Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Agreed. I'm not sure exactly what it was that changed, but I think you might be on to something with the 'clingy' observation. She also seems to have gotten a lot more....I don't know, shrieky, somehow.
    I think that about sums it up... for me it was when she decided she was in love with The Doctor...

What's the setting of the UNIT series? I gather it's Doctor-lite/less and Earthbound, but does it specify a time period or is it typically 'UNIT vague'? Does it tie into any other story arcs?
    Basically, it's very X-Files-ish. You have two lead characters, one male one female, responsible for investigating mysteries. Every now and then you get more in the way of UNIT grunts show up. It's bookended by guest star appearances from the Brigadier. It was always meant to be 'not too distant future', much like usual UNIT. However, with the canonical passing of the Brig and the rejuvination of UNIT in the new series under Kate Stewart, I'd suggest it's set somewhere during the early days of RTD's era, or maybe a little before. Though there are a couple of issues with a certain species that throw a few questions in the air given recent episodes (you'll see!).

It's not perfect, but it was my first introduction to Big Finish, and I love them. There's also a UNIT boxset with McCoy, which I've not had the pleasure of yet, but it's reportedly focused on a different UNIT bunch. I look forward to that one!

Aha, great to hear! I'm working my way through the Eighth Doctor range, but I've also been slowly doing a rewatch of episodes from the timeline perspective of the Daleks (as best I can reason it). I think I may incorporate Dalek Empire into that...I guess probably fairly close to the end of the classic era/pre-Time War Daleks.
    Definitely a good idea, though the key want to listen to before starting The Dalek Empire is 'The Apocalypse Element' with the 6th Doctor. It's essential for backstory for the Dalek Empire, and the spin off 'Gallifrey'.

Side note - the Sarah Jane Smith dramas are also epic if you want to fill in the gaps between The Five Doctors and The Sarah Jane Adventures!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      Basically, it's very X-Files-ish. You have two lead characters, one male one female, responsible for investigating mysteries. Every now and then you get more in the way of UNIT grunts show up. It's bookended by guest star appearances from the Brigadier. It was always meant to be 'not too distant future', much like usual UNIT. However, with the canonical passing of the Brig and the rejuvination of UNIT in the new series under Kate Stewart, I'd suggest it's set somewhere during the early days of RTD's era, or maybe a little before. Though there are a couple of issues with a certain species that throw a few questions in the air given recent episodes (you'll see!).
      Cool, sounds like fun! Seems like something I'll want to tackle independently of other stuff, but it does strike me as interesting. X-Files-ish and UNIT sounds like Torchwood but more Doctor Who-ish.

It's not perfect, but it was my first introduction to Big Finish, and I love them.
      Why does it not surprise me that you dig UNIT

Definitely a good idea, though the key want to listen to before starting The Dalek Empire is 'The Apocalypse Element' with the 6th Doctor. It's essential for backstory for the Dalek Empire, and the spin off 'Gallifrey'.
      Yeah I gather that there's a couple of stories that make up a Dalek Empire story arc prior to the first series that's actually labelled as Dalek Empire; Genocide Machine, Apocalypse Element, Mutant Phase, and Time of the Daleks. I've actually already heard Time of the Daleks in my Eight listening, but that's okay.

Gallifrey is on my 'maybe' list... I like Romana (though I prefer Lalla Ward to Mary Tamm), but I always found Leela a little bit crass/rough around the edges for my liking.

Side note - the Sarah Jane Smith dramas are also epic if you want to fill in the gaps between The Five Doctors and The Sarah Jane Adventures!
      Ohhh how I miss Lis Sladen
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Cool, sounds like fun! Seems like something I'll want to tackle independently of other stuff, but it does strike me as interesting. X-Files-ish and UNIT sounds like Torchwood but more Doctor Who-ish.
        Certainly not Torchwoody at all. Far less sex!

Why does it not surprise me that you dig UNIT
        I don't know what you could POSSIBLY be referring to

Yeah I gather that there's a couple of stories that make up a Dalek Empire story arc prior to the first series that's actually labelled as Dalek Empire; Genocide Machine, Apocalypse Element, Mutant Phase, and Time of the Daleks. I've actually already heard Time of the Daleks in my Eight listening, but that's okay.
        I must admit, I wasn't convinced by the supposed 'Dalek Empire' arc prior to the Dalek Empire series... they didn't seem at all connected at all, and only one of them (apocalypse element) has any real connection to the Dalek Empire series... as for Time of the Daleks, I find it hard to perceive HOW that fits in with the series...

