This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I would really love continuations of all three series, but realistically if we want anything to succeed it'll need to be a new show.
    New, yes, but at least a few throwbacks to all three. I dunno if you watch Hawaii 5-0 Digi, but they have some -very- cool throwbacks. They don't rule the show, but when they can do it (WELL), it's very cool.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I would really love continuations of all three series, but realistically if we want anything to succeed it'll need to be a new show.
      I've probably posted this a couple times already, but I wouldn't mind a new show at all. However, would just like to know what the actual Canon ending storyline would be for SGA and SGU. Maybe a new show could at least acknowledge what ends up happening to them or carries on in a direction that utilizes the previous storylines as part of its plot. Something to give people closure but also have a hook for fans of the other shows to wanna watch the "theoretical" new show.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
        I've probably posted this a couple times already, but I wouldn't mind a new show at all. However, would just like to know what the actual Canon ending storyline would be for SGA and SGU. Maybe a new show could at least acknowledge what ends up happening to them or carries on in a direction that utilizes the previous storylines as part of its plot.
        The problem with that is, you start to -limit- your viewing audience insofar as stargate has 17 seasons of stuff to catch up on for "new audiences", and that's a -big- stumbling block. If you just randomly throw out Atlantis or Destiny, people will wonder "WTF are you talking about", and YES, for some people will go back and look into SG-1/SGA/SGU, but for most?
        I just don't think most people have the patience for that, sad as it might be for SG fans.
        Something to give people closure but also have a hook for fans of the other shows to wanna watch the "theoretical" new show.
        I feel your point, I just dunno if it can work -as a basis- for a new show, ya know??
        I think that MGM should "lease" out Stargate to the CW to be honest, and build on the pop culture references in things -like- Supergirl.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          The problem with that is, you start to -limit- your viewing audience insofar as stargate has 17 seasons of stuff to catch up on for "new audiences", and that's a -big- stumbling block. If you just randomly throw out Atlantis or Destiny, people will wonder "WTF are you talking about", and YES, for some people will go back and look into SG-1/SGA/SGU, but for most?
          I just don't think most people have the patience for that, sad as it might be for SG fans.

I feel your point, I just dunno if it can work -as a basis- for a new show, ya know??
          I think that MGM should "lease" out Stargate to the CW to be honest, and build on the pop culture references in things -like- Supergirl.
          That does make sense to me. I was one of those, however, that watched Atlantis and the SGU before ever watching SG1 many years later. Initially, there were some things that I didn't catch or completely understand. Most of it, I didn't even realize it was a reference to another show. When I did watch SG1 I realized some of those things and they made a little more sense. But honestly, I loved those shows anyway with that originating knowledge missing. To your point about CW, I could see that. I have t watched much CW stuff since Smallville to be honest (I hear they are really good though and will eventually get to it.) As long as it isn't too "teen" based. I would like it to be mostly adult action and not a bunch of pre-teen Gate travelers with love triangles and hormone induced intergalactic destruction.

Comment

That does make sense to me. I was one of those, however, that watched Atlantis and the SGU before ever watching SG1 many years later. Initially, there were some things that I didn't catch or completely understand. Most of it, I didn't even realize it was a reference to another show. When I did watch SG1 I realized some of those things and they made a little more sense. But honestly, I loved those shows anyway with that originating knowledge missing. To your point about CW, I could see that. I have t watched much CW stuff since Smallville to be honest (I hear they are really good though and will eventually get to it.) As long as it isn't too "teen" based. I would like it to be mostly adult action and not a bunch of pre-teen Gate travelers with love triangles and hormone induced intergalactic destruction.
            They could always mention some or all past things and knowledge to help new audiences understand. They do sometimes mention that in some episodes. Also it has been done in other tv series for example Star Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by Raj_2006 View Post
              They could always mention some or all past things and knowledge to help new audiences understand. They do sometimes mention that in some episodes. Also it has been done in other tv series for example Star Trek.
              Yes and include the occasional flashback to help tie up some of the more hard to explain details.

