No announcement yet.

Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking at those too. Problem with the elements of kel no reem, is that "kel" can refer to so many conflicting things... "no" and "reem" may be somewhat useful, and yes, I was thinking "sanctuary" as well.... something like "healing sanctuary" might work, but then I need to decide whether "kal" or "mah" is the operative portion to use...

I'm leaning toward inventing a term "ta'el" to mean specifically "heal" or "healing" and then using "mah" as the putative term for "sanctuary"... we'll assume then that "kal mah" in the way Apophis used it meant "safe sanctuary" or "haven". That leaves "mah" free to serve as "sanctuary" in other compound words.

This gives me two terms I need:

ta'el mah - "healing sanctuary"; sarcophagus

ta'el kesh - "healing device" -
    Spoiler:
    remember I didn't have Cadogan actually give Frank the word for the device he used to heal Ris' and Frank's injuries after the battle with the Jaffa?
    Now I have a word for it. I know that the ribbon device used as both a weapon and a personal shield generator by the Goa'uld is called a "kara kesh" and that the Tok'ra also use them (Jacob/Selmak had one and used it in Season 3's "Seth"), so I've decided that "kesh" = "device" and that "kara" = "many", indicating that the kara kesh is a multipurpose device. So a ta'el kesh, then, is a healing device.

Yay, exolinguistics for the win.
    Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 22 April 2011, 11:07 AM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I haven't read that part yet!
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Chapter Nine, and it's no big deal. You asked where the action was. That's where some of it is.

I think maybe later today or tonight, I'll go back and edit that in.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

If I may bring up a different (and also disturbing) subject, how often is a spontaneous abortion dangerous to the mother when she's into the second trimester?
          Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
            If I may bring up a different (and also disturbing) subject, how often is a spontaneous abortion dangerous to the mother when she's into the second trimester?
            Not a medical professional of any sort or female for that matter.

My guess is that it would depend on any complications that the mother is experiencing during the pregnancy. In women with Pre-eclampsia (which is pregnancy induced high blood-pressure), if the mother has a spontaneous abortion or miscarriage the stress on the mother could trigger any of the events linked to high blood pressure like stroke, heart attack, cerebral hemorrhage.

Or in the course of the miscarriage the uterus could not clot the severed blood vessels and the mother could die from blood loss.

That's just two examples off the top of my head.
            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
              I know that the ribbon device used as both a weapon and a personal shield generator by the Goa'uld is called a "kara kesh" and that the Tok'ra also use them (Jacob/Selmak had one and used it in Season 3's "Seth"), so I've decided that "kesh" = "device" and that "kara" = "many", indicating that the kara kesh is a multipurpose device. So a ta'el kesh, then, is a healing device.

Well, an al'kesh is basically a goa'uld troop carrier, so I'm thinking "kesh" may actually mean something more akin to "vessel" or "container". I'd love to see a list of the goa'uld and english words so I can figure out more. I can practice for my DLAB with that kind of game.
              Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
              Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Chapter Nine, and it's no big deal. You asked where the action was. That's where some of it is.

I think maybe later today or tonight, I'll go back and edit that in.
                Just to let you know, I'd rather not know what's going to happen. I'm sorry if you misunderstood my question about action - it was meant to be rhetorical.

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
                Well, an al'kesh is basically a goa'uld troop carrier, so I'm thinking "kesh" may actually mean something more akin to "vessel" or "container". I'd love to see a list of the goa'uld and english words so I can figure out more. I can practice for my DLAB with that kind of game.
                There are several: Here's one: http://www.angelfire.com/space2/4eva...ck/goauld.html
                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                  ZOMG!!! *Bounces happily* I should have know at least one had been compiled. *runs off like a kid in a candy store*

ETA: I've found some errors in that one already, so please use that particular list with caution. *runs back out in search of more*
                  Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                  Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
                    Well, the Goa'uld-English dictionaries that I've seen all seem to indicate that many words or syllables in Goa'uld have multiple meanings depending on context and combination. We have homonyms in English; why might Goa'uld not have them as well? So "kesh" can mean both "device" and "vessel". In fact, a vessel is a device for carrying people or things...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                      Just to let you know, I'd rather not know what's going to happen. I'm sorry if you misunderstood my question about action - it was meant to be rhetorical.
                      Oh, no, I figured it was rhetorical; I was just being funny. And to tell the truth, I'd forgotten that you hadn't read that far yet. Mea culpa. On the other hand, at least now you know there will be action, and I'll spoilertag anything else.

Yes, there are quite a few.

Here's the one on the Stargate Solutions Wiki: Goa'uld-English Dictionary

Here's the one on Rdanderson.com: Goa'uld Dictionary

Oh, and this one's good too, on the Tok'ra Resistance website: Goa'uld Language Dictionary

Or this one's interesting, from an RPG: Five Pillars
                      Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 22 April 2011, 02:26 PM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Ok, several of those links list a harsesis as "the child of two goa'uld" but that is not correct. A harsesis is the child of two goa'uld hosts. It's the attention to detail that tells me how careful these have been recorded - this makes me have my doubts.