Gallifrey is on my 'maybe' list... I like Romana (though I prefer Lalla Ward to Mary Tamm), but I always found Leela a little bit crass/rough around the edges for my liking.
        Gallifrey is on my undecided list at the moment... I was very much looking forward to it, mostly because the new series of Who has made me fall in love with Gallifrey, what with it's beautiful orange skies and awe inspiring citadels... but I've found many of the plots a little too complicated for audio drama. Either you need the visual frame of reference that a tv show provides, or the slow and indepth coverage of a novel... I also find the score to be a little out of keeping with what I expect of Gallifrey... far too Spooks and not Murray Gold enough...

Ohhh how I miss Lis Sladen
        Me too

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Interesting article about Big Finish Eighth Doctor Adventures

Getting into the 8th Doctor Audio Adventures

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/getting...ures-57959.htm

Guest contributor Nick Ferrazza provides a guide to Big Finish’s 8th Doctor range.

Last November, Doctor Who fans were treated to a little surprise. Along with the other festivities of the program’s 50th anniversary, we were treated to a spectacular minisode featuring the surprise return of Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor. Since then the internet has exploded with petitions and articles explaining why the 8th Doctor should get more minisodes, or maybe even his own spin-off. What many fans fail to realise however is that the 8th Doctor already received his own spin-off, not on television, but on radio. Between 2007 and 2011, BBC7 broadcast a series of full-cast audio dramas by Big Finish starring Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith. In this article, I plan give a brief overview of the series to fans who have not experienced it in the hope that this may inspire them to do so. Before I begin however, I should point out that, while I have done my best to avoid spoilers, some smaller plot elements will be discussed.

Spoilered for length

Spoiler:

The Story

The story begins with the 8th Doctor doing what he does best, travelling through time and space in his old type 40 TARDIS, when all of a sudden Lucie Miller (Sheridan Smith), a seemingly typical Blackpool girl appears in a very Donna Noble style on board his TARDIS. While trying to work out exactly how she got there, the Doctor quickly warms to her and the two go off on a series of adventures together, battling monsters, solving mysteries and running down a whole lot of corridors. Along the way the meet new friends like Tamsin and Alex, old friends like Susan, and a whole heap of enemies. That’s about all I can say without giving too much away.

The Format

The format for the first two seasons is fairly consistent, with eight 50-minute episodes each, some acting as single stories while others make up two part adventures. Season 3 sees a notable change in the format, with the eight 50-minute episode format being swapped for one of sixteen 25-minute episodes. This still means the same number of stories, only that single part stories are now made up of two episodes and 2-part stories are now made up of four episodes instead. The length of each story remains the same, with the only real difference being the inclusion of an extra cliff-hanger in the middle of each story. These first three seasons all keep the same cast of Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith.

It’s during series fourth and final season that things are really shaken up. This season is given an extra 4-part episode, taking the total up to twenty 25 minute episodes. It’s also during this season that we see the biggest change in cast, with the inclusion of several new regulars, namely Niky Wardely as new companion Tamsin Drew, Jake McGann (son of Paul McGann) as the Doctor’s great-grandson Alex, Graeme Garden as a new incarnation of the Meddling Monk, as well as Carol Ann Ford returning as the Doctor’s grand-daughter and very first companion Susan. It’s also worth noting that between the first and second stories of this season, the Big Finish bonus release ‘An Earthly Child’ occurs. This story is technically not an Eighth Doctor Adventure and was not broadcast on BBC7, however, it does introduce Alex and reintroduce Susan who become important characters later in the story and I would highly recommend listening to it as well if you have the chance.

Is it Any Good?

The fact that I’m even bothering to write this article pretty much answers that question, but I think a more in depth analysis is needed. Season 1, I’m sorry to say, is not the best the series has to offer. Listening to them, I get the feeling that the Big Finish writers, who are used to writing much longer stories, haven’t quite gotten used to the shorter 50 minute time yet. Both two part stories are brilliant, but most of the single part stories feel a bit squeezed for time. It seems like just as a story is beginning to get off the ground, it’s suddenly over, which is a shame because season 1 has some of the most original story ideas and it would have been great to see them get a lot more fleshed out. The only exception to this is Phobos, an absolutely brilliant story written by Eddie Robson, who also writes that season’s finale story, the 2-parter Human Resources, which is in my opinion the highlight of the season. Despite any problems story wise however, all of the actors are on top form, with Paul McGann really expanding on his Doctor and Sheridan Smith instantly becoming a fan favourite companion.

