Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    So basically... relationship status = complicated
    More like a love triangle

Comment

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
        What's the difference between this and licensed material?
        I can't really explain it, but I tend to agree with Shiner. Fan-made stuff, no matter how good it is, in my mind will never be the ''original''. Not only true for Sci-Fi, but for any show/movies/products in life in general.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Perhaps interesting to know if Tongal is going to be involved and how that might affect you as a participating creator or artist:

Apologies for the capslocked text, but it's literally copied from their official rules page -- see here.

YOU HEREBY IRREVOCABLY AND EXPRESSLY ASSIGN AND GRANT TO TONGAL IN PERPETUITY ALL RIGHTS OF ANY KIND AND NATURE THROUGHOUT THE UNIVERSE, INCLUDING ANY AND ALL COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADE SECRET, MORAL RIGHT, AND OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, IN AND TO SUCH ENTRY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE RIGHT TO EXPLOIT SUCH ENTRY AND THE RIGHT TO CREATE ANY VERSIONS OR DERIVATIVE WORKS OF SUCH ENTRY. TONGAL SHALL OWN ANY DERIVATIVE WORKS CREATED FROM THE ENTRIES.

Comment

Wow that’s some pretty hardcore legal lingo! My thing is I want a show runner and producers that have a vision and go forward. Falcon Horus is right when she says that fans can’t even agree on what they want for the show. Now some company is just going to take tidbits of fanfic and throw it out there with minimal budget. To me that seems like MGM is saying “we don’t want to work for this product, so just let the fans do the work and we’ll take the money.” Unless there is some bigger plan than this I’m pretty disappointed. I’ll hold out hope for more but won’t necessarily hold my breath. I hear that’s unsafe anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
              I can't really explain it, but I tend to agree with Shiner. Fan-made stuff, no matter how good it is, in my mind will never be the ''original''. Not only true for Sci-Fi, but for any show/movies/products in life in general.
              But all of it is fan-made. Even Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner created Stargate SG-1 because they were fans. All Star Trek shows, films, books, comics, and games after TOS were made by fans, especially after Gene Roddenberry passed away. The Walking Dead TV show was made because the people at AMC were fans of the comics. Game of Thrones was made because the people at HBO were fans of the books. Everything from Star Wars outside of the original and prequel trilogy is made by fans. The majority of the studios behind it, such as ILM, are staffed by people hired because they were fans.

The difference in quality and what is achieved depends on whether or not the fan is a professional who does this line of work for a living.

Comment

The difference in quality and what is achieved depends on whether or not the fan is a professional who does this line of work for a living.
                Which does not apply to the general stargate fan in the community.

Comment

While in general, I agree with Falcon Horus sentiment, I think it should also be in the hands of the creators (MGM) to decide if they want to open up the universe for sanctioned fan-made content, and I think it's in the hands of the individual fan-contributor if they want to contribute their hard work for little more than a chance to get noticed.

It's a really tough business to break into, and if a studio with a well-known name (i.e. MGM/Stargate) opens the door to have a fan take the next step to have a chance to become a pro, I generally think it's a good thing.

It has to be very well administered though.
                  Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Of course there has to be a lot of quality assurance here. Actually, let me get one thing straight, I'm intrigued by this announcement, but also very, very skeptical. The average fan should not touch something like this and be given the chance to participate and skip years of working your way up. Not much; very little; is known about what is going on here.

But that there is a chance that MGM is open for fans to become part of the Stargate universe, I'm for it.

I can't call myself a professional yet. I'm still learning a lot of stuff and don't yet have anything of value that shows that I'm a professional. But I am prepared to jump at a chance to work on Stargate in some way. And I'm doing a lot of stuff, mostly game-related, but also writing in general. And if there's anything anyone here and on SGC should know about me, it's that I'm 100% devoted to established canon and that I'm a walking "Stargatepedia" so I won't just go half-assed and make something up.

Comment

In order to work with Tongal, you need to have all your ducks in a row. Cross all your T's and dot all your I's. You need to be in order with tax-forms, have filled out all the official papers and you need to make sure you have to comply with local work laws.

The avarage fan is not a freelancer.

Comment

But all of it is fan-made. Even Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner created Stargate SG-1 because they were fans. All Star Trek shows, films, books, comics, and games after TOS were made by fans, especially after Gene Roddenberry passed away. The Walking Dead TV show was made because the people at AMC were fans of the comics. Game of Thrones was made because the people at HBO were fans of the books. Everything from Star Wars outside of the original and prequel trilogy is made by fans. The majority of the studios behind it, such as ILM, are staffed by people hired because they were fans.

I understand what you're saying, and I completely agree with you in regards to fan creation. What I meant is, for instance, SGU comics to finish up the SGU series. I won't even read them because imo, this is not the official ending to the story. I wasn't too thrilled either when the original SG movie producers announced they wanted to do new movies, which would've ignored the canon of the series. The show ran for too long for me to let go. But hey that's just me, everybody has their preferences.

As for any new project made by fans, I am totally willing to give it a go. But on the other hand, Stargate is my ''baby'' and I wouldn't want any series unless it is sanctioned by the original writers/producers aka Wright, Cooper, Mallozzi, etc. I definitely wouldn't want another flop such as SG infinity or poor quality content like Origins (sorry but it had to be said )
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

As for any new project made by fans, I am totally willing to give it a go. But on the other hand, Stargate is my ''baby'' and I wouldn't want any series unless it is sanctioned by the original writers/producers aka Wright, Cooper, Mallozzi, etc. I definitely wouldn't want another flop such as SG infinity or poor quality content like Origins (sorry but it had to be said )
                          But the chances of any of the guys returning are quite small. At some point you have to choose to either accept it and let go, or quit. I won't quit just yet. There is nothing wrong with letting someone else take a chance. But they would need to be a fan that shares the same vision as the guys.

If you're a fan of the shows (all of the Wright entourage shows) then you basically agree on the vision and if you stay with that then there's no problem. The problem begins when someone says they are a fan, but then everything they do contradicts that. That's what happened with Origins. How can they call themselves fans of the shows, then create garbage like that; and how can anyone who is a fan of the shows like Origins?

Comment

But the chances of any of the guys returning are quite small. At some point you have to choose to either accept it and let go, or quit. I won't quit just yet. There is nothing wrong with letting someone else take a chance. But they would need to be a fan that shares the same vision as the guys.

If you're a fan of the shows (all of the Wright entourage shows) then you basically agree on the vision and if you stay with that then there's no problem. The problem begins when someone says they are a fan, but then everything they do contradicts that. That's what happened with Origins. How can they call themselves fans of the shows, then create garbage like that; and how can anyone who is a fan of the shows like Origins?
                            Well I recall Mallozzi saying he would return if requested by MGM, but agreed the chances are slim if we consider all the problems they seemed to have with MGM management at the end of SGU.

In regards to fan projects, I might be reluctant, but I would give it a try and if a future project follows this vision, I would be 100% in. I guess I'm just ''hurt'' that Origins was literally crap when advertised otherwise.

I assume you're a writer yourself and wish you the best of luck if you give it a try! You can count on my support
                            Spoiler:

Comment

I assume you're a writer yourself and wish you the best of luck if you give it a try! You can count on my support
                              Is it that obvious?

I agree too that Origins really hurt. Maybe that's why I'm suddenly so much more passionate about this.

Comment

...and how can anyone who is a fan of the shows like Origins?
                                *raises hands*

I kinda liked it. It has many flaws, yes, and could have been far better but I liked it.
                                Then again, I went in with little to no expectations, other than that I kinda fell hook, line and sinker for Ellie Gall but I never expected to love those oddballs so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X