sigpic

Comment

6) Don't have The Things watch Orville
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        6) Don't have The Things watch Orville
        7) Don't let The Things read these posts when they come of age...
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Episode 11 is so funny. I loved it.

Comment

The show is enjoyable...but it hasn't made to it the "gotta watch it" status with me.
            sigpic

Comment

So season final is based on star trek voyager one episode where the planet spin fast and there for time was slower on the surface. I dont remember the episode name.
              sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

I remember that ST episode as well. There are more than a few "borrows" from Star Trek in this series.

Although I like this show, I was definitely not impressed with the ep. 12, the season finale.
                Spoiler:
                Not only did I have the plot nailed the instant the planet came back and it was more advanced than it was 11 days ago, but Mercer and Kelly going on a mission to a strange planet with a hangover, as well as another crewman saying he was drunk later on didn't seem quite believable.
                Mercer retaining command after lying to command was a stretch, as was regardless of Mercer's choices, shouldn't Kelly face consequences from command as well? There were other issues as well.

I get the feeling they phoned this one in. Hopefully, we won't see too many more like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  I remember that ST episode as well. There are more than a few "borrows" from Star Trek in this series.

Although I like this show, I was definitely not impressed with the ep. 12, the season finale.
                  Spoiler:
                  Not only did I have the plot nailed the instant the planet came back and it was more advanced than it was 11 days ago, but Mercer and Kelly going on a mission to a strange planet with a hangover, as well as another crewman saying he was drunk later on didn't seem quite believable.
                  Mercer retaining command after lying to command was a stretch, as was regardless of Mercer's choices, shouldn't Kelly face consequences from command as well? There were other issues as well.

I get the feeling they phoned this one in. Hopefully, we won't see too many more like this.
                  If this were a series show, yes, your concerns would be spot on. However, don't forget what it is. Though Kelly should have faced a reprimand too since Mercer had one.

That said, this type of story fascinates me. So my brain couldn't help but pick apart the premise for the sake of picking it apart.

1. I highly doubt a child saying some strange lady healed a scrape in her forehead (which no one saw the healing nor the scrape) would lead to a rather complex world belief system that would fill a bible sized book. I mean...who would believe the child's tall tales?

2. Going down and telling one person in a room of very few witnesses the truth is a great way to start a schism...or get the well meaning leader killed by a power hungry underling as it turned out.

3. That world advanced in leaps and bounds when compared to us. Although that's not really unrealistic. We really only have one measuring stick with which to compare it...or a few if you look at things a bit deeper. Keep in mind that we were living without electricity yet building cities for a few thousand worlds. They left the bronze age and arrived to a super advanced teleporting civilization in 2100 years. We've left that age what? 3000 years give or take some centuries? We gots some catching up to do.

4. In the Trekverse messing with primitive cultures is almost as bad as time travel, nothing good can come out of it. I liked how they displayed that for most of the episode and then made an interesting twist at the end. In the end, the civilization ultimately wasn't "poisoned" by the whole affair. In the end, religions to such levels would have developed. Society would have advanced through that and achieved what they achieved. It was a needed development that got them from one point to another. Had they done something more akin to that of ST:Voyager's take of this episode, the personal aspect of it wouldn't have been as strong, that was a nice touch.

5. The ST:Voyager version of this episode is one of my favorites in a way. But Voyager's impact was more believable. It's appearance was a huge change in civilizations' cosmology that required a major shift to explain. This then evolved with each society as they, throughout the eras, attempted to place Voyager in the proper context. In this case we didn't see the development but saw enough to get an idea. That their history wasn't too different from ours and left at an optimistic note.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                    1. I highly doubt a child saying some strange lady healed a scrape in her forehead (which no one saw the healing nor the scrape) would lead to a rather complex world belief system that would fill a bible sized book. I mean...who would believe the child's tall tales?
                    The group of adults that came into view at the end of that scene. Were they there long enough to have seen it? I think so.

