No announcement yet.

Do you think Rush knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still going to believe Rush knew because it just makes him more awesome for me.

Comment

I think Rush has a certain amount of guilt or remorse about dragging everyone along to this situation so I think he tends to second guess himself when given the chance. His remark about never having been happier to be wrong seemed genuine so at the time he truly didn't know but once things have returned to some semblance of normalcy his pessimism creeps back in, thinking to himself that he should've known
      If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
      Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Now I think Rush didn't know for sure,

but when he realized what happened, after a moment of joy and when Young suggested he knew, then the silence of Rush may be explained because he suddenly felt stupid for not having guessed what was going to happen. He was problably thinking "why didn't I see that coming? Young is right, that's something I should have known"...

If he had replied to Young, "no I didn't know", then he would seem to be incompetent, which is something Rush would hate to admit, i think.
        He couldn't lie and said he knew, because people would ask why didn't he say something!
        So he left, to go sulk in his room..
        Ok "cheers, stop bugging me and infer i'm rather stupid or selfish; i'll be in my room"....

Comment

Well, even if he knew, why shouldn't he be happy? He will live and his theory was correct!
          What example could I bring... (?)
          Ah... if you are about to cross the rail road and there is a train coming to intercept you, but you kinda know (have calculated or just have very good intuition ) that you will make it - wouldn't you be happy when/ if you made it?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
            It is still being debated because it is interesting. It's also about the "why". I believe Rush did not know, but then why would he act like he did towards Young. Why is he letting on? I read some truly interesting theories here about that and I believe them to be true.

And not only that it is interesting to discuss reasons why not to tell, if he suspected or knew, even if that is just what it is, discussion and nothing more.

People have different opinions and this gives them a place to talk about the differences in opinion and their opinion and again "Why."
            Fair points. I actually find the theories interesting myself...but rationality has led me to believe that the actor and the writers have already told me Rush never knew. I suppose the act of surprise he put on *just* for the cameraman could have been to psyche himself up...to get into the part, so to speak. For me, that would be the only other rational explanation.

As to why Rush never did himself any favours in dissuading Young to believe what he did, I took that as Rush being Rush. The sociopath was happy to be excluded from the group again. I think it was the fear of being 'included' that caused that. I've seen it in real life. People will actively encourage others to think ill of them, so they'll go away and leave them be. There's nothing as strange as folk.

Comment

Rush didnt know the only reason he pretended he did at the end was he really doesnt want to be liked and young was started to atleast beable to tollorate and treat him with respect Ie patting him on the back , shaking hes hand and offering him extra

Rush felt uncomfortable with this so destroyed the relasionship before it started.

Comment

Originally posted by HAL View Post
                Rush didnt know the only reason he pretended he did at the end was he really doesnt want to be liked and young was started to atleast beable to tollorate and treat him with respect Ie patting him on the back , shaking hes hand and offering him extra

Rush felt uncomfortable with this so destroyed the relasionship before it started.
                Perhaps, rush did seem to mellow slightly after getting over his caffeine and cigarette withdrawal.
                sigpic

Comment

I don't think he knew... I think he might've had a slight hope, but I don't think he knew.

His reaction at the end just got me super suspicious... but after re-watching the first half of the episode, you can tell he's not faking.

Comment

I don't think he knew for certain, but perhaps it was one of his hypotheses. Since the destiny may have encountered similar situations in the past, he might have factored in the ability to survive that kind of encounter, but his calculations had too little info to project certainty, so he kept that to himself.
                    no means no, and so does pepper spray
                    Sig by The Carpenter
                    sigpic

Comment

I think he only realised what was going on when the Ship was in the sun, and they were all still alive. Before that he expected to die like everyone else.

Comment

I think he had some degree of knowlege, he must have had some theories about how the ship still had power after being launched so long ago, but i don't believe he knew for sure.

I just find his character to be such an enigma, he wants so desperately to be hated. He could've taken a lot of credit for getting the shuttle back and saving 15 people, he could've been jovial about how he was right and wrong at the same time (with the power), and if he'd just been a little happy about how they are still all alive he would've been welcomed into the group with open arms.

It's amazing that he'd made peace with Col. Young and Eli just before they were going to die but he's once again made himself the bad guy.

Comment

Yes. Of course he knew, of course he would've worked it out.
                          I think he knew there was no reason why the ship would've gone off course so much that it'd land up in the path of a star...

Plus, when he was asked, he didn't say anything and walked off. He either didn't want to admit to it, *or* he could have just done that to make them believe that he knew...

I thought I had him figured out with the whole caffeine-withdrawal thing... but now he's just as confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Julian View Post
                            I think he knew there was no reason why the ship would've gone off course so much that it'd land up in the path of a star...
                            Actually when the ship dropped out of FTL it was heading towards the blue gas giant and not towards the star. It was not as if the ship dropped out of FTL and was heading towards the sun, that was not what happened. So imho your reasoning there is wrong.
                            A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

He didn't know until he went to the console and checked. The lack of reaction to Young's accusation, I think, was simply that he either (a) doesn't care (and I think he does) or (b) doesn't react because that's what Young expects.

Comment

I've been meaning to either call in to the podcast or write on the forum regarding this subject. I believe Rush did not know. In "Light" he was actually very friendly. Until the end when his personality did a 180. My theory is, Rush thought he was going to die so he was friendly. But after this didnt happen, he changed. Why? Because he think he doesn't want to grow any emotional bonds with anyone. In Air Pt 1 we see Rush looking at a picture. Did this person in his life die? Leave him? We don't know but what I do believe is Rush doesn't not want to be liked. The turning point in his personality was when Young slapped him on the back thanking him for a good job.

In the end, Rush never acknowledged the question if he knew because he just wanted to seem like a "Dick". And he did it on purpose.

Comment

Working...
                                X