Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 2
    Male bonding between D'argo and John
    If anything this ep was important to further establish the bond and bro ship between John and D'argo. It was also necessary to bring out the bit about D's true crime. Gotta love a mystery and now John has one and it will eat him up until he finds out. I think John really wants to pal around with D, but up to this point D really tries hard to keep John and everyone at a distance. This ep works to soften D up alot. I loved some of the banter John says to D. "Open up your ears or your tentacles or whatever orifice you listen with!"
    I think the attempt was there with the secret of D'Argo's crime but it falls flat because its so little used. Would have been better to flesh that out more instead of those stupid time jumps. I do like the mystery but I don't feel the bonding of John and D'Argo is genuine in this episode. Their are others down the line that do a better job of cementing their friendship. Stay tuned
    then later at the end that touching scene they have where John admits to "mocking all of us"....and that D..."is not the first male to have his head snapped off by a chick". I truly wonder if any TV series would be so brazen to say a somewhat sexist comment such as that today. But I for one liked this camaraderie that John and D were building by having this moment of good old boy talk. And then finally the ultimate in that talk came down to D admitting that "It's been so long" (since he's been with a woman) to which John resoundingly agrees. This had to spark connection with many of the male (hetero) viewers out there.
    Modern TV would probably turn it into some female equality speech. I do love the scene. Its not just sexual. You could easily give it a friendship spin. Its about lonely and how much you would give for a platonic or sexual friend
    Differences in Female Power
    So this ep there was no doubt they focused on the Female power of seduction and again like I said earlier it was a bit too trite and obvious the way in which they played it out. I do like the contrast it set up for Aeryn though. Talk about a fish out of water here. I think Aeryn sat up and took note here. She has had little to no experience in this area that came out when the two women were sparring. I loved how Aeryn's answer was to just use her typical no nonsense response and punch Matala out, but then when Matala realized she couldn't beat Aeryn on a physical level she had to use the Neural Strike. It wasn't clear if this killed Aeryn or just how this neural strike works. I half worried or wasn't clear if that was the future I was seeing and she had killed Aeryn, but then became clear later when Aeryn came around to explain that because of the neural strike it proved that Matala was a Scorvian. I enjoyed seeing how the two women (in contrast to the men here) worked through their problems. Aeryn more on the physical and Matala more on the mental. I think like D'argo growing in becoming more soft....this also softened Aeryn not physically but mentally. I think at the end of the day she came to see the value in that secret weapon of seduction. Not that she would use it anytime soon, but it was truly an eye opening experience for her.
    Call me clueless (I'm sure you will) but I really don't see that much seduction. More of using D'Argo's loneliness against him. I'm at a loss which you mean of how Aeryn and Matala worked out their problems. Maybe I was falling asleep like FH. It was a boring episode

Some bonding with Zhaan and Aeryn too! Some great lines from them:

Aeryn: about Crichton "What's the matter with him?"
    Zhaan: "He is Crichton"

Zhaan: "He's experiencing bits of the future"
    Aeryn: "The future? He can barely function in the present"
    Notice that is more taken out of John's experience. More jabs of his alien prescience

I also loved Zhaan's attempt to deter Matala from trying to figure out Crichton as he is far too complex and she would never be able to do it within the short time frame they were going to be there. This was a nice juxtaposition between Zhaan's reserved quiet observant ways in which she approaches getting to know individuals. Where as Matala and Aeryn just move in for the kill and tear down the walls to get at them. Again both in their own ways (Matala mentally/sexually tempting) and (Aeryn physically/tussling and fighting).
    Didn't think about that. We have seen Zhaan can be violent. But she was always the scientist on the group. I see the reasoning that she would observe and take notes before rushing in.
    So at the end of the day this ep was all about juxtaposition and stark contrasts between male/female strengths/weaknesses and differences in physical/mental powers. I thought all in all it was pretty good but only to serve to move along character development of our beloved characters.
    [/QUOTE]
    I don't see the gender analysis you have for this episode. Really the only gender part was D'Argo falling for Matala which was a small aspect of the story.
    Originally posted by Bluemeany View Post
    That's interesting because in Greek mythology, Matala is the name of the island Europa wakes up on after Zeus has either a.) seduced her or b.) violently abducted her.
    Wouldn't surprise me as writers get inspiration from ancient literature all the time
    The stories and language treat the two concepts the same though so there’s academic debate on which power – attraction or brute force - he uses to ‘win’ her over.

Of course, this being the ancient Greeks, Zeus is also disguised as a bull the whole time. Farscape weirdness never reaches the same kind of levels.
    I don't know. What I remember from Greek mythology class is that Zeus did a lot of crazy and weird things
    Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
    Interesting indeed....and well I think the Farscape weirdness gets worse
    Their is a lot of vomit later on
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Thank God It's Friday Again

Ok I'm posting this before I respond to jel's response to my other reviews because I just have to get this down before I forget or get back onto the last ep. Yeah yeah yeah I have a one track mind sometimes

Ok so....let me just say....Poor D'argo he is 0 for 2. At least this time he did get some. You know....looking back on these earlier eps it's amazing that you realize just how lost he is without a certain someone...who will remain nameless because I don't want to do the whole spoiler tag thing right now cuz I'm lazy. Anyway...it's crazy that they had another D'argo succumbs to the wiles of another ep. For me seeing these eps virtually back to back seemed a little too much the same. But this time Zhaan was also pulled in. And what is it with the Stargate parallels now they are using symbiotes. LOL

