No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    Pale skinned people unite!!

So I saw Endgame today. It was great!! And yes, I did cry.
    *hugs you* Still debating whether or not to see it again. Not sure I can take it.

And what did you think of That Twist?

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    *raises hand* Another pale skin in the house. My dermatologist is on speed dial. Mr. SR also goes in once a year and has stuff removed from his bald head. The sun really is a bad word. Plus when we were kids nobody knew it was bad to lobsterize yourself.
    I accidentally lobsterized myself once when I was a kid. Once was more than enough. It HURT.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

*raises hand* Another pale skin in the house. My dermatologist is on speed dial. Mr. SR also goes in once a year and has stuff removed from his bald head. The sun really is a bad word. Plus when we were kids nobody knew it was bad to lobsterize yourself.
      I always got a sunburn when I went out with my sister. She used to lobsterize herself all the time. And now, despite not being pale, she's had several pre-cancerous spots removed from her face and back.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      *hugs you* Still debating whether or not to see it again. Not sure I can take it.

And what did you think of That Twist?
      *hugs back*

Spoiler:
      I lost it when they did a close up on Morgan after viewing Tony's hologram.

I'm happy that in some universe, Loki is alive and well. I loved his little wave to the Hulk when Hulk couldn't take the elevator. Loki's such a little sh*t.

I accidentally lobsterized myself once when I was a kid. Once was more than enough. It HURT.
      One time I got it so bad I had sun poisoning. Not pleasant.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday and Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

*hugs back*

Spoiler:
        I lost it when they did a close up on Morgan after viewing Tony's hologram.

I'm happy that in some universe, Loki is alive and well. I loved his little wave to the Hulk when Hulk couldn't take the elevator. Loki's such a little sh*t.
        I had a few
        Spoiler:
        sniffle moments throughout the movie, but when Pepper told Tony she and Morgan would be okay, that's when I lost it. Then I lost it again at the memorial wreath, then again at Morgan with Tony's hologram...I didn't bring nearly enough tissues.

As for Loki... The thinking over on Reddit seems to be that the Disney+ Loki series may be set in that new branch universe. That would be pretty darn awesome.

One time I got it so bad I had sun poisoning. Not pleasant.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday and Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!
          Yes, Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there, including moms to 4 legged creatures.

I had a few
          Spoiler:
          sniffle moments throughout the movie, but when Pepper told Tony she and Morgan would be okay, that's when I lost it. Then I lost it again at the memorial wreath, then again at Morgan with Tony's hologram...I didn't bring nearly enough tissues.
          Spoiler:

Yeah I started getting teary eyed with that moment with Pepper too. At least they handled it well in the movie. What the brothers have had to say since then, on the other hand...... how is a father's journey complete? Morgan deserved to grow up with a father.

Spoiler:

As for Loki... The thinking over on Reddit seems to be that the Disney+ Loki series may be set in that new branch universe. That would be pretty darn awesome.
          That would indeed be pretty darn awesome!!

Basically, add nausea, headache, light-headedness, and fever and chills to a normal sunburn.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Spoiler:

Yeah I started getting teary eyed with that moment with Pepper too. At least they handled it well in the movie. What the brothers have had to say since then, on the other hand...... how is a father's journey complete? Morgan deserved to grow up with a father.
            Yeah, you've seen the stuff I've been reblogging over on Tumblr. I swear, the more they say about That Stupid Thing, the more they're just digging themselves all the deeper. And that's before they even got to
            Spoiler:
            "explaining" the timeline shenanigans with Steve going back to Peggy. WTF?

Basically, add nausea, headache, light-headedness, and fever and chills to a normal sunburn.
            That is so very not good. *hugs you*

Comment

Is anyone else having problems selecting posts to reply to? It's been happening frequently to me over the past few weeks and some days I just give up.

The End Game conversation really makes me want to go watch it again, but as much as I wanted to race back to see it, the longer I've waited, the more I'm not sure I'm ready. It's been a hard spring with MCU and GOT ending. I feel like MCU tried to wrap it thoughtfully- I'm not saying there weren't a few gigantic misses- but GOT? I'm firmly in the hate section now of season 8. The phrase I can't even is overused and mostly annoys me, but man- I can't even with D&D/GOT. They need a woman writer at the table!!!! It's all giving me flashbacks to SGA.

Maybe it's time to revisit some favorite fanfic to cheer me up. Where are you all reading these days or finding the best new stories for varying fandoms?
              sigpic
              Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
                Is anyone else having problems selecting posts to reply to? It's been happening frequently to me over the past few weeks and some days I just give up.
                I didn't have trouble replying to you but I have several times recently when I check more than one post.
                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I can't reply with quote either.

Scary Kitty -
                  Spoiler:
                  Yeah, the whole Steve going back in time thing really didn't make any sense to me. Oh, and you can tell they have a huge boner where Steve is concerned. When he picked up the hammer I rolled my eyes.

