No announcement yet.

"Ick sprecken deutsch" or the ... interesting use of foreign languages in Grimm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of mine informed me a couple of minutes ago, over here they changed another Wesen-name - but this time ... that will turn out veeery intersting when season 2 will finally air here: Fuchsbau is now ... *insert drumroll here* ... Fuchsteufel.
    Seriously, I'm laughing my ass off right now. Thank you, Vox, with this you really made my day . Now I cannot await to hear what they will make out of Rumpelstilzchen *hehehe*

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
    Sig & Avi by Josi
    sigpic
    LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
    I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Hi,

As a Dutch Grimm viewer (It does not air over here, but that won't stop me ) I understand the German (I had German lessons at high school) sentences and off course the Dutch in Season 2. I laughed really hard when they showed the "Amsterdam" scenes. Clearly the googled some tourist impressive building and used that as background. Because my house looks nothing like that . Further, the actor is probably not Dutch because of his pronation when he picks up the phone. "Hallo, wie is daar?" Is not a wrong Dutch sentence (roughly translated it means: Hello, who is there?) but is something nobody would say over the phone in this time and year. Maybe in the 1950 .

The German words are a nice Grimm touch but I also agree about the pronation, is not always what it suppose to be

Comment

Sorry to hear that Grimm still isn't available in the Netherlands - besides, welcome to the Forum, CreaJoa .

Sig & Avi by Josi
        sigpic
        LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
          Sorry to hear that Grimm still isn't available in the Netherlands - besides, welcome to the Forum, CreaJoa .
          Tnx Well, they broadcasted a couple off episodes but then stopped and haven't start again. There is hope...!

Comment

Mh, that's weird! Were the ratings down? Do you know that?

Sig & Avi by Josi
            sigpic

Comment

Well, they broadcasted season 1 and after that 2 episodes from season 2 and then abruptly stopped. I believe it's because of bad ratings. I found out that one episode just had 263.000 viewers. In a small country like the Netherlands even that is bad. Top programs for instance have 2 million viewers.

Luckily I saw the episodes before the broadcasting even started here, but it is to bad for people who don't have the skills to watch it on the internet or just need the dutch subtitles to understand it all. Except for the Dutch, Flemish en German parts off course

Comment

That is the first time I hear Grimm didn't did well in any country . Wow! Did they put in on the wrong timeslot? That's really weird!
                Ah, well, I'm not that lucky about the German dubbing (I think my opinion about that is very clear) and as much as I love Grimm I avoid watching it here on TV. Wrong voice-casting, bad translation, now the "corrections" *shakes head*. I'm really wondering what they can do to the show before the ratings are dropping in Germany

Sig & Avi by Josi
                sigpic

Comment

"Hallo, wie is daar" is indeed a strange way to answer to phone. I'd say it if I heard a noise in the dark or so.. As to it may be used in the 1950's, he was an older man, perhaps it's just the way he was taught? Then it would fit of course.

Comment

That is the first time I hear Grimm didn't did well in any country . Wow! Did they put in on the wrong timeslot? That's really weird!
                    Ah, well, I'm not that lucky about the German dubbing (I think my opinion about that is very clear) and as much as I love Grimm I avoid watching it here on TV. Wrong voice-casting, bad translation, now the "corrections" *shakes head*. I'm really wondering what they can do to the show before the ratings are dropping in Germany
                    I don't know anything about a wrong timeslot, it was broadcasted around 8 o'clock around here so that's not a bad time in my opinion. At least they don't dub here but just use subtitles.

Comment

Originally posted by Divinecoma View Post
                      "Hallo, wie is daar" is indeed a strange way to answer to phone. I'd say it if I heard a noise in the dark or so.. As to it may be used in the 1950's, he was an older man, perhaps it's just the way he was taught? Then it would fit of course.
                      Like I said...I never answer the phone like that and I don't know any "elder" people who do so. Well, at least it was Dutch..

Comment

was doing some research for a story i'm writing (not Grimm-related in any way) and came across this:
                        The last two say:
                        Germanic name element

Ancient Germanic
                        *-ber?? = (nomen agentis of) 'to help, to rescue' [1]
                        *-berg? = (nomen agentis of) 'to help, to rescue' [1]
                        Old Norse
                        bjarga = 'to help, save, rescue' [1] [2]
                        bj?rg = 'help, deliverance' [2] [3]
                        -bj?rg = (nomen agentis of) 'to help, to rescue' [1]
                        borg = 'stronghold, fortification, castle' [3]
                        Old High German
                        burg = 'fortification, castle, protection' [4]
                        burg = 'stronghold, fortification, castle' [5]
                        bergan = 'to help, to rescue' [6]
                        Old Saxon
                        burg = 'stronghold, fortification, castle' [7]
                        borg = 'stronghold, fortification, castle' [5]
                        Old English
                        burh = 'fortress, fortified place' [8]
                        And:
                        Germanic name element

Old Norse
                        harðr = 'hard, strong' [1]
                        h?rðr = 'hard' [2]
                        Old High German
                        harti = 'hard, strong'
                        hard = 'hard, strong' [3]
                        I am such a nerd for this kind of thing. OMG. OMG. OMG. Dorkgasm. LOL.
                        me likes me some sassy: http://twitpic.com/cxe2qe ?

Comment

Grimm returns October 24
                          sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                          Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

does anyone know if Claire Coffee (the girl who plays Adalind) speaks German IRL? her Musai episode dialog was a mouthful.

acting in a language you don't speak. <--marketable skill. BOOYAH!
                            me likes me some sassy: http://twitpic.com/cxe2qe ?

Comment

She did remarkable good, I was surprised how good.

Sig & Avi by Josi
                              sigpic

Comment

She did remarkable good, I was surprised how good.
                                but you still could 'hear' that it's not her mother tongue
                                Grimm returns October 24
                                sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                                Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Working...
                                X