• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Watchers On The Wall (409)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON FOUR
    THE WATCHERS ON THE WALL
    EPISODE NUMBER - 409
    The Night's Watch attempts to defend Castle Black from the Wildling army, though the odds are stacked heavily against them. As Sam tries to keep Gilly safe, Jon Snow comes face-to-face with the woman he betrayed.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 15 June 2014, 08:49 PM.

Quite the battle. Can't say there was anything thrilling, beyond Ghost finally getting out...and where did he go? I'd have thought Jon would have taken him with him.

This was rather anticlimactic.
    Next week will be the gobsmack.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah this was an excuse to kill off some characters that I am sorry to see go. I thought it was pretty predictable, but I enjoyed it much more than last week. I must say that the one thing I didn't predict was that Slynt didn't do something to Gilly. I totally thought Sam was going to find out that Slynt did something to her and he would kill Slynt.

I thought it was pretty anticlimactic when Ghost was let out. It was like 'Here-We-Go' and then it ended up kind of 'Meh'.

I did think this episode looked awesome.

The only things I could think at the end were Ghost is gone AGAIN and now Jon Snow is going to have to do what he should have done when he first met Mance. I kept thinking when he first met Mance that he totally blew an opportunity to try to be a bridge between the two sides. Now that is what he is going to have to become because I doubt they are going to kill Jon off and I hope they don't think it is plausible that Jon's plan would work.

So what I don't like is that now there is a possibility of a huge cliffhanger next week. It seems foolish to me for a show such as this to do big cliffhangers because the info is out there in the books and most viewers would probably hear any big spoilers in the year (OUCH) until next season. All I know is this Tyrion business had better get resolved. I just finished watching season one with someone and if the story is crazy enough to kill him off then I am not even going to bother getting them into season two. They didn't care for season one all that much so there is no reason to try to continue to get them into the show if the best character doesn't make it to the end. This instance would also end up saving me some money on the season four Blu-Ray release.

Comment

I actually adored this episode. Love me some Jon Snow and the other boys on the Wall, even that annoying and stubborn Ser Alliser (I love the conflict he creates) and it was very gratifying to see Slynt hide like a coward.

In the books I practically devoured the stuff about the Wall, so I couldn't recall who died and who didn't - I was so sad to see Pyp get arrowed! And the other one whose name I've forgotten, who held the gate. I was kinda hoping that maybe they'd let him live...

Ollie was adorable, though; first too afraid to move and then in the end he's the one who saved Jon from Ygritte! I'm not sure if he was in the books but I do recall there being a young boy from Molestown (I think?) who joined them and turned out be an asset for such a young thing - I'm thinking that's Ollie in the show.

Some great special effects too with all the killing and the scythe/ice! Mammoths and giants were pretty cool as well.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I loved this one too. Loved seeing Jon get into the action and kill that Thenn guy. Loved seeing Sam awkwardly kiss Gilly and promise to come back. Loved seeing Jon hold Ygritte for the last time after trying to tell Sam what it was like to love somebody. Loved seeing that leader guy try to justify letting his ego keep him from listening to Jon's good advice when he had the chance. Loved the battle and episode as a whole, but didn't like seeing Sam and Jon's friends getting killed but that's a part of war. Can't wait for next week.

sigpic

Comment

I loved the ep as well. The Jon Snow/Wall storyline is basically my favorite part of the books, and I'm glad it got attention this ep. I thought the battle looked great. I love Ghost, I'm glad we got to see him again, if only for a little bit. I wish they showed the dire wolves more (I don't care how expensive the cgi is lol ). Pyp and Grenn dying on the show was sad, I wish they'd stuck around longer.

I'm really looking forward to the season finale next week.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              I love Ghost, I'm glad we got to see him again, if only for a little bit. I wish they showed the dire wolves more (I don't care how expensive the cgi is lol ). Pyp and Grenn dying on the show was sad, I wish they'd stuck around longer.

I'm really looking forward to the season finale next week.
              It is so true that the CGI budget is why we don't see more of the wolves. Having said that I love that they went all out on this episode with everything else. I said it before, I think this episode just looked awesome top to bottom and I watched it with a weak internet signal, so that is saying something.

Yeah, Pyp and Grenn will be missed.

Having not read the books I am dreading next week.

Comment

I enjoyed watching this episode. Having read the books I was interested to see how it translated onto the small screen. And it translated well in my opinion.

Sam and Gilly... About time.. Is all I have to say.

Roll on next week...!
                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                To thy own self... Be true
                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

An episode dedicated to Castle Black was a bold choice, and it was technically very well done. I mean the cinematography, battle choreography, effects, etc. (How about that "scythe," eh?). It was often like seeing a big-budget movie made for the small screen.

I liked it, so don't jump on me when I say I didn't like it as much as most other episodes this season. I just happen to enjoy following the myriad storylines, jumping from thread to thread. I'm not saying they should have done anything differently, but I enjoyed other episodes more.

Ygritte's death didn't have the impact I anticipated. I've seen her brutally murder too many unarmed civilians. I didn't much like her anymore. (Sparing Gilly & the baby wasn't enough to redeem her in my eyes.) Since I didn't much care that she died, the dramatic weight must come from her death's impact on others. Her death was awful for Jon, but there was little time for us viewers to experience Jon's hurt. Jon and the viewers are plunged back into battle. For comparison, I was positively delighted to see Joffrey go. He richly deserved it. That alone brought some dramtic weight to the event, but the real gravitas came from the consequences for those around him. Return now to Ygritte's death. I was neither glad nor particulary sad that Ygritte died. It's only through Jon that I will care, but Jon's gotta fight.

Comment

I agree. I was a little surprised that it happened then, but I knew it was coming and I wasn't upset to see the character go. I'm sad to see Rose Leslie go, but not her character. I do feel that Jon could have handle the situation when they were together better, but that isn't how the story was supposed to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X