Either way I actually managed to enjoy this ep for similar reasons as jel described above that Aeryn was once again forced out of her comfort zone. She even admitted to John in the end that "it was nice to figure something out with her head for a change". I think that was monumental for Aeryn actually. To put her rifle aside and actually work out a problem. I don't see why jel goes on and on about these eps being all about Crichton when in fact the character growth we see in these back to back eps is really more about D'argo and Aeryn. Crichton is the means to the end for these characters finding out how to do things a different way and in so doing they achieve and grow. Crichton is just running around being Crichton but the real interesting stuff is happening to the crew around him. But I see where jel may think that alot of the focus is on John (action wise) so it does tend to get old but they use John so many times as the catalyst to help the crew change.

But... I was kinda bummed that Aeryn was so ready to just leave D'argo on the planet. I mean granted they can't make him go with them, but still I thought that was a bit shallow of her to give up on him so easily.
      But here are my favorite bits:

The scene with Zhaan and John trying to share the mattress. Hilarious I don't even have to say anything more to that

The make up in this show just continues to amaze me. The colors, lighting all that is just what continues to make this show such a work of art. The lady in white (I didn't even catch her name??) but she reminded me of Matala in the way she spoke which sort of bugged me but her look was so interestingly sick that I just had to comment on it.

Finally, like jel the peeing thing with Rygel was hilarious...maybe a bit childishly prankish but I thought it was funny.

I liked that they brought the Peacekeepers back into it. We were almost forgetting about them and just how awful they can be so it was about time they got back around to addressing them. So that was necessary in order to keep the level of distrust and disgust we have to have for them.

All in all I really had forgotten this ep too...not too many of these early eps of the series made that much of an impression on me....gee it's amazing I kept watching the show...I guess it was akin to seeing road kill up ahead and then just not able to look away once you pass it. Nah....it's a wonderful show and I just loved the characters. It's the characters that continue to bring me back over and over again.
      Originally posted by jelgate
      This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

@jel's comment on being clueless Yes I'm calling you on that. The ep was about using that secret power that women have to seduce for a purpose it's been used since the beginning of time. It can be as much a weapon as Aeryn's rifle and I think that was a real eye opener for Aeryn.

But I am glad you brought up the convo with D and John at the end that it could've been more than just a sexual relationship with a woman D and John were missing. I think that was what they were immediately talking about but if you look further it could also just be about missing companionship in any form. I mean they are social creatures and social creatures crave connection and I think that is what is at the core of what they are talking about. And because their team is still so new they are still working out all those social connections and I'm sure they have been on the lonely side trying to cope with isolation from their own species and from their own homelands.

Comment

Thank God It's Friday... Again

Cause tomorrow is a rest day... didn't see much resting though.

I wouldn't mind going to work high as a kite. I might like it better that way, without a care in the world. No stress.

Good thing D'Argo was subdued out of his hyper rage. Crichton was surely a dead man if he hadn't started acting like an oversized hippie.

Rygel's digestive system really is marvelous. First he farts helium, and no they have him pee explosive stuff. Although sweating explosively wasn't exactly healthy perhaps.
          Rygel frozen though... *snort* ...and Aeryn broke his moustache. Pilot telling her that it was perhaps best not to touch any of his other extremities.

I love the interaction between Pilot and Aeryn when she's doing the science, albeit reluctantly. But look how proud she is when she realizes she did it. That's my girl!

Crichton trying to look high on the food failed, and I though he wasn't convincing, but the red-eyed alien bought it so no complaints...

Tomorrow is a rest day and then we rebel against the Peacekeepers! Party-time!
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Sorry I'm late to replying to everyone's comments. I've been busy in RL
            Thank God It's Friday Again

Ok I'm posting this before I respond to jel's response to my other reviews because I just have to get this down before I forget or get back onto the last ep. Yeah yeah yeah I have a one track mind sometimes
            Well you need to exercise your mind. Its a muscle too. Since teachers just read from the answer book, you aren't exercising your mind so you forget
            Ok so....let me just say....Poor D'argo he is 0 for 2. At least this time he did get some. You know....looking back on these earlier eps it's amazing that you realize just how lost he is without a certain someone...who will remain nameless because I don't want to do the whole spoiler tag thing right now cuz I'm lazy. Anyway...it's crazy that they had another D'argo succumbs to the wiles of another ep. For me seeing these eps virtually back to back seemed a little too much the same. But this time Zhaan was also pulled in. And what is it with the Stargate parallels now they are using symbiotes. LOL
            I think the Zhaan scene at end speaks about D'Argo. He wants what most people want. To love someone and be loved by someone. Speaking from a real world perspective, we all desire to have some form companionship. It doesn't just have to be romantic though
            Either way I actually managed to enjoy this ep for similar reasons as jel described above that Aeryn was once again forced out of her comfort zone. She even admitted to John in the end that "it was nice to figure something out with her head for a change". I think that was monumental for Aeryn actually. To put her rifle aside and actually work out a problem. I don't see why jel goes on and on about these eps being all about Crichton when in fact the character growth we see in these back to back eps is really more about D'argo and Aeryn. Crichton is the means to the end for these characters finding out how to do things a different way and in so doing they achieve and grow. Crichton is just running around being Crichton but the real interesting stuff is happening to the crew around him. But I see where jel may think that alot of the focus is on John (action wise) so it does tend to get old but they use John so many times as the catalyst to help the crew change.
            My criticism is Crichton was front and center. He is always front and center. Yes Aeryn was a part and like you I loved the part of her learning something new. Outside comfort zones is probably the pillar of Aeryn's comfort zone. It was Crichton who found out about the root and why the aliens were growing it. A lot of times even though all the characters get development but John is the focus. I think it would have been more fun to see Zhaan and John then just shoving the blue plant aside.
            But... I was kinda bummed that Aeryn was so ready to just leave D'argo on the planet. I mean granted they can't make him go with them, but still I thought that was a bit shallow of her to give up on him so easily.
            I think at the point in the story is understandable. At the time we didn't know D'Argo was being drugged
            But here are my favorite bits:

The scene with Zhaan and John trying to share the mattress. Hilarious I don't even have to say anything more to that
            I think you can make an argument on how tries to contrast humans and Delvans. John is uncomfortable sleeping on a bed while Zhaan shrugs it off. Reminds on the last week episode where she stripped for the Tavleks.
            The make up in this show just continues to amaze me. The colors, lighting all that is just what continues to make this show such a work of art. The lady in white (I didn't even catch her name??) but she reminded me of Matala in the way she spoke which sort of bugged me but her look was so interestingly sick that I just had to comment on it.
            She reminds me of the eye lady that was in that three parter at the end of S2. The name escapes me
            Finally, like jel the peeing thing with Rygel was hilarious...maybe a bit childishly prankish but I thought it was funny.
            But isn't that Farscape? They make weird jokes all the time.
            I liked that they brought the Peacekeepers back into it. We were almost forgetting about them and just how awful they can be so it was about time they got back around to addressing them. So that was necessary in order to keep the level of distrust and disgust we have to have for them.
            I thought it was obvious. But unlike a lot a people predictability doesn't bother me. Its the journey not the destination that matter
            All in all I really had forgotten this ep too...not too many of these early eps of the series made that much of an impression on me....gee it's amazing I kept watching the show...I guess it was akin to seeing road kill up ahead and then just not able to look away once you pass it. Nah....it's a wonderful show and I just loved the characters. It's the characters that continue to bring me back over and over again.
            [/QUOTE]I'll be honest I almost gave up the first time you told to me watch this show. Its only your promise of getting better that I stayed. These first season episodes are just typical scifi stories. But I thought the start of Stargate was boring
            @jel's comment on being clueless Yes I'm calling you on that. The ep was about using that secret power that women have to seduce for a purpose it's been used since the beginning of time. It can be as much a weapon as Aeryn's rifle and I think that was a real eye opener for Aeryn.
            Don't see the them of this having to do anything with female power. Sorry. I could agree with you on D'Argo's loneliness
            But I am glad you brought up the convo with D and John at the end that it could've been more than just a sexual relationship with a woman D and John were missing. I think that was what they were immediately talking about but if you look further it could also just be about missing companionship in any form. I mean they are social creatures and social creatures crave connection and I think that is what is at the core of what they are talking about. And because their team is still so new they are still working out all those social connections and I'm sure they have been on the lonely side trying to cope with isolation from their own species and from their own homelands.
            Contrary to popular belief men aren't more obsessed with sex then women That's a pretty shallow thought for anyone. Being with a woman I take is just someone to love and be loved by someone. I think that is what we are suppose to see. They want to not be alone. Especially D'Argo who has been locked up for 8 years
            Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Thank God It's Friday... Again

Cause tomorrow is a rest day... didn't see much resting though.
            Kind of reminds me of those migrant farms of the old days
            I wouldn't mind going to work high as a kite. I might like it better that way, without a care in the world. No stress.
            You mean you don't? I do it everyday. Don't tell my supervisor.
            Good thing D'Argo was subdued out of his hyper rage. Crichton was surely a dead man if he hadn't started acting like an oversized hippie.
            I think John would be okay. Remember what Aeryn said. He is very good at hiding
            Rygel's digestive system really is marvelous. First he farts helium, and no they have him pee explosive stuff. Although sweating explosively wasn't exactly healthy perhaps.
            I think the interesting part is that the show did a good job of trying to make these aliens unique. Because of the technology at the time their is only so much of making the aliens look different so they make them act different
            Rygel frozen though... *snort* ...and Aeryn broke his moustache. Pilot telling her that it was perhaps best not to touch any of his other extremities.
            You dirty mind you I would be tempted to not unfreeze Rygel. Might make things easier. Especially in the early seasons.
            I love the interaction between Pilot and Aeryn when she's doing the science, albeit reluctantly. But look how proud she is when she realizes she did it. That's my girl!
            As SQ and myself have said, I think it begins a path for Aeryn to go somewhere outside of fighting. She is always a warrior (like D'Argo) but she can be more. Take the current military. Most soldiers are more than just someone to fire a gun.
            Crichton trying to look high on the food failed, and I though he wasn't convincing, but the red-eyed alien bought it so no complaints...
            Does Crichton's acting ever look convincing? I can't think of one time in the 4 seasons.
            Tomorrow is a rest day and then we rebel against the Peacekeepers! Party-time!
            I interpret that scene as nothing has changed and everyone is going to still grow the space pot.
            Jelgate is right