It’s during season 2 that the series really finds its footing. The writers finally seem to have wrapped their heads around the 50 minute timeslot with the stories being consistently brilliant. Of particular interest is the second story ‘Max Warp’. The basic premise of the story is Top Gear with spaceships, and a good old murder mystery thrown in for good measure. It’s also during this season that we enjoy the long awaited return of Morbius in the season finale. Without giving too much away, it’s definitely one of the series best stories.

By season 3, the format of the Doctor and Lucie running about and having adventures is getting a little old, so the writers find a new way to keep it fresh. I can’t really go into too much depth on this matter, but in the first episode we encounter a very different 8th Doctor to the one that had been present in the previous seasons, and it’s very interesting seeing how this affects his relationship with Lucie. My highlight of this season would have to be ‘The Cannibalists’, an interesting tale set on a robot inhabited space station. Of particular note is Phil Davis’ (Fires of Pompeii) portrayal of the evil Titus.

Season 4 is perhaps the series’ most interesting. For the first time, the series gets not one, but two Christmas specials. Both of these are brilliantly written and both very different. The first, ‘Death in Blackpool’, is a very emotional story that deals with several plot elements that have been in play since nearly the beginning of the series. Once again, it’s hard to really dig into without giving too much away, but the ending is brilliant with both Paul and Sheridan giving their best performances to date. The second Christmas special is a far more light-hearted story, but still manages to deliver on the emotional side when necessary. This story alongside the earlier mentioned ‘An Earthly Child’ deal with Alex’s new found knowledge that his mother Susan is from another planet, as well as the Doctor and Susan’s long awaited reunion. Both are brilliantly executed by both the writers and actors.

Also introduced in this season is a new companion Tamsin Drew, played by Niky Wardley. She may be a little annoying and will never be as great as Lucie, but she’s definitely still a great character with a great story filled with unforeseeable twists and turns.

This season, and indeed the entire range, are brought to a crashing end in the finale story ‘Lucie Miller/To the Death’. This story sees the return of the Daleks, who last appeared in season 1’s opening 2-parter. If ever there was a story to remind you exactly why the Dalek’s are the Doctor’s arch-enemies, this is it. The first part of the story ‘Lucie Miller’ is particularly interesting in that it introduces the Doctor fairly late into the story. Up until then we see the story through the eyes of his companions, and how they, as human beings, deal with the Dalek’s latest threat against humanity. The second part ‘To the Death’ is perhaps one of the most brilliant pieces of fiction even released within the franchise. I can almost guarantee you’ll cry in it. Why you ask? Well I’m hardly going to tell you, but the title is ‘To the Death’, so that might give you a clue. The final scene is one of the franchises most brilliant. Paul McGann delivers some of his best acting to date, guaranteed to send a shiver down your spine.

Dark Eyes and Into the Future…

With ‘To the Death’ the Eighth Doctor Adventures may have come to an end, but that doesn’t mean time’s up for the 8th Doctor. Following on from the series thrilling conclusion, Big Finish delivers us a brand new adventure in the form of ‘Dark Eyes’. This story was not broadcast on radio and is available exclusively from Big Finish’s website. It sees the 8th Doctor with a new look and a new companion, battling it out once again with the forces of the Daleks, as well as the mysterious X. This story is much darker that the previous one’s but just as brilliant. The story of the 8th Doctor is still going though, with the announcement of Dark Eyes 2, 3 and 4. While little is known about these releases at this stage, of particular interest is the return of Alex McQueen’s ‘Other Doctor’ from ‘UNIT: Dominion’, another story I must highly recommend.

Final Thoughts

I would highly recommend the Eighth Doctor Adventures to any Doctor Who fan. With no baggage from previous Big Finish releases, it’s a brilliant starting point for anyone wanting to get into the audios. Hopefully this article has convinced you to give to range a look, whether it’s something you’ve been meaning to get into for a while or something you’ve never even glanced at. Either way I can guarantee you won’t regret hopping on-board the TARDIS with the 8th Doctor and Lucie Bleedin’ Miller.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
            Interesting article about Big Finish Eighth Doctor Adventures

Getting into the 8th Doctor Audio Adventures

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/getting...ures-57959.htm

Guest contributor Nick Ferrazza provides a guide to Big Finish’s 8th Doctor range.

