Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    A good author doesn't let not being a fan of a particular character prevent them from writing that character IN character.

<snip>

Honestly, yes, I think it's a mistake, and the lack of readership you've reported, along with the bad reviews, should probably be your biggest clue.
    What she said.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I agree that it is important to write the characters as they are portrayed. For Fanfiction, if you don't like a particular character, it's probably best not to write that character, but invent one that suits your needs.

You see, your potential readers will like those canon characters and will not be happy to see them written in any way that is different from the way they are portrayed. If you cannot write them in a positive light, you risk insulting your readers. That is the number one drawback of writing fanfiction; they aren't your characters, they are someone else's. It's limiting. If you cannot respect those limits, it's best to create your own characters.
      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

It appears then that everyone judges a book by its cover; what is so bad about writing a character in a different light ? For a pure example; I've read TWO stories, both of them stargate fanfics, wherein Carter was a lesbian, which personally kept me away once I got through the first page. that does not mean there is nothing wrong with writing the character in that light or form.

Also; there are some people, I say this in a broad sense, that, for another example, saw Abe Linclon as a good man {the north} and they wrote about him in a very praise worthy manner, wherein the south wrote about him being a ruthless lawmaker and president that hated the south and everything it stood for. Two sides, one coin, so to speak.

There are two sides to every story. However, fems asked for a link, and therefore I will give it. At least do me a favor and read the story in full {all 20 chapters so far, you can skip the extra scenes if you want} before giving advice, I've had two reads so far go one chapter {one went as far as four} before giving me a scathing comment

http://autumnstarr.deviantart.com/gallery/34836425

NOTE: I moved from ffn to DA as of 2 FEB 2012 due to the lack of service support from ffn in terms of their login troubles

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
          It appears then that everyone judges a book by its cover; what is so bad about writing a character in a different light ? For a pure example; I've read TWO stories, both of them stargate fanfics, wherein Carter was a lesbian, which personally kept me away once I got through the first page. that does not mean there is nothing wrong with writing the character in that light or form.
          This has nothing to do with judging a book by its cover. I've read stories painting Carter as a lesbian too (along with some painting Jack as gay, usually paired with Daniel), and while slashfic isn't really my thing, being gay or lesbian does NOT change the quality of a person's character. Homosexuality isn't evil. But shooting people out of anger, or kidnapping someone, or whatever? Those are evil things, which people like Sam and Jack wouldn't do. If Carter were a lesbian, that wouldn't make her any less of a professional, ethical, decent human being. It certainly wouldn't make her someone who shoots people in the knees because she's pissed off at them, or someone who kidnaps a person's daughter.

Also; there are some people, I say this in a broad sense, that, for another example, saw Abe Linclon as a good man {the north} and they wrote about him in a very praise worthy manner, wherein the south wrote about him being a ruthless lawmaker and president that hated the south and everything it stood for. Two sides, one coin, so to speak.
          I must have missed something. What episode of Stargate did Abe appear in?

But the thing is, Abe is a historical figure who did certain things that got him viewed in different ways by different groups of people (neither of whom were necessarily 100% right on all of it). That's completely different from a character like Sam. After all, were we EVER shown anything in canon that painted Sam as the kind of person who would do the kinds of things you have her doing? I certainly can't think of anything from canon that would give her that kind of characterization.

Bottom line: comparing views of Abe Lincoln to views of Samantha Carter in the way you're doing is really comparing apples and oranges.

If you don't like Carter, then just don't write her. Problem solved.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

A good author doesn't let not being a fan of a particular character prevent them from writing that character IN character.
            Very true... it doesn't stop me from writing McKay, and I have to admit while he's a pain to write I kinda like writing him; He's quite the challenge. Or Keller...

To the Carter-issue - the story is an AU. That should clue them in that it might just be a different Carter altogether. If you can convince your readers that this Carter would indeed shoot someone's kneecaps to kingdom come they should have an issue with it. It's an alternate universe after all... anything is fair game in them as long as it's convincing.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The key word here, though, is convincing. If everything else in that AU is the same, then just changing something like that about one or two characters, without painting a very thorough picture of not only WHY they are that way but also HOW they can be that way and still be in the positions they are in and have the relationships they have with the other characters generally won't ring true to the reader. It sounds very much like that's what's been happening.

Also, PA, you might want to think about perhaps not mixing quite so many multiple franchises in a single fic. I suspect that part of the problem might be that you're overwhelming your readers with entirely too much to take in.

(Note that the first paragraph above applies less to changing a character's sexuality than it does to changing other aspects of their personality and especially their ethics.)

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

The key word here, though, is convincing. If everything else in that AU is the same, then just changing something like that about one or two characters, without painting a very thorough picture of not only WHY they are that way but also HOW they can be that way and still be in the positions they are in and have the relationships they have with the other characters generally won't ring true to the reader. It sounds very much like that's what's been happening.
                Can't argue with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Very true... it doesn't stop me from writing McKay, and I have to admit while he's a pain to write I kinda like writing him; He's quite the challenge. Or Keller...

