• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You win.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Sorry, guys, it is not my fault that MGM wasted this franchise for so many years. Probably I have said it before, but imagine how many DVD movies we could have got now if they keep their promises...
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

You win.
        I concede the victory to you, m'lady *bows down*

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        Sorry, guys, it is not my fault that MGM wasted this franchise for so many years. Probably I have said it before, but imagine how many DVD movies we could have got now if they keep their promises...
        Imagine how many DVD movies if fan such as you would've been in charge!
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Imagine how much more shelf-space we would have come short... you mean.

There would be a stargate shelf... several in fact ... and what a marvelous collection it would have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            Imagine how many DVD movies if fan such as you would've been in charge!
            Thanks. If I would be in charge that would be amazing. I would definately serve the fans with much better quality merchandise products while they are waiting between movies or seasons...
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Question: does All Access allow downloading to a desktop all the Stargate seasons and episodes? Haven't watched anything on Access yet. Still mad MGM wouldn't refund my money after I saw live streams were free on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                Question: does All Access allow downloading to a desktop all the Stargate seasons and episodes? Haven't watched anything on Access yet. Still mad MGM wouldn't refund my money after I saw live streams were free on YouTube.
                Of course not. Imagine it that everbody would pay 20 dollars, then quickly download 360 episodes... So, no, the answer is officially no.

They won't refund money, but it was very-very misleading how they treated the deadline. It was hidden in the FAQ. So they expect us to support them for year 2, but they also haven't revealed anything serious what they are planning to to. Okay, not show, not movie, but at least such things that we are planning to start an article and video series about this and that. All what we have heard is what Darren revealed in Vancouver. But no official press release, no official statement, nothing. It is really-really amateurish.

Not to mention again that they raised false hope in fans, then they fooled us in San Diego and Vancouver. I don't expect anything in New York. Not from this management as this is beyond awful customer service. Sorry.

Comment

Time for a new fandom

Comment

Time for a new fandom
                    Maybe. A new generation of viewers have born in the last 20 years. As I have stated a few times, while the high quality computer games have got such rich lores where the players can make individual decisions in single player RPGs or in MMORPGS, then it will be really hard to reach and to touch the heart of these young viewers. Even the other tv companies, technically our competitors create such high budget fantasy and scifi shows that it will be very hard to revive Stargate. We talked about it that our little scifi realm was never only about big space battles and special effects rather characters, but cheap solutions (like a standing picture works as an alien planet) won't be enough nowadays. Simple the level of expectations were really raised high. I still believe a Netflix cooperation would be the best solution.

Comment

What live streams? Do you mean, the episodes? They are only available for three days at a time, and everything else isn't free at all, except for the Gatecon livestreams, that is.

The FAQ clearly states that refunds are not given, but you can always try with your creditcard company.

Comment

Maybe. A new generation of viewers have born in the last 20 years. As I have stated a few times, while the high quality computer games have got such rich lores where the players can make individual decisions in single player RPGs or in MMORPGS, then it will be really hard to reach and to touch the heart of these young viewers.
                        Meh I don't think computer games is an issue here. I was 8 when SG1 first aired, so I guess I'm one of those young viewers. I can tell you for a fact that 90% of my friends are casual gamers, aka play say Call of Duty on console from time to time, and contrary to the popular belief, girls play too. Heck my ex gf was better than me on Zombie mode and she was no gamer. Other than that their *tv/game time* is entirely spent on Netflix, especially the ladies (Netflix and chill ). Nobody has cable anymore.

I think its a matter of revitalizing the franchise. Without altering too much the Stargate style, it still needs to undergo major changes to be able to compete with the other shows out there. We're living in the TV show era, movie production have been constantly dwindling to the favor of Series, especially on Netflix and other similar platforms. Star Trek did very well, I'm the perfect example, I've never seen the TV show nor any movies but I found myself enjoying Star Trek Discovery very much. I didn't have to watch the thousands of hours of Trek shows to understand what's going on and enjoy it.

It's all about the money and the budget, no doubt in my mind.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

It would be so simple. They should find some talented new people who could make lots of digital concept arts. Nowadays you can see such artists everywhere on the youtube, that I am sure so many of them would work on a Stargate if they are paid for it.

What I always wanted to see in Stargate, the different planets. Rare trees, new alien lifeforms, alien environment. Okay, we will never have the budget for Avatar type animations, but don't tell me it would be so hard to use real images with mixed digital art to create unique alien landscapes in a few shots. The whole story still could be played in the standing sets (or digital sets), but you have to amaze your own audience. For example: white glowing chrystal type of mountains in the background, what has nothing to do the episode. At least that particular planet would be recognizeable and unique. And don't tell me such things would cost that amound of money, just it needs the right people and the right enthusiasm. The forests and the same valley was getting boring in SG-1, then they used the same forest and river bed in Atlantis too. And if occasionally we got a Pegasus planet wider shot, then villages with hills and mountain. Meh. Nothing really creative. That is what I was missing from stargate. Such little background "events" which can inspire the fandom and the fan fiction writers.

Comment

...Avatar type animations...
                            The animation and 3D world of avatar was created by altering existing 3D software and basically create a whole new program from scratch. They had to invent new technologies for it to work. Avatar is like an innovation all on its own.

And don't tell me such things would cost that amound of money, just it needs the right people and the right enthusiasm.
                            Errm... no, it really does cost a lot of money. It just isn't the right people. It's all the hardware and computing power and the programs and the IT-folks involved, writing new code to make it all work. There's a very good reason why the "animator and VFX" sections of end credits seem to go on and on sometimes. It's just not a few people, it's a whole team of different kinds of people.

Let's just say, there's a good reason why the VFX on Stargate Origins looks wonky -- that's what you get with low-budget.

Comment

I know this part. I have meant that there were such SG episodes when one or two standing picture served as illustration of the the alien planet. If they could afford animations, that is different and yes, you are right, they are more expensive. Most of the SG episodes could afford 20-30 secs CGI animation or maybe the bigger ones a slightly more. But making a nice alien landscape as a standing picture can not be that expensive, I believe.

Comment

Matte paintings do cost a little less... true.

Comment

Working...
                                X