X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    Allow me to educate you!

Now, the term 'zombie flick' was no doubt brought upon by the Romero movies, Night of the Living Dead and its sequel Dawn of the Dead helping give image to the classic, and the best, kind of zombie: An actual dead corpse person, brought back to life. If anybody dies, they come back as a zombie, unable to be killed for good unless the brain is destroyed (Cutting off the head doesn't work, unfortunately). Zombie bites speed up the rate of death, which in turn leads to zombification.

Now, that's the 'classic' zombie. Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead Remake set out to take the 'classic' image and created what we dub, the 'fast' zombie. Unlike the Classic, the Fast can only be made into zombies through bites from other zombies. Normal deaths not involving destroying the brain, do not result in reanimation. But why are the Fast different than 28 Days Later's Infected? Simple. They die before reanimating. They're still corpses, but these guys run because of whatever virus that infects the blood of the Fast zombie, and they pass it on to others through bites, hence the running.

28 Days Later and its sequel, 28 Weeks Later, adhere to the class of monsters called 'Infected'. They. Are. Not. Zombies. Zombies are corpses that can only be put down by a bullet to the brain. The Infected, meanwhile, are people who were exposed to a virus through blood or saliva contact, known as Rage. Rage does just that - it makes the person infected into a mindless monster always running and hunting down folk to kill. Now, note this as well - zombies eat people. Infected, do not. Hell, the reveal at the end of 28 Days Later reveals that the Infected are starving to death. Meanwhile, in Romero's Land of the Dead, the zombie plague has been around for half a dozen years or so, and the Classics are not dying of starvation. They're already dead. They eat people, sure, but they don't need to.

People often confuse the term 'Zombie flick' for what is actually a 'Pseudo-Apocalyptic movie involving monsters resembling people chasing other people we're supposed to sympathise with'. I've heard idiots call I Am Legend a zombie flick. No. They're vampires, kids. Kinda vampires, but that's another whole mess of **** I DO NOT WANT TO GO INTO RIGHT NOW. Feckin' Twilight... Anyways, if somebody sees 28 Days Later and sees a pseudo-Apocalyptic world with monsters chasing humans, they cannot be forgiven for thinking "Zombie!" They are idiots, who can't even tell that the Infected are not corpses, and can die as easily as normal human. For lack of a better oversimplification, the Infected in 28 Days Later are just people on a particularly nasty strain of some drug, and transmit through blood and stuff. Zombies are corpses.

Zombies are better.

Consider yourself schooled, bud.
    Another excellent long post, brought to you by Mattsilver 3k, long post expert!
    Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 26 August 2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

To that I say... Yes.

(What? I'm tired. )

Actually, I've posted that same little argument like six times already in different threads and with different lengths and colourful words. I think we need a "Zombie Consolidation Thread: Matt Silver's Law" thread or something.
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Anyone have an idea of when and what time the show will be on?
        sigpic

Comment

Allow me to educate you!

Now, the term 'zombie flick' was no doubt brought upon by the Romero movies, Night of the Living Dead and its sequel Dawn of the Dead helping give image to the classic, and the best, kind of zombie: An actual dead corpse person, brought back to life. If anybody dies, they come back as a zombie, unable to be killed for good unless the brain is destroyed (Cutting off the head doesn't work, unfortunately). Zombie bites speed up the rate of death, which in turn leads to zombification.

Now, that's the 'classic' zombie. Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead Remake set out to take the 'classic' image and created what we dub, the 'fast' zombie. Unlike the Classic, the Fast can only be made into zombies through bites from other zombies. Normal deaths not involving destroying the brain, do not result in reanimation. But why are the Fast different than 28 Days Later's Infected? Simple. They die before reanimating. They're still corpses, but these guys run because of whatever virus that infects the blood of the Fast zombie, and they pass it on to others through bites, hence the running.

28 Days Later and its sequel, 28 Weeks Later, adhere to the class of monsters called 'Infected'. They. Are. Not. Zombies. Zombies are corpses that can only be put down by a bullet to the brain. The Infected, meanwhile, are people who were exposed to a virus through blood or saliva contact, known as Rage. Rage does just that - it makes the person infected into a mindless monster always running and hunting down folk to kill. Now, note this as well - zombies eat people. Infected, do not. Hell, the reveal at the end of 28 Days Later reveals that the Infected are starving to death. Meanwhile, in Romero's Land of the Dead, the zombie plague has been around for half a dozen years or so, and the Classics are not dying of starvation. They're already dead. They eat people, sure, but they don't need to.