Zandra's Ashes - the other thing I've seen on Tumblr is the almost universal hate for how they are ending GoT. I'm thinking it was good that I didn't get into it.

So I'm officially done with classes. Now I just have to wait to get my grades in. Time to start looking for a job. I'm taking today as an off-day to relax and chill before going head-first into the next thing.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

I didn't have trouble replying to you but I have several times recently when I check more than one post.
                    Huh, weird. I had no trouble replying to all three of you. Which I suppose means I'm about to get hit with whatever bug is causing it...

The End Game conversation really makes me want to go watch it again, but as much as I wanted to race back to see it, the longer I've waited, the more I'm not sure I'm ready. It's been a hard spring with MCU and GOT ending. I feel like MCU tried to wrap it thoughtfully- I'm not saying there weren't a few gigantic misses- but GOT? I'm firmly in the hate section now of season 8. The phrase I can't even is overused and mostly annoys me, but man- I can't even with D&D/GOT. They need a woman writer at the table!!!! It's all giving me flashbacks to SGA.

Maybe it's time to revisit some favorite fanfic to cheer me up. Where are you all reading these days or finding the best new stories for varying fandoms?
                    Scary Kitty -
                    Spoiler:
                    Yeah, the whole Steve going back in time thing really didn't make any sense to me. Oh, and you can tell they have a huge boner where Steve is concerned. When he picked up the hammer I rolled my eyes.

Zandra's Ashes - the other thing I've seen on Tumblr is the almost universal hate for how they are ending GoT. I'm thinking it was good that I didn't get into it.
                    I think both the MCU and GoT have equally blown it with the "wild middle-aged fanboy run amok" fantasies. What Endgame did to
                    Spoiler:
                    Tony and Steve shows an utter lack of understanding of their story arcs. The writers/directors got so fixated on Tony and Steve's parallel shifts between selfishness and selflessness that they failed to notice the equally important parallel between the two of needing to let go of their ghosts. And don't even get me started on Steve picking up the hammer.

As for GoT,
                    Spoiler:
                    while I think there have been a few hints all along that Dany might go into Mad Queen territory, this really came up too suddenly. We needed more buildup. And then there's Jaime's backslide. Ugh.

So I'm officially done with classes. Now I just have to wait to get my grades in. Time to start looking for a job. I'm taking today as an off-day to relax and chill before going head-first into the next thing.
                    Hooray! Congratulations on the end of classes and good luck on the job hunt!

Comment

As for GoT,
                      Spoiler:
                      while I think there have been a few hints all along that Dany might go into Mad Queen territory, this really came up too suddenly. We needed more buildup. And then there's Jaime's backslide. Ugh.
                      I am clearly not up-to-date on all the hate... However, I do feel that it's noticeable that they are wrapping it up too fast and that whomever decided on only 6 episodes should have his head smacked by a dragon's tail-end. Stuff are moving too fast, and as far as Dany goes...

Spoiler:
                      ...that's a turn I certainly didn't see coming and contradicts just about every character development which has happened across all 7 seasons. Yes, she's capable of doing cruel things to people but what she does at King's Landing, that's cold blooded vengeance and if she thinks fear willl make the people love her she should be reminded of what the people did to the last Targaryen who occupied the Iron Throne. His goose was cooked -- literally.

It's like Varys says: "When a Targaryen is born, a coin is flipped."
                      I think we all know now how that coin landed as far as Dany goes, and where Jon Snow stands as Aegon Targaryen.

My sister came round with a theory earlier today about how it will end...

Spoiler:
                      Remember the ravens Bran send out while he was napping during the battle of Winterfell...
                      Well she thinks he's rising an army for Jon to take his rightful place on the Iron Throne (even if he doesn't want it -- although after King's Landing he might think differently).

And Arya will kill Dany.

Also, the North won't bend the knee to another Targaryen sitting on the throne, but Jon is half/half -- Stark/Targaryen -- so that would solve that problem.

But we'll see how it ends...

...in any case, I have enjoyed season 8 so far (rushed as it is). I have especially loved the music and the epic cinematography. I mean, 805 was ... well... bloody ... but that scene with the horse at the end... That was so beautiful. Would make a very nice wallpaper on my desktop.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Ah, Game of Thrones. I kind of stopped caring after Season 3, and nearly every season after that made the show seem less and less interesting. And the ways things have gone this season, and the way everyone is up in arms, I feel like my decision was validated.

I'd probably be super pissed if I was still invested in the show, as opposed to just rolling my eyes and annoyed.

I saw Endgame a while back too. I thought it was mostly good. Although I did have my share of criticisms and confusions.

