Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
    2. Gwen, you're dealing with a guy who is clearly familiar with alien/advanced tech, certainly acts like "21st century Earth" isn't home and the only previous reference you've been able to find for him is from 1941 when he clearly isn't that old! Why can't you work out that he's a time traveller?
    And, despite the fact that she herself has mentioned on several occasions that the only Capt. Jack Harkness on record disappeared in 1941 AND that Jack wears "period military" wear, it hasn't occured to her to connect the two and realise that, yes, he dresses in the kind of clothes commonly worn in......1941!!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
      ...so he had just enough residual energy left to grow a brand new hand! With which he proceed to whup said Sycorax's ass!
      Cause his new hand was a FIGHTIN' HAND!

Stars with gates are cool...
      "Somewhere, somebody's blog just blew up."

Comment

Has it occured to anyone else.... how truely wrong the "make me attractive" spray is.

Maybe this is me having no sense of fun...

But I call that rape. If they have sex I mean. Basically, how is that any different from date rape pills? The guy was altering the woman's perception using a mind altering drug in order to have sex with her. By standard definitions, that is rape. Does anyone else see that?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes. I thought the same thing. And it also reminded me of that ep of Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            Has it occured to anyone else.... how truely wrong the "make me attractive" spray is.

But I call that rape. If they have sex I mean. Basically, how is that any different from date rape pills? The guy was altering the woman's perception using a mind altering drug in order to have sex with her. By standard definitions, that is rape. Does anyone else see that?
            Hear hear FOB, I agree with everything you say, it's no better than taking advantage of a drunk woman and saying "She was asking for it"

Comment

I do have a few questions about the first ep-

Is Cardiff really that small that people can run everywhere? Or is it just that the Torchwood facility is conveniently central to everything?

And why would you run when you've been told you've been drugged? Doesn't that speed up the process? And why would you waste time running to get to your comp when a pen and a writable surface have to be a lot closer... and more durable?

Comment

Originally posted by Starbuck View Post
                Cause his new hand was a FIGHTIN' HAND!
                It sure was!

Yeah, that was a little disturbing. Especially the way he went out with the express intent of using that drug to get what he wanted. Alien Rophypnol...

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                And why would you run when you've been told you've been drugged? Doesn't that speed up the process? And why would you waste time running to get to your comp when a pen and a writable surface have to be a lot closer... and more durable?
                I thought maybe the whole running thing might be an attempt to stay awake? Exertion might stave off the sedative for a while? I thought she was dumb to go for the computer - I was thinking she'd be better off grabbing a camcorder and recording herself a message with the information. A) Torchwood can't log on and delete that and b) she'd be a lot more likely to beleive that the next day than to beleive an incoherent note on the computer.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                  And why would you waste time running to get to your comp when a pen and a writable surface have to be a lot closer... and more durable?
                  I wondered that, the deleting of the message on the computer stood out a mile.

Comment

Details, you say? Okay? In The Christmas Invasion (the first full ep starring David Tennant), the Doctor has a swordfight with the leader of the Sycorax (big ugly aliens) on top of the alien ship hovering above London. The Sycorax nearly wins when he knocks the Doctor down and chops off his sword hand! Sword and hand fall over the edge of the ship and disappear from view (I'd hate to have been the unlucky person that the sword landed on! )

Luckily for the doctor - and unluckily for the Sycorax - he was still within the first 24 (or was it 48?) hours of his regeneration cycle so he had just enough residual energy left to grow a brand new hand! With which he proceed to whup said Sycorax's ass!
                    Oh dear God - of course he did! Thanks for clearing that up. I remember now. But...how do we know the severed hand Jack has is that hand then? (Although I suppose you could make an educated guess given that it's probably improbable that Jack could come across two severed hands just lying around) How did Jack get...erm...hold of it? That was the main reason I couldn't place this event. I was trying to think of a Dr. Who ep with Jack in it where the Doctor lost his hand. Well, also, sword fights just bore me, so I ff through that bit when I watched it. Which only tends to prove the theory that you should never ff through anything on a first showing just in case you miss something important!

Albion
                    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Yes, I was aware of the moral issues with this one, too. In fact, I'm just realising that that's probably why Owen leaves me so cold and why I haven't warmed to him as a character as I have the others. He came across as pretty much a creep with this one. And leaving the 'taking advantage' and rape issues - think of the repercussions he must have caused in the lives of that couple. They probably broke up because her boyfriend thinks she was about to cheat on him. That kind of messing with people's lives - strangers' lives - is sick.

And why would you waste time running to get to your comp when a pen and a writable surface have to be a lot closer... and more durable?
                      I thought this myself when I saw she'd written remember on the pad. Why wouldn't you write it all down on the pad? Only thing I can figure is that writting it down longhand might have been slower and she knew she had little time to get it down. I've spent so many years doing all of my writing on a computer keyboard that I find writing longhand is a really laborious process these days because I'm no longer in the habit of it. I get cramp in my fingers after just a few paras. So maybe that was why Gwen chose the computer - for speed. She should have back it up onto disk though, para by para. That would have foxed them.

Just heard that four out of five reviewers on Five Live this afternoon have been saying pretty much what the majority view is here. 1/ that the adult stuff was forced and desperately gratuitious. 2/ that it's boring seeing the same Cardiff locations constantly. and 3/ That, apparently, you can only be cool in Cardiff if you're standing on top of a building. <g> That last one makes me laugh because my husband's verdict at the end of DO was "Do these people always have to stand on top of buildings when they hold a conversation?"

I was thinking she'd be better off grabbing a camcorder and recording herself a message with the information. A) Torchwood can't log on and delete that and b) she'd be a lot more likely to beleive that the next day than to beleive an incoherent note on the computer.
                      Very good point!

Albion
                      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

He probably got hold of it (The Doctor's Hand) through Torchwood 1, who were watching and so were bound to pick it up. I'm sure he simply convinced Yyvonne that he needed more than she did.
                        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Gotta say, all this "Doctor's hand" stuff makes a whole lot more sense now that I realise you're talking about the severed hand in the bubbly stuff and not the resurrection glove thingy.

Comment

Yes and I totally agree with you. It was made pretty obvious that, if sex did occur, she would most certainly not be in the right present of mind. Meaning she did not give consent (not only that, she already said no but he didn't take that as an answer). That is rape.

There's a massive debate about it going on at OG (last time I checked it racked upto 600+ posts, no outright insults so far, but it's very heated).

Anyway, please forget I just typed this, I don't want another forum plunged into a very heated debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion View Post
                              And leaving the 'taking advantage' and rape issues - think of the repercussions he must have caused in the lives of that couple. They probably broke up because her boyfriend thinks she was about to cheat on him. That kind of messing with people's lives - strangers' lives - is sick.
                              What about the boyfriend? Unless he was exhibiting homo/bisexual tendencies before, Owen forced a straight guy to have sex with him. I'm thinking that is seriously gonna mess with the guy's psyche.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                                Anyway, please forget I just typed this, I don't want another forum plunged into a very heated debate.
                                Debate is good, serious debate is better. I know RTD like to court contraversy but that was going a little too far, especially with 'The Boyfriend' so does this mean Owen swings both ways and if that's the case shouldn't there be UST between him and Capt Jack instead of Jack and Gwen. Mind you Owen looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp

Comment

Working...
                                X