Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    here's one for you.....

1) go to local supermarket
    2) find bakery section
    3) pick up pie of your choice
    4) go to checkout counter and pay for it
    5) drive home and serve

Ha! But mad gater, chelle lives in Australia. Pumpkin pie may not be in her local supermarket like it is in ours here.

chelle, I have never made pumpkin pie, but I'll get my mother's recipe and post it here for you later. I've eaten sweet potato pie, but haven't made it either. However, they taste very similar, mainly due to the consistency of the ingredients used, and the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves).

What I have made is Pumpkin-Date Bread...and it is WONDERFUL! I'm posting the recipe here to see if you might like to try it. It came from a very popular Nashville restaurant. I've made it many, many times, always with success. It is a very moist, cake-like bread. In fact, you could probably make it in round cake pans, but I've never tried.

Here's how the restaurant used the bread: They sliced each loaf. Then, they cut each slice in half and spread the two halves with cream cheese. The two halves were then put back together to make a small sandwich that was served with chicken salad and fruit. Yum!

PUMPKIN-DATE BREAD

1 cup water
    1 cup oil
    1 can pumpkin pie filling or plain canned pumpkin
    3 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    1-1/2 cups dates, chopped
    1 cup English walnuts, chopped

3-1/2 cups self-rising flour
    1 teaspoon each: nutmeg, ginger, salt
    2 teaspoons cloves
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 teaspoons baking soda

Get a VERY LARGE mixing bowl. Mix the first seven ingredients in it. Sift remaining ingredients together. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir until it is blended well. Pour into greased loaf pans.* Bake for 80-90 minutes in a 325-degree oven.

* Note: This mixture makes 3-4 loaves if made in standard 9x5 loaf pans.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
      Ha! But mad gater, chelle lives in Australia. Pumpkin pie may not be in her local supermarket like it is in ours here.
      chelle, I have never made pumpkin pie, but I'll get my mother's recipe and post it here for you later. I've eaten sweet potato pie, but haven't made it either. However, they taste very similar, mainly due to the consistency of the ingredients used, and the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves).
      What I have made is Pumpkin-Date Bread...and it is WONDERFUL! I'm posting the recipe here to see if you might like to try it. It came from a very popular Nashville restaurant. I've made it many, many times, always with success. It is a very moist, cake-like bread. In fact, you could probably make it in round cake pans, but I've never tried.
      Here's how the restaurant used the bread: They sliced each loaf. Then, they cut each slice in half and spread the two halves with cream cheese. The two halves were then put back together to make a small sandwich that was served with chicken salad and fruit. Yum!

PUMPKIN-DATE BREAD

1 cup water
      1 cup oil
      1 can pumpkin pie filling or plain canned pumpkin
      3 cups sugar
      3 eggs
      1-1/2 cups dates, chopped
      1 cup English walnuts, chopped

3-1/2 cups self-rising flour
      1 teaspoon each: nutmeg, ginger, salt
      2 teaspoons cloves
      1/2 teaspoon baking powder
      2 teaspoons cinnamon
      2 teaspoons baking soda

Get a VERY LARGE mixing bowl. Mix the first seven ingredients in it. Sift remaining ingredients together. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir until it is blended well. Pour into greased loaf pans.* Bake for 80-90 minutes in a 325-degree oven.

* Note: This mixture makes 3-4 loaves if made in standard 9x5 loaf pans.
      Thank you Melissa...and you're right...we don't have pumpkin pie here otherwise I would have done just that and gone to the supermarket and bought it instead!!
      When I can I'll post a couple of quick recipes...nothing flash mind you...cooking is really not my forte!!
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Bekki's Now Famous Chocolate Cheesecake slice (very easy to make!!!)

Ingredients

BASE
        185 grams butter
        1/4 cup cocoa
        1 cup sugar
        1 cup plain flour
        2 eggs, beaten

250 grams philadelphia cheese
        1 teaspoon vanilla
        1 beaten egg
        1/3 cup sugar

Melt butter and mix with cocoa. Stir in sugar then beaten eggs and flour. Mix TOP ingredients separately. Pour BASE mixture into a greased tray. Pour TOP mixture over the top. Cook in moderate oven for 50 minutes.

yum yum yum
        sigpic

Comment

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I've just made the most cool cookies! I got the recipe from one of my cousins. It combines two of my favorite things...chocolate and orange. I thought I'd share the recipe.

What delicious concoctions have you tried lately? The holidays are coming, you know...

Just sayin'...

Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 box Duncan Hines Orange Supreme cake mix
          ½ cup chopped orange slice candy
          ½ cup oil
          1 6-ounce bag chocolate chips
          2 eggs
          ½ cup chopped pecans or macadamias

To prepare orange slices, drop in flour for coating (to make it easier to chop). Continue to place in flour as the candies are cut in half, three times. Set aside.

Mix first three ingredients together to make cookie dough. The dough will be stiff. I added a couple of teaspoons of water to make it a little easier to stir. It did not adversely affect my cookies. Add chopped orange slices, the chocolate chips and the nuts.

Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-13 minutes. Remove from pan and place on cooling rack.

Makes 3 dozen delicious chewy cookies!

Comment

Working...
          X