No announcement yet.

Resistance (405)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW, happy too see Tesla again!!! And great episode, but Tesla eps a always good. B-Story was boring. Henry, I like more and more. He was great in this ep, with Tesla.

@KayLyne: Great review, but no, I don´t think she looks older, but maybe that´s just me. Dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
      @KayLyne: Great review, but no, I don´t think she looks older, but maybe that´s just me. Dunno.
      I didn't notice that she looks older but I do notice she does look young when she is dressed in her usual black with black pants. With the hip length jacket in brown contrasted again the medium blue jeans did she look a bit like she was wearing mom jeans? That look does age a lady. hehe

Comment

I loved when Biggie put the short abnormal in the closet and locked the door!! lmao!! that had me rolling!! And then I about died with laughter when Will did the same thing!! OMG!! Loved the Will/Biggie storyline!!
        sigpic

Comment

LOVED THIS EPISODE.

The first of this season that I can say I really loved and enjoyed, and IMO the best so far.

A few things though:

- the whole node/interdimensional rift/'free' electricity thing is soooo SGA, I'm surprised Sanctuary basically knocked it off

- I'm getting really tired of this necessity to have a B story in every episode.... I don't see many other TV series having to do this, so I don't know why they can't just make the A story bigger and better and involve the other characters in it. The b stories are just so flat and just obviously filler

(That said - I think I missed the first 4-5 min of the b story because the file from eztv randomly cut to Burn Notice)

Comment

Originally posted by Julian View Post
            LOVED THIS EPISODE.

The first of this season that I can say I really loved and enjoyed, and IMO the best so far.

A few things though:

- the whole node/interdimensional rift/'free' electricity thing is soooo SGA, I'm surprised Sanctuary basically knocked it off

- I'm getting really tired of this necessity to have a B story in every episode.... I don't see many other TV series having to do this, so I don't know why they can't just make the A story bigger and better and involve the other characters in it. The b stories are just so flat and just obviously filler

(That said - I think I missed the first 4-5 min of the b story because the file from eztv randomly cut to Burn Notice)
            I totally went "SGA!!!!" when I saw the rift thingy! I'm surprised McKay didn't show up. Ah well, there was the tentacle thingy that was almost as annoying

And I agree about the B-plot

Overall, I loved the ep, but I might be biased because I adore Tesla

My favorite line: "I have faith in you". Oh my.

And "Nikky" has FANGURLS! That was fun!
            "Are you like, a crazy person?"
            "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Now this is a Sanctuary episode I can get behind.

So, maybe it wasn't mind-blowing. But it was the most harmonious I've seen all season. So far, it's either been just one plot per episode, or to plots that have nothing to do with each other and seems so incompatible that I'm scratching my head going "seriously?!". But this episode was good in that both A and B plots are independent of each other and yet doesn't take away from each other's themes and gravitas.

Both plots had to do with friends turning on friends. In the A-plot, Helen has to come to terms with the fact that her oldest living friend is working for the enemy. In the B-plot, Will and Biggie have to deal with the ramifications that this unspoken war has more than just one, or even two fronts. They have to deal with attacks from every angle, and they know it's only going to get worse. So while both both plots are ultimately resolved by closing credits, the overall themes is that it's not over yet. Not with Tesla, and not with the Hollow Earth Abnormals and the war they sparked.

There were several parts I loved in particular:

- EVENT HORIZON!!! I can't believe she actually said it...

-Tesla's rather touching acceptance that helen is his best friend. Sure, Henry had to point it out to him, but still... It made me smile a bit.

-Only Tesla could say "oogly googly" in a life-threatening situation with a straight face.

-Helen's anguished accusation at Tesla when Henry got yanked into the rift. I'm always of the opinion that TPTB don't take the time to fully explore the dynamic between Magnus and Henry-- she supposedly raised him, but we rarely see her act more tenderly towards him in comparison to anyone else. This kind of hinted at it.

I have to go, but I'll come back when I have more time to fully extoll the virtues of this episode. Again, maybe not mind-blowing like Tempus, or as gripping as Monsoon, but still-- it was solid.

