No announcement yet.

The Intruder (202)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really liked this episode. I loved the Earth flashbacks. I like the actor that plays Simon, but I'm really not diggin' the long hair, man. No offense to Weir, but even before she told him not to put his life on hold in Letters From Pegasus, I would think he would come to the same conclusion. He had no idea when or if she would ever be coming back at the time she left. (Neither did she, for that matter.) I don't actually care either way. I'm sure this will now leave the door open to romantic storylines for Weir. But I think it would have been interesting to have a story about someone who has someone at home waiting for them. In real life there are spouses/significant others who go very long periods of time without seeing each other because of work. That's just my opinion.

Very interesting that Caldwell lost the chance to be the military commander at Atlantis! But it kind of makes sense to me that he'd end up on the Daedelus. He was obviously ready for a long-term assignment very far away. And the military trusted that he could handle anything that came along in the Pegasus galaxy if they were going to send him. Who else would they put in charge of the one ship that could go back and forth between the galaxies? Really interesting choice to do that with the character. LIKE IT!

Really liked Weir pulling out the "you don't want to fight me on this" card. We certainly saw Hammond to it more than once.

I really love the humor in this episode and the humor on SGA in general. Not that SG-1 couldn't be funny, but it's just really nice. (I think maybe it's because the two shows I am watching right now are BSG and SGA - and the laughs are few and far between on BSG.)

By the way, I did think of Entity a bit while watching (and McKay specifically refers to it in the episode), but I didn't actually think of BSG at all. I personally don't mind the fact that we get similar plots on different TV shows. That's just a fact of life. I mean, do people nitpick the fact that something that happened on Grey's Anatomy also happened on ER 3 years ago??? (Actually, not having seen much of ER and none of Grey's Anatomy, that may have been a bad analogy. But I think you get what I mean.) It's about the specific characters and what they do in given situations. For example - body switching. A tried and true scifi/fantasy story. But it's different on SG-1, on Buffy, on Farscape, etc. I've seen all three of those examples and I loved them all. I'd have been sorry if they didn't do it on one of those shows just because "it's been done before."

My four cents.
    Last edited by meredithchandler73; 10 December 2006, 01:39 PM.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Ooh, I cringed my way through the flashback with Simon here. I really don't like him. Sorry if I'm being obvious or repetitive here, but doesn't he look like the guy who played the Tollan that fell for Sam [as all the alien males do]? Nareem...or something like that? He was annoying back then too, if it is the same guy. Anyway, I didn't see much of the first season, but whatever Weir told him, 'not to put his life on hold' or something, it would still be painful to discover that the person you cared about had taken you at your word, hadn't cared enough to wait, especially when there was a chance to be together again. I would have hoped they were still giving me a chance and not giving up so easy. With Mark in Voyager, he waited three years. I was screaming at this fool that a year is not a long time! Easy for me to say, I guess. Anyway, I'm glad they're not together, I just wish she hadn't been the dumpee. He could have told her from the start, not been wishy washy and leading her on. [What intrigues me is that she's not averse to having a relationship with someone on Atlantis, which is a point that a lot of fics use as conflict, the 'I'm in charge, I can't have a relationship with someone in the city' so that problem's not insurmountable]

I like seeing Weir being tough in the flashbacks. Sometimes, no matter how much I love the character, I don't see the point of her being there. The writers haven't really justified her position. The first season was all about discovering the Wraith threat and she wasn't qualified to deal with them, she's a negotiator and they can't be negotiated with. At least there were one or two eps where she went to deal with other people, but she wasn't entirely useful. All she does is wring her hands when the team's in trouble, and it annoys me, because the other characters don't seem to think she's much use either. I mean, Ronan ignores her and avoids her whenever he can [which is also irritating], Lorne slipped when he made the comment about her worrying too much...etc, etc. So seeing that she was responsible for John's promotion made me cackle with glee.
      'I am frightened that the flame of hate will burn me
      will scorch my pride, scar my heart
      It will burn and I cannot put it out...'

Sig by Falcon Horus- thank you!

my LJ of squee *myspace of angst * my fic of random

My OTP forever, by Stef, who is awesome:
      Spoiler:

Thanks, Stef!