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                    3. That world advanced in leaps and bounds when compared to us. Although that's not really unrealistic. We really only have one measuring stick with which to compare it...or a few if you look at things a bit deeper. Keep in mind that we were living without electricity yet building cities for a few thousand worlds. They left the bronze age and arrived to a super advanced teleporting civilization in 2100 years. We've left that age what? 3000 years give or take some centuries? We gots some catching up to do.
                    Given the hint...

Comment

That was a fitting season finale. Which may have been a reason for the 13th episode shifting to next season (or maybe this was the finale from the get go, they just shifted the twelfth episode or something, I guess you never know with Fox).
                      The story was of course obvious. Any messing with the culture will always make it worse. (Any sci-fi fan would tell you that.) I just kept shouting at the screen that the planet would develop some sort of religion anyway. And that it would lead to some sort of religious rule. All that regardless of whether anybody from Orville ever came down to the planet.
                      It was thus extremely satisfying that the message of the episode was that humanity learns. Slowly, and that it stumbles along the way. But eventually, it gets better.
                      That is just so Star Trek and I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                        That was a fitting season finale. Which may have been a reason for the 13th episode shifting to next season (or maybe this was the finale from the get go, they just shifted the twelfth episode or something, I guess you never know with Fox).
                        The story was of course obvious. Any messing with the culture will always make it worse. (Any sci-fi fan would tell you that.) I just kept shouting at the screen that the planet would develop some sort of religion anyway. And that it would lead to some sort of religious rule. All that regardless of whether anybody from Orville ever came down to the planet.
                        It was thus extremely satisfying that the message of the episode was that humanity learns. Slowly, and that it stumbles along the way. But eventually, it gets better.
                        That is just so Star Trek and I love it.
                        Yes, this show is more Star Trek than Trek itself is these days. And it constantly borrows from Trek; that's part of its appeal.

But the 12th episode was poorly stolen trek. There were far too many things that just didn't make sense, logical holes if you will. Yes, suspension of disbelief is required for sci-fi, but if you ask me, this want way over the line on this. For example, the planet phases between our dimension and its native dimension. Ok, find. But our galaxy & presumably universe is constantly rotating. If you could pick a fixed spot as a stationary "here" point, the stars, planets and such will move.
                        So, planet goes back home. 700 years, was it? pass before it returns. It will have moved in physical space during that time, so would Orville have as our universe turns. Yet all they had to do is wait for it, and it showed up in front of them.
                        There was just too much of that kind of logical hole.

Comment

You're talking about something that takes millions and millions of years. 700 years is too insignificant for planetary shift
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

The more realistic problem would be...wouldn't the locals notice a totally different night sky for 11 days? That's a pretty significant cosmological shift that would require explanation and be noted and spoken about for centuries after the fact...like 7 centuries. Maybe that would be why Kelly's actions managed to have such a larger impact. It was a "miracle story" that coincided with that shift in the night sky...even though I still don't buy a small scrape being allegedly healed causing much talk of a "miracle" or a goddess (even if the adults saw her do it). At most she would have simply been an agent of whatever proto-religion that they had. It's the second shift that should have also caused a major question regarding how the stars all changed...for 11 days...then a sighting of Kelly. You'd think the power hungry acolyte who killed the their "pope" would have thought twice about it. Then the third shift...I doubt Isaac would have had much trouble convincing people of what was what had he walked into their "UN" on day one and started talking.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

That's another valid "ooops". Among many. I just get the overall feeling that they phoned this one in and that was that.

Comment

There's an element of suspension of disbelief in regards to the religion itself, but it's not unreasonable to think that the particular tribe would start to worship Kelly. Yes it's a bit of a stretch that she then became the dominant faith among many, but there are thousands of faiths around the world. The dominant ones got lucky more than anything. The same can be true for Kelly.

As for the other 'holes' in the plot... I don't really see them. There's nothing that can't be just hand waved away in the same manner I do any number of Star Trek episodes. Indeed, the idea of the stars being different wouldn't even matter, because while the planet might appear every 11 days, it only stays in our dimensional realm for a matter of hours, not days. It's something that would likely not even get noticed in the first two visits, and in the 21st century-like time frame, the questions that likely would have been asked would only have been asked after they'd shifted back and by then Issac would have found himself somewhere where he can explain the reason for it.
                                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X