No announcement yet.

Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens.Spoilers/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When new films were first announced, before we knew what they would be about, Evangeline Lilly asked to be cast as young Leia.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You think she'd make a good Lea?
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Possibly. Maybe not young like teen, but in the era between Jedi and TFA she might be able to pull it off. When she’s playing Hope van Dyne, Evangeline Lilly has a certain undefinable fire to her that could possibly work as Leia.

I’m not saying I love the idea, but I don’t hate it either.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've never really given any thought as to who else could play her. Though that you mention it, It'd be interesting to see teenage pre-A New Hope Leia.
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
            I've never really given any thought as to who else could play her. Though that you mention it, It'd be interesting to see teenage pre-A New Hope Leia.
            In what kind of story setting? We know she's born in SW III, next film appearance is Rogue One, just before ANH. And she's pretty young in those films. She wouldn't have had time to rise very far in the ranks of the rebellion at that age. I don't want to see some movie about a pre or barely teenager Leia.

I have no problem accepting another actress in the role for the period of time between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens; you have to in a franchise that is this long lived.

But out of respect for Carrie Fisher, I think they ought to write an off-screen death for her after the events of The Last Jedi.

Comment

She turned up for episodes of Rebels and Forces of Destiny (in animated form, obviously), and had a whole book about her becoming involved with the Rebellion. I don’t know anything about teenage actors though, so I have no idea who might play a live-action teenage Leia.

Comment

that would be fascinating if the Lars are kenobis cousins.... just saying they werent slaves yet they were fairly rich to own any land and be able to buy someones freedom etc... who knows maybe they were richer and more connected then imagined and just happen to choose to live in the boondocks for protection? perhaps they even had a deal with the hutts to protect them, and the empire or someone else killed them in star wars episode IV unrelated to the search for droids... now that would be the fantastical timing etc

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  In what kind of story setting? We know she's born in SW III, next film appearance is Rogue One, just before ANH. And she's pretty young in those films. She wouldn't have had time to rise very far in the ranks of the rebellion at that age. I don't want to see some movie about a pre or barely teenager Leia.

I have no problem accepting another actress in the role for the period of time between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens; you have to in a franchise that is this long lived.

But out of respect for Carrie Fisher, I think they ought to write an off-screen death for her after the events of The Last Jedi.
                  Not necessarily. Take the following into consideration...

Padme was an "apprentice legislator" at the age of 8, and a junior senatorial advisor before she was 12 at which point she became an administrator for the capital city. She was elected (that means she ran for and won) as queen of Naboo by around 14 years of age. And of course, it wasn't uncommon for young people to be so politically active in Naboo. Grant it, a lot of the work when she was queen was done by her Prime Minister but she still held and wielded authority. Another caveat is that the Naboo tended to favor electing young women/girls but if I remember correctly there have been exceptions to that. . Throughout the clone wars she was between 24 and 37 but by then she had a pretty busy and active life...and she did that without the Force.

Leia was trained in martial arts at around 16 and a Galactic Senator by the age of 19. One doesn't simply start as a Senator in Imperial Galactic Senate without doing anything of note beforehand. Before that she was Organa's aid and had a misadventure of her own (the book DigiFluid mentioned) as well as a mission or two tied to the rebellion. She has the Force...so there's plenty of room during her time as a Senator or before that for a few more missions/misadventures.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  She turned up for episodes of Rebels and Forces of Destiny (in animated form, obviously), and had a whole book about her becoming involved with the Rebellion. I don’t know anything about teenage actors though, so I have no idea who might play a live-action teenage Leia.
                  I read that book, I really liked it. The Rebels appearance was...okay I guess. It was nice to see her though.

I found this list. (Click Link Here) TBH though, I am not so sure about Billie Lourd. I mean, yeah she looks like her but it feels off, the thought of it. I guess because I haven't heard of anyone playing the same character their parent had, much less a deceased parent.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

I would say no to Billie just because she's already playing a character in the sequel trilogy, so it would be...a little weird. And I think at this point she's probably aged out of being able to play a 16-year-old.

Millie Bobby Brown might work, even though the only thing I've seen her in is Stranger Things.

