Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Vala Mal Doran is not expected to appear in the next SG1 movie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Vala Mal Doran is not expected to appear in the next SG1 movie...

What do you guys think about this? Are you a massive Vala fan and hate this move, or does this come as a massive relief?

I'd like this thread to be a place that we can ALL discuss our views on whether Vala has a place in the new movie and what effect her absence will cause.

Simply put, all are welcome to discuss and argue their views.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Massive fan and it'l feel shoddy to have a one liner explaining her absence. She deserves to be given a part, as she is a member of the team, etc. See the fan thread for my full reasons.
    Cleary this thread is aimed at negativity, which as I recall, is frowned upon.

Comment

I'll paraphrase what I said in the oither thread.

I don't like Vala's character. I don't see any depth to her beyond being the sexy female alien who whinges to Daniel. A lot. I don't find her whining in critical situations as cute as others seem to.

On the other hand; she was a member of SG-1 s a regula through season 10 and in the proper timelines of both movies. They shouldn't really just drop her or emotionlessly kick her out the door the flimsiest of pretexts like Jonas.

I can sympathise with not wanting the character to play a major role in the movies, but she needs to at least appear enough in the 3rd movie to be sensibly written away out in a way that's respectful to the character.
      sigpic
      Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
        Massive fan and it'l feel shoddy to have a one liner explaining her absence. She deserves to be given a part, as she is a member of the team, etc. See the fan thread for my full reasons.
        Cleary this thread is aimed at negativity, which as I recall, is frowned upon.
        Excuse me. But I believe I said all are welcome. And incidentally negativity is not frowned upon. Character bashing is, but having an opinion opposite to be very happy about Vala being in the movie, is not negative. Besides. One could argue that people are being POSITIVE, becausse they're HAPPY Vala isn't in the movie.

But that's beside the point.

This thread is intended to be a discussion between people who do and do not want Vala in the new movie. It is NOT taking sides, hence I expressly lefy my opinion OUT of the original post. But its a place to allow some interesting discussion about Vala as a character as opposed to the other thread which is, due to the original posters wishes - entirely based on loving Vala to pieces. Contrary (not negative opinions) are not welcome there because it is a "Save Vala" thread. not a discussion.

This is a discussion.

Not everything which you do not agree with is 'negativity'.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know why she isn't appearing? I thought it might have something to do with her new baby, because if memory serves she was pregnent during production of both of the two previous movies and had a hard time filming them both. So maybe it was her own concious decision not to appear.

Comment

How do you know she's not appearing? Has Mallozzi or CB said something? Has there been an annoucement about who's in the next movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Sllimy View Post
              Does anyone know why she isn't appearing? I thought it might have something to do with her new baby, because if memory serves she was pregnent during production of both of the two previous movies and had a hard time filming them both. So maybe it was her own concious decision not to appear.
              It could very well be, all we know however is simply that Brad Wright said the next SG1 movie will not include her. This could of course change, but that's as far as we know.

It would make sense though, if it was related to her child.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

BW said in his blog quite clearing "Vala will not be appearing in the third SG1 movie"
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=62656
                See this link for the thread that explains it and to support fans of Vala.

Comment

I can sympathise with not wanting the character to play a major role in the movies, but she needs to at least appear enough in the 3rd movie to be sensibly written away out in a way that's respectful to the character.
                  Brad Wright didn't say that Vala would never be in another movie, he said that she wouldn't be in this one. The aren't going to pay an actor's salary just to have them go "Bye, I'm off to such-and-such a place", and if it's more than that, well, they're in the movie... If folks push for a complete resolution of the Vala character, they may find her written out entirely-not that I have any idea if they plan on bringing her back in the future. Still, there's a possibility that she might come back now.

Comment

shes prob off stealing something lol

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                      BW said in his blog quite clearing "Vala will not be appearing in the third SG1 movie"
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=62656
                      See this link for the thread that explains it and to support fans of Vala.
                      Indeed.

Now I know there's not much incentive for the Vala fans to discuss here when there's another thread where they don't have to worry about dealing with opposing views but, it really would be nice if we could get both views in here, as I really don't want this to become the 'Anti' thread, with the other being the 'Pro' thread.