People often confuse the term 'Zombie flick' for what is actually a 'Pseudo-Apocalyptic movie involving monsters resembling people chasing other people we're supposed to sympathise with'. I've heard idiots call I Am Legend a zombie flick. No. They're vampires, kids. Kinda vampires, but that's another whole mess of **** I DO NOT WANT TO GO INTO RIGHT NOW. Feckin' Twilight... Anyways, if somebody sees 28 Days Later and sees a pseudo-Apocalyptic world with monsters chasing humans, they cannot be forgiven for thinking "Zombie!" They are idiots, who can't even tell that the Infected are not corpses, and can die as easily as normal human. For lack of a better oversimplification, the Infected in 28 Days Later are just people on a particularly nasty strain of some drug, and transmit through blood and stuff. Zombies are corpses.

Zombies are better.

An excellent post, worthy of the Gateworld Hall of Fame (if we had one).
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
            Anyone have an idea of when and what time the show will be on?
            They've said the series premiere will be on Halloween (a Sunday). And since all other AMC original series air on Sunday nights I think it's a safe bet that this will be a Sunday night show.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

An excellent post, worthy of the Gateworld Hall of Fame (if we had one).
              Damn. Straight.
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                They've said the series premiere will be on Halloween (a Sunday). And since all other AMC original series air on Sunday nights I think it's a safe bet that this will be a Sunday night show.
                That will be great if it premieres on Halloween. I really hope it will be a two-hour premiere too.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Allow me to educate you!

Zombies are better.

ok, thanks mate , maybe I should check out 28 Days Later anyway.... wasnt Carlyle in it too? or was it 28 Weeks Later? that the monsters in I AM LEGEND was not zombies, I noticed that although I do not like will smith, I liked that one.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                    ok, thanks mate , maybe I should check out 28 Days Later anyway.... wasnt Carlyle in it too? or was it 28 Weeks Later? that the monsters in I AM LEGEND was not zombies, I noticed that although I do not like will smith, I liked that one.
                    He was in 28 Weeks Later, but both movies are great. I think you should watch them.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                      He was in 28 Weeks Later, but both movies are great. I think you should watch them.
                      okay Ill watch them these days... but it scares the hell out of me these movies so Ill watch them in the morning or evening i guess
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                        okay Ill watch them these days... but it scares the hell out of me these movies so Ill watch them in the morning or evening i guess
                        Come on, watch them late at night. The later the better IMO.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Allow me to educate you!

Zombies are better.

so the creatures from resident evil are they zombies or infected? I remember the baddies from the first movie all died and reanimated but IIRC the virus also simply took over the living without making them die first. I do think they all needed to be shot in the head to be killed, but I'm not sure...
                          I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                            so the creatures from resident evil are they zombies or infected? I remember the baddies from the first movie all died and reanimated but IIRC the virus also simply took over the living without making them die first. I do think they all needed to be shot in the head to be killed, but I'm not sure...
                            Resident Evil the movie? I'll say Zombie. The technicians and such from the first movie were all killed and then reanimated by the T-Virus, and numbers only started to spread by infection through biting. The person bitten eventually dies, and then the T-Virus transmitted through the saliva reanimates them. The RE Zombies were a lot like the Classic, in that the T-Virus made them reanimate after death, they were slow, and the bites sped up the process (In the second film, the guy at the end got shot and killed, and then reanimated, so it must've been airborne T-Virus making them closer to Romero Classic).

Then again, the RE movies played very fast and loose with their own damn rules. Basically, since it takes death for the RE Zombies to come about, they're zombies and not Infected. But, T-Virus infection on other creatures and stuff makes them closer to Infected, because we don't expressly know if the creatures being mutated by the virus died first or not - for example, we don't know if the Infected dogs died first and became zombie dogs in the film. Then again, it's been a while since I've seen the films, so I'll say the RE Film Zombies were Classic, but there were still those that might've infected by the T-Virus and mutated while alive. Also, the third film had the baddies turning the Zombies themselves into Super!Zombies, making them Infected Undead, basically.

Stupid inconsistent film.

Comment

I watched the trailer again just now, and it really got me excited. I really hope this show is as good as it looks, and that it does well for AMC.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                                That will be great if it premieres on Halloween. I really hope it will be a two-hour premiere too.
                                Well it looks like you're (and I'm!) in luck, because word from AMC is that it'll be a 90-minute premiere episode

And thank god they're not pulling a Rubicon and making us wait ages for the second episode, the series is premiering and then carrying on as a normal series:

1.01 -- Oct 31
                                1.02 -- Nov 7
                                1.03 -- Nov 14
                                1.04 -- Nov 21
                                1.05 -- TBA
                                1.06 -- TBA
                                Last edited by DigiFluid; 03 September 2010, 06:39 AM. Reason: only just caught typo now :S

Comment

Working...
                                X