This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
    Skywalker's? are we not done with them yet?

We should be, there is so much more to the-canon- story of Star Wars then one dysfunctional family
    The "Episode" films are the Skywalker saga, which is really all George Lucas ever wanted to tell -- they're very much the core of this entire franchise. But in any case, this is the last of the Skywalker-centric films.

and, now that it has been confirmed, the "fact" that Anakin was indeed created and seeded into Shmi by Palpaltine using the force, just tells me that the Skywalkers have been nothing but pawns for the Sith
    Confirmed? It wasn't even "confirmed" in the old Expanded Universe. It was implied in the Legends book "Darth Plagueis," but the Expanded Universe was wiped away and has zero bearing on the new canon.

and what is Han's real last name anyhow? JJ and crew just dont drop stuff like that into scripts for no reason. Solo could have just gone on being Han's real family name and no one needed to have any changes... so, is Kylo maybe a "who knows who" and a Skywalker?
    He doesn't have one...and JJ Abrams had nothing to do with the Solo movie.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

thats why I said "JJ and crew"

the confirmation of Palpatine creating Anakin, in canon, is here. Darth Vader #25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWf77Aq-LOI

this new group of SW's tptb's, imo, are a bit lazy. first they discard the EU then they have been picking and choosing items from it and bringing them into canon. They have done this often since REBELS and EP 7, SOLO and ROGUE ONE

i dont have a problem with it per se, it is just a bit..what word? dishonest, to first 'outlaw' a character or event from quasi canon then take that person's work and make it canon to fit they way tptbs want it too

sorry, this is just a quick reply and probably doesn't make sense

Comment

As usual, morons on YouTube are misreading things and misleading otherwise well-intentioned folks...

That entire issue was blatantly just dark side visions twisting reality and the truth. Very little of that issue is meant literally, that least of all. If anything, that sequence is implying that Sidious is Vader's "father," in that he sired Vader the Sith, not Anakin the human boy.
        Last edited by DigiFluid; 20 April 2019, 08:09 AM.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          The "Episode" films are the Skywalker saga, which is really all George Lucas ever wanted to tell -- they're very much the core of this entire franchise. But in any case, this is the last of the Skywalker-centric films.

He doesn't have one...and JJ Abrams had nothing to do with the Solo movie.
          yes, Lucas did set out to do that-the story of a family, good vs evil,etc. but he gave up when he sold out didn't he?

as for Han's name, well even if he didn't know his true surname, there are two people who were his biological parents. their names/families is what I was getting at. I mean why even bring up the subject of his name in SOLO? Why not just leave it alone, no one was questioning the name that I know of. It was just something TPTB's thought would give the film more "edge" or whatever

the whole thing was like a checklist; where did Han-- get his blaster? check! get the falcon? check! meet Chewie? check! why did he refer to the falcon as "She"? check!

i love the concept of the anthology films, just don't see any reason why they chose to use Han and Lando other then for name recognition. there more 'important' story in SOLO was the one about the crime syndicates and how each one portrayed played their role in supporting either the empire or the rebels. As well as the tangential one of Maul

Comment

As usual, morons on YouTube are misreading things and misleading otherwise well-intentioned folks...

That entire issue was blatantly just dark side visions twisting reality and the truth. Very little of that issue is meant literally, that least of all. If anything, that sequence is implying that Sidious is Vader's "father," in that he sired Vader the Sith, not Anakin the human boy.
            everything put out in the new canon has been approved by DISNEY/Lucas arts

and the method shown for this (the world between worlds) is not "visions". the same method was shown in REBELS when Ezra entered into it in real time and saved Ahsoka from Vader.

that is all canon

and the issue of Anakin's creation-- there are more sources then just the videos on YT, there are dozens all referring to this and all stating that it is confirmed as canon by disney/lucasarts. just do a search under "did palpatine create anakin?"

here is another site: https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2018/...anakin-father/

and here is Pablo Hidalgo's tweet on the subject. in it he assents to the "fact" that Palpatine is the "father":
            https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/sta...-into-canon%2F

it is just following through on Qui Gon's initial instincts/results of tests that he did on Anakin when he believed he was perhaps created by the force due to the heavy presence of midi-chlrorians

the Skywalkers are the ultimate triumph for the Sith. A family that believes itself to be on the side of "good". Only to be used by Palpaltine to accomplish things he could not do outright- lie do away with the empire and all the bureaucracy and corruption he foresaw it would have

He uses the Skywalkers to effect a type of clean slate for him upon his return-- if in fact he is actually returning in EP 9,in whatever way TPTBs can conjure up

given JJ's canon shaking record with projects like star trek, hell, we may be told that Palpatine is actually a Skywalker (as in a unknown relative of Shmi) and it ishe who is 'rising'

but as i said before-- yea! for it coming out! the faster the better and the sooner we can be done with this family

Comment

yes, Lucas did set out to do that-the story of a family, good vs evil,etc. but he gave up when he sold out didn't he?

as for Han's name, well even if he didn't know his true surname, there are two people who were his biological parents. their names/families is what I was getting at. I mean why even bring up the subject of his name in SOLO? Why not just leave it alone, no one was questioning the name that I know of. It was just something TPTB's thought would give the film more "edge" or whatever

the whole thing was like a checklist; where did Han-- get his blaster? check! get the falcon? check! meet Chewie? check! why did he refer to the falcon as "She"? check!

i love the concept of the anthology films, just don't see any reason why they chose to use Han and Lando other then for name recognition. there more 'important' story in SOLO was the one about the crime syndicates and how each one portrayed played their role in supporting either the empire or the rebels. As well as the tangential one of Maul
              Yes but you aren’t necessarily going to get people to go to the cinema without that name recognition. Even Rogue One was marketed with a huge focus that people would get to see Vader again and the buzz had a lot to do with the Death Star and how it all looked and felt like A New Hope all over again.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Solo but the name thing was something I like because it makes sense. I mean Lucas chose the name Solo in the first place because Han was this loner that didn’t get on with anybody except Chewie and they just made a little nod to that. We don’t need to know his parents are. BEcause it doesn’t have an impact on the story. His story doesn’t begin until the moment he got away from Correlia and joined the Empire. That’s the significance of the Impirial Officer giving him his name in the first place.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Lots to unpack here....