Comment

@jel on these bits:
              1. Glad you hung in there and continued watching on my promise that it gets better cuz it does! So if any of you fence sitters out there are watching this for the first time and are considering bailing....Don't! Hang in there....(although my son didn't listen he wouldn't even give it 3 eps) But I tell you give it the full season. By the end when you meet a special character *cough* Scorpy *cough* if you don't love the show by then....then maybe it's not the show for you.
              2. I thought we agreed on the companionship issue. I don't think men are more obsessed with sex over women. I think there are obviously different needs and I think men may crave the physical intercourse more and women crave more the outercourse more (kissing and cuddling). I think that is a natural birth control if you will. But again that is sort of my own theory and of course you will probably discount that and call me stupid and inferior. So meh

3. Why do you not like Ben Browder's acting?? I will admit it was a little weak in the beginning but I honestly think he's amazing. I think he can really emote with his eyes and there is a scene coming up soon
              Spoiler:
              I think when he finally faces off with Crais...
              and I don't want to spoil anyone here but it's an amazing scene and I think that scene really highlights Browder's acting abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                You dirty mind you
                I never went there... Okay, perhaps there was a fleeting moment... But Pilot started it.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I interpret that scene as nothing has changed and everyone is going to still grow the space pot.
                Meh -- they're addicted to the stuff. It makes them happy while they work.

3. Why do you not like Ben Browder's acting??
                For the record, I was referring to Crichton's acting, not Ben's. I think Ben is brilliant.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I never went there... Okay, perhaps there was a fleeting moment... But Pilot started it.

For the record, I was referring to Crichton's acting, not Ben's. I think Ben is brilliant.
                  ah Ok I get it now....sometimes it does take me a while. So it was the character's acting that was poor LOL *mind warp* Not the actual actor's bad acting of the character's bad acting ability

Comment

@jel on these bits:
                    1. Glad you hung in there and continued watching on my promise that it gets better cuz it does! So if any of you fence sitters out there are watching this for the first time and are considering bailing....Don't! Hang in there....(although my son didn't listen he wouldn't even give it 3 eps) But I tell you give it the full season. By the end when you meet a special character *cough* Scorpy *cough* if you don't love the show by then....then maybe it's not the show for you.
                    I thought it hit its stride actually before Scorpy. I loved the addition of Chiana and the stories start to gel more. Scorpy adds more of a serialized
                    2. I thought we agreed on the companionship issue. I don't think men are more obsessed with sex over women. I think there are obviously different needs and I think men may crave the physical intercourse more and women crave more the outercourse more (kissing and cuddling). I think that is a natural birth control if you will. But again that is sort of my own theory and of course you will probably discount that and call me stupid and inferior. So meh
                    That wasn't addressed at you personally. I hate stereptypes and generalizations. Bear in mind seriousness vs my jokeative nature
                    3. Why do you not like Ben Browder's acting?? I will admit it was a little weak in the beginning but I honestly think he's amazing. I think he can really emote with his eyes and there is a scene coming up soon
                    Spoiler:
                    I think when he finally faces off with Crais...
                    and I don't want to spoil anyone here but it's an amazing scene and I think that scene really highlights Browder's acting abilities.
                    John Cricheton's acting not Ben Browder. I loved when Browder channels his inner Scorpious.

You forget who you are talking too. We have known each other for 9 years. I know how dirty you can be.

Anna Glavin

Then its settled. I'm going to drink alcohol before I go to work tomorrow.. I'm going to tell my supervisor it makes me happy.

[/QUOTE]
                    What the Heightmeyer lemming said:O

ah Ok I get it now....sometimes it does take me a while. So it was the character's acting that was poor LOL *mind warp* Not the actual actor's bad acting of the character's bad acting ability
                    Yes. When John tries to masquerade as a Peacekeeper he is terrible at it.
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

@jel - I love the addition of Chiana too....she really adds a wonderful dimension to the series -
                      Spoiler:
                      and a much needed companion for D.

Comment

PK Tech Girl

I was going to rant on about how we never found out really attacked this Peacekeeper ship. We know its not the Sheyang since they are scavengers and only attacked unarmed and weak opponents. But then I remembered that question is answered in a future episode. I think this is the start of more arc storytelling that made Farscape great. Stay tuned newbies. This episode has many "little" stories going on for all the characters with the exception of Zhaan and Pilot (My favorites). They all converge on the Peacekeeper ship but everyone gets something. I can't criticize that John was the center this time. That is why I liked this episode. A lot of people got something. Lets start with the elephant in the room. You win this time SQ. I will give in this episode their was a John/Aeryn shippness in the episode. This was mostly on Aeryn's side When John has an attraction to Gilinia you can see their is hint of jealousy in her eyes. This was the first time I ever saw anything between John and Aeryn. Moving away from shipping (Because I don't care about these things) this episode was an eyeopener for Aeryn. Gilina is used as a plot device to discover what Aeryn has lost since she has been irreversibly contaminated. I think its a point to show just how much she has changed. And also how much she has not. Look how Aeryn still defends the atrocities of the Peacekeepers. At the same time we see Aeryn hurt about what her actions have done to her previous unit. The overall conclusion is that Aeryn has grown but she still has lot to go. Now I usually don't care for Rygel. His greed and selfishness annoy me. However, I loved his personal demons in this episode. He is one who usually gives in to fear so I loved seeing how he confronted Dukura and rubbed it into his face. The flashback hallucinations were nice as they give us an insight on the torture Rygel went through. You may have notice I really have not mentioned the plot. That is because really the plot is kind of weak. The Moya crew has to fix the defense screen while the Sheyang could attack us. Its highly technobabble because an energy shield is kind of beyond human technology at the moment. So really the plot is nothing more to serve too many character arcs. One of them I have already discussed. The first one is to serve as a character attraction between John and Gilina. The two characters are similar in mind. So giving them a common task allows them to bond and be attracted to one another. The other point of the plot is to give D'Argo something to do. What I liked about D'Argo's story is that it shows he is more than an angry warrior. That will always be a part of him but as we see in later episodes he is more than just a warrior so I like the part of this episode that shows us that the start of his other attributes. Despite it having a weak plot this is probably one of my favorite pre-Scorpy episodes.
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