Now my personal view, and please, if you disagree TELL ME, is that this is no big deal. Vala has only been around since S9 properly, and only as a team member since S10. Her story arc was directly linked in to the Ori, similar to Teal'c with the Goa'uld, but Vala hasn't spent 8 years working with the SGC to warrant her sticking around. The fact Vala decided to help Ba'al's host at the end of Continuum suggested to me that she thinks she's found something she can devote herself to. Afterall, with the fight against the Ori over, is there much incentive for her to be part of an Earth military unit exploring the galaxy? She's SEEN the galaxy.

And as pointed out in a previous post, this doesn't mean her story is over, just that THIS particular story has no need of her - which makes sense considering that the main SG1 characters Carter, O'Neill, Mitchell and Jackson are all on USAF payroll and can be posted where ever they're needed (sans Jackson for the latter). Teal'c is the only anomaly really, and considering that he returned to the Jaffa nation at the end of S8, I wouldn't be surprised if that's where he is now.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                        I'll paraphrase what I said in the oither thread.

I don't like Vala's character. I don't see any depth to her beyond being the sexy female alien who whinges to Daniel. A lot. I don't find her whining in critical situations as cute as others seem to.
                        I can see your opinion when it comes to Season 9...but not in Season 10. She may still have a bit of bluster and attitude, but mostly she enjoys herself and is both affectionate and protective of her team. I think what happened with Tomin and Adria scared her straight, in a sense—she's hardly selfish or overtly sexual at all in Season 10.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        Now my personal view, and please, if you disagree TELL ME, is that this is no big deal. Vala has only been around since S9 properly, and only as a team member since S10. Her story arc was directly linked in to the Ori, similar to Teal'c with the Goa'uld, but Vala hasn't spent 8 years working with the SGC to warrant her sticking around. The fact Vala decided to help Ba'al's host at the end of Continuum suggested to me that she thinks she's found something she can devote herself to. Afterall, with the fight against the Ori over, is there much incentive for her to be part of an Earth military unit exploring the galaxy? She's SEEN the galaxy.
                        Has she seen the galaxy? Has anyone? SG-1 has been to hundreds of planets, but they still want to see more; SG-1 went to planets where Vala hadn't gone. She seems to have the exploring gene, with more of a bent towards treasure-hunting, granted, but she doesn't seem to object to SG-1's style.

But the one thing I really can't quite understand about your point of view is how Ba'al's host could somehow be more important to SG-1 for her. First of all, I never understood her to be staying permanently, just skipping the team lunch. But aside from that, do you remember Morpheus, Memento Mori, and Dominion? She was heartbroken when she thought they didn't trust her in the beginning; that trust was almost her strongest memory in her amnesia; and she fell apart when she thought she had lost it again. Apart from her desire to explore other planets (see the end of AOT for the most obvious example), she seems to have found her family with SG-1.

And that's the one thing that has me upset about this change. She may have attitude, but it's clearly a cover like Jack's "stupidity", and I see Vala as loving and needing all of SG-1. So there had better be an extremely solid reason for not seeing her with the rest of them in the third movie, or I won't be convinced that BW can write character well.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                        ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Well I remember them saying it would be hard to get all the actors together for future movies and Continuum may be the last time we see them all together for the simple sake of actor schedules. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue on Claudia's end. In which case, I don't really mind (I'm certainly not happy about it though) as I've been prepared for news like this. I hate to see anyone cut out or not be available for filming, but it was only a matter of time before it happened.

Comment

for me, it depends on the movie plot. If the writers want to do an original SG-1 team story, so, the original 4, carter, jack, daniel, teal'c, then i don't think there's a need for Vala or Mitchell. I would like them to be mentioned in the movie, like "oh, Vala's off stealing a cargo ship, mitchell's kicking' sheppard's ass in socom"...kinda like that. but right now, i don't feel so angry about it.

Comment

I think there have been hints of trouble for a while concerning Claudia and the production, for those like me with suspicious minds. She wasn't in any of the promotional pictures for the movies (granted, she was pregnant, but could they not have done some head-shots?), she wasn't at the Continuum premiere in Vancouver, and BW didn't mention Vala as necessary to the franchise in that interview months ago. So I'm not surprised by this news. I think there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we only get glimpses of! Sorry I ended that sentence with a preposition.

For me, Jack's relationship with Daniel is similar but more compelling than Vala's relationship with Daniel. I liked Vala in S9/10 and the movies, but as long as there is good Jack and Daniel interaction in the 3rd movie, I'll be okay with her not being there.

Comment

Working...
                              X