Comment

I was just going to add that I am rewatching this episode and I found it interesting that Weir brought up the fact that Caldwell "didn't get the job he wanted". It was a nice lead-in to the flashback, but I don't think that Caldwell's behavior in the previous scene was about sour grapes. I just think he is a by-the-book military type.

By the way - I'm trying to forget what I read in the previous post since I'm watching Stargate Atlantis for the first time right now and I haven't seen anything beyond this episode. Ronan who!?!?!

DON'T ANSWER THAT! I'LL FIND OUT WHEN I FIND OUT!

Thanks.
        sigpic

Comment

Whoops, I'm sorry about that. I just assumed that people knew what I was talking about...we're terribly behind in Australia, only just beginning season two while I believe season three is already halfway through, if not more, so I'm used to people knowing more than I do! I hope I didn't spoil it too much for you...

I think Weir has control issues. She's learnt to handle Sheppard's way of doing things, but now this new dude's in the picture and he's taking charge and she can't handle that. I mean, she said it herself, she doesn't disagree with the changes, so why on earth is she protesting? I think the writers don't really know how to incorporate her into the episodes, and since she's the second person on the opening credits, they feel obliged to chuck her in somehow, and by making her really sensitive and taking offense to Caldwell doing the right thing, they've completed their Weir quota for the episode. I don't know, that's how it feels sometimes anyway, that they think up random lines for her in order for Torri to show her face at all.

Spoiler:

Thanks, Stef!

Comment

Hey there borgprincess. Not to worry, I have conveniently forgotten whatever it was you wrote about that was probably a spoiler.

I'm in the USA, but I just started watching SGA a couple of months ago. I took me a while to get through the first season DVDs even though I blew through the SG-1 DVDs *very* quickly. Now I'm trying to watch season 2, but it's kinda slow going. I won't go near season 3 until I'm finished with season 2. (I plan to download season 3 on iTunes.)

As for Weir, I haven't been bothered by the way they portray her. She is not and never has been in the military, so she I think she will always end up butting heads there to some degree.

As a general note - I love scifi. I haven't watched every scifi show out there, but I've seen my fair share. I especially love the number of great female characters that exist in the scifi genre:

Samantha Carter
            Vala Mal Doran
            Aeryn Sun
            Elizabeth Weir
            Teyla Emmagan
            Laura Roslin
            Dana Scully
            Kathryn Janeway

Just to name a few. None of them are clones of another. They are all strong women. I'd like to be more like a lot of these characters...if I ever planned to grow up.
            Last edited by meredithchandler73; 14 December 2006, 01:01 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Just watched The Intruder for the first time. I knew the premise of it beforehand, and was pleasantly surprised, because even though "computer takes over ship/house/building and everyone's in danger!" has been done by, as many people here have stated, pretty much every sci-fi show, this was a new look at it. Couple of funny moments, scary moments, etc. Loved Sheppard's reaction to Hermiod (so opposite of O'Neill), a few exchanges between Shep & McKay, the "Sheppard Book of Computer Repair," etc. Also nice to see the SGA team in civilian clothes (Rowr!).

From an employment viewpoint, I thought Carson's comments while reviewing the candidates for new team members were interesting. He said that everyone was more qualified than him, but he didn't seem very threatened by it, just a little intimidated, or more likely, humble. I've worked with several people who saw everyone as competition and wouldn't pick the best person for the team because of their own insecurities. I'm glad Weir reassured Carson.

Bummer that Simon broke up w/ Weir, but I think it was expected. Didn't care for the longer hair (and yes, it was the same actor that played the Tollan that had a thing for Carter on SG-1), but I think he should've told her from the beginning.

I really like Caldwell - even if he got off on the wrong foot w/ Weir. There's nothing wrong with being ambitious, and I don't think there's anything wrong with him wanting to run the military side of Atlantis - but it just wasn't going to happen. Nice to see Landry too. He's tough and serious, but fair (from what I saw in S9 of SG-1).

