Next Tuesday (208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kes View Post
    I think she was 1st class. She has the money. I was thinking more like she refused to get on a boat or was helping the 3rd class passengers.
    3rd class passengers were locked up down below... so when they made it to the boatdecks most lifeboats (there were a few left of course, plus the four rafts) were already gone. Cameron's film isn't that far from the truth in that regard. And the lists of survivors pretty much speak for themselves too.

And as I remember correctly, Molly Brown was in a boat that didn't return after the Titanic went under. So, that one had to have been close to the sinking ship, and Helen must have ended in the water somewhere between them rowing away and the ship going under.
    So, if she refused to get into a boat, which is plausible (she wouldn't have been the only one) - then Molly Brown couldn't have saved her.

Maybe there was an abnormal on board...

But in any case - I'd love to hear more about that "adventure".
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

my review (then i'll read everyone's views too)...

i really enjoyed the ep!

i'm sure i'll like it even more when i watch it again. i didn't know what to expect, but nothing disappointed. i don't think i was WOWed by it, but i can't wait to watch it again.

i'd like to know 'how' they got out of that well, though.
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by badwolfSG View Post
        ! But I really liked the fact that they did put in Ashley birthday and how it was affecting Helen.
        b/c i'd remained pretty spoiler free, that was a lovely thing to hear from helen. i'm VERY glad ashley hasn't been wiped out of existence in helen's heart and mind (like i've seen stargate do).
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
          I really enjoyed the argument Will and Helen had throughout the episode, it let Helen show more of her bossy side while letting Will also stand-up for himself. And it also showed that as good of friends as they've become, there are still things they won't confide or tell each other. That came across as very realistic to me.
          yes on all of it.

And it's awesome that Helen was on the Titanic and got pulled out of the water by Molly Brown. Count Olaf and his soccer team made me laugh, as did Helen's lame joke at the end.
          wasn't that cool!? i'd love to see *that* flashback...

and what was the joke again?

(i turned down the bass on my tv last night, but after the ep was over... maybe that'll let me hear their dialog better)
          sally

sigpic

Comment

I think, in the end, only 1-2 boats went back. cameron's movie was fairly accurate in that most boats that had room stayed away so that they wouldn't be swamped...but in water that cold people went hypothermic and died in less than 15 minutes. I know in Deadliest Catch, if you go into the Bering Sea without a survival suit, you have 10 minutes or less,and that's presuming that you don't have a heart attack from the shock of the sudden cold.

the north atlantic, especially with all the ice bergs around, wouldn't have been much warmer, probably 40 degrees at the most, likely less.

A first class female stood a good chance of survival. a first class male, well these were the days when men who got int he boats while there were still women needing space were seen as cowards, unless those men were there to row or lead the boats. John Jacob Aster - richest man in the world at the time - is one notable first class person that went down with the boat.

and yes, second class kinda tagged along, third class - ironically it was all the third class people that really made money for the boat since their 'cost of berth vs what they received' had hte best profit margin and they were what made the lines their money.

the berths that the third/steerage class paid vs the cost of what they got paid for all the luxuries the first class folks got.

If you were in steerage you were danged lucky if you survived.

I have a book written soon after the titanic went down and it has the lists of survivors...and the list is telling. maybe 60% of first class survived (remember the guys sacrificed themselves) while maybe 10% of the steeerage survived.

I want to say that less than half a dozen were pulled from the water and survived, perhaps less. they h ad to be very, very strong to have survived being wet and then spending the night in a boat - with no heat - soaking wet.

i'm sure that helen was first class. and i could see her taking hte voyage, transporting an abnormal, then when the boat hit the berg, she spent her time trying to get too the abby and free it, rather than getting in a boat

remember, it took the boat about 2-2.5 hours to sink, but they denied that it was damaged for at least an hour or so before they started to fill the rafts. that's the biggest tragedy of it all, there were so many ways that so many more could have survived. instead of 700ish surviving and 1500ish dying, the numbers could have been reversed.

it was also one of the worst examples of 'death by class' in history.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I also liked the callback to Pavor Nocturnus with Will's 'Bring on the Hail Mary' and Helen's reaction to that.
              oh yeah! that prob caught helen's breath. creeped me out too.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mack_1 View Post
                Totally I was like she just didn’t say that!!LOLand Will’s face so good. And she definitely has a thing for bald men and agree again John is the better looking and sexy as well you catch my “drift” LOL
                i don't get the 'plenty of fish in the sea' reference. is it from that pirates movie? (i haven't seen it )
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  maybe the lack of 'how will we get out of this' harkens back to Kush. remember in that crash, ash found them and sent help, but that won't happen now so they're on their own.
                  maybe we don't see how they got out, b/c they never 'do'... (the rest of the season is a figment of their imaginations, but we don't find out till the end)
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                    The CGI wasn't good.
                    i thought the sea creatures were the most real looking cgi creatures they've done yet.
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

@ Skydiver

You have good points.