Last November, Doctor Who fans were treated to a little surprise. Along with the other festivities of the program’s 50th anniversary, we were treated to a spectacular minisode featuring the surprise return of Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor. Since then the internet has exploded with petitions and articles explaining why the 8th Doctor should get more minisodes, or maybe even his own spin-off. What many fans fail to realise however is that the 8th Doctor already received his own spin-off, not on television, but on radio. Between 2007 and 2011, BBC7 broadcast a series of full-cast audio dramas by Big Finish starring Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith. In this article, I plan give a brief overview of the series to fans who have not experienced it in the hope that this may inspire them to do so. Before I begin however, I should point out that, while I have done my best to avoid spoilers, some smaller plot elements will be discussed.

Spoilered for length

Spoiler:

The Story

The story begins with the 8th Doctor doing what he does best, travelling through time and space in his old type 40 TARDIS, when all of a sudden Lucie Miller (Sheridan Smith), a seemingly typical Blackpool girl appears in a very Donna Noble style on board his TARDIS. While trying to work out exactly how she got there, the Doctor quickly warms to her and the two go off on a series of adventures together, battling monsters, solving mysteries and running down a whole lot of corridors. Along the way the meet new friends like Tamsin and Alex, old friends like Susan, and a whole heap of enemies. That’s about all I can say without giving too much away.

The Format

The format for the first two seasons is fairly consistent, with eight 50-minute episodes each, some acting as single stories while others make up two part adventures. Season 3 sees a notable change in the format, with the eight 50-minute episode format being swapped for one of sixteen 25-minute episodes. This still means the same number of stories, only that single part stories are now made up of two episodes and 2-part stories are now made up of four episodes instead. The length of each story remains the same, with the only real difference being the inclusion of an extra cliff-hanger in the middle of each story. These first three seasons all keep the same cast of Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith.

It’s during series fourth and final season that things are really shaken up. This season is given an extra 4-part episode, taking the total up to twenty 25 minute episodes. It’s also during this season that we see the biggest change in cast, with the inclusion of several new regulars, namely Niky Wardely as new companion Tamsin Drew, Jake McGann (son of Paul McGann) as the Doctor’s great-grandson Alex, Graeme Garden as a new incarnation of the Meddling Monk, as well as Carol Ann Ford returning as the Doctor’s grand-daughter and very first companion Susan. It’s also worth noting that between the first and second stories of this season, the Big Finish bonus release ‘An Earthly Child’ occurs. This story is technically not an Eighth Doctor Adventure and was not broadcast on BBC7, however, it does introduce Alex and reintroduce Susan who become important characters later in the story and I would highly recommend listening to it as well if you have the chance.

Is it Any Good?

The fact that I’m even bothering to write this article pretty much answers that question, but I think a more in depth analysis is needed. Season 1, I’m sorry to say, is not the best the series has to offer. Listening to them, I get the feeling that the Big Finish writers, who are used to writing much longer stories, haven’t quite gotten used to the shorter 50 minute time yet. Both two part stories are brilliant, but most of the single part stories feel a bit squeezed for time. It seems like just as a story is beginning to get off the ground, it’s suddenly over, which is a shame because season 1 has some of the most original story ideas and it would have been great to see them get a lot more fleshed out. The only exception to this is Phobos, an absolutely brilliant story written by Eddie Robson, who also writes that season’s finale story, the 2-parter Human Resources, which is in my opinion the highlight of the season. Despite any problems story wise however, all of the actors are on top form, with Paul McGann really expanding on his Doctor and Sheridan Smith instantly becoming a fan favourite companion.

It’s during season 2 that the series really finds its footing. The writers finally seem to have wrapped their heads around the 50 minute timeslot with the stories being consistently brilliant. Of particular interest is the second story ‘Max Warp’. The basic premise of the story is Top Gear with spaceships, and a good old murder mystery thrown in for good measure. It’s also during this season that we enjoy the long awaited return of Morbius in the season finale. Without giving too much away, it’s definitely one of the series best stories.

By season 3, the format of the Doctor and Lucie running about and having adventures is getting a little old, so the writers find a new way to keep it fresh. I can’t really go into too much depth on this matter, but in the first episode we encounter a very different 8th Doctor to the one that had been present in the previous seasons, and it’s very interesting seeing how this affects his relationship with Lucie. My highlight of this season would have to be ‘The Cannibalists’, an interesting tale set on a robot inhabited space station. Of particular note is Phil Davis’ (Fires of Pompeii) portrayal of the evil Titus.