Big Kudos to DeLuise and the production team for the great effects, excellent lighting (which helped separate past from present), and the wonderful transitions. LOVED the transitions! Made the whole episode flow smoothly.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
              O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Got inspired by Sheppard's promotion in this ep and created this image:

(Icon Hammond's gonna have to step in for Caldwell for now.)
                Last edited by Jill_Ion; 29 December 2006, 07:40 AM. Reason: update image link

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by borgprincess View Post
                  Ooh, I cringed my way through the flashback with Simon here. I really don't like him. Sorry if I'm being obvious or repetitive here, but doesn't he look like the guy who played the Tollan that fell for Sam [as all the alien males do]? Nareem...or something like that? He was annoying back then too, if it is the same guy. Anyway, I didn't see much of the first season, but whatever Weir told him, 'not to put his life on hold' or something, it would still be painful to discover that the person you cared about had taken you at your word, hadn't cared enough to wait, especially when there was a chance to be together again. I would have hoped they were still giving me a chance and not giving up so easy. With Mark in Voyager, he waited three years. I was screaming at this fool that a year is not a long time! Easy for me to say, I guess. Anyway, I'm glad they're not together, I just wish she hadn't been the dumpee. He could have told her from the start, not been wishy washy and leading her on. [What intrigues me is that she's not averse to having a relationship with someone on Atlantis, which is a point that a lot of fics use as conflict, the 'I'm in charge, I can't have a relationship with someone in the city' so that problem's not insurmountable]
                  It's the same actor.

I thought he was a jerk not to tell her upfront. To a point I can understand him moving on (not saying I agree with it) but I thought it was pretty low to sling her along. How long where they back on Earth? I'm sure they spent time togehter, a lot of it. Don't they live together? I wonder what his other girlfriend thinks of him kissing her and leading her on?

Now onto the fact he didn't wait. She could and did. For all she knew he could have been hit by a bus two days after she left and she waiting for nothing yet she still waited. The fact he didn't tell her just added insult to injury.

I'm glad thigns are over btween them besides the fact she desreves for then that jerk, she free to have other relationships (with say John). and Thus new storylines have been opened up for future romances.

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                  Got inspired by Sheppard's promotion in this ep and created this image:

(Icon Hammond's gonna have to step in for Caldwell for now.)
                  Nice banner

LOL about using Hammond for Caldwall. It works pretty good
                  Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

Originally posted by angelfire east View Post
                    I'm glad thigns are over btween them besides the fact she desreves for then that jerk, she free to have other relationships (with say John).and Thus new storylines have been opened up for future romances.
                    Hee!!! My thoughts exactly.
                    sigpic
                    My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Sweet, a few Sh/Weir fans! I find it hard to locate similarly inclined people. My friends know to mention Sheppard/Teyla or Elizabeth/McKay to get me riled up...it's too easy for them...

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post

As a general note - I love scifi. I haven't watched every scifi show out there, but I've seen my fair share. I especially love the number of great female characters that exist in the scifi genre:

Samantha Carter
                      Vala Mal Doran
                      Aeryn Sun
                      Elizabeth Weir
                      Teyla Emmagan
                      Laura Roslin
                      Dana Scully
                      Kathryn Janeway

Just to name a few. None of them are clones of another. They are all strong women. I'd like to be more like a lot of these characters...if I ever planned to grow up.
                      Wow, with the exception of Laura Roslin [who?], I have those women on my list of role models too! I would also include Molly Caffrey from the short-lived 'Threshold' and Diana Skouris from 'The 4400'.

It's a great tribute to Claudia Black that she portrays two such strong yet dissimilar sci-fi characters. I like the fact they share qualities that I admire- strength of character, integrity, competence, strong morals, intelligence, confidence, beauty!- and as you said, they're not clones, they're quite distinct from one another. I've wanted to join just about every branch of the armed forces due to various characters, but I can't stand the thought of running laps over and over again...but the inspiration was there...!
                      Last edited by borgprincess; 21 December 2006, 08:19 AM. Reason: extra characters added

Spoiler:

Thanks, Stef!

Comment

My son and I loved this episode. Now I know what that picture is all about, the one where Rodney and John are just about to beam out and Rodney just looks weird! My son started giggling and said "He's got to go pea!" And anything with ships, my son loves. He was building ships out of lego again. He did Atlantis a week ago.
                        And now that we have caught up to this episode and have to wait for our tv station to air the next, we're started at the beginning of my season one DVD boxset. It was actually kind of cool to go back to Raising and see how things have changed.
                        Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

I loved this episode, is one of my many favorites from season 2.

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
                          Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
                          http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

What are you doing, copy and pasting your posts?

Comment

Added more to my comments.

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
                              Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
                              http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Hermoid: crap indeed

, I never thought an asgard could be that funny.
                                spoilers for unending:
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X