Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    85 million years ago, grass hadn't evolved yet.
    The booze is made from a wild sorgham so there is probably grass.

Comment

No, why would I be?
      Im still gonna have to go with your kidding right?
      Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
      McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
        Without concentration the upper limits on solar efficiency are very low (regardless of tech). There is absolutely no way a vehicle like that could be powered from the sun.
        We're in the infancy of solar power technology, and they've already created solar cells in research labs with percentage efficiencies in the low 40's. I figure with another 140 years of research they might even get the cost of such cells down to a reasonable level. After all, it's not like they're going to have a lot of oil and gas around until all those dinosaurs die off and fossilize and so forth, not to mention most internal combustion engines for such vehicles only work at an average of 18-20% efficiency even after being one of the most heavily used technologies of the last 100 and more years. Electric does seem to be a better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoLL's View Post
          We're in the infancy of solar power technology, and they've already created solar cells in research labs with percentage efficiencies in the low 40's. I figure with another 140 years of research they might even get the cost of such cells down to a reasonable level. After all, it's not like they're going to have a lot of oil and gas around until all those dinosaurs die off and fossilize and so forth, not to mention most internal combustion engines for such vehicles only work at an average of 18-20% efficiency even after being one of the most heavily used technologies of the last 100 and more years. Electric does seem to be a better idea.
          Link please. I'm in the power business and quite interested in any advances.

Comment

The booze is made from a wild sorgham so there is probably grass.
            Grass is only found in the fossil record about 67 million years ago, but didn't really take over until asteroid ELE. Before then he forest floor and open areas was covered in ferns and mosses. Still, it's only a minor gripe.

Originally posted by Steam View Post
            Im still gonna have to go with your kidding right?
            And I'm still gonna have to go with, no, why would I be? Do you have an explanation as to why everyone is either British or American (or Australian)? I know the production answer, I'd just like an in-story one. It seems a bit silly to me given the premise.

Comment

Grass is only found in the fossil record about 67 million years ago, but didn't really take over until asteroid ELE. Before then he forest floor and open areas was covered in ferns and mosses. Still, it's only a minor gripe.

And I'm still gonna have to go with, no, why would I be? Do you have an explanation as to why everyone is either British or American (or Australian)? I know the production answer, I'd just like an in-story one. It seems a bit silly to me given the premise.
              Well just maybe, JUST MAYBEEEE the few people we have seen are the top of there table? Come on not as if we have seen everyone. Also like you said for production Value. In stargate atlantis they had an "international" team but it didnt exactly differ from it mainly being US and Canada with a few Russian and UK people
              Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
              McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

You know they might have taken grass seeds through the portal
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steam View Post
                  Well just maybe, JUST MAYBEEEE the few people we have seen are the top of there table? Come on not as if we have seen everyone.
                  We've seen a hell of a lot of people, too many for there to be none from non-English speaking countries with a reason.

Also like you said for production Value. In stargate atlantis they had an "international" team but it didnt exactly differ from it mainly being US and Canada with a few Russian and UK people
                  It was fixed in Atlantis with flag patches. In Terra Nova there seems to be just lazily ignored. So far, anyway.

Zelenka was Czech, by the way...

Comment

We've seen a hell of a lot of people, too many for there to be none from non-English speaking countries with a reason.

It was fixed in Atlantis with flag patches. In Terra Nova there seems to be just lazily ignored. So far, anyway.

Zelenka was Czech, by the way...
                    Yuppers...he's one of my peeps!
                    sigpic

Comment

Link please. I'm in the power business and quite interested in any advances.
                      From a quick search,
                      http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2008/jul/solar072307.html

Looks as though DARPA is funding the research with a goal of pushing efficiencies past 50%

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                        You know they might have taken grass seeds through the portal
                        They seem to have plenty of wild sorgham to make booze from. Sorgham is really close to grass. Even if there wasn't grass there'd be something very close. Whose to say grass would even leave a fossil record?

Comment

Haha did anyone know the commander is the same guy from Avatar? And he even acts the same for the most part too hehe.

He's called "Action Man" on forums where i live.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoLL's View Post
                            From a quick search,
                            http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2008/jul/solar072307.html

Looks as though DARPA is funding the research with a goal of pushing efficiencies past 50%
                            That is optical concentration technology. That isn't the same as convential solar cells. I can concentrate sunlight and use it in a conventional plant and push 40% (if money is no object). The efficiency of cells using normal strength light will never even sniff 25% efficiency due to the restraints of physics.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                              Haha did anyone know the commander is the same guy from Avatar? And he even acts the same for the most part too hehe.

He's called "Action Man" on forums where i live.
                              That's amazing. You are the first person on the whole internet to notice that.

Comment

That's amazing. You are the first person on the whole internet to notice that.
                                Yay.... You discovered sarcasm........Have a cookie

Comment

Working...
                                X