This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
    Yes, sir, Thank you sir, it does, which ever you prescribe to is your prerogative.
    As is mine. I simply require a higher standard than most.
    Not at all. A good or bad plot is very subjective. But as far as storytelling goes the defintion of what makes a plot is very concrete with it containing exposition (the problem), rising action, climax (turning point), falling action, and resolution (solution). Obviously not all these have been met but the fact some have means its has a plot just not a complete one
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
      Hardly; the stargate was more-than-likely destroyed by the massive planetary explosion seconds after Young came through. With no gate to connect to, the wormhole simply fizzled out.
      That is a probable possibility, Colonel, only the gate wouldn't be destroyed instantly. There would be more than enough time for the gate to be insulated by debris of the installation for a significant part of the blast and debris to enter the wormhole and none did.

I simply can not ignore that,sir.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Not at all. A good or bad plot is very subjective. But as far as storytelling goes the defintion of what makes a plot is very concrete with it containing exposition (the problem), rising action, climax (turning point), falling action, and resolution (solution). Obviously not all these have been met but the fact some have means its has a plot just not a complete one
        Sir, According to my research...

The the mythos must be central element of the story. It was not out of two Parts. This is essential to the plot.

Comment

That is a probable possibility, Colonel, only the gate wouldn't be destroyed instantly. There would be more than enough time for the gate to be insulated by debris of the installation for a significant part of the blast and debris to enter the wormhole and none did.

I simply can not ignore that,sir.
          We're talking about an explosion powerful enough to obliterate a planet. We've seen nuclear blasts that simple vaporize anything in their way, and that would only be 1/10000000000000000000000000000th of the power in the blast that destroyed the world the Icarus Base was situated on. The odds of a few layers of concrete being able to insulate the stargate are practically zero; the much more likely outcome is that the gate in question was simply destroyed instantly.

Besides, Rush was using the fear of a blast translating through the gate to Earth as a pretext to allow himself to dial the 9th chevron address; he may well have exaggerated the danger to satiate his own curiosity, after all, and may have known that the explosion would have vaporized the portal instantly.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
            No, it's actually not. The definition of plot is unchanging. What is variable are the strengths/weaknesses, likeability, and other such relative and subjective arguments.

A plot can be good or bad depending on who's judging it. It can be strong or weak, shaky or solid.

But the definition of 'plot' is unchanging.

And that's your prerogative, but whether or not you thought the plot was good doesn't negate nor confirm the existence of said plot.
            Unfortunately, sir I have not seen consistent agreement on what defines a plot from multiple sources. If you have any they would be appreciated.

Comment

Sir, According to my research...

The the mythos must be central element of the story. It was not out of two Parts. This is essential to the plot.
              That is not nesciarrly true. While the mythos of a character is always nice its not essential to the plot. Regardless of that we did get to see mythos of what some character believed in.
              Jelgate is right

Comment

We're talking about an explosion powerful enough to obliterate a planet. We've seen nuclear blasts that simple vaporize anything in their way, and that would only be 1/10000000000000000000000000000th of the power in the blast that destroyed the world the Icarus Base was situated on. The odds of a few layers of concrete being able to insulate the stargate are practically zero; the much more likely outcome is that the gate in question was simply destroyed instantly.

Besides, Rush was using the fear of a blast translating through the gate to Earth as a pretext to allow himself to dial the 9th chevron address; he may well have exaggerated the danger to satiate his own curiosity, after all, and may have known that the explosion would have vaporized the portal instantly.
                I can't accept that number with out proof, sir.
                The gate has proven resilient in the face of explosions and blast before even surviving the destruction of a planet previous to now circle a black hole.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  That is not nesciarrly true. While the mythos of a character is always nice its not essential to the plot. Regardless of that we did get to see mythos of what some character believed in.
                  Character, sir?

Comment

I can't accept that number with out proof, sir.
                    The gate has proven resilient in the face of explosions and blast before even surviving the destruction of a planet previous to now circle a black hole.
                    ...you mean the one in "The Pegasus Project"? That one was, without a doubt, dropped off by the good guys for the use of that event, since the gate would have been sucked into the singularity in "Beachhead" along with the rest of Kalana.
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Unfortunately, sir I have not seen consistent agreement on what defines a plot from multiple sources. If you have any they would be appreciated.
                      It's pretty simple; at it's most basic, a plot is a sequence of related events arranged in a logical manner.

That's it. Everything else has to do with narrative, style, theme, character, etc. But the 'plot' is the basic course of action of a story.

And I'm going to have to ask you to not call me 'sir' if only because I'm not male and it weirds me out. Please and thank you.
                      sigpic

Comment

You are entitled to your opinion, Lieutenant. Will there be anything further?
                        I don't think a definition of a plot is an opinion. It's a definition set in stone, and most writers across the world will tell you that the premiere had a plot.

Now whether or not the plot was good you can argue. But you can't argue that there wasn't a plot, because if you're right. Then what did I just watch?

I watched a plot unfold, I watched a progression of events that formed into a story, that's a plot. There's no higher understanding of it. A plot is the simplest concept there is. If you have an A, and a B, and you go from one to another, then you have a plot.
                        These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

...you mean the one in "The Pegasus Project"? That one was, without a doubt, dropped off by the good guys for the use of that event, since the gate would have been sucked into the singularity in "Beachhead" along with the rest of Kalana.
                          Well sir, they got the idea from the SG-1 episode "A matter of Time"
                          I believe that is the name. The planet was destroyed by the Black Hole.

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                          It's pretty simple; at it's most basic, a plot is a sequence of related events arranged in a logical manner.

That's it. Everything else has to do with narrative, style, theme, character, etc. But the 'plot' is the basic course of action of a story.

And I'm going to have to ask you to not call me 'sir' if only because I'm not male and it weirds me out. Please and thank you.
                          My apologies ma'am.

Colonel would you would say that the destruction of Icarus base was the Rise in Action or the Climax?

Comment

That stargate doesn't exist anymore, though...

Comment

My apologies ma'am.

Colonel would you would say that the destruction of Icarus base was the Rise in Action or the Climax?
                              The climax hasn't occured yet. The story has turned yet to where have a solution. The destruction of Icarus base would be exposition. Pilots tend to have more exposition then normal episodes. Take Rising. It was all exposition until the shield started to fail.
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

That stargate doesn't exist anymore, though...
                                Acknowledge, sir.
                                The gate did survive for quite some time, even to be used again in a different episode of SG-1.

Comment

Working...
                                X