Comment

Leia was trained in martial arts at around 16 and a Galactic Senator by the age of 19. One doesn't simply start as a Senator in Imperial Galactic Senate without doing anything of note beforehand. Before that she was Organa's aid and had a misadventure of her own (the book DigiFluid mentioned) as well as a mission or two tied to the rebellion. She has the Force...so there's plenty of room during her time as a Senator or before that for a few more missions/misadventures.
                      Or influential friends in high places.
                      As I recall, Her adoptive father was Sen. Bail Organa, he would certainly have had some strings available for him to pull.

Comment

Or influential friends in high places.
                        As I recall, Her adoptive father was Sen. Bail Organa, he would certainly have had some strings available for him to pull.
                        Knowing Leia, her connection to the Force, and Bail Organa's Idealism...do you really think that's how it went down? It didn't go down like that, don't forget, the movies aren't the only canon. She did have to prove herself to keep the title of Princess, and that she did and it wasn't easy. She did get herself involved with the rebellion and in A New Hope she did show that she wasn't simply someone who got things handed to her. She rescued Luke et al as much as they rescued her, remember?

Now, did it hurt that she was the daughter of a well known senator and a member state's queen? No, it didn't, it did open up doors. But she had to work to walk through them.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Knowing Leia, her connection to the Force, and Bail Organa's Idealism...do you really think that's how it went down? It didn't go down like that, don't forget, the movies aren't the only canon. She did have to prove herself to keep the title of Princess, and that she did and it wasn't easy. She did get herself involved with the rebellion and in A New Hope she did show that she wasn't simply someone who got things handed to her. She rescued Luke et al as much as they rescued her, remember?

Now, did it hurt that she was the daughter of a well known senator and a member state's queen? No, it didn't, it did open up doors. But she had to work to walk through them.
                          I never said Leia wasn't a worthy hero, she was pivotal in the Rebellion's success at many times. I'm just saying without the family connections, she may have gone unnoticed. The world of Star Wars is not a squeaky clean place; politics are clearly as corrupt there as they are in the real world, so real world rules apply. There is a very old saying that goes along the lines of "heroism doesn't count unless someone sees it."

Of course, this is all conjecture, since her childhood and early life are not yet chronicled in the films.

I know there are a lot of things that happen in books, some are considered canon, some not. The only novels I've read are the Jedi Academy trilogy and the Thrawn trilogy, along with one or two loose books, and this was 20? years ago. I simply don't have time to keep up with all forms of this franchise. These days I wouldn't have had time to read those, either.

So I pretty much have to source from the films.

Comment

I never said Leia wasn't a worthy hero, she was pivotal in the Rebellion's success at many times. I'm just saying without the family connections, she may have gone unnoticed. The world of Star Wars is not a squeaky clean place; politics are clearly as corrupt there as they are in the real world, so real world rules apply. There is a very old saying that goes along the lines of "heroism doesn't count unless someone sees it."

Of course, this is all conjecture, since her childhood and early life are not yet chronicled in the films.

I know there are a lot of things that happen in books, some are considered canon, some not. The only novels I've read are the Jedi Academy trilogy and the Thrawn trilogy, along with one or two loose books, and this was 20? years ago. I simply don't have time to keep up with all forms of this franchise. These days I wouldn't have had time to read those, either.

So I pretty much have to source from the films.
                            Everything Post Disney is considered Canon now, for better or for worse. Everything outside of movies and clone wars cartoon Pre Disney is no longer canon. Like I said, I am sure having the family she had helped, but she proved herself still.

Rey is the one who is supposed to be the nobody everyday person...except for the whole Force thing.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Everything Post Disney is considered Canon now, for better or for worse. Everything outside of movies and clone wars cartoon Pre Disney is no longer canon. Like I said, I am sure having the family she had helped, but she proved herself still.

Rey is the one who is supposed to be the nobody everyday person...except for the whole Force thing.
                              Disney, of course, has the right to do whatever they want with their property. But I still consider Thrawn's trilogy just as much a part of the fabric of the franchise as any of the films. It fits, it gels with the rest of the storylines so I'm good with it.

Comment

Disney, of course, has the right to do whatever they want with their property. But I still consider Thrawn's trilogy just as much a part of the fabric of the franchise as any of the films. It fits, it gels with the rest of the storylines so I'm good with it.
                                Apart from the birth of the solo twins in Last Command but yeah otherwise I agree.
                                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X