The Angels Take Manhattan (3305/705)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
    LOL. Thanks! I did wonder why such prominence was given to the picture in the lift. They made sure we saw it all nicely lit up on two separate occasions.
    That's right. The "an image of an angel becomes itself an angel" idea wasn't even mentioned but the Statue of Liberty picture does explain a few things.

Were those people in surrounding buildings, or were they residents of Winter Quay trapped by the angels? I can't remember. Looks like I'll have to go & watch the episode for a fourth time.
    A 4th time? Whoa. Now those folks were in the surrounding buildings across the street. The old woman had an interesting expression on her face, a non-verbal "oh no, not another one about to disappear" look. The little girl covered her face briefly.

When we saw an exterior shot of the Winter Quay building, we could actually see the Angels in the stairwell.
    sigpic

Comment

Just on the glasses thing I too used to wear glasses that slipped all the time. I had rather thick glasses for both reading and distance (bifocals) but a few years back I had permanent implants placed inside my eyes. Now all I wear are a pair of glasses for reading or using the computer, and a pair of very thin glasses for distance.
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I found this on Tumblr, which I thought was very poignant.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
          I found this on Tumblr, which I thought was very poignant.

Is that meant to be Rory's dad? I think he'd punch the Doctor

Comment

Finally got to see it, I enjoyed it, but definately spoiled myself abit with the ending...
            Looking forward to Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
              I feel sorry for Rory's dad, he must of been lonely losing his family.
              Wow. I honestly never thought about that. He even told them to go in The Power of Three and now he is never going to see them again.

Comment

Thanks P90 for explaining the paradox ...that makes a little better sense...that it didn't wipe out all the angels...obviously a few survived.

As for Amy's glasses...I took them as more of a prop to help show her aging... I mean Rory and the Doctor went on about her lines and then River's comment about...never let him see you age. That was a tribute for how long they had been toghether and honestly how do you make Karen Gillian look older without it becoming distracting I mean it was just a way to show that she was aging IMO. They didn't bother me.

As for the Statue of Liberty again...even with the pic in the elevator that still bugged me that they took liberty (literally) *snort* with that. I just can't see that...it was just too large of a stretch for me...but meh I got over it cuz the rest of the ep was so awesome.

Oh and I would agree that the building wasn't really dealt with because it maybe people were afraid of it and just stayed away for the most part. NY citizens for the most part keep to themselves and maybe it was jut the wayward traveler or indigent people who wandered in there. People that may not be missed readily. Although it was pretty well kept but I didn't really think of that...that didn't really bother me so much. Maybe the landlord of the building has a cleaning crew and well maybe he goes through alot of people Temporary agencies FTW!!! hehehehe Gosh I'm bad.
                Originally posted by jelgate
                This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  See my answer from above here. The paradox was only ever designed to erase Rory's death and poison the energy the Angels were using. It didn't erase them, it killed them. Likewise the hotel is probably still there, just now the Angels are dead it will fall into disrepair.

Let's be honest here... We English don't give a crap about American Rugby so we really don't care who is likely to win the superbowl. Moffatt will have just picked a team that he actually knows the name of.
                  I thought we saw the site without the hotel, due to the paradox collapsing?

For me, the Lions are an all-but unheard of team and I think Moffatt is better than that. For whatever reason, I think it was a deliberate choice of unusual team.

Comment

Episode was a contrived bunch of rubbish.

It'd have been a much better exit if they'd just decided last week that their real life is more important to them than travelling with the Doctor.

Rather the same 'i'll never ever leave you doctor, unless something terrible happens.' 'next week: some thing terrible happnes' Approach they used with Rose and Donna.

Suddenly I have much more respect for Martha who at least managed to say 'its be fun but i'm going now' to the Doctor.
                    sigpic
                    Banner By JME2

Comment

I loved this story. It was heart-wrenching. Excellent acting, lots of feelings.

That "don't show the damage" theme is interesting, but possibly a bit infantalizing for the Doctor. People get damaged, some heal, some don't. Endings do happen, what's he supposed to do then? Throw a tantrum like 2-year old who doesn't have the capacity to ...? ...n/m. Ah, well, it's deep and he's an ageless alien - let's roll with it.