Spoiler:
                        I will say I was a little surprised about some of the endings. It wasn't a huge shock, but I kind of thought it was more likely that Cap and Tony's endings would have been essentially switched around. And yeah, I did spare a thought for Scary Kitty at the end. I kind of expected a little more from Tony and Pepper's final goodbye.

Steve lifting Thor's Hammer is from the comics though, and it was set up in Age of Ultron, so I think it was only natural they finally got around to that. I had thought for a while they weren't going to pay that off.

I actually thought what they did to Thor was the most egregious part of the film. It's really not cool to turn a traumatized character into the comic relief.

Although I generally liked Endgame more than GoT, I ended up seeing "The Long Night" the same day I got back from the movie, and in both cases I remember being taken aback by the low number of casualties.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I still couldn't select multiple posts today, but tried in Chrome incognito mode and it let me. Weird, but worth trying if anyone else is still having the issue.

Scary Kitty -
                          Spoiler:

CONGRATS!!!

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Huh, weird. I had no trouble replying to all three of you. Which I suppose means I'm about to get hit with whatever bug is causing it...

I think both the MCU and GoT have equally blown it with the "wild middle-aged fanboy run amok" fantasies. What Endgame did to
                          Spoiler:
                          Tony and Steve shows an utter lack of understanding of their story arcs. The writers/directors got so fixated on Tony and Steve's parallel shifts between selfishness and selflessness that they failed to notice the equally important parallel between the two of needing to let go of their ghosts. And don't even get me started on Steve picking up the hammer.

As for GoT,
                          Spoiler:

Exactly what you said. My emotions are too all over the place to articulate it well. I just want to rant. And what is this news that just came out- D&D are rushing off because of Star Wars?

Spoiler:
                          Jamie . He'd come so far and his friendship with Brienne was outstanding. I freaking loved those two. I shipped them, but didn't want to see it onscreen because I knew they wouldn't write it well. Why couldn't they have left well enough alone?

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          I am clearly not up-to-date on all the hate... However, I do feel that it's noticeable that they are wrapping it up too fast and that whomever decided on only 6 episodes should have his head smacked by a dragon's tail-end. Stuff are moving too fast, and as far as Dany goes...

Spoiler:
                          ...that's a turn I certainly didn't see coming and contradicts just about every character development which has happened across all 7 seasons. Yes, she's capable of doing cruel things to people but what she does at King's Landing, that's cold blooded vengeance and if she thinks fear willl make the people love her she should be reminded of what the people did to the last Targaryen who occupied the Iron Throne. His goose was cooked -- literally.

I think we all know now how that coin landed as far as Dany goes, and where Jon Snow stands as Aegon Targaryen.

Spoiler:
                          Remember the ravens Bran send out while he was napping during the battle of Winterfell...
                          Well she thinks he's rising an army for Jon to take his rightful place on the Iron Throne (even if he doesn't want it -- although after King's Landing he might think differently).

And Arya will kill Dany.

Also, the North won't bend the knee to another Targaryen sitting on the throne, but Jon is half/half -- Stark/Targaryen -- so that would solve that problem.

...in any case, I have enjoyed season 8 so far (rushed as it is). I have especially loved the music and the epic cinematography. I mean, 805 was ... well... bloody ... but that scene with the horse at the end... That was so beautiful. Would make a very nice wallpaper on my desktop.
                          That was a visually striking scene. I just can't get away from the fact that you absolutely have to watch the post-epps this year to shed some light on the madness. They shouldn't have to explain that much or clarify like they are. They just needed more episodes this season to give the story space to play out. I saw HBO and Martin were both supporting going up to 10 seasons, but D&D said they didn't need anymore time than these two short last seasons. Guess the Star Wars announcement casts that decision in another light.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                          Ah, Game of Thrones. I kind of stopped caring after Season 3, and nearly every season after that made the show seem less and less interesting. And the ways things have gone this season, and the way everyone is up in arms, I feel like my decision was validated.

I'd probably be super pissed if I was still invested in the show, as opposed to just rolling my eyes and annoyed.

I saw Endgame a while back too. I thought it was mostly good. Although I did have my share of criticisms and confusions.

Spoiler:
                          I will say I was a little surprised about some of the endings. It wasn't a huge shock, but I kind of thought it was more likely that Cap and Tony's endings would have been essentially switched around. And yeah, I did spare a thought for Scary Kitty at the end. I kind of expected a little more from Tony and Pepper's final goodbye.

Steve lifting Thor's Hammer is from the comics though, and it was set up in Age of Ultron, so I think it was only natural they finally got around to that. I had thought for a while they weren't going to pay that off.

I actually thought what they did to Thor was the most egregious part of the film. It's really not cool to turn a traumatized character into the comic relief.

Although I generally liked Endgame more than GoT, I ended up seeing "The Long Night" the same day I got back from the movie, and in both cases I remember being taken aback by the low number of casualties.
                          Spoiler:
                          Same on Steve and Tony- I thought Steve would be the one to die. I was actually impressed by how strong Pepper was for Tony, but would have liked to have seen something more heartfelt said.

