Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read most of the SG-1 books, but only one of the SGA books. I'm assuming that the SGA books would be more focused on the Ancients - they are based in their city after all. As for the SG-1 books, my personal favourites have been:
    • Relativity by James Swallow
    • Matter of Honor Sally Macolm
    • Cost of Honor by Sonny Whitelaw
    • Barque of Heaven by Suzanne Wood
    • Roswell by Sonny Whitelaw & Jennifer Fallon

I'm currently reading Do No Harm by Karen Miller, which is turning out to be another cracker. I love the stories that combine character back stories or personal issues with a good rollicking adventure/mystery and several of these books are examples of this.

It doesn't really matter what order you read them in as they jump from season to season. The exception, of course, being stories that continue over several books (like the Honor books).

Comment

I've seen ads for Stargate books. Does anyone read these? Are they any good? Where does one purchase such books?
      "The last time I came face to face with myself, I ended up kicking my own ass."

Comment

They are good and interesting, sure their not cannon but they are a good read
        Also I have picked mine up at chapters in the sci-fi section
        This isn't Atlantis?
        I don't think so.
        If this is not the Lost City…then where is it?

SGU= Awesome Eli is so me =P

Comment

Originally posted by sparkle View Post
          I've seen ads for Stargate books. Does anyone read these? Are they any good? Where does one purchase such books?
          A devotee here I'm mostly in it for the SGA books - I own all but Halcyon, which is impossible to get - and they are excellent. All but Swallow's "Nightfall", that one is just too bad for words. In the SG-1 series of books, I own all but so far, I've read only Julie Fortune's "Sacrifice Moon" and that was amazing (Julie Fortune is a nick of Rachel Caine who writes the "Weather Warden" urban fantasy so she's no no-name).

I also buy the audiobooks and they are really good, too. Rather short - approximately 70 mins. long - but great nonetheless I especially liked Michael Shanks reading "Gift of the Gods" and Kavan Smith reading "Impressions". They both have great voices!

And I buy them all from Amazon.

Comment

They're brilliant. Not many are of poor quality. So far the only novels I haven't really enjoyed at City of the Gods and Entanglement. Mirror, Mirror, I could do with another re-read of as I didn't entirely get it. And I've continually heard bad things about Nightfall unfortunately - which is weird since all James' other stuff has been amazing.

But the other 20 or so novels are absolutely wonderful. I continually re-read them and they continue to give me my SG fix. I hope to eventually see some original novels set in the SG universe.

And the audio novels, same goes for them. They're brilliant. If not a little extra-scifiy. It's wonderful to hear the voices of the actors reading new adventures. I always eagerly await the new books.

In other words, buy 'em all.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

In other words, buy 'em all.
              Yepp that is a good statment.
              I try to get all which are in reach of me here in Germany.

The only one of the SG1 novels i don't like is "City of the Gods".
              But the rest is awsome.
              So what would you think about Alar?
              I'm not sure he is concealing something.
              What do you think it is?
              I do not know. He's concealing it!

Comment

I go straight to the pub's site - www.stargatenovels.com I find they are cheaper on postage then amazon. I've enjoyed most of them except for Nightfall and Angelus, found them hard to get into and I struggled to finish them. (but alot was going on in real life so that was more likely the reason then the story itself)

My faves- Mirror Mirror, Halcyon, Exogenesis, The Chosen, and Casualties of war.

Comment

I would recommend getting them. The website above is great as is Amazon, which is where I have gotten mine. I think I got one at a local Barnes and Noble in the Sci-Fi section. I love them and am looking at some re-reads once I get a stack of books down of other authors. I have not read many of the early books and now they are out of print for the most part, so just have to keep my eyes open at used book stores and online. I may be one of the few then that enjoyed "Nightfall". Granted, I tend to enjoy them all although a few can be hard to follow, hence the re-reads needed! Mirror, Mirror is one of those for sure but was also very enjoyable. Just pick one up and see what you think!

Comment

The other place to get them is Ebay. I've picked some bargins up there (like the first 8 Atlantis books inc Halcyon and Exogenesis for $8) You'll Find 'The Chosen'', "Halcyon', Éxogeneses', 'Siren Song', and 'Survival of the Fittest', are way to expensive for most people though, but I find that a lot of people miss them when they're offered as 'bulk lot of Stargate books' because folks search for the individual titles when they're after those ones.

Comment

Wow, it sounds like there's a lot of books out there. I enjoy a good read and find myself craving new Stargate stories since Atlantis ended.

I will have to check these sites out and see what I can find.

Comment

I forgot to ask, are these books in chronological order?

Comment

Originally posted by sparkle View Post
                          I forgot to ask, are these books in chronological order?
                          Not really. The SG-1 books jump around all over the place in terms of timeline; the Atlantis books are sort of in order, though that's probably just a happy accident resulting from Fandemonium starting up the book line not too long before Atlantis started airing. A few of the books actually do have a note at the beginning of the book giving an approximate date for the story (usually a 'between x episode and y episode'); other times, clues in the first couple of chapters will give an indication as to when the events of the book take place.
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Anybody know what the latest release dates are for the books that were supposed to be released last month, this month and (I think) next month?

Nothing new is listed on the stargatenovels website and I'm pretty sure there were supposed to be new releases for SGA books.

Comment

If you enjoy the books or have any questions, see the author's thread here on GW!! THe authors are very friendly and helpful, and once in awhile, they'll post links to snippits of their upcoming books.

I get all my books from Fandemonium. I've had nothing but great service from them! I have also found them at Barnes and Noble and Waldenbooks (Borders).
                              sigpic

Comment

I buy my stargate books at barns and noble. There are a few that was sold out that i saw on other sites.

Comment

Working...
                                X