MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    But they will never read this thread anyway...
    In retrospect, that might be for the better...

Made enough trouble as it is on the platform -- when that was still possible.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Honour is one my basic principle. I doubt that we have to shame or regret anything what was discussed here in the last 18-20 months. I wish I could tell them face to face the same as well. This thread has became a feedback of the app, the superfan contest, the different announcement lies at cons and of course the endless hope of continuing the Stargate franchise. Basically it became my little virtual Stargate home where it was and is worth to return to see familiar faces. So if you want to change the title then maybe the "about the future of Stargate franchise" would be the best description. Mostly 5-10 people have chatted actively anyway about the unchangeable sad facts here, so I doubt any newbie user would be misleaded by this thread's title anyway when they start to read back.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I think the success of Origins is known... it wasn't.

And the SGC -- they pretty much ruined themselves. I have no doubt, all-access folks (those who were able to log back in anyway) are still streaming plenty enough to warrant an extension of its existence.

But let's take the superfan contest as an example... what has come forth from that initiative, I ask you?
        Absolutely nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. It's like they vanished from existence altogether.

Comment

i never got the all access pass.... never really saw the point of geo-locking things to only a handful of countries.... it limits how successful something like origins could have been

Comment

The latest news I've seen is over on Facebook on the Gatecon and Gatecon Gategoers groups. Someone going by Gate Gabber was chosen to create a Stargate tabletop RPG game. Jenny Stiven also commented and said she would create a Facebook page for the RPG game and fans.

Comment

I'm not sure what there is to regret or be ashamed of. It's just fans discussing and speculating on a forum. It's not like any of us are the CEO of MGM and get to make multi-million dollar decisions about the franchise. or at least, i don't expect anyone to even admit that anyway.

It's MGM's job to take care of the franchises they own, but the way it's been going is that barely any effort or money is put into it and well, they get the results they paid for. Wall off access and fewer people care, when the moment now is to spread the world more than ever. Like i mentioned before, the core fanbase is in their 60's and beyond now, we need to be recruiting.

Comment

MGM has given Wyvern Gaming the rights to use the Stargate name and characters for the RPG tabletop game. So it's not just "talk" as you suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                  The latest news I've seen is over on Facebook on the Gatecon and Gatecon Gategoers groups. Someone going by Gate Gabber was chosen to create a Stargate tabletop RPG game. Jenny Stiven also commented and said she would create a Facebook page for the RPG game and fans.
                  Wyvern Gaming is in the RPG gaming business... Might be GG is like a Dungeon Master in this case. They might be a bunch of beta-testers perhaps.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  It's MGM's job to take care of the franchises they own, but the way it's been going is that barely any effort or money is put into it and well, they get the results they paid for. Wall off access and fewer people care, when the moment now is to spread the world more than ever. Like i mentioned before, the core fanbase is in their 60's and beyond now, we need to be recruiting.
                  Hey now... I'm still a spry 38-year old, thank you very much.

MGM squandered the moment, in my honest opinion.
                  They had momentum when Origins was announced, when they streamed it and when they made it available for everyone else. Instead they chose to let it fizzle out.

Same with every "con-appearance" from any Stargate Command related people... nothing but fizzling...

It certainly doesn't do the Stargate franchise any good.

I'm not gonna "recruit" anyone to pour themselves into a franchise that goes nowhere. It's literally pointless to do so. Better to invest time in something that moves ahead in several different directions and gets attention from its owner... say Star Trek.

MGM has given Wyvern Gaming the rights to use the Stargate name and characters for the RPG tabletop game. So it's not just "talk" as you suggest.
                  Except that the core group of people who actually play such games is ridiculously small in comparison to anything else.
                  There was an RPG game a decade or two ago, stargate-themed. Don't know how succesful it was, but seeing as how few people actually know about it... I'd say not very -- generally speaking -- other than RPG'ers, I imagine.

How much interest do you think there is for an RPG game?
                  It's literally a low risk investment... everything is on the lower investment scale when it comes to stargate with MGM.

Comment

I guess if Wil Wheaton can bring back tabletop games, maybe MGM is trying something new with RPG tabletop games.

Comment

I guess if Wil Wheaton can bring back tabletop games, maybe MGM is trying something new with RPG tabletop games.

Maybe they should let him beta test the new game.

Comment

Seriously a tabletop game... is this a joke? Surely that will bring glory back to SG again, for the few 5-10 nerds like us that will (or won't) buy it.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Well... at least, there will be a few happy nerds at least...

Comment

Don't sell it short though. More recently I got in contact with a lot of people who know and play RPGs, and a lot of them very well know the Stargate RPG, even if they're not a fan of the shows or have never played it.

Moreover, the chances that MGM is behind this move is very very slim. It's more fair to assume it was Wyvern Gaming themselves who wanted to create the RPG and approached MGM to license it, as with the comics. MGM then merely licensed the IP to them, likely through that licensing company whatever its name is. It is then entirely up to Wyvern to fund, develop, and publish it. They in return pay royalties to MGM for the license. That is how a lot of licensing works, and that is also what happened with Star Trek Adventures, the recent Star Trek RPG.

For STA, they had to come up with funding (using Kickstarter), they had to develop it, with of course some influence from CBS to make sure the license is used properly and with some creative consultation, and they published it themselves. This is actually a good thing for Stargate, and something I hope will happen a lot more. MGM can just license it out and let the people that do care take care of everything with less "risk" to MGM (as long as they get the royalties). In all honesty, that's fine by me. At least it's better than leaving everything to MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                              Moreover, the chances that MGM is behind this move is very very slim. It's more fair to assume it was Wyvern Gaming themselves who wanted to create the RPG and approached MGM to license it, as with the comics. MGM then merely licensed the IP to them, likely through that licensing company whatever its name is. It is then entirely up to Wyvern to fund, develop, and publish it. They in return pay royalties to MGM for the license. That is how a lot of licensing works, and that is also what happened with Star Trek Adventures, the recent Star Trek RPG.
                              Brandgenuity is the company you're looking for and they were attending the London Brand Convention last week, promoting MGM's franchises, focal point Robocop and to a lesser extent Stargate.

Comment

So err... what are the perks for signing up for another year?
                                Or haven't they asked for it yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X