No announcement yet.

Why do you write fan fiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of my reasons have already been mentioned, but one is getting new perspective for the canon characters. Exploring different situations, different characters, different... different possibilities, I think. It helps me see the canon in new, amusing and interesting way.

Comment

i write because i have tons of ideas about Stargate and since it's not on tv i resort to watching reruns and coming up with my own stories plus it occupies my free time.
      sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

Why do I write fan fiction? Because I feel that SGU deserved a better life than it got from being aired on the SyFy channel. It didn't satisfy me(actually, it devastated me as a developing scifi fan) when SyFy made the mistake of killing off the show, TOO early before its time. So, like many SGU crazed fans that SyFy didn't take into account(I am one of MILLIONS of SGU fans who watched the series ONLINE over the INTERNET, not on TV), I decided that I needed to continue the SGU story, continuing it from where it left off in the season 2 finale(no, it's not the series finale, and that's that). I decided to continue it with my take on a season 3 of SGU, while also including some SG1 and SGA content as well. Basically, it's my continuation of all three series, in one story. But the main reason why I write fan fiction, is to satisfy my need for TRUE science fiction(not the non-scifi, fake paranormal junk SyFy has been airing since SGU was killed). I don't think I will be able to survive without true scifi, so I write it, and lots of other SGU fans appreciate and enjoy my writings.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          Fan fiction writers puzzle me, because fan fiction can't be published, because it's derived from copyrighted work.
          I don't write fan fiction, but am posting because the bolded portion is not true. While not all fan fiction can be published, some of it can. The Fandemonium novels are one example, as are all the published Star Trek novels. Closer to the type of fan fiction you meant is the Grantville Gazette and Ring of Fire stories.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
            I don't write fan fiction, but am posting because the bolded portion is not true. While not all fan fiction can be published, some of it can. The Fandemonium novels are one example, as are all the published Star Trek novels. Closer to the type of fan fiction you meant is the Grantville Gazette and Ring of Fire stories.

Seaboe
            Oh, I'm so glad someone else realizes this besides me. Thank you for pointing it out here.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
              Oh, I'm so glad someone else realizes this besides me. Thank you for pointing it out here.
              I hadn't read the thread, or I would've said something earlier.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
                Exactly. Nearly every show now produces published fan fic--you can find them lining the shelves of many a bookstore, completely legal and making the authors an income. Also, some fan fic writers have gone on to become published authors of original works.
                sigpic
                Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Because it allows for the adventures we love to keep going past the shows themselves. As much as anything else, I write this stuff because I want things like Stargate to stay alive.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    Because it allows for the adventures we love to keep going past the shows themselves. As much as anything else, I write this stuff because I want things like Stargate to stay alive.
                    And Stargate is staying very much alive, especially when speaking in terms of fan fiction. Actually, I don't think that there's been so much support for the franchise like this since SGU was killed off(and no, I'm not saying it's the final series, because all it had was a season 2 finale, not a series finale). Since SGU got killed off, I saw a massive influx of Stargate fan fictions being written and uploaded, especially on fanfiction.net. Just goes to show you how well the franchise is still doing, even though MGM wants nothing to do with the franchise anymore.

Comment

i used to write fanfiction for the "what if" factor. What can you do to change something you didn't like about a particular episode. I don't write fanfiction anymore but i continue to read what is posted on fanfiction.net because it is fun to read what people are able to create. I am currently writing a Stargate novel for MGM that I hope to get published.

Comment

At first, some 15 years ago to practice my English (should have done the same for my French - might have been better at it). Now, I'm just in it for the fun and to explore so many roads the shows didn't go on, or because they just wouldn't thread on those grounds at all (especially seeing as half of my SGA OTP is cannonically involved with someone of the male variety). And to give the female characters a chance to star, and for the male characters to take a back seat for once.

I don't intend to stop any time soon, though time wise I don't have as much of it as I once did.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Im not a big fanfic writer (not like most here). Im not as good with words as some of the amazing ff authors I've come across in the Stargate fandom. But the fics that I did write I wrote because I had this idea in my head .. and I had the feeling I needed to tell the story. Not because I wanted someone else to read it, but because I wanted to write it. That has always been my first goal in any kind of art. I write the stories I like to read. I make the music video's I like to watch. I write and play the music that I want to hear. Not because I could publish it and get someone else to read it... (hell I'm dealing with that on a daily basis in acedemia already).

When it comes to my art forms (music being the one I'm invested in most but It can go for anything), I'm pretty selfish in a way I do it for me. And if someone else likes it in the process thats of course only a big bonus!
                          sigpic

Me @ Livejournal, Youtube, Tumblr Deviant-art and my band: Alantia

Comment

And that is exactly how art should be, Nanouk. The artist should create something for their own enjoyment, something that whispers to them in the dark of night and won't leave them alone until they create it. Art should never be created for the purpose of making money, although it would be a wonderful side benefit.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I took to working on my SG-1/SGA/SGU fanfic when the franchise ended. It was a way of answering the questions the writers left unanswered. It also was a way of having fun with the characters and events we all loved.

Comment

Hmmmm, at the moment? To read stories focussed on a fandom of interest, nurture my literacy skills and meet awesome people. In the beginning? I read way too much X Files fic, got an idea, wrote it down and got a good response. Stargate was my first love, so it was much easier to write and a much more fun universe to play around in

Comment

Working...
                                X