PK TECH GIRL

I will have to agree completely with what jel said up there ^ What is the world coming too??

Actually in the end John sums up this entire episode with his "Good, Bad and Ugly" movie reference. This ep was all about once again character arcs and everyone having some growth in one of these areas (Good, Bad and Ugly).....for the sake of me not just repeating what jel said above and mixing things up a bit let's start with....dun dun dun....

The UGLY - Facing Personal Demons
                          As jel mentioned the plot was a bit weak, but really served to give our characters time to address some of their own personal demons they've been struggling with.

Rygel - he made it the most obvious in the way in which he had to confront his fear of his previous capture and torture. I loved how this ep started out zoomed in on Rygel's eye (goes to show you just how amazing the art and crafting involved with these puppets...that they are that confident in their craftsmanship to get that close...another reason I love this show...is how real they have made these puppets which serves to draw you into that world of believe-ability). It was Rygel who first recognized this ship as well and you just had to feel his pain and discomfort as he was undoubtedly terrified at what he may encounter there.
                          I do love how Zhaan helped Rygel to summon up the courage to find the corpse allowing him to move on. I did have a moment where I wasn't sure how Rygel was on the Zelbinion one moment looking around and then back hiding on Moya shaking and scared. I thought maybe he was having hallucinations about the Zelbinion but then I realized that Moya was actually coupled with the Zelbinion allowing them to walk to and from ship to ship...so Rygel would go investigate the Z a little then come back and speak with Zhaan. That was a tad confusing for me...but give me a break I have a squirrel brain.

Aeryn - Facing her fears and her "irreversible contamination" consequences were another great beat in this ep. Catching John and Giliana kissing put things front and center for her. I did like the jealousy aspect of this and how John could see it and chased her down just to "check in" to "clear the air". I loved how Aeryn worked hard to suppress her feelings and not deal with the pain it was causing her. This was another great character moment for her because she really wants to grow and be better but she continues to fall back to her old ways as the warrior. Although at the end when she was having the very selfless and touching moment with Giliana I was proud at how dignified and diplomatic she was being and decided to return her smile and shake hands with this rival. I think it was key that Aeryn was able to help Giliana keep from being branded as "irreversibly contaminated" as she was and Aeryn was able to impart to her some good advice when being debriefed by Crais. I think that part of this ep was really soothing to her character and allowed some healing. Which in contrast if you remember the beginning of the ep, the look of anguish Aeryn had on her face when she found out from Giliana that her whole unit was banished.... that was the very ugly part of reality that Aeryn had to face regarding the consequences of her actions. It was much needed to help her realize I think there was no going back..not now....not ever. I think it was a door finally closing for her. Jel mentioned he found it odd that Aeryn continued to defend the Peacekeepers and Aeryn "wanted answers" by searching the Z....well I think she got answers, but probably not the ones she was looking for. I think by the end it was clear to Aeryn that her old life was really over and if she is going to survive and find some form of happiness she needs to learn to let go of that old life.

The Bad - Zhaan's changing Morality. I thought it was very ironic in this ep that it was D'argo who didn't want to lie to the Sheyang's about the condition of their ship's armaments. Zhaan's "little bit of bad" tickled me and I think it's really what makes Zhaan a very likeable character because she's not so sickening sweet, rational and loving all the time. She can be, as we've seen, quite the warrior and now she can tell little white lies when they prove useful. I loved this exchange between D'argo and Zhaan and how she was feeding him lines to say...helping him become more of a diplomatic ambassador type.. This play she made to scare the Sheyang's I thought was brilliant and did save their arses and bought them some time. SO in the end we could see a very proud D'argo that he was able to negotiate such a tenuous treaty with really nothing. I think it even shocked himself that he was able to pull that off.

Which brings me to the Good....Aeryn and John's Relationship...

Yes eventually you know I am going to talk about the shippiness of this ep. It should be no surprise to anyone who knows me that I am a shipper and proud of it. However, I will try not to be annoying about it. I do love this show primarily for the John and Aeryn love story, but all the characters and the over arcing story is all icing on the cake too. I think this ep, as jel mentioned, established that this is going to be more of an arc driven serialized show. I loved that after the "monster of the week" was over our characters remained changed and things were altered for them, forever. I hate when TV shows do all these things to their characters and then reset them back to the beginning like all that stuff never happened. Farscape at this point I think really established it's footing as a serialized space drama showing that these characters were on a journey and they were taking you with them. At this point I was hooked on the show!