Season 4 is perhaps the series’ most interesting. For the first time, the series gets not one, but two Christmas specials. Both of these are brilliantly written and both very different. The first, ‘Death in Blackpool’, is a very emotional story that deals with several plot elements that have been in play since nearly the beginning of the series. Once again, it’s hard to really dig into without giving too much away, but the ending is brilliant with both Paul and Sheridan giving their best performances to date. The second Christmas special is a far more light-hearted story, but still manages to deliver on the emotional side when necessary. This story alongside the earlier mentioned ‘An Earthly Child’ deal with Alex’s new found knowledge that his mother Susan is from another planet, as well as the Doctor and Susan’s long awaited reunion. Both are brilliantly executed by both the writers and actors.

Also introduced in this season is a new companion Tamsin Drew, played by Niky Wardley. She may be a little annoying and will never be as great as Lucie, but she’s definitely still a great character with a great story filled with unforeseeable twists and turns.

This season, and indeed the entire range, are brought to a crashing end in the finale story ‘Lucie Miller/To the Death’. This story sees the return of the Daleks, who last appeared in season 1’s opening 2-parter. If ever there was a story to remind you exactly why the Dalek’s are the Doctor’s arch-enemies, this is it. The first part of the story ‘Lucie Miller’ is particularly interesting in that it introduces the Doctor fairly late into the story. Up until then we see the story through the eyes of his companions, and how they, as human beings, deal with the Dalek’s latest threat against humanity. The second part ‘To the Death’ is perhaps one of the most brilliant pieces of fiction even released within the franchise. I can almost guarantee you’ll cry in it. Why you ask? Well I’m hardly going to tell you, but the title is ‘To the Death’, so that might give you a clue. The final scene is one of the franchises most brilliant. Paul McGann delivers some of his best acting to date, guaranteed to send a shiver down your spine.

Dark Eyes and Into the Future…

With ‘To the Death’ the Eighth Doctor Adventures may have come to an end, but that doesn’t mean time’s up for the 8th Doctor. Following on from the series thrilling conclusion, Big Finish delivers us a brand new adventure in the form of ‘Dark Eyes’. This story was not broadcast on radio and is available exclusively from Big Finish’s website. It sees the 8th Doctor with a new look and a new companion, battling it out once again with the forces of the Daleks, as well as the mysterious X. This story is much darker that the previous one’s but just as brilliant. The story of the 8th Doctor is still going though, with the announcement of Dark Eyes 2, 3 and 4. While little is known about these releases at this stage, of particular interest is the return of Alex McQueen’s ‘Other Doctor’ from ‘UNIT: Dominion’, another story I must highly recommend.

Final Thoughts

I would highly recommend the Eighth Doctor Adventures to any Doctor Who fan. With no baggage from previous Big Finish releases, it’s a brilliant starting point for anyone wanting to get into the audios. Hopefully this article has convinced you to give to range a look, whether it’s something you’ve been meaning to get into for a while or something you’ve never even glanced at. Either way I can guarantee you won’t regret hopping on-board the TARDIS with the 8th Doctor and Lucie Bleedin’ Miller.

Good article, it's a shame they didn't talk about the Main Range 8th Doctor adventures, but I can understand why... the spin off range is far more accessible to new listeners.... not only due to format but also due to the fact that it's a clearly defined set...

I'm going to throw it out there... Dark Eyes didn't wow me... it wasn't BAD, but it just could have been much better... as good as the 8th Doctor Adventures, for example... I hope the next lot improve upon it.

So far I think I've most enjoyed the 8th Doctor spin off range and the 7th Doctor main range offerings... (the ones with Ace, not Melanie...)

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

What I've done in approaching them is to try to approach it like thematic seasons. I find it works well both because that's the format I'm used to with the TV series and because that's how the 'main ranges' later on go.

My approach:
              Spoiler:
              Specials
              The movie
              Shada

Mary
              Mary's Story
              The Silver Turk
              The Witch from the Well
              Army of Death

Charley
              Storm Warning
              Sword of Orion
              The Stones of Venice
              Minuet in Hell
              Invaders from Mars
              The Chimes of Midnight
              Living Legend
              Seasons of Fear
              Embrace the Darkness
              The Time of the Daleks
              Solitaire
              Neverland
              Zagreus

Divergent Universe
              Scherzo
              The Creed of the Kromon
              The Natural History of Fear
              The Twilight Kingdom
              Faith Stealer
              The Last
              Caerdroida
              The Next Life

Moving On
              Terror Firma
              Scaredy Cat
              Other Lives
              Time Works
              Something Inside
              Memory Lane
              Absolution
              The Girl Who Never Was

NEDA Year 1
              Blood of the Daleks, Part 1
              Blood of the Daleks, Part 2
              Horror of Glam Rock
              Immortal Beloved
              Phobos
              No More Lies
              Human Resources, Part 1
              Human Resources, Part 2

