Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defying Gravity - News/Articles/Discussion (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ames View Post
    In general, I liked the show. Seeing as the second half (ours aired as a 2-hour premiere ... is that not how it aired for everyone else?) was better than the first, I have high hopes for the episodes to continue growing in strength of writing.
    Same here, it seem like it aired as a two hour pilot everywhere.

Yes, there were things that drove me a bit batty ... like how long the tether was (not to mention the apparent lack of motorised reeling in system), and the fact that everyone seemed to think the fellow would be allowed to remain active in the program after taking his unauthorized sight-seeing walk.
    I persuming that they thought the people higher up would of taken beta into account or may be they have something else plan for him, that the flight controller does not know about.
    I am guesting that space travel have become pretty common in this time period also he was one of the highest rated astronaut on the mission.
    A few questions arose as well:
    Why were there only two backup officers available? If there were over 1000 applicants for each position, why wasn't there a full back-up team standing by?
    Why would a married couple be allowed to participate in the program, especially with one technically being in command of the other?
    The answer is simple what beta wants is what beta gets. I am guesting that out of the thousands of applicants they were the only ones the met beta criteria , what ever that is, it then change it mind at the last minute. Nasa seem to have very little say in the decision making process.

Who/what is Beta ... and more importantly, *where* is Alpha?
    Judging from the flashbacks - just how long as 'Beta' been involved in the planning of this program?
    with current nasa well over twenty years to plan something like this but then again may beta force Nasa to speed things up a little.

Speaking of the flashbacks, yes, there seemed to be a lack of distinct transitions to cue the audience that we were in a flashback. Some had dates on them, but some were more based on contextual evidence ... I enjoyed getting the background information, as well as seeing parts of their training, but the jumping around on the timeline did make me have to pay rather close attention!
    Yes an I love television programs that force me to pay attention, but for me there was nothing to stretching about it.

see what comes about next week!
    Oh, and to answer someone's question about advertising, we (SW Ontario) started getting snippets for the show maybe 3 weeks ago? Not a long build-up at all -- but there was enough of a one to get both my dad and I independently to set our PVRs to record the show
    you got any ratings yet, I guesting we will need this succeed in at least two out of the four markets that I know it airing in, ideally three markets would be good.

Comment

Actually I've been meaning to ask- what DOES the "Gray's Anatomy in space" thing mean? Never watched an ep of that show and know very little about it, so how does it apply to Defying Gravity?

re: Alternates- I assume there were more alternates, actually, but that the backups for Rollie and Ajay were the only ones of any significance and thus were the only ones we heard about. I could be totally wrong, of course, but I just assumed there were more.

If I remember correctly didn't one of the Stargate producers say that parts of the DG sets were recycled from Stargate? Did I miss people mentioning that here? Because, wow, usually folks are all immediate with the "ZOMG!!11 THAT LOOKED JUST LIEK ATLANTIS!!!111one" Or SG-1 or whatever. So it'd be funny if this is a case where it ACUTALLY IS THE ACTUAL SET ACTUALLY and no one said anything. But sorry, forgive my momentary rant of frustration. And if it has already been mentioned, the joke's on me. LOL! Too tired for this...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
        Actually I've been meaning to ask- what DOES the "Gray's Anatomy in space" thing mean? Never watched an ep of that show and know very little about it, so how does it apply to Defying Gravity?

r this...
        Grey anatomy was about young interns and about half of the normal doctors all having hanky panky why treating the patents at the same time.

Personally I do not see much in common with the show myself, completly different atmosphere. But it does copy the three way relationship that was pretty prominent in the episodes grey anatomy that I have watch.

As I said in my previous post I like soap opera done this way,

and it seem it not all that far from the truth either

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._triangle.html
        Last edited by knowles2; 06 August 2009, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
          Essential the force on character drama and interpersonal relationships. In Grey's it was character drama and interpersonal relationships in a medical setting, your essential changing medical setting to a sci-fi setting. Hence the comparison.

Comment

And isn't the creator of this the same guy that created Grey's Anatomy? (which btw I have never had any interest in watching.)

I mean BSG was heavily into the character drama and just happened to have a sci-fi setting so I don't find it a turn off to have a heavily character driven show, but I don't like/could care less (like the blond involved with Donner) about some of their stories so far.

I had to laugh at the notion that

Spoiler:
            abortions would be illegal in the future. If anything they will become government mandated as a form of population control....
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              you got any ratings yet, I guesting we will need this succeed in at least two out of the four markets that I know it airing in, ideally three markets would be good.
              Our ratings for last week aren't public yet ... I'll check back in a few days. (Now you've got me all curious ... I had to go and find the official site for Canada They've only released stats up to July 26th at this point though.)

