No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered my mousepad from a company in Germany back then for about 15 euro. High quality pad, still being used 10 years later. It's not original beige anymore due to plenty of use but it's still in perfect condition otherwise.

Edit:
    It was 2 mousepads I ordered for that price. The other one is no longer used as a mousepad but as a cover when I'm weaving chainmail so I don't scratch the table with my rings.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2018/...e-merchandise/

No, no and no....
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        Indeed no... but since they are apparently keen on promoting, I have added my information about shipping as a comment. It's important for me, as a fan, to inform others what the limitations are and who these people are that are operating under the MGM license -- and that shipping outside of the USA is beyond ridiculously pricey.

Comment

No on the merchandise.

Comment

5 items total only? Have you seen the graphics on the t-shirt? There is no artwork of any sort, only the SG:C logo. Cmon!

This is literally Chinese-grade quality overpriced stuff. I was going to consider the mug, but 18$ (without shipping) for a *****ing mug with next to no graphics other than the small symbiote? Are you joking? This merchandise is an insult to us all. #boycottDatSh!t
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

There are much better fan arts here on the GW. Or you can find nice collages which can be put on items (T-shirt, mugs, mouse pad, posters etc.), but not these "official" rubbish.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

There are much better fan arts here on the GW. Or you can find nice collages which can be put on items (T-shirt, mugs, mouse pad, posters etc.), but not these "official" rubbish.
                Indeed there are, but that means altering the license.

From the items in the shop, it's clear that this is a general license which clearly doesn't cover the TV-series as such, otherwise the designs wouldn't be this generic. The 4 names to anyone unfamiliar with stargate would just register as 4 random names.

The only copyright image used is the Stargate Command logo on the ballcap and the christmas tree ornament. Beyond that, there are no (visible) copyright images used. I doubt there is a copyright on the Goa'uld image (for that matter).

It's not Stargate merchandise, it's Stargate Command merchandise, and poorly done too. Replace the command logo with Gateworld, for example, and you know what I mean. This is the kind of merchandise that any fansite (under license) could sell to their users.

There's nothing "official merchandise" about it -- just Stargate Command official, and that's not what most USA/CA/AUS/NZ fans were looking for, I think, when they were talking about merchandise. This is like the Founders' Patch -- exclusive **** and the rest of the fandom is ignored yet again.

Really, that they still dare to show their faces in public is a surprise to me.

Comment

I'll give it to whoever is in charge at SG:C, they did a good job milking every dollars off Origins.
                  Spoiler:
                  I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                    I'll give it to whoever is in charge at SG:C, they did a good job milking every dollars off Origins.
                    Well, isn't that what this was ultimately all about -- monetizing the fanbase (as TopFan notes so eloquently).

Comment

Very sad. Anyone writing a book called How To Kill Off A Popular Scifi Franchise? When the CEO of CBS announced, earlier in 2018, that there would be FIVE more Star Trek tv series produced in the future, my jaw dropped. MGM doesn't want to compete and only interested in shareholder payments on old movies and non-scifi tv shows?

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                        MGM doesn't want to compete and only interested in shareholder payments on old movies and non-scifi tv shows?
                        They got The Handmaid's Tale these days -- must be enough.

Comment

I'm starting to believe that the current management is afraid to take risks. If I'd venture a guess, I'd say the shareholders are very shy to take on any grand-scale projects, since they ''recently'' got out of bankruptcy. Stargate fits that description, since the success of it is (for them) not guaranteed.

That being said, going with a half-measure (SG:O) which I would classify in the same bunch than all these B-movies IS not a good business move. You're alienating the fan-base, reducing considerably the odds of a future project of ever succeeding. It's going to be harder to get them on board, if we ever get a reboot.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

I believe as long as you don't sell it and you don't earn money with it, it is not against the law to put SG pictures on such items which are used for personal use. That is the reason I have said we can easily make our own t-shirt, pillow or whatever else.

I have started a little SG:C related conversation here about the future :
                            https://www.stargatecommand.co/forum...tml&k=fb920687

Comment

I believe as long as you don't sell it and you don't earn money with it, it is not against the law to put SG pictures on such items which are used for personal use. That is the reason I have said we can easily make our own t-shirt, pillow or whatever else.
                              MGM is pretty tame with cease and desists -- unlike Disney -- but yes, if you don't make a living out of it, than you most certainly can do all that.

Comment

Wow.... those "Original Gater" titles are really rubbing it in now...

Comment

Working...
                                X