NEDA Year 2
              Dead London
              Max Warp
              Brave New Town
              The Skull of Sobek
              Grand Theft Cosmos
              The Zygon Who Fell to Earth
              Sisters of the Flame
              The Vengeance of Morbius

NEDA Year 3
              Orbis
              Hothouse
              The Beast of Orlok
              Wirrn Dawn
              The Scapegoat
              The Cannibalists
              The Eight Truths
              Worldwide Web

NEDA Year 4
              Death in Blackpool
              An Earthly Child
              Situation Vacant
              Nevermore
              The Book of Kells
              Deimos
              The Resurrection of Mars
              Relative Dimensions
              The Four Doctors
              Prisoner of the Sun
              Lucie Miller
              To the Death

Special - Mary's Story (from the other Doctor's POV)

Dark Eyes
              The Great War
              Fugitives
              Tangled Web
              X and the Daleks

Dark Eyes II

Dark Eyes III

Dark Eyes IV

Special - The Night of the Doctor

I know that there's a lot of prose and comics that I'm skipping, but there's something nicely 'authentic' about being able to hear Paul McGann speaking in the role.

I think I've got my chronology nailed down right--I've tried to do a lot of sorting based on Tardis Wikia articles, sticking one-off stories in their appropriate spots relative to the regular 'seasons.' And obviously there's plenty of story to tell between the upcoming Dark Eyes stories and the 50th minisode. But hey, it works for now
              Last edited by DigiFluid; 17 January 2014, 04:11 PM.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Oh, and a question!

The New Eighth Doctor Adventures line (the Lucie stories), I've noticed that they changed the intro so that some knob is reading the title/actors/etc and speaking over the DW theme song. Considering ALL of that information is right there on the cover art and how much I love the theme song, I find this incredibly annoying. Do they stop doing this at some point?

Comment

Oh, and a question!

The New Eighth Doctor Adventures line (the Lucie stories), I've noticed that they changed the intro so that some knob is reading the title/actors/etc and speaking over the DW theme song. Considering ALL of that information is right there on the cover art and how much I love the theme song, I find this incredibly annoying. Do they stop doing this at some point?
                  They do - what you have to remember is that the 8th Doctor Adventures range was pretty much designed FOR BBC Radio 4, where as most other ranges were designed to be purchased. Consequently, they needed to present the cast information and title somehow...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I've just finished the 'Cyberman' spin off series 1.

It is amazing. Every bit as good as The Dalek Empire saga, and in some ways better. I would highly recommend series 1 to anyone - and it's quite cheap at the moment. It's so wonderful executed by all those involved that it really draws you into the story. I'm beginning to think that (bar the 8th Doctor offerings) Big Finish's best work is in fact their spin off material....

EDIT:

If anyone wants to get into these, listen to the 8th Doctor Audio "Sword of Orion" first, before starting with the Cyberman series.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/sword-of-orion-642

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released/cyberman
                    Last edited by Flyboy; 24 January 2014, 07:51 PM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'll put it on the 'eventually' list...

Damn you FOB

Comment

I'll put it on the 'eventually' list...

Damn you FOB

good man!

And yay for the name 'FOB'! That takes me back!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking of getting my wages sent directly to Big Finish. It's probably easier that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                            I'm thinking of getting my wages sent directly to Big Finish. It's probably easier that way.
                            You and me both...

I started properly collecting them when I was in Afghanistan last, they were easy to download via the MOD provided internet and served me nicely after I'd run out of ripped Doctor Who eps on my hard drive. I've spent far too much of my Ops Bonus on the damn things, but they're SO addictive! I love them! (on a side note, just for something a bit different - I downloaded Big Finish's 'Beyond the Grave', a non-DW 'Ghostwatch' style 'live' episode, which was great, and also their first full cast SG1 audio drama, also great! Has Cliff Simon and everything!).

I'm loving the experimental ones... 'Live 34' is a great and innovative offering!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

So at some point I intend to go through the Seventh Doctor series of audios.... I've gone through his article on the Tardis Wikia and come up with (what appears to be) a reasonable chronology of episodes, but I'm a bit stuck because there are a number of stories which are not referenced in his article and I'm not sure where to place them beyond 'well let's try here and see how that goes.'