Comment

I'm not really sure what to think of the ep. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't extremely good either. So far none of the eps have managed to surpass Tempus in awesomeness which is really a shame.

I did like Magnus and Henry teaming up and immediately thought of Tesla when Magnus mentioned something was off and I spotted the wine. I loved the crestfallen look on Tesla's face when Henry told him he'd be all alone on his private island because he just betrayed the best friend he's ever had and then Tesla quickly backtracked and tried to think of something nice to say.

Liked seeing Biggie again but thought the B-plot was kind of weak (but it's possible I missed something because I had the same problem as Julian). Maybe if they'll follow up on Galvo's people, their evil plans or do something with that tiny weapon he had it'd be better.

Have to say though that I prefer Will here in lesser quantities! Although it still felt like he's just doing everything the others do as well. First when Biggie locks Galvo in the closet he tries to look berating (a la Magnus) and next thing we know he's doing it himself, copying what Biggie was doing.

Also, what's up with all the time and money it takes to transport people to Hollow Earth? I'd think the Sanctuary or HE leftovers would have a quick and easy way for it. Now that Chili's out as an entrance they're looking for new ones, but what about the governments? Wouldn't they be trying to find/guard/destroy all the entrances too?

Loved all the Henry/Tesla/Magnus interactions and enjoyed how Magnus once again had to help Tesla out. Her lecturing him also never gets boring and I like how when he doesn't have a good retort, Tesla makes a comment about her being unpleasant when using rhetoricals.

Great acting by AT when Henry gets taken by the creature and Tesla's reaction to her reaction is very good as well.

I wonder how long Tesla will keep his position at Area 51 though... but I'm glad he decided to help the Sanctuary out by giving them all the information at the end.

Oh the Biggie/Magnus conversation in her office was also nice, I liked how he was protective of her. But I agree with him that it was a bad idea for Magnus and Henry to go (at the moment), since they're infiltrating an evil government lab where they're experimenting on Abnormals... sometimes I think Magnus forgets she's a very important Abnormal too as is Henry (he and Erika's clan are the only lycans left as far as we know). I'm sure there are plenty of people in power who'd love to have Magnus' longevity and I wouldn't put it past the governments to experiment on her if they'd get their hands on her.

That's about it for now, maybe I'll have more to say later on... It kind of feels like there isn't a lot to say about this episode in contrast to the previous ones.

Oh, I did have a problem understanding what some of them were saying at times because the background music was too loud or something... maybe I'll catch it on rewatch.

ETA:
                Ahh, just saw the scenes I'd missed. It all makes much more sense now

I felt the HE trip was a bit glossed over though, I hope they'll go into more detail about the consequences of all this in the coming episodes.

Have to admit Tesla's got guts to still try and flirt with Magnus in the 'dark narrow corridor' after she found out about him being the director of SCIU. Liked the rest of those scenes and the implication that "Nikky" ran from the danger
                Last edited by fems; 05 November 2011, 03:58 AM.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I wish they'd drop the B stories altogether, they're almost always lame

Comment

I've just watched the episode and the whole way through my fangirling brain was just going
                    "Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Tesla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So needless to say I think I'll need to rewatch it and pay better attention But some points for now...

Loved the Henry/Nikola interaction
                    * and considering I usually spend Helen/Nikola episodes constantly daydreaming about their relationship/friendship, it was a nice surprise to find myself more engrossed in Henry/Nikola's friendship
                    * he actually seems to take notice and give some weight to what Henry's saying to him (about how he's upset Helen etc.)
                    * Henry kinda puts Niko in his place and then Niko actually sort of apologises really doesn't he and congratulates Henry/Erica on having a baby (mazel tov?)
                    * Henry pushing Nikola out of the way of the abnormal - which I should also add I really liked the look of this episodes abnormal
                    * Nikola going to save Henry and bring him back (which counts some way towards an apology to Helen I think) - although I did wonder why Tesla used a knife to get Henry out - surely he could have got him out quicker with his claws? *ponders* or perhaps that's just my wishful thinking because I like his claws