To the Carter-issue - the story is an AU. That should clue them in that it might just be a different Carter altogether. If you can convince your readers that this Carter would indeed shoot someone's kneecaps to kingdom come they should have an issue with it. It's an alternate universe after all... anything is fair game in them as long as it's convincing.
                  Two points right on the money!!

McKay is fun to write, sometimes I can get right into his personality of character and just let my fingers do the talking. even in a AU story things are indeed easy when writing McKay or Sheppard or even Jack. But I run into troubles with Carter, well, mostly she comes off to me as a miss goody two shoes.

So all it really takes then is proper writing of how things pan out is how you are saying it Lemming ? Just want to be sure, this is a flyby post as I'm enroute to wardrobe for a production. I got a whole history written up between Lake and Carter, their fights, anger towards each other, etc. I've only hinted at the inital fight wherein Lake wants revenge on Carter for getting shot in the knees a few times throughout the story as a whole.

It is not that I do not like carter persei, She's a good character, but I just cant write her off as a miss perfect who gets everything right the first time, She's naturally cerious to begin with, so that partly helps. Even professionals can snap and shoot someone.

I just mentioned Abe because he came to my mind at the time. {that and he is my personal favorite American leader}

After all, like Lemming says, this story IS an AU series.

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Also, PA, you might want to think about perhaps not mixing quite so many multiple franchises in a single fic. I suspect that part of the problem might be that you're overwhelming your readers with entirely too much to take in.
                    This could be part of my problem. Even so, some people on DA have favorited some of my chapters. One guy has the whole series faved already. so that must mean something. But you are most likely right, I may be mixing too many fandoms into one bowl. I think just using three works best. it inistally started as a short fic between me and Amann over how an Alesian would react to a Transformer and it took off from there into what it is now.

Also, please call me either Awi or Princess calling me PA makes me feel like that Amerikan state

Comment

So all it really takes then is proper writing of how things pan out is how you are saying it Lemming ? Just want to be sure, this is a flyby post as I'm enroute to wardrobe for a production. I got a whole history written up between Lake and Carter, their fights, anger towards each other, etc. I've only hinted at the inital fight wherein Lake wants revenge on Carter for getting shot in the knees a few times throughout the story as a whole.
                      Good writing goes a long way...

Comment

This could be part of my problem. Even so, some people on DA have favorited some of my chapters. One guy has the whole series faved already. so that must mean something. But you are most likely right, I may be mixing too many fandoms into one bowl. I think just using three works best. it inistally started as a short fic between me and Amann over how an Alesian would react to a Transformer and it took off from there into what it is now.

Also, please call me either Awi or Princess calling me PA makes me feel like that Amerikan state
                        It's cool when people favorite your fics, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really say all that much; I've seen people get nominated (or even winning) fanfic awards for stuff that's just plain awful and painful for the eyes/brain.

I have to agree that crossovers probably deter readers. For one, they are mostly only enjoyable if you know all the fics involved. Secondly, the fandoms all have to get the same amount of attention, which is often where crossovers fail. It's also important to portray each fandom as accurately as possible and at the same time ensure that the story makes sense for someone who is unfamiliar with one or more of said fandoms. Last but not least, the crossover has to make sense. There has to be a logical and satisfying explanation as to why these fandoms overlap.

The more fandoms you use the more difficult you make it for yourself; people have to know them all, or at least find them enjoyable/be willing to read it and you have to juggle a lot of characters.
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I run into troubles with Carter, well, mostly she comes off to me as a miss goody two shoes.
                          I've never seen her that way...

It is not that I do not like carter persei, She's a good character, but I just cant write her off as a miss perfect who gets everything right the first time, She's naturally cerious to begin with, so that partly helps. Even professionals can snap and shoot someone.
                          Ah, you do realize that there's an entire SPECTRUM of difference between being "Miss Perfect" and being the kind of person who would just shoot someone out of anger, don't you? Why not just write her as someone who makes mistakes, but not THAT dire of a mistake? I mean, otherwise you have to explain why she wasn't court-martialed and dishonorably discharged from the Air Force or worse.

And no, a professional of her calibre is NOT going to "snap and shoot someone". Certainly not without losing her career, in which case you'll have successfully removed her from the story anyway.

I saw Carter in canon as someone who did make mistakes from time to time, and in ATWLB, I write her as someone who thinks she's made a mistake even when she hasn't. She actually has a guilt complex over it.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

But an AU Carter might... like her evil twin or something.

Comment

Maybe if it's RepliCarter... Although she seemed to prefer sword-like weaponry and certainly wouldn't be bothered by something as trivial as a little fight on Earth and/or kidnapping someone's daughter - she would just blow up the planet and be done with it.
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

You know, I read a fic where Cassie was brutalized and raped, and Sam took it upon herself to identify, track down, and punish the perp. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, because while I'm not sure Sam would have done it, I do think that Cassie's victimization was a good enough example of what might turn Sam into someone we haven't seen before. If that makes any sense...

Comment

Working...
                                X