And I may have missed if anyone mentioned this about End Game, but
                          Spoiler:
                          I still can't get over Natasha- how did they not know going in what would happen on Vormir? Nebula failed to mention what happened to Gamora? At least they could have had a joint funeral/memorial instead of skipping over Natasha's altogether.
                          sigpic

Comment

I still couldn't select multiple posts today, but tried in Chrome incognito mode and it let me. Weird, but worth trying if anyone else is still having the issue.

CONGRATS!!!

Exactly what you said. My emotions are too all over the place to articulate it well. I just want to rant. And what is this news that just came out- D&D are rushing off because of Star Wars?

Spoiler:
                            Jamie . He'd come so far and his friendship with Brienne was outstanding. I freaking loved those two. I shipped them, but didn't want to see it onscreen because I knew they wouldn't write it well. Why couldn't they have left well enough alone?

That was a visually striking scene. I just can't get away from the fact that you absolutely have to watch the post-epps this year to shed some light on the madness. They shouldn't have to explain that much or clarify like they are. They just needed more episodes this season to give the story space to play out. I saw HBO and Martin were both supporting going up to 10 seasons, but D&D said they didn't need anymore time than these two short last seasons. Guess the Star Wars announcement casts that decision in another light.

Spoiler:
                            Same on Steve and Tony- I thought Steve would be the one to die. I was actually impressed by how strong Pepper was for Tony, but would have liked to have seen something more heartfelt said.

And I may have missed if anyone mentioned this about End Game, but
                            Spoiler:
                            I still can't get over Natasha- how did they not know going in what would happen on Vormir? Nebula failed to mention what happened to Gamora? At least they could have had a joint funeral/memorial instead of skipping over Natasha's altogether.
                            On Endgame

Spoiler:
                            I think they must have known that Thanos killed Gamora on Vormir. But nobody knew the exact reason for that or the specific rules surrounding the taking of the Soul Stone. The only person who came away from there knowing the truth was Thanos, and he was already dead by that point in the story.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Me this morning: It's beautiful outside, let's be healthy. Takes long walk, temporarily forgets grievances on GOT and EndGame.
                              Also me: Eating entire pot of mac and cheese while scrolling through angry fan tweets. On the bright side I still have endorphins from walk so it's more entertaining than anger inspiring.

On Endgame

Spoiler:
                              I think they must have known that Thanos killed Gamora on Vormir. But nobody knew the exact reason for that or the specific rules surrounding the taking of the Soul Stone. The only person who came away from there knowing the truth was Thanos, and he was already dead by that point in the story.
                              Good point. There was something she said once that made me think she knew exactly what had happened, but I could have misread that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday! Had a busy busy day shopping and assorted errands from early to late yesterday and fell right into bed. Still tired.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And Arya will kill Dany.

Hmm, I'm still unsure about
                                Spoiler:
                                Jon sitting on the Iron Throne, but Arya killing Dany? After her personal story in 805 (that scene with the horse was ICONIC) and her rather obvious placement in the 806 teaser, I'm thinking yes. Of course, I suppose they could be setting up a red herring, but...

Yeah, this season is going way too fast. I had hopes that since the episodes were supposed to be longer, that it would give enough time, but then they came out with run times and I started having doubts. Just 80-ish minutes per episode isn't enough.

Spoiler:

Yeah, re: Endgame
                                Spoiler:
                                I also thought Steve and Tony's fates would be switched. It seemed like the more logical way to go, but evidently the writers/directors wanted to be edgy and subvert our expectations. Ugh, this is Marvel, guys, not Game of Thrones or DC.

Oh don't even get me started on Thor. I would've been much happier if they'd treated him the way Tony was treated in Iron Man 3; yes, that had moments of humor, but his issues were never turned into a joke like Thor's were. I will say I loved Thor's scene with Frigga in the past, though.

*snorts* My condolences to Star Wars fans.

Yeah, the post-ep features have been helpful in understanding what's going on, but you're right, it should be in the episode itself. They're breaking one of the cardinal rules of good storytelling: Show, don't tell.

Looking back, 10 seasons or even 9 would've been so much better.
                                Spoiler:
                                Make S7 the war against the dead, S8 the war to dethrone Cersei, S9 the final jockeying for position once the dust settles.

Me this morning: It's beautiful outside, let's be healthy. Takes long walk, temporarily forgets grievances on GOT and EndGame.
                                Also me: Eating entire pot of mac and cheese while scrolling through angry fan tweets. On the bright side I still have endorphins from walk so it's more entertaining than anger inspiring.
                                Heh! I've been working on an old unfinished fic from an old fandom, and finding it so much more satisfying than current fandom shenanigans have been. And good food helps too.

Comment

Working...
                                X