Yup, someone definitely needs to write that. I know of someone who started a fic about Helen on the Titanic. Saw it pop up about two or three weeks ago on one of the LJ comms but it has since disappeared of my radar.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      i don't get the 'plenty of fish in the sea' reference. is it from that pirates movie? (i haven't seen it )
                      No reference, just a bad placed joke with them in the watertank. Probably a reference to Olaf and Sigrid.
                      I was thinking "Oh no, you did not just say that, Helen!" *facepalm*...

oh yeah! that prob caught helen's breath. creeped me out too.
                      See, now I need to watch PN again cause I can't remember that he said that.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I really liked this episode the first viewing, then after the 2nd viewing, I LOVED it.

I know some viewers expected something more, probably because one can't help directly comparing this with Requiem. But personally, I loved that it wasn't. Requiem was way intense and season 2 has already been very intense. Once I realized that this ep was different in tone and texture, I relaxed and totally loved it. I didn't want a desperate Helen, an insane Helen or intensely driven Helen. (At least not in every episode.)

What was so charming about this episode was that we got as relaxed a Helen as we've seen her. Crashing your helicopter in the middle of nowhere, trapped in a tank with a grouchy antagonistic Will, a pissed off giant squid and vicious scorpian and we get our even keeled, measure Magnus back. Not to mention oodles of entertaining exposition. I didn't even know thats what I wanted until I saw it. (mostly the second time round) That's bloody brilliant Kindler. Thanks Mate!

I've always thought that Helen might have come to America via the Titanic, possibly to get away from Druitt. I'm glad they gave us a little snipet of that past. Hopefully this is just a teaser to a full blown flashback onboard the Titanic with all the costume glory and all that.

We see that Magnus continues with the self-imposed isolation that Watson pointed out. Probaly insisted on Henry and Bigfoot being away, especially Bigfoot as they would be most apt to fuss or 'coddle' her and make her teeth itch. Can't have that now, can we. She's still unable to reach out and open up which I find suits her character and made the confession at the end all the more poignant. Helen mournful look when she tells Will that there was more important things going on than accepting Olaf's romantic gettaway.

Olaf confirms, at least for me, that Magnus is drawn to men of power and sees beyond the looks. (though I'm with Will on this one) Helen seems to like hanging out with people of intelligence or power. I can't wait to see the women she hung out with in the future, other then Emelia Earhart, coz its in the title credits.

Ever since 'Warriors' with that delightful opening scene in th bedouin tent, I've wondered just how much wealth and possessions Magnus has accumulated. I'm totally not surprised that she had several helicopters as well as that submarine. Vaction homes all over the place most likely. Now I'm just waiting to see her pilot that Tiger Moth she learned to fly from Emelia Earhart.

I loved how Ashley is the reason for 'Next Tuesday'. I hope the writers continue to remember in nearly every episode. I can't help but gain some satisfaction that in doing so, its like sticking it to the network.

Although there's more, but I've gone on long enough, the single MOST important thing I've learned this episode is that Amanda Tapping must have been a water baby.

Comment

Hee, that was a great reference.

I also liked the callback to Pavor Nocturnus with Will's 'Bring on the Hail Mary' and Helen's reaction to that.
                          Nice, I'd forgotten about Pavor Nocturnus and wondered why she reacted that way.

Comment

'Hello beastie' was the Pirates reference. 'Plenty of fish in the sea' was just a silly joke you wouldn't really expect someone as sophisticated as Helen to say, which made it all the more funny to me.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            See, now I need to watch PN again cause I can't remember that he said that.
                            It was about 3/4s of the way through the ep, I think where Helen suggested trying anti-coagulants on the girl and Will says that line. In the commentary of that ep, they mentioned that the line was reused in a later ep, which ended up being this one.

Originally posted by Carterfan View Post
                            We see that Magnus continues with the self-imposed isolation that Watson pointed out. Probaly insisted on Henry and Bigfoot being away, especially Bigfoot as they would be most apt to fuss or 'coddle' her and make her teeth itch. Can't have that now, can we. She's still unable to reach out and open up which I find suits her character and made the confession at the end all the more poignant. Helen mournful look when she tells Will that there was more important things going on than accepting Olaf's romantic gettaway.
                            That's an interesting thought. I did think it odd that Helen wanted to keep Will around but let Henry and Bigfoot, two people she's probably closer to than Will, go off surfing. But I can see her not wanting someone to coddle her, just someone to be there to distract her enough to get through the day.

I loved how Ashley is the reason for 'Next Tuesday'. I hope the writers continue to remember in nearly every episode. I can't help but gain some satisfaction that in doing so, its like sticking it to the network.
                            I also like how they've kept Ashley alive in spirit in the show. While I do wish they'd been able to keep her on the show, I don't think you can say they've forgotten about the character or what she meant to Helen and the others.

Although there's more, but I've gone on long enough, the single MOST important thing I've learned this episode is that Amanda Tapping must have been a water baby.
                            Heh, she does seem to draw these kinds of episodes, Descent, Grace Under Pressure, Requiem, and now this one.

sigpic

Comment

i keep thinking about the ep. i can't wait to watch it again.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Heh, she does seem to draw these kinds of episodes, Descent, Grace Under Pressure, Requiem, and now this one.
                                Although she did keep almost drowning herself in Descent. Her timing was off.
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X