So back to the Good. I think it was good that John and Aeryn could "Clear the air" but it was not what they said...as they verbally agreed that he meant nothing to her, I think based on her actions and the little "Hey...." conversation they had at the end was very telling about just how much they deeply cared for each other. It was interesting if you'll note the different kind of love Crichton felt for Giliana than he has for Aeryn. Many would argue that he has no love for Aeryn yet but I disagree. I think he does see Aeryn as his "ship mate", however, I think he has a deep love for Aeryn that is more than just a feeling of love which many times when you click with a person and have those hormonal attraction to them it's more of a lust driven desire and maybe not truly love at that point. Yes Giliana was willing to die with John and that can all be considered a love of sorts but many times we allow that physical attraction (lust) to draw us close to a person because we continue to seek that feel good feeling. But down deep when that all wears off sometimes that just doesn't hold you to the person for long after that feeling is lost. It's the deep connections that keep us bound to a person long term. I think John has more of those deep connections to Aeryn and with Giliana I think it was more lust filled and sort of a heat of the moment thing.

And as much as John and Giliana hated to say goodbye to one another I think they knew down deep they could never survive and some would say that if they really loved each other they would've tried it anyway. You know love conquers all ...and all that bs....well I think they weren't willing to even try that so I am not really putting my money on the solidarity of their relationship. But as jel said we may see things to come with regard to that in future eps. So stay tuned!!

So at the end of the day, this ep established it's footing and sparked that connection between Aeryn and John despite John's attraction to another woman....and gave some of the characters a chance to deal with their own personal demons, and others a chance to grow.
                          Last edited by squirrely1; 28 May 2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

PK Tech Girl

Bit late in m’ watching this week. And jelgate and Squirrely have already excellently covered a lot of the content.

Before we get to the shipping, the editing point of view:

Not so many moving shots in this episode, but great colour: yellow, red and cyan lights on close ups that work well for vidding, particularly in the scenes on the Zelbinian. CGI is passable, although not as good as other episodes.

Definitely worth editing this episode up if you are making a John/Aeryn video, despite the fact that they don’t actually physically do anything with each other. Lots of longing/ ‘what am I feeling?’ looks.

Similarly, from a *cough* purely aesthetic *cough* pov, Crichton discards the IASA ‘ I’m wearing a sheep’ jacket about half way through in favour of short sleeve white T-shirt.

Like Squirrely, the John/Aeryn love story is my favourite Farscape arc. Jelgate, you probably won’t be happy to learn that the video I’m working on from editing up the rewatch is a shipping vid…

Which brings me to the Good....Aeryn and John's Relationship... I think this ep, as jel mentioned, established that this is going to be more of an arc driven serialized show. I loved that after the "monster of the week" was over our characters remained changed and things were altered for them, forever. I hate when TV shows do all these things to their characters and then reset them back to the beginning like all that stuff never happened. Farscape at this point I think really established it's footing as a serialized space drama showing that these characters were on a journey and they were taking you with them.
                            Yep, totally agree, the show’s lack of a reset button is what make the love arc stand out. I also like the fact that their relationship and emotional maturity isn’t linear, sometimes they move backwards (just like real life!). But it is always in response to an event or an internal block they’ve come up against.

It was interesting if you'll note the different kind of love Crichton felt for Giliana than he has for Aeryn. Many would argue that he has no love for Aeryn yet but I disagree. I think he does see Aeryn as his "ship mate", however, I think he has a deep love for Aeryn that is more than just a feeling of love which many times when you click with a person and have those hormonal attraction to them it's more of a lust driven desire and maybe not truly love at that point.
                            It interesting to get different viewers angles on when they see them 'falling' for each other isn't it? I think Aeryn falls for Crichton from the very first episode. She takes a risk for a complete stranger by speaking up for him against Crais; that’s not a particularly peacekeeper-sort of thing to do. Nor is it particularly wise strategically and Aeryn is normally a smart cookie.

In this episodes there’s some dialogue that the penalty for being ‘irreversibly contaminated’ is death.I think this is the first time that it's mentioned: Crichton certainly looks surprised. He didn’t necessary clock before just how big a leap Aeryn took by trying to defend his crash as accidental. There is also a line in I think Bad Timing that could be read as
                            Spoiler:
                            if Aeryn on some level knew she loved him from the very start, something like:

John: What worries me, is that from the beginning I could never see the end.
                            Aeryn: What worries me is that I always could.

Crichton is a little harder to read as to when he starts having feelings for Aeryn. But to me, there’s a line in episode 3, when he says (of the Aeryn copy) “It was exactly like you. The way it moved. The way it felt.” There is then a definite moment. Yes, I’ll admit it subtext, but there is a beat.

And by this episode, the fact that he leaves Gilina to go ‘clear the air’… well there’s something there at least.

That said, I do like Gilina. And I think that she and early series ‘gee-whiz, isn’t the universe wondrous’ John work well as a couple. She’s good with science, doesn’t seem to want to kill anyone or screw them over (quite a novelty in the Farscape universe), is able to express emotions… in fact pretty much the opposite of Aeryn at this point.