Since you, FOB (you'll always be FOB to me ), Alan, and possibly Blen are the ones likely to be most familiar with the Big Finish material I thought I'd ask for a little input. If you have any, of course, no obligation obviously

What I've come up with so far:
                              Spoiler:
                              Time and the Rani
                              Unregenerate! (BF 70)
                              Paradise Towers
                              Delta and the Bannermen
                              Dragonfire

Remembrance of the Daleks
                              The Happiness Patrol
                              Silver Nemesis
                              The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Battlefield
                              Ghost Light
                              The Curse of Fenric
                              The Light at the End (BF Special)
                              Survival

The Fearmonger (BF5)
                              Thin Ice (Lost Stories)
                              Crime of the Century (Lost Stories)
                              Animal (Lost Stories)
                              Earth Aid (Lost Stories)
                              The Genocide Machine (BF 7)
                              Dust Breeding (BF 21)
                              Colditz (BF 25)

The Rapture (BF 36)
                              The Harvest (BF 58)
                              Dreamtime (BF 67)
                              LIVE 34 (BF 74)
                              Night Thoughts (BF 79)
                              The Veiled Leopard (BF)
                              Thicker Than Water (BF 73)
                              The Settling (BF 82)
                              No Man's Land (BF 89)
                              Nocturne (BF 92)

The Dark Husband (BF 106)
                              False Gods (BF 115a)
                              Order of Simplicity (BF 115b)
                              Casualties of War (BF 115c)
                              The Word Lord (BF 115d)
                              The Magic Mousetrap (BF 120)
                              Enemy of the Daleks (BF 121)
                              The Angel of Scutari (BF 122)

Project Destiny (BF 139)
                              A Death in the Family (BF 140)
                              Lurkers at Sunlight's Edge (BF 141)
                              Robophobia (BF 149)
                              The Doomsday Quatrain (BF 151)
                              House of Blue Fire (BF 152)
                              Project: Nirvana (CC 7.3)
                              Protect and Survive (BF 162)
                              Black and White (BF 163)
                              Gods and Monsters (BF 164)
                              Afterlife (BF 181)

1963: The Assassination Games (BF 180)
                              Love and War (BF Special)
                              The Shadow of the Scourge (BF 13)
                              Bang-Bang-A-Boom! (BF 39)
                              The Dark Flame (BF 42)
                              Berenice Summerfield and the Criminal's Code (CC 4.6)
                              The Final Amendment (BF Benny 39)
                              Many Happy Returns (BF Benny Special)

Excelis Decays (Excelis 3)
                              Last of the Titans (BF Special)
                              A Thousand Tiny Wings (BF 130)
                              Klein's Story (BF 131a)
                              Survival of the Fittest (BF 131b)
                              The Architects of History (BF 132)
                              The Four Doctors (BF Special)
                              The Shadow Heart (BF 167)
                              Project: Lazarus (BF 45)
                              Master (BF 49)

Return of the Daleks (BF Special)
                              Valhalla (BF 96)
                              Frozen Time (BF 98)
                              The Death Collectors (BF 109)
                              Kingdom of Silver (BF 112a)
                              Keepsake (BF 112b)
                              UNIT: Dominion
                              Persuasion (BF 175)
                              Starlight Robbery (BF 176)
                              Daleks Among Us (BF 177)
                              Doctor Who

What I haven't been able to nail down:
                              Spoiler:
                              The Sirens of Time (BF 1)
                              The Fires of Vulcan (BF 12)
                              Flip-Flop (BF 46)
                              Red (BF 85)
                              Shockwave (BF Destiny #7)
                              Police and Shreeves (ST Vol 1)
                              Critical Mass (ST Vol 2)
                              Seven to One (ST Vol 3)
                              The Riparian Ripper (ST Vol 3)
                              The Shadow Trader (ST Vol 4)
                              The Prisoner's Dilemma (CC 3.8, sometime post-Benny)

Now obviously I doubt I'll get to all of these, but it's nice to be prepared!

Comment

So at some point I intend to go through the Seventh Doctor series of audios.... I've gone through his article on the Tardis Wikia and come up with (what appears to be) a reasonable chronology of episodes, but I'm a bit stuck because there are a number of stories which are not referenced in his article and I'm not sure where to place them beyond 'well let's try here and see how that goes.'

