and I was very enthusiastic. I feel old now.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Gates are very exacting subject matter! You are both talented.

I do like these kinds of posts. Many years ago, there were more artists sharing such process posts here, and it helps other fans, myself included, to create Stargate art too, to see different techniques and software available. You never know who is lurking, learning, and being inspired.

Comment

Perhaps, a good idea to post those guidelines in the first post too...

Originally posted by Andrew Charles Arts View Post
                              Okay guys who is going to have a go at drawing a Milky Way Stargate for this weeks challenge?
                              If you don't mind stickfigures, I'm game.

Though, I was planning on doing, for my end-of-semester self-picked 3D-project, a stargate.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              I have made these unfinished test gates in 2002 :
                              [snipped links]
                              Please don't laugh as I have never learned how to draw. My teacher always believed I am talented, but I have never taught myself. As you can see I wanted to make the gate really accurate so I have made lots of calculations (the numbers with mm) as I have measured the parts of the stargate with a ruler on a photo. Never mind, it was 16 years ago and I was very enthusiastic. I feel old now.
                              Question: can I use these to model my 3D stargate?
                              I need some drawings or images for it, and these look like a great add (credited of course).

Comment

Of course you can, if my picture helps. I am not really good at Photoshop and such digital drawing programs, so maybe you can upgrade it.

Comment

Working...
                                X