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
              I had to laugh at the notion that

Spoiler:
              abortions would be illegal in the future. If anything they will become government mandated as a form of population control....
              Spoiler:
              I think it's more a case of sterilisation being mandatory for a portion of the existing population ... and those adults who haven't undergone sterilisation being then depended upon to produce the next generation whenever possible. So if you haven't been sterilised, you're assumed to want to have children some time down the line - if you didn't, why didn't you get sterilised?

On the flip side of that, however, from the comments made by the married couple, it sounds like they're either not sterilised, or that perhaps it's a reversible procedure (the wife telling the husband that she wants to have his kids someday, presumably when she returns from the mission...) ... or did I miss something? *ponders*
              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
              ames on facebook
              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

And isn't the creator of this the same guy that created Grey's Anatomy? (which btw I have never had any interest in watching.)
                Defying Gravity was created by James Parriott, while Grey's Anatomy was created by Shonda Rhimes.

I mean BSG was heavily into the character drama and just happened to have a sci-fi setting so I don't find it a turn off to have a heavily character driven show, but I don't like/could care less (like the blond involved with Donner) about some of their stories so far.
                True, but BSG also much more of a sci-fi element than, IMO we'll ever see in DG.

Comment

Defying Gravity - Episode 1.03 - Threshold - 3 Sneak Peeks

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/0...reshold-3.html

Comment

I am not so sure I think we may actually get more hard science elements in Defying gravity than we ever did in BSG which barely did science at all and when it did it was poor.

I am interested in spoiler for the next episode
                    Spoiler:
                    cellular transformations

that sound like science fiction to me, more than what we got in the 4 season of bsg . An there explanation of what beta is cannot be any more more lame than what we got from BSG for answers. That if defying gravity last long enough to provide those answers which I hope it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                      Defying Gravity was created by James Parriott, while Grey's Anatomy was created by Shonda Rhimes.
                      Thanks. I thought I caught myself reading something that mentioned him and Grey's, but must have remembered/read that wrong. Should have checked first....

True, but BSG also much more of a sci-fi element than, IMO we'll ever see in DG.
                      I agree that DG probably won't focus heavily on the sci-fi part..at least no more than BSG did, but I still don't mind heavy character dramas as long as I find the characters interesting.

Originally posted by ames
                      Spoiler:

I think it's more a case of sterilisation being mandatory for a portion of the existing population ... and those adults who haven't undergone sterilisation being then depended upon to produce the next generation whenever possible. So if you haven't been sterilised, you're assumed to want to have children some time down the line - if you didn't, why didn't you get sterilised?

On the flip side of that, however, from the comments made by the married couple, it sounds like they're either not sterilised, or that perhaps it's a reversible procedure (the wife telling the husband that she wants to have his kids someday, presumably when she returns from the mission...) ... or did I miss something? *ponders*
                      No, it was me that missed something. I didn't see the first 30 minutes or so, so I missed that bit. Thanks. Well ok that makes a bit more sense then.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

On-Set Interview with Defying Gravity's Ron Livingston - please check the link below

http://scifiandtvtalk.wordpress.com/...for-the-stars/

Comment

New Interview with Andrew Airlie (Mike Goss) - check out the link below

http://scifiandtvtalk.wordpress.com/...ie-in-control/

Comment

HI Everyone! Long time no participate on my part - sigh, traveling on business again, very hectic schedule. Look for a new signature in the next few days - next in my math humour series!

I managed to land just in time to catch this. I thought it was good; the special effects are very good. I recognize almost all the players - I am a big Christina Cox and Maxim Roy fan (for obvious reasons) although I thought Maxim was really underutilized. I saw a few ex BSG people in the series as well.

I do hope Fox gives this a shot, but thankfully, I see that it is an independent production and I am hopeful that it will go the distance even if they do their usual and fail to support, and bail. It certainly did not get much exposure other then in the immediate days leading up to it, and what do they expect out of a mid-summer launch on a Sunday evening FCOL.

Anyways, I am with everyone else, the tether/lack of motor issue was extremely dumb, but overall I thought many of the facets were reasonable.

I will give this one my support unless some unfathomable stupidity rears its head in the forthcoming plot.
                            ---------------------
                            sigpic
                            Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

I actually look forward to tomorrow night's episode.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Same here, turning on PC and watching this as soon as I wake up tomorrow. along with true blood
                                Last edited by knowles2; 09 August 2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X