---

I think the "image of an angel" is the most plausible way of explaining Lady Liberty. The person goes into the hotel, and any ideas they have about leaving get quickly squelched by that chestnut.

If the Angels had her move during a power outage (but kept enough lights on for Rory to witness his death), that means all our Statue of Liberty post cards are a risk.

Maybe her copper suit keeps people from seeing her, though.

---

It was cute seeing the Doctor act like he has a wife.

---

For such a high-falutin' production, Doctor Who sure does get sloppy with the continuity errors. The Angels were the main adventure and I get they weren't the main theme, but people were sloppy about having someone always looking at them, there's that little bit where the grip on River's arm changed...

The story didn't explain why the Doctor can't get to New York some other way, but I'll leave it at that lest I tempt someone to make Jersey jokes.

---

Perhaps now we have an explanation for little girl River going to New York in 1969.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post

It'd have been a much better exit if they'd just decided last week that their real life is more important to them than travelling with the Doctor.

Rather the same 'i'll never ever leave you doctor, unless something terrible happens.' 'next week: some thing terrible happnes' Approach they used with Rose and Donna.

Suddenly I have much more respect for Martha who at least managed to say 'its be fun but i'm going now' to the Doctor.
                        I feel the same way too.

Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post

Perhaps now we have an explanation for little girl River going to New York in 1969.
                        Oh yeah i forgot about that. Anyone know?
                        "You don't know half of it".
                        Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                        (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

I loved this episode, a fitting yet sad way to the end of the Ponds. I went in spoiler-free ad was glad I did! At least they get to be together in the end. The Doctor just adds more reasons to love him in this episode, Matt as 11 is just fantastic! Loved the bits with him and River and his little tantrum. I was on the edge of my seat when the Pond duo jumped off the roof! I was in a very good mood at the end then, SURPRISE! My mouth dropped to the floor, but their exit was well done! Its never easy switching companions. Do we have to wait until Christmas?!

The Statue of Liberty was pretty ridiculous, I kinda expected it though in the beginning. Almost RTD like, but kinda neat in a Moffat way too. Looks like the Doctor now has a reason to blindly hate the Angels like he hates...say the Daleks?

I hope this doesn't mean seeing no more Rory Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post

You know what? After watching it a couple of times now I totally agree with this line of thought. Martha said "it's been fun but now I have to go to live my life" and that was that. Amy and Rory should have, and could have done the same.

Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post

---

It was cute seeing the Doctor act like he has a wife.

---

But I thought they were married, as per that ceremony at the end of the last series... It was in his direct timeline so it stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                              But I thought they were married, as per that ceremony at the end of the last series... It was in his direct timeline so it stands.
                              Yeah, they're definitely married. I just didn't expect him to act so attached. I expected a continuation of the vanity-laced flirting.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                                You know what? After watching it a couple of times now I totally agree with this line of thought. Martha said "it's been fun but now I have to go to live my life" and that was that. Amy and Rory should have, and could have done the same.

well I just don't think having an exit like that every time with each companion would be very exciting... I mean I watch this show to be entertained and I think it's great to have these gut wrenching events and it makes sense that some of the companions will die never to return. I think Rory and Amy were just too close to the doctor that as long as they were alive he would always come back to them....and it would be hard for him to move on ....to take another companion. We saw in the Mercy ep that Amy said...you have been traveling alone too long...that shows us that even though Rory and Amy were attempting to have their own life...the Doctor was not able to pick up another companion. Possibly he was waiting to maybe go back and bring them along with him again...and maybe he didn't feel that he could "replace" them. So yeah I mean I get what you are saying....it hurts to see companions leave in such a dramatic fashion..but that is good story telling and it was what needed to happen for the Doctor to truly move in IMO. Amy and Rory were too close for them to simply say...."Ok it's been real...Later" And that be it. I wouldn't even feel right in him picking up a new companion after that....it would be sort of like he were abandoned and that to me would've almost been worse. I think this was a great wrap up for this run and while I feel sad... I also feel almost a sense of relief that he can move on now and find a new companion and not feel guilty about that. Cuz no one will replace Amy/Rory they will always be special to him....but he will find a new companion to be special in their own way.
                                Originally posted by jelgate
                                This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Working...
                                X