No announcement yet.

MGM Open To More Stargate Depending on Success of Stargate Origins and SGC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh. I let this one slide because hey, it's more Stargate. I truly hope this was just a hype campaign. I am not spending a dime on upcoming SG if the next series is going to be an Origins v2 and as poor in both quality and content.

Even a Hunas has standards
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Stargate : Origins - Chaka sounds good.

We will see what will they announce. It is exciting that finally something happens after so many years. Probably it will be "only" an Origins announcement. I can only hope that they are listening to the feedbacks and they will give them more money. And the SG:C crisis should be also sorted asap.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        Stargate : Origins - Chaka sounds good.
        Yes! Let's have our own Hunas show with Chakas and Brownies!
        Pros: Save $$ on writers, Chaka can summarize any lines
        Cons: None? Get out of here.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

On the schedule for SDCC:

Stargate Franchise: Creative Storytelling

See the entire spectrum of Stargate franchise stories. The Stargate series, comics, books, games, and fan fiction have all contributed to the rich tapestry of the franchise, and there is more to come. Kieran Dickson will moderate a discussion with panelists Chris Judge, Darren Sumner, David Read, and more, as they share their creative process and behind-the-scenes stories.
          "Games", pff, yeah right. "Entire spectrum"; yeah, three shows, three movies and a series of novels. But no games and barely any worthwile comics; only the American Mythology comics are somewhat good, but not great.

"There is more to come", but no indication of what, when and how. Seems to me it's just another discussion of the past, some hope for the future, and idyllic dreams of something that never will be.

Comment

Hopefully you will be wrong about it, but that is also a possibility that nothing will be announced. The only reason I believe they will do something as Origins was announced last year on the SDCC, so it would be logical to do the same this year to get the biggest marketing attention. Wait a second. Have I said logical? We are talking about MGM....
            Last edited by Platschu; 09 July 2018, 03:28 PM.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

you know what would be cool, stargate origins, about the gate builders and thier psychology, warfare, rivalry, about thier inner dialogues,

fighting, politics vs science vs practical needs, familie disputes and getting along with each other as a greater society, while dealing with other races and seeding the galaxies with gates, technologies, science and exploration,

perhaps that was the original plan for stargate origins but hte budget was not available, it is called origins after all, after all everything about hte altarens and ancients has been shown to us by them, why not just set a whole show there,

i would totally watch it if they did have a good plan for thier culture and interactions and stuff they did like building science and medicine and technology etc as well as biological genetic research on planets, creating dinosaurs etc

Comment

FH: I understand your feelings. We will see what they are willing to announce to please the fans. Just someone should directly ask this All-Access related question at San Diego, so we should find an American fan who would do it in the name of the international fans.
                I dare you to pose that question on the SGC feed -- especially interested how many will actually reply to it.

Hopefully you will be wrong about it, but that is also a possibility that nothing will be announce. The only reason I believe they will do something as Origins was announced last year on the SDCC, so it would be logical to do the same this year to get the biggest marketing attention. Wait a second. Have I said logical? We are talking about MGM....
                They missed the boat on marketing last time -- they will miss it again this time, unless they fired their entire marketing department which I highly doubt. There was no marketing done on Command or Origins. Their press page has exactly one article, and I think they more or less hoped for word-of-mouth which is limited at best. It shows because people are simply not in the know that all-access is limited until you point it out (and then they downvote you for whining -- fun times). Most didn't even know Origins wasn't gonna be there in September but it had to be repeated over and over that it wasn't going to be there until 2018. Their marketing is appaling.

You should check the Top 100 downloads on iTunes to see how well their marketing has worked so far. 2-3 weeks after the release of the feature cut and it's not even showing up there any more.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I do really want to see a physical release of Origins. I'd also love them to announce more seasons - I just hope they give it a bit more cash and don't ham-fist it into continuity as much as they did Catherine. There's room for this kind of exploration!
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I doubt they'll throw more money at it than they have for Catherine. They see it works (or not, I don't know) and what better way to save on money than to continue this business model. Little to loose with little investment as possible.

I'm not interested in their future dealings if it continues to be served up on Stargate Command behind a paywall and then everyone else get spoiled -- Stargate fans are simply not Marvel fans who followed Thanos when he demanded silence. That's what I absolutely hate the most, I think, about this whole thing -- even more than the paywall -- the fact that Stargate Command, Gateworld and every all-access member spoiled the crap out of Origins.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      I doubt they'll throw more money at it than they have for Catherine. They see it works (or not, I don't know) and what better way to save on money than to continue this business model. Little to loose with little investment as possible.
                      Basically going "Well it worked and we made X amount with Y budget, why bother trying for more next time?" doesn't make much sense, TV shows, movies, games etc increase budgets with sequels all the time despite success.

Origins was supposedly a success. They now have an indication that they can put more money into it and it'll be worthwhile for them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon View Post
                        Basically going "Well it worked and we made X amount with Y budget, why bother trying for more next time?" doesn't make much sense, TV shows, movies, games etc increase budgets with sequels all the time despite success.
                        But this isn't the first in the franchise -- so different rules apply. Unless they really are going with a complete reboot.

Originally posted by TheVoidDragon View Post
                        Origins was supposedly a success. They now have an indication that they can put more money into it and it'll be worthwhile for them.
                        "Supposedly" -- that's not very confident wording.

I'm sure the view from the top is positive. The view from down below is not -- therefore I say, you'll likely get played some more. I'm sure enough fish will bite for them to keep the pace. Too bad it takes an ocean to make it work.

Comment

I'm sure enough fish will bite for them to keep the pace. Too bad it takes an ocean to make it work.
                          Never underestimate your customers intelligence, especially Sci-Fi fans. The low-budget production will not work forever, as they have heard in the highly polarised feedback.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                            Never underestimate your customers intelligence, especially Sci-Fi fans. The low-budget production will not work forever, as they have heard in the highly polarised feedback.
                            Yes, but we are rabid fans... so there's always someone going to bite. It's pretty much what they counted on when they started Stargate Command.

Comment

Yes, but we are rabid fans... so there's always someone going to bite. It's pretty much what they counted on when they started Stargate Command.
                              True, but will it work a second time?
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                                True, but will it work a second time?
                                MGM's certainly counting on it working again.

Comment

Working...
                                X