Since you, FOB (you'll always be FOB to me ), Alan, and possibly Blen are the ones likely to be most familiar with the Big Finish material I thought I'd ask for a little input. If you have any, of course, no obligation obviously

What I've come up with so far:
                                Spoiler:
                                Time and the Rani
                                Unregenerate! (BF 70)
                                Paradise Towers
                                Delta and the Bannermen
                                Dragonfire

Remembrance of the Daleks
                                The Happiness Patrol
                                Silver Nemesis
                                The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Battlefield
                                Ghost Light
                                The Curse of Fenric
                                The Light at the End (BF Special)
                                Survival

The Fearmonger (BF5)
                                Thin Ice (Lost Stories)
                                Crime of the Century (Lost Stories)
                                Animal (Lost Stories)
                                Earth Aid (Lost Stories)
                                The Genocide Machine (BF 7)
                                Dust Breeding (BF 21)
                                Colditz (BF 25)

The Rapture (BF 36)
                                The Harvest (BF 58)
                                Dreamtime (BF 67)
                                LIVE 34 (BF 74)
                                Night Thoughts (BF 79)
                                The Veiled Leopard (BF)
                                Thicker Than Water (BF 73)
                                The Settling (BF 82)
                                No Man's Land (BF 89)
                                Nocturne (BF 92)

The Dark Husband (BF 106)
                                False Gods (BF 115a)
                                Order of Simplicity (BF 115b)
                                Casualties of War (BF 115c)
                                The Word Lord (BF 115d)
                                The Magic Mousetrap (BF 120)
                                Enemy of the Daleks (BF 121)
                                The Angel of Scutari (BF 122)

Project Destiny (BF 139)
                                A Death in the Family (BF 140)
                                Lurkers at Sunlight's Edge (BF 141)
                                Robophobia (BF 149)
                                The Doomsday Quatrain (BF 151)
                                House of Blue Fire (BF 152)
                                Project: Nirvana (CC 7.3)
                                Protect and Survive (BF 162)
                                Black and White (BF 163)
                                Gods and Monsters (BF 164)
                                Afterlife (BF 181)

1963: The Assassination Games (BF 180)
                                Love and War (BF Special)
                                The Shadow of the Scourge (BF 13)
                                Bang-Bang-A-Boom! (BF 39)
                                The Dark Flame (BF 42)
                                Berenice Summerfield and the Criminal's Code (CC 4.6)
                                The Final Amendment (BF Benny 39)
                                Many Happy Returns (BF Benny Special)

Excelis Decays (Excelis 3)
                                Last of the Titans (BF Special)
                                A Thousand Tiny Wings (BF 130)
                                Klein's Story (BF 131a)
                                Survival of the Fittest (BF 131b)
                                The Architects of History (BF 132)
                                The Four Doctors (BF Special)
                                The Shadow Heart (BF 167)
                                Project: Lazarus (BF 45)
                                Master (BF 49)

Return of the Daleks (BF Special)
                                Valhalla (BF 96)
                                Frozen Time (BF 98)
                                The Death Collectors (BF 109)
                                Kingdom of Silver (BF 112a)
                                Keepsake (BF 112b)
                                UNIT: Dominion
                                Persuasion (BF 175)
                                Starlight Robbery (BF 176)
                                Daleks Among Us (BF 177)
                                Doctor Who

What I haven't been able to nail down:
                                Spoiler:
                                The Sirens of Time (BF 1)
                                The Fires of Vulcan (BF 12)
                                Flip-Flop (BF 46)
                                Red (BF 85)
                                Shockwave (BF Destiny #7)
                                Police and Shreeves (ST Vol 1)
                                Critical Mass (ST Vol 2)
                                Seven to One (ST Vol 3)
                                The Riparian Ripper (ST Vol 3)
                                The Shadow Trader (ST Vol 4)
                                The Prisoner's Dilemma (CC 3.8, sometime post-Benny)

Now obviously I doubt I'll get to all of these, but it's nice to be prepared!

I must admit, I am *very* impressed with your chronologiscing (new word) of it all, that's a seriously good effort there!

I must admit, I cannot help with the ST or CC chronicles stories, because - rightly or wrongly - I just can't sink into the Doctor Who audio BOOKS. Gave it a try, just isn't working for me - hearing the tale read rather than voice acted.

As for the other stories - Sirens of Time, I believe, is often implied to be one of the last 7th Doctor adventures. In my mind, it comes right before the Movie. However - doctorwhoreviews.net has it placed inbetween Project Lazarus and Valhalla.

I believe Bang-Bang-a-boom has been placed too late, as it's a Mel adventure and needs to be shifted much earlier. DWR would suggest that the correct order should be Red, Paradise Towers, BBAM, Flip-Flop and then Delta and the Bannermen directly.

http://www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk/Seventh%20Doctor.htm this may help, although be aware it also includes the books!
                                Last edited by Flyboy; 26 January 2014, 10:23 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X