However, I think it’s interesting
                            Spoiler:
                            that by the end of series 1, she will totally not be what darker, more world weary Crichton needs, particularly post-Scorpius. By then, he needs someone who’s harder, who’s going to keep him alive…
                            the best way to explain was for me to gif-set a paralleling of blocking I noticed in some later episodes ( see link below)

BUT WARNING: these are very spoilery for both season 1 and PK wars. Do not click if you haven’t seen the whole of Farscape yet.

http://thebluemeany.tumblr.com/post/...hip-priorities

I also enjoyed that Aeryn and Gilina’s interaction wasn't really to do with Crichton. That was refreshing. They weren’t rivals in terms of how they acted to each other. In fact they have a nice connection by the end of the episode with Aeryn giving advice, and Gilina taking hold of her hand.

Oh, and I also note that the old ‘I have something in my eye’ routine works in other galaxies too. That’s good to know.
                            Last edited by Bluemeany; 28 May 2016, 06:44 PM.

Comment

@ Bluemeany....first off YAY!! So glad to meet another shippery person about the John/Aeryn love story. We will undoubtedly drive jel crazy. *snort* I can't wait to see your shippy vid, I actually have done a lot of vidding myself, but I have never made one of John/Aeryn...so I may just do one now...as a sort of challenge. We'll see. Maybe this summer.

As far as when John/Aeryn first really started "falling for each other" I think it was pretty close from the start for both of them. John I think clung onto her because she was the closest thing to human he had found up to that point, and her being female was even better. I'm sure he was pretty much elated. However, he was dealing with trying to cope in this new world and the other team members that he really thwarted his thoughts of her in that way IMO. I think John just continued to push it to the back burner because he recognized that Aeryn wasn't ready or receptive for that matter. Unlike the pliable (and no that's not a play on words ) Giliana. Let's face it Aeryn at this point is hard to love. She pushes people away and is very hardened. Giliana is what John finds refreshing because she accepts his advances and succumbs quite easily to him. Aeryn is going to prove a much harder catch for him and I think it's that dance (that you mention) that draws me to this ship so much too because while it can be frustrating for some to watch I really feel like this is how true companionship works alot of times...you know one step forward, two back. So I like that you pointed out that
                              Spoiler:
                              John and Aeryn's relationship is not linear by any means but it's that rocky path that makes it so titillating and interesting and makes you really want them to be together at the end for that pay off they both deserve.

Love the gifs and can we use some of them with your permission?

