Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: Origins the name of the new TV show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems very small scale...They are probably testing the waters and see what happens. Hopefully something bigger comes out of this.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

So how much am I going have to pay? It may not be worth it if Origins is all they are offering
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        So how much am I going have to pay? It may not be worth it if Origins is all they are offering
        That's the real question.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
          It seems very small scale...They are probably testing the waters and see what happens. Hopefully something bigger comes out of this.
          Of course. It wouldn't be the first time a web series was used to test the waters of popularity. Sanctuary being the most obvious example
          Jelgate is right

Comment

That's what worries me. It's Star Trek Discovery but even more iffy.
            another issue is expanding the "fanbase". I wonder what they'll do to get "fresh blood"
            into it on the audience side of things...maybe release the entire thing as a movie? Piggyback if off other media or shows? It looks like they are really going for a new approach and knowingly taking a risk and hoping it'll pay off...which isn't a bad thing. Netflix also took a risk and it paid off big time.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

At this stage to be honest, it seems to be a relatively pointless endeavor.

Comment

another issue is expanding the "fanbase". I wonder what they'll do to get "fresh blood"
                into it on the audience side of things...maybe release the entire thing as a movie? Piggyback if off other media or shows? It looks like they are really going for a new approach and knowingly taking a risk and hoping it'll pay off...which isn't a bad thing. Netflix also took a risk and it paid off big time.
                Its a lot less than what Discovery was offering so the bar to be really low for me to pay for it
                Jelgate is right

Comment

If it's region-free it might harness an audience, and if it's free to view.
                  If it's blocked for international viewers, I don't see it succeeding.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I think that's the gargantuan elephant in the room here. Stargate has always had a very dedicated core audience, but us being vocal doesn't mean we're numerous. A webseries automatically limits your audience to us niche folks, and it limits it further still if the paywall becomes a factor.

Narrowing viewership is a dangerous play if you're trying to revive a franchise.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Its a lot less than what Discovery was offering so the bar to be really low for me to pay for it
                      Star Trek also has the added bonuses of having an in-built gigantic fanbase that's been around for over 50 years, and that they're making a full-budget actual TV series.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Don't forget, region-free vs region-blocked (which can be circumvented, but if it's behind a pay-wall, that would become harder).

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          If it's blocked for international viewers, I don't see it succeeding.
                          Eep, I didn't even think of that! I hope they're not stupid enough to geo-lock (or geo-delay) it--that would doom the whole venture before it even gets off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            I think that's the gargantuan elephant in the room here. Stargate has always had a very dedicated core audience, but us being vocal doesn't mean we're numerous. A webseries automatically limits your audience to us niche folks, and it limits it further still if the paywall becomes a factor.

Narrowing viewership is a dangerous play if you're trying to revive a franchise.
                            If you recall how big of a issue I think Star Trek Discovery is facing with it's paywall issue, you can understand how much I agree with this. The difference here is that Discovery actually has a workable solution and Netflix already did this sort of thing. The only barrier to CBS is well...getting people to pay for one network's worth of shows (CBS) as opposed to one streaming service plus other networks/movie studios/channel's shows (Hulu/Netflix etc). SG Origins is um...not even a network worth of shows nor is it known the way Star Trek is.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Geo-delay?

Comment

I see no way this will expand the fan base or is designed to. MGM decided they could make money with their own Stargate subscription service. However as the only people who'd ever sign up for it already own the show on home media, they have thrown together a cheap web series to entice them to sign up.

They then came up with a concept in which they don't have to deal with any of the TV series plots or feature any of the actors from the franchise. As well as a concept that won't involve gate travel, other planets, alien races, spaceships or anything else expensive or what the franchise is known for.

Comment

Working...
                                X