Comment

They just need to make a two-hour special which is a retrospective of all of the three series - include only the most important stuff in it, then work the special into the actual new series by having the SG-1/SGA/SGU guys make cameo appearances so they can connect the first three series with the new one and provide a door to quickly open new plots and stories. That can give space for the development of the new characters. Conclude the SG-1/SGA/SGU stuff in 3-4 episodes in the first half of the first season of the new show (not necessarily straight in the beginning), than let the new guys kick ass. Then, much later in the new series (like the 4th or 5th season), have the new guys occasionally get in the kind trouble that the guys from the first three series are familiar with and use the now "veteran" characters to advance the plot and the storyline of the new series while giving short updates on themselves at the end of their cameo episodes.
                Last edited by Mnikolic; 19 March 2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Wiith how SGU ended, it would need more than a 'retrospective' in a 2 hr ep to conclude it in a manner they could then allow for cameos to go on in other shows.

Comment

I know that there was a petition on change.org but did that ever get turned in to MGM? Did MGM respond at all if it was? Obviously they haven't made a new show but did the company say anything in response to the petition or just ignore it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                      They just need to make a two-hour special which is a retrospective of all of the three series - include only the most important stuff in it, then work the special into the actual new series by having the SG-1/SGA/SGU guys make cameo appearances so they can connect the first three series with the new one and provide a door to quickly open new plots and stories. That can give space for the development of the new characters. Conclude the SG-1/SGA/SGU stuff in 3-4 episodes in the first half of the first season of the new show (not necessarily straight in the beginning), than let the new guys kick ass. Then, much later in the new series (like the 4th or 5th season), have the new guys occasionally get in the kind trouble that the guys from the first three series are familiar with and use the now "veteran" characters to advance the plot and the storyline of the new series while giving short updates on themselves at the end of their cameo episodes.
                      I agree with some of the things you have mentioned.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      Wiith how SGU ended, it would need more than a 'retrospective' in a 2 hr ep to conclude it in a manner they could then allow for cameos to go on in other shows.
                      I agree with that SGU will need more than a 2 hour episode to conclude it. They can still continue the series and hopefully make changes to it.

Also do you all think the length of each season should be shortened so not to have to many filler episodes and also do the full length of a season if there is a need? So each season could be at least be between 10 to 15 episodes and go the full 20 or so if it is needed.

Comment

I know that there was a petition on change.org but did that ever get turned in to MGM? Did MGM respond at all if it was? Obviously they haven't made a new show but did the company say anything in response to the petition or just ignore it?

Yes it is still there. As for if it has been shown to MGM and others, I have no idea but there has been new petitions started. If you go to the first page on this thread, my first post, it has the petitions listed. Here is the link, https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...evision-Series.

Comment

Originally posted by Raj_2006 View Post
                          Also do you all think the length of each season should be shortened so not to have to many filler episodes and also do the full length of a season if there is a need? So each season could be at least be between 10 to 15 episodes and go the full 20 or so if it is needed.
                          Well, shows like the 100, The Last ship and the like are doing very well with only 13 eps a season. So if thats how they had to go to return SGU to us, i would be all for it!

Comment

No, please. No more short, no filler seasons. Filler is what adds depth, character development, even can add slight hints towards the main plot. Besides, we live in the age of netflix and binge watching id say make it a 20 episode season WITH filler. Sorry i just cant stand the fad of short seasons.

Comment

Game of Thrones has been driving fans mad for 6 long years with only 10 episodes for each of those years. 10 weeks out of 52 per year.
                              We were spoilt rotten getting 20 a year for 10 years out of Stargate SG1.

Anyway, if you are going to pull the spinoffs back into SG1, you will need as many episodes as you can get in a year to get it all together.
                              http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Madcrazycats View Post
                                No, please. No more short, no filler seasons. Filler is what adds depth, character development, even can add slight hints towards the main plot. Besides, we live in the age of netflix and binge watching id say make it a 20 episode season WITH filler. Sorry i just cant stand the fad of short seasons.
                                How about they can reduce the filler episodes and only do them if it is necessary for example the reasons you mentioned. Having long and short seasons has advantages and disadvantages. Having a mixture may benefit.

Comment

Working...
                                X