What Vader sees, and the World Between Worlds, look similar, but they are not the same thing.
                • Vader's actual body never goes anywhere, it's left on the ground outside the 'portal' while his 'spirit' goes into the realm. This is not at all what happens to Ezra -- Ezra physically travels into the World Between Worlds, and sees doorways that would actually allow him to travel through to events that are happening. The dark side realm does nothing of the kind.
                • The dark side realm shows him personally fighting all of the Jedi at the Temple -- that never happened. Some of the Jedi depicted weren't at the Temple when the Order came down. Some of them were already dead.
                • The dark side realm shows Sidious and Obi-Wan battling, which never happened
                • The dark side realm shows Sidious and Obi-Wan side by side with "I am your father" in between the two, clearly implying that each of them is a father figure in the life of Anakin Skywalker

What a bunch of fan sites say doesn't mean jack.

Regarding Pablo, there are a few separate issues there.
                1. What's in Episode III is only ever an implication. And an implication that Plagueis had something to do with his conception, not Sidious.
                2. Pablo specifically refers to the "peculiar POV of the comic," alluding to the unreliability of what's depicted
                3. The photo he attaches comes from the Making of Episode III book, which, shortly after that section, specifies that George Lucas cut the dialogue. Meaning, it was something Lucas considered, but then decided to discard -- so it's not a factual part of the universe
                4. Palpatine is the supreme liar of this universe
                5. Pablo on Twitter is something of an unreliable source for proving/disproving anything Star Wars. He is indeed part of the Story Group in real life, but he's expressed a clear dislike for constantly being asked questions about SW and spent most of the last year and a half either ignoring them or giving trolly replies. I mean, his 2017-18 new years resolution was to draw and tweet a new Transformer every day of the year (and he's a pretty good artist too). So it's important to know to take his Twitter replies with a grain of salt.

All that said...if it turns out Episode IX says that's what happened, then that's what happened! Cool!

But until then, it's nonsense from people who are bad at telling the difference between literalism and implication.
                Last edited by DigiFluid; 20 April 2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

with Han's name-- yes I agree, bt with JJ's bag of tricks and what he pulls out of it, any kind of buffoonery is possible

i agree with the name recognition as a draw for the casual SW's fans

but did they really have to put R2 and 3PO in Rogue One? arrghhh!!!

Comment

yup

we will just have to wait to see what we will see
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                    note-- if I come off as aggressive I do not mean it.. i am a product of a dog eat dog sci fi fan site that I have been using for a very long time now

yes, my fault for staying there so long

so, sorry for my coarseness, it is not my intent, it is just more like a automatic state of mind from that experience

thanks!

Comment

but did they really have to put R2 and 3PO in Rogue One? arrghhh!!!
                      Well they have been in all the Star Wars episodes, except "Solo - A Star Wars story" I think. It was only a cameo appearance and I think it would not be the same without them. Solo was not the same, which proves my point.
                      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                        Well they have been in all the Star Wars episodes, except "Solo - A Star Wars story" I think. It was only a cameo appearance and I think it would not be the same without them. Solo was not the same, which proves my point.
                        Agreed. It's one of the biggest Star Wars traditions to have them in. I mean in manyI've always thought of them as the narrators of the franchise. At least for episodes I through VI. Sooner or later they won't be able to be in all the movies but I'd still like little nods to them. Maybe another Protocol and R2 Droid always knocking around in the background somewhere.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

i have no desire to see any more Skywalkers, Palpatines, Solo's, R2 D2 or C3PO

Get this story done and get them packing!

they are continually re-using these characters for the name recognition for ticket sales and for other marketing-like toys.

so many other stories that could be told! i hope we see some in the future

Comment

rumor-- started by story board artists--that Ezra Bridger will at elast be mentioned and a statue of him shown in this film

I could definitely stand more Ezra! Would like to see that story (of him and Thrawn lost on that Imperial Destroyer) depicted or at least desribed.

thoughts?

remember this is JJ--the destroyer of Favorite Star Trek worlds and the master of "it was all a dream" type of endings. So anything is possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vA2D-I3Skc

Comment

I'll be thrilled when the future films, for which writers/directors have already been hired, start exploring other parts of the galaxy.

For this, it would be stupid to do anything but what they're doing. It would be like having the final episode of Deep Space Nine be about a bunch of Betazoid poker players and feature none of the core cast or the story-in-process. Sure it could be interesting as its own thing, but not as the closing chapter of an ongoing story.

Comment

I'll be thrilled when the future films, for which writers/directors have already been hired, start exploring other parts of the galaxy.

For this, it would be stupid to do anything but what they're doing. It would be like having the final episode of Deep Space Nine be about a bunch of Betazoid poker players and feature none of the core cast or the story-in-process. Sure it could be interesting as its own thing, but not as the closing chapter of an ongoing story.
                                You mean like the end of Enterprise?
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X