And of course, it was the Nikola Tesla we've all come to know and love - that there really was a genuine desire to help at the base of his plans, they just always go pearshaped

And I'm really glad they had that little bit at the end showing Tesla actually is on their side
                    sigpic
                    ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      It kind of feels like there isn't a lot to say about this episode in contrast to the previous ones.
                      Well, we all seem to agree that Tesla rocks, and B-plots suck. No controversity - nothing to talk about. Doesn't have to mean that the ep was bad

Comment

YES! Nikola or should I say Niki...nope can't do that, that's my daughters name But YES we have Nikola back! Charming as ever.

Enjoyed the Biggie/Will/Galvo(sp?)..annoying pain in the mikta that little fella was but I loved it. Poor Biggie...had me laughing at his predicament in dealing with Galvo(sp?)

Wasn't as thrilled with Helen's "Hello Beastie" line this time round...not as great an impact.
                        Loved her calling Nikola "Niki"...delivered that one well.
                        Was bummed about the Chalk people and even more bummed to realise it was "squirt" who was responsible.
                        Still love all the names Nikola comes up for Henry...Heinrich being my fave.
                        Henry was a darling heart...loved seeing him & Magnus working together. Loved Magnus' reaction when Henry was grabbed by the entity/thingy/beastie.
                        Loved Nikola saving Henry.
                        A great episode...very entertaining.
                        Last edited by Chelle DB; 05 November 2011, 05:45 AM.
                        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by es! View Post
                          Well, we all seem to agree that Tesla rocks, and B-plots suck. No controversity - nothing to talk about. Doesn't have to mean that the ep was bad
                          True!

But it also felt like the A-plot was a solid (standalone) story that was whole and basically involved Nikola getting himself (well, bystanders more like it) in trouble and Henry&Magnus saving his ass and perhaps having an ally in him now that he has this position. In Monsoon there were far more facets in the A story; Magnus getting her James Bond on, the hostages, new finance guy, bad guys, concept of abnormals discarded by the military, kiss...

The B-story of this ep was rather short and quickly solved, not that I'm complaining (less Will works for me). It also featured "only" Will and Biggie and this new Abnormal Galvo, in Monsoon there were a lot more people involved in the B-story and lots of things happening.

Plus, I felt the switching of plots was much better this time around, more appropriately timed or something.

I have to rewatch the episode as a whole some other time, since I had the ~5 minutes of Burn Notice in between that thoroughly confused me (especially since I didn't recognize it as being a different show and was wondering what the hell was going on and why the style was so completely different from regular Sanctuary ) and later on got to watch those missing minutes again.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I also think that they're using the B stories to slowly set up the finale this year. other agencies setting up abnormal investigation units, abbies fighting amongst themselves, abbies murdering their own, it's all setting up a very rich and complex storyline for the finale I think.

IMHO, they either do it this way or they 'waste' an episode setting things up adn then have all of us complain about how contrived the finale seems.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              I also think that they're using the B stories to slowly set up the finale this year. other agencies setting up abnormal investigation units, abbies fighting amongst themselves, abbies murdering their own, it's all setting up a very rich and complex storyline for the finale I think.

IMHO, they either do it this way or they 'waste' an episode setting things up adn then have all of us complain about how contrived the finale seems.
                              That's a good point. Didn't think of B-stories this way before. I'll try to be more patient with them in future (especially as they did a really good job switching to this one, as somebody pointed out already).

Comment

Tesla is back, finally!! Perhaps it was the 'Director' title, I feel Tesla is less playful this time: more mature and grown-up, learning to BE an executive! LOL!

Originally posted by lastrequest View Post
                                /* Nikola going to save Henry and bring him back (which counts some way towards an apology to Helen I think) - although I did wonder why Tesla used a knife to get Henry out - surely he could have got him out quicker with his claws? *ponders* or perhaps that's just my wishful thinking because I like his claws
                                He wouldn't use his claws because that would broke his nails that he is so proud of!
                                sigpic
                                Sign by me

Comment

Working...
                                X