I also wonder if some of the Unas or Ancient languages have accidentally been added in... that's just my normal paranoia, though.

So "kesh" can mean both "device" and "vessel". In fact, a vessel is a device for carrying people or things...
                        Touché!
                        Last edited by Feast of the Muse; 22 April 2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I was looking at those too. Problem with the elements of kel no reem, is that "kel" can refer to so many conflicting things... "no" and "reem" may be somewhat useful, and yes, I was thinking "sanctuary" as well.... something like "healing sanctuary" might work, but then I need to decide whether "kal" or "mah" is the operative portion to use...

I'm leaning toward inventing a term "ta'el" to mean specifically "heal" or "healing" and then using "mah" as the putative term for "sanctuary"... we'll assume then that "kal mah" in the way Apophis used it meant "safe sanctuary" or "haven". That leaves "mah" free to serve as "sanctuary" in other compound words.

This gives me two terms I need:

ta'el mah - "healing sanctuary"; sarcophagus

ta'el kesh - "healing device" -
                          Spoiler:
                          remember I didn't have Cadogan actually give Frank the word for the device he used to heal Ris' and Frank's injuries after the battle with the Jaffa?
                          Now I have a word for it. I know that the ribbon device used as both a weapon and a personal shield generator by the Goa'uld is called a "kara kesh" and that the Tok'ra also use them (Jacob/Selmak had one and used it in Season 3's "Seth"), so I've decided that "kesh" = "device" and that "kara" = "many", indicating that the kara kesh is a multipurpose device. So a ta'el kesh, then, is a healing device.

I'm not sure if i see them using 'healing' as the name simply because the need for healing = sick = weak

might be nitpicky

i think teal'c called it 'goauld chamber' in hathor
                          TEAL'C: I have seen the Goa'uld chamber do many miracles.
                          Teal'c calls it a sarcophagus in The Tomb

so maybe a version of the egyptian word for a sarcophagus
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            I'm not sure if i see them using 'healing' as the name simply because the need for healing = sick = weak

might be nitpicky
                            See, now my first thought when I see "heal" isn't "sick", it's "injured". The sarcophagus heals injured hosts, so I could see that being an acceptable term for it.

i think teal'c called it 'goauld chamber' in hathor
                            I need a name in their actual language.

Teal'c calls it a sarcophagus in The Tomb

so maybe a version of the egyptian word for a sarcophagus
                            He calls it that then because he's using the Tau'ri word for it though, I think, no? And I have never, ever been able to find an Egyptian word for sarcophagus. You'd think that would be easy to find online, but no. Of course, the word "sarcophagus" is from Greek, and means "flesh-eating", so any word based on that meaning won't work.

The only thing I'm likely to do with the word is have some of my Tok'ra characters make references to sarcophagi, but the reason for having them use the Goa'uld/Tok'ra word for it rather than simply letting them say "sarcophagus" is because I'm going to introduce the term in such a way that my protagonist has to take a moment to figure out exactly what they're referring to, since he's never actually encountered a Goa'uld sarcophagus, and will only have heard of one tangentially, at most, prior to this conversation. Hmmm... I suppose I could have the Tok'ra use a different word for it, something that refers to their belief that it destroys souls...

ETA: Hmmmm... a search string I hadn't tried yet just gave me this, which contains this passage:
                            The Egyptian interpretation of the word was the 'possessor of life'
                            so perhaps something based on that would work, since it seems fairly consistent with what I would expect the Goa'uld view to be.

So now I guess I just need to either find or invent the proper words... but now I can at least have my Tok'ra explain the meaning of the Goa'uld word for it, and also their own contrasting word if I have them use one.

ETA, again: Got it! "Neb ankh" appears to be the Egyptian for "possessor of life". (Now, why couldn't I find any of that on the last six searches???) So that's the Goa'uld term taken care of then, I guess. I need to figure out whether the Tok'ra might call it something else, related to their avoidance and probable negative view of it.
                            Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 23 April 2011, 12:03 AM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

The only thing I'm likely to do with the word is have some of my Tok'ra characters make references to sarcophagi, but the reason for having them use the Goa'uld/Tok'ra word for it rather than simply letting them say "sarcophagus" is because I'm going to introduce the term in such a way that my protagonist has to take a moment to figure out exactly what they're referring to, since he's never actually encountered a Goa'uld sarcophagus, and will only have heard of one tangentially, at most, prior to this conversation. Hmmm... I suppose I could have the Tok'ra use a different word for it, something that refers to their belief that it destroys souls...
                              I know I haven't been really in this thread (stupid RL!), but I love playing with language and will have to look at the sites later. Is there some word/word combo that means "eater of souls" or "devourer of souls" or something along those lines, perhaps?
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                                I know I haven't been really in this thread (stupid RL!), but I love playing with language and will have to look at the sites later. Is there some word/word combo that means "eater of souls" or "devourer of souls" or something along those lines, perhaps?
                                That's what I'm going to try to find out.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X