Thing they were eating at the end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    i hated the "intelligent predator " thingey. it's a frakking predator with 4 legs. it didn't have a campfire of it's own so why would it be able to detect *ugh* intelligence?
    Remember what Zipacna said, just because you can't understand an animal does it mean its not intelligent. The premordial Goauld, are intelligent, even not having an civilization, or not speaking anything,like those predators. Us humans have evolved like this because of many things, one in particular, or opposite thumb that allowed us to build our first tools which made it easier to process meat which in turn made our brains evolve faster.

It may not have detected intelligence "per-se" many animal have a sense of self existence and many even have an higher order of "intelligence", deduction, everybody knows dogs are intelligent, some bird can even resolve simple math problems and also gorillas and apes too.

Also it the predators where hunting those space deers, so why wouldn't we?
    Last edited by Steelbox; 12 April 2011, 08:57 AM.
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
      Well they said they weren't going to kill the intelligent creature ie the predator tiger thing.

Or, just possibly, the moral got mixed by sloppy writing. It would not shock me.
      I took it as a method of showing that SGU isn't about teaching morals or lessons, just a story about people trying to survive across the universe.
      I actually viewed it as a powerful moment where we learn that the protagonists put survival and resources above learning empathy and respect for nature from aliens they'll probably never encounter again.

Comment

It may not have detected intelligence "per-se" many animal have a sense of self existence and many even have an higher order of "intelligence", deduction, everybody knows dogs are intelligent, some bird can even resolve simple math problems and also gorillas and apes too.
        nah. only a handful of species have confirmed self-awareness. that being, the ability to recognise yourself in the mirror.

still, there are higher orders of intelligence possible than that. self-aware, yes. tool making is an important next level.

apes and monkeys for example are extraordinarily resourceful.

while some creatures have depicted empathy, for example dolphins, this creature didn't protect us from something else.

rifles create muzzle flashes. we had flashlights. that should be enough fire-related material.

i still find it a weak deus-ex.

Comment

Originally posted by Flibby View Post
          I'm guessing that the thing they were eating at the end was the young creature they encountered on their way back, because I don't recall them having killed any others.

Up until that point, I really liked how they seemed to make peace with the creatures, but then they ended the episode with eating one of them, so it just felt wrong to me.
          I agree and I liked everyone (aside from Park) on the planet a little less for lacking the empathy that was very, very graciously shown to themselves by the predators. I feel like O'Neill or Sheppard would have let the deer go at the end and we would have gotten that feel-good ending, but this is just a different type of show. And let's face it, when it comes to the treatment of animals, this was more realistic.. people put themselves first.

As far as "a good reason" not to eat the things goes.. any of these people ever think the animal could be highly toxic/poisonous to humans? At least with plants there are fairly reliable ways to test edibility.

Comment

And I thought the thread was going to be about what was actually cooked and hanging at Beckers BBQ.

I wish there wasn't so much discontinuity with regards to food. From starving aftermath. To feasting visitation. To starving twin destinies. To maybe not needing to eat meat the hunt. You'd think that destiny had different climatic seasons ON SHIP. Or is it all Brody's fault? The grapes must SUFFER... for a fine wine.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
              Morals be damned, nothing gets in the way of tasty space venison.
              that's what I'm talking about

Comment

Originally posted by noxic View Post
                I agree and I liked everyone (aside from Park) on the planet a little less for lacking the empathy that was very, very graciously shown to themselves by the predators. I feel like O'Neill or Sheppard would have let the deer go at the end and we would have gotten that feel-good ending, but this is just a different type of show. And let's face it, when it comes to the treatment of animals, this was more realistic.. people put themselves first.

As far as "a good reason" not to eat the things goes.. any of these people ever think the animal could be highly toxic/poisonous to humans? At least with plants there are fairly reliable ways to test edibility.
                Oneill or Shepard (or any other competent soldier) would have wasted that cat during the initial attack. Oneill would have brought back enough venison for a feast.

Comment

Meat can spoil pretty quickly. Perhaps they can use the stasis pods to keep it fresh?

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                    Meat can spoil pretty quickly. Perhaps they can use the stasis pods to keep it fresh?
                    Unless they score a few hundred pounds spoiling will not be an issue. To think a ship that can bend the rules of physics does not have a refrigerator is plain folly.

Comment

Could be that they found one of the missing LA people...

regards,
                      G.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

I have to admit, I wouldn't have turned down the chance to eat some actual meat either.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

People eat meat, what's the big deal about eating the dear. I have no problem with anyone eating any animal that is on this Earth as long as it is sustainable i.e. no eating whales.

How intelligent actually was that predator, I don't think it would be morally wrong to kill it and eat it. It would be better to kill it and then use it rather than waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                            People eat meat, what's the big deal about eating the dear. I have no problem with anyone eating any animal that is on this Earth as long as it is sustainable i.e. no eating whales.
                            The distinction I make when it comes to what's huntable or not isn't about sustainability, it's about intelligence, just like in the episode.

The predator probably just wasn't familiar with technology so it didn't know what to think of the weapons and electrical stuff. Fire is a universal thing and the ability to make it is a very obvious sign of intelligence.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating the space deer. It's the predator's food supply and now it's the crew's for a day. Big freakin' deal.

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                            And I thought the thread was going to be about what was actually cooked and hanging at Beckers BBQ.
                            Me too haha. I'm guessing it's an actual deer but I really don't know. Never hunted and never will unless I need to.

Comment

I bet they go fishing in the next episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                                I wish there wasn't so much discontinuity with regards to food. From starving aftermath. To feasting visitation. To starving twin destinies. To maybe not needing to eat meat the hunt.
                                Why is it discontinuity? It would make perfect sense that some planets rich with life replenish their food supplies more than other desert-type and rocky planets.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X