Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe (2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't find it a great stretch of the imagination:
    The Trees of Cheem where time sensitive.
    The trees in this episode where obviously time sensitive.
    There power being channelled by a woman who thought her husband had died & using that memory as a focal point. The mental power of that many time sensitive's could easily have protected the aeroplane bringing it through the vortex.
    Watch the beginning of Trial of a Time Lord (or all of it, I think its very underrated) to get an idea of how powerful many powerful minds can be in the Doctor Who universe.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
      I noticed everyone seems to have an issue with the spacesuit and Eleventh surviving in a vacuum for a short amount of time (we could hear him so I say there was an air tunnel), .

In the 4 to Doomsday story the Doctor survived in the vacuum of space for something like 10 min or so with just a oxy helmet. His time lord physiologiy was strong enough for that... If I recall correctly.
      So there is that precedence anyway.
      I like Sharky
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        but am I the only one who has a problem with a WW2 plane flying through the time vortex,
        Not at all. That's British engineering for you!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

You lot should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. A bigger lot of Grumpy Old Men I have never come across. This episode was made for the 7 pm slot on Christmas Day. I bet nearly every single one of the nation's children was tuned in and enjoyed it thoroughly. I personally couldn't give a toss whether the Doctor survived in a vacuum or went to Narnia. All I care about is that it was a lovely, feel-good Christmassy story that my daughter loved.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
            You lot should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. A bigger lot of Grumpy Old Men I have never come across. This episode was made for the 7 pm slot on Christmas Day. I bet nearly every single one of the nation's children was tuned in and enjoyed it thoroughly. I personally couldn't give a toss whether the Doctor survived in a vacuum or went to Narnia. All I care about is that it was a lovely, feel-good Christmassy story that my daughter loved.
            QFT.

If we can't have a bit of magic and 'feel-good' on Christmas day, when can we have it? Christmas is a time for miracles, and I would have been thoroughly unimpressed with anything less than a happily ever after at the end of that episode, despite my general appreciation of darker approaches to storytelling.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

"Come along now Jo, you know very well that it's science and not magic that wins the day".

sigpic
              Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                "Come along now Jo, you know very well that it's science and not magic that wins the day".

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/Connell1967/miracles.jpg
                'There are more things in heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in you philosophy, even yours Doctor.'

Charles-Dickens.jpg

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                  Yeah well, I don't watch it because I care what British children think; I watch it because I enjoy well-written and entertaining television. That, this episode, was not. So...NYAH
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

'There are more things in heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in you philosophy, even yours Doctor.'

Oh.....Flap-Doodle!

sigpic
                    Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Yeah well, I don't watch it because I care what British children think; I watch it because I enjoy well-written and entertaining television. That, this episode, was not. So...NYAH
                      Don't you mean "Bah Humbug"?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        I watch it because I enjoy well-written and entertaining television. That, this episode, was not.
                        Except it was.

Comment

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld...so1_r1_500.png
                          You will be Ex-Christmas-inated
                          Last edited by Bagpuss; 06 December 2014, 10:18 PM.
                          I like Sharky
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post

The Doctor: Magic, Leela? Magic?
                            Leela: I know; I know, there's no such thing as magic.
                            The Doctor: That's right. To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable; only unexplained.

Quite fun using The Doctor's own words to dismiss the overly magical wonderfulness of Christmas episodes when they don't attempt to explain anything with technobabble.
                            Last edited by Bagpuss; 06 December 2014, 10:19 PM. Reason: tag edited.

sigpic

Comment

It honestly bothers me that these specials assume everyone in the universe is Christian, and celebrates Christmas. I love Doctor Who, but these specials have a huge amount of arrogance built into them.

Comment

Yeah. Like Christmas is a Christian Holiday anymore.
                                I like Sharky
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X