No announcement yet.

The Passage (310)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ummm what the hell was the point of this episode? Why didnt they just go around the cluster? Clearly you can see when they get to the other side that there are open stars. All they had to do was jump as a fleet around it. Sure it might have take a few more jumps but they wouldn't have lost 3 ships and I think overall it would have been a whole helluva lot faster too....

Comment

Originally posted by Smashing Young Man View Post
      Was anyone else bugged by the show's representation of the star cluster?

Normally these sorts of oversights in scientific accuracy don't bother me, so long as they're within reason, but the astronomy geek in me couldn't help but cringe at this one.
      Personally, I thought it was to be nostalgic about the Nova of Madagon from TOS....

Cee

Comment

Originally posted by Astrofighter View Post
        ummm what the hell was the point of this episode? Why didnt they just go around the cluster? Clearly you can see when they get to the other side that there are open stars. All they had to do was jump as a fleet around it. Sure it might have take a few more jumps but they wouldn't have lost 3 ships and I think overall it would have been a whole helluva lot faster too....
        Because it was a big freakin' star-cluster! They would have gone, but it would have taken more time than they had before the entire fleet starved to death. The only option was to go through the cluster before the fleet was torn asunder by hunger riots and slow, inevitable death. It was a lose-lose situation, and the fleet chose to take the lesser of two evils buy risking the cluster rather than exercise futility by going around.

Just a damn good ep, really. The loss of those ships once again demonstrated the writers aren't afraid to have the fleet incur serious losses, and likewise with the heartrending loss of Kat. Hopefully, she'll be remembered by the rest of the crew for a good while, as she's too great a character to instantly fade from collective memory ala Jammer. Truly a depressing loss, but then, it could have been worse; they could have killed Racetrack. Now that would have just plain pissed me off.
        Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
        Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
        Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
        - Serenity

Comment

Originally posted by hoof View Post
          Actually, it's spot on, if you are talking about a *young* star cluster (such as one that's still forming, complete with massive gas cloud).
          Yeah, well, there is that. C'mon, just let us whine a little.
          Frak! --Apollo
          Frak you. --Cain
          FRAK Me! --Kat
          frakwit! --Tyrol
          B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

Problem is that with a young star cluster, it's very unlikely there'd be a planet with life sophisticated enough (even if it's just microscopic algae) to supply the fleet with carbs and protein.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
              Problem is that with a young star cluster, it's very unlikely there'd be a planet with life sophisticated enough (even if it's just microscopic algae) to supply the fleet with carbs and protein.
              I'm gonna go ahead and suspend my disbelief on that one. Let's just say the star cluster was big, radioactive, kinda convoluted, and far enough from the algae planet to not have it glow in the dark.

Weak? Probably.
              War... war never changes

Comment

Originally posted by Ojos View Post
                Gaeta has always been "that guy" to me. I mean, you know the sort of regular wherever you go that you just can't imagine being absent? Gaeta is the Morn to Galactica's Quark's Bar, Grill, Gaming House and Holosuite Arcade (a wholly owned subsidiary of Quark Enterprises). Simply put, it just wouldn't be CIC without him.
                BTW, are you aware that Morn is the anagram of Norm (from 'Cheers') ??
                Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Comment

soooo...

what did that hybrid say when she grabbed Baltar's hand? My kids were screaming too loud for me to hear her.
                  Things we'd like to see in our favorite scifi...
                  Spoiler:
                  "Ori, meet Wraiths. Wraiths, meet Ori. I'm sure you'll get along famously." ~ any member of SG1.
                  "Priors, meet Cylons. Cylons, Meet Priors. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful theologic discussion." ibid
                  "This is the BattleStar Galactica - please identify yourself."
                  "This is the Earth Vessel Daedelus. Are you lost?"
                  "The WHAT Vessel?" Galactica Actual.

Comment

A thread with a partial transcript of the Hybrid/Baltar dialog has been posted at frakheads.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by madk99 View Post
                      BTW, are you aware that Morn is the anagram of Norm (from 'Cheers') ??
                      I'll do you one better: did you know that Cliff was in The Empire Strikes Back?
                      War... war never changes

Comment

I liked this episode it was very good............

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
                        Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
                        http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Originally posted by Ojos View Post
                          I'll do you one better: did you know that Cliff was in The Empire Strikes Back?
                          Dude, I'm looking at a Dead Helo in the Stargate ep "Maternal Instinct." First 5-10 mins. Go figure!
                          Frak! --Apollo
                          Frak you. --Cain
                          FRAK Me! --Kat
                          frakwit! --Tyrol
                          B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

Originally posted by takinspace View Post
                            Dude, I'm looking at a Dead Helo in the Stargate ep "Maternal Instinct." First 5-10 mins. Go figure!
                            God, I miss the early Stargate so much.

Aaron Douglas (Chief Tyrol) is one of the assistant DAs in The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Thread hijack HO!
                            War... war never changes

Comment

Originally posted by Mamid View Post
                              soooo...

what did that hybrid say when she grabbed Baltar's hand? My kids were screaming too loud for me to hear her.
                              How old are your kids? I don't think the series is adequate for "kids".
                              Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen...

...very often

Comment

Originally posted by Actionhank View Post
                                How old are your kids? I don't think the series is adequate for "kids".
                                I caught Terminator 2 in theaters at the ripe old age of 5. If (and this is a big IF) I turned out OK after something like that, then BSG oughtta be peanuts.
                                War... war never changes

Comment

Working...
                                X