Comment

PK TECH GIRL

I will have to agree completely with what jel said up there ^ What is the world coming too??
                                Its you finally accepting the rationalization of jelgate
                                Actually in the end John sums up this entire episode with his "Good, Bad and Ugly" movie reference. This ep was all about once again character arcs and everyone having some growth in one of these areas (Good, Bad and Ugly).....for the sake of me not just repeating what jel said above and mixing things up a bit let's start with....dun dun dun....
                                If we are going to agree on an episode, its only natural we are going to repeat ourselves. I also don't babble on as long as you
                                The UGLY - Facing Personal Demons
                                As jel mentioned the plot was a bit weak, but really served to give our characters time to address some of their own personal demons they've been struggling with.
                                Really the only one with personal demons in this episode is Rygel and Aeryn. The weak plot doesn't bother me as I know later episodes have stronger plots.
                                Rygel - he made it the most obvious in the way in which he had to confront his fear of his previous capture and torture. I loved how this ep started out zoomed in on Rygel's eye (goes to show you just how amazing the art and crafting involved with these puppets...that they are that confident in their craftsmanship to get that close...another reason I love this show...is how real they have made these puppets which serves to draw you into that world of believe-ability). It was Rygel who first recognized this ship as well and you just had to feel his pain and discomfort as he was undoubtedly terrified at what he may encounter there.
                                I thought the zoom in was better to show us camera work over. That not to downgrade the puppets just that it impressed more with filming. I thought Rygel mentioned the ship because of his pain
                                I do love how Zhaan helped Rygel to summon up the courage to find the corpse allowing him to move on. I did have a moment where I wasn't sure how Rygel was on the Zelbinion one moment looking around and then back hiding on Moya shaking and scared. I thought maybe he was having hallucinations about the Zelbinion but then I realized that Moya was actually coupled with the Zelbinion allowing them to walk to and from ship to ship...so Rygel would go investigate the Z a little then come back and speak with Zhaan. That was a tad confusing for me...but give me a break I have a squirrel brain.
                                I may be wrong but isn't this the only time Moya uses an airlock. I seemed to recall uselly using transport pods to investigate ships. The back and forth wasn't confusing for me at all. As for Zhaan, it showcases her role on Moya. To me besides being the medical expert, she was the heart of Moya
                                `
                                Aeryn - Facing her fears and her "irreversible contamination" consequences were another great beat in this ep. Catching John and Giliana kissing put things front and center for her. I did like the jealousy aspect of this and how John could see it and chased her down just to "check in" to "clear the air". I loved how Aeryn worked hard to suppress her feelings and not deal with the pain it was causing her. This was another great character moment for her because she really wants to grow and be better but she continues to fall back to her old ways as the warrior.
                                Its like I said. She has grown but still has a long way to go.
                                Although at the end when she was having the very selfless and touching moment with Giliana I was proud at how dignified and diplomatic she was being and decided to return her smile and shake hands with this rival. I think it was key that Aeryn was able to help Giliana keep from being branded as "irreversibly contaminated" as she was and Aeryn was able to impart to her some good advice when being debriefed by Crais.
                                It was really to save her own skin. If Gilina was contaminated Crais would be closer to finding Moya. I'm not calling Aeryn uncaring but lets call it what it was. She didn't want Crais to catch her.
                                I think that part of this ep was really soothing to her character and allowed some healing. Which in contrast if you remember the beginning of the ep, the look of anguish Aeryn had on her face when she found out from Giliana that her whole unit was banished.... that was the very ugly part of reality that Aeryn had to face regarding the consequences of her actions. It was much needed to help her realize I think there was no going back..not now....not ever. I think it was a door finally closing for her. Jel mentioned he found it odd that Aeryn continued to defend the Peacekeepers and Aeryn "wanted answers" by searching the Z....well I think she got answers, but probably not the ones she was looking for. I think by the end it was clear to Aeryn that her old life was really over and if she is going to survive and find some form of happiness she needs to learn to let go of that old life.
                                Not odd. It showcases how much Aeryn has to go. She is still somewhat brainwashed to the Peacekeepers propaganda. I don't think Aeryn ever believed a notion she was going back. It was just to show what has happened so far since we haven't seen Crais since the Premiere
                                The Bad - Zhaan's changing Morality. I thought it was very ironic in this ep that it was D'argo who didn't want to lie to the Sheyang's about the condition of their ship's armaments. Zhaan's "little bit of bad" tickled me and I think it's really what makes Zhaan a very likeable character because she's not so sickening sweet, rational and loving all the time. She can be, as we've seen, quite the warrior and now she can tell little white lies when they prove useful. I loved this exchange between D'argo and Zhaan and how she was feeding him lines to say...helping him become more of a diplomatic ambassador type.. This play she made to scare the Sheyang's I thought was brilliant and did save their arses and bought them some time. SO in the end we could see a very proud D'argo that he was able to negotiate such a tenuous treaty with really nothing. I think it even shocked himself that he was able to pull that off.
                                I'm confused. You did or did not like Zhaan's idea. I don't see it as a change. Peace loving Zhaan sees lying as acceptable compared to people dying.
                                Which brings me to the Good....Aeryn and John's Relationship...
                                I'll get my vomit bucket.
                                Yes eventually you know I am going to talk about the shippiness of this ep. It should be no surprise to anyone who knows me that I am a shipper and proud of it. However, I will try not to be annoying about it. I do love this show primarily for the John and Aeryn love story, but all the characters and the over arcing story is all icing on the cake too. I think this ep, as jel mentioned, established that this is going to be more of an arc driven serialized show. I loved that after the "monster of the week" was over our characters remained changed and things were altered for them, forever. I hate when TV shows do all these things to their characters and then reset them back to the beginning like all that stuff never happened. Farscape at this point I think really established it's footing as a serialized space drama showing that these characters were on a journey and they were taking you with them. At this point I was hooked on the show!
                                I'm not obsessed with shipping and proud of it. For the most part I agree but even Farscape did sometimes reset itself. No one is perfect except me of course.
                                So back to the Good. I think it was good that John and Aeryn could "Clear the air" but it was not what they said...as they verbally agreed that he meant nothing to her, I think based on her actions and the little "Hey...." conversation they had at the end was very telling about just how much they deeply cared for each other. It was interesting if you'll note the different kind of love Crichton felt for Giliana than he has for Aeryn. Many would argue that he has no love for Aeryn yet but I disagree. I think he does see Aeryn as his "ship mate", however, I think he has a deep love for Aeryn that is more than just a feeling of love which many times when you click with a person and have those hormonal attraction to them it's more of a lust driven desire and maybe not truly love at that point. Yes Giliana was willing to die with John and that can all be considered a love of sorts but many times we allow that physical attraction (lust) to draw us close to a person because we continue to seek that feel good feeling. But down deep when that all wears off sometimes that just doesn't hold you to the person for long after that feeling is lost. It's the deep connections that keep us bound to a person long term. I think John has more of those deep connections to Aeryn and with Giliana I think it was more lust filled and sort of a heat of the moment thing.
                                Well I am going to disagree with your disagree. He cares for Aeryn at this point the same he cares for the others. He doesn't love her yet because as you mentioned love takes time to develop. It was a step because Aeryn feels something but she is confused with her emotions. Something Peacekeepers discourage. As for Gilina their attraction is because they are similar persons.
                                And as much as John and Giliana hated to say goodbye to one another I think they knew down deep they could never survive and some would say that if they really loved each other they would've tried it anyway. You know love conquers all ...and all that bs....well I think they weren't willing to even try that so I am not really putting my money on the solidarity of their relationship. But as jel said we may see things to come with regard to that in future eps. So stay tuned!!
                                Love doesn't conquer all. Sometimes the reality of the world prevents love. That is what happened here. Gilina would have been a fugitive as well. That is what happened here. Lets just throw out who John really loves for a second. Is it really fair to ask them to give up their life and become outlaws? I say no.
                                So at the end of the day, this ep established it's footing and sparked that connection between Aeryn and John despite John's attraction to another woman....and gave some of the characters a chance to deal with their own personal demons, and others a chance to grow.
                                I'm scared. SQ is right

TO BE CONTINUED...
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X