No announcement yet.

SGU without Chloe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't believe there is such a thing as a boring character, just unimaginary writers. Anyone from any background can be made fascinating if the writers are committed to the character and/if they are creative enough to provide the character with an interesting backstory/characterization. So any fault with Chloe is the fault of the writing team, not the actress in my opinion.

Now some actors can exceed what they are given on the page and make the bland words that come out of their mouths interesting. But that's a special lot, a very tiny portion of those of the thespian populace. Elyse is not at that level. But she is good enough to make Chloe complex as long as she is given good material to work with.

With that said I still like Chloe. I don't see her being killed off (if the show continues) because TPTB appear to like her as well. If TPTB listened to some of you guys she, Matt and Camille would already be dead. I look forward to what TPTB will have in store for her and the blue aliens. The only way I would probably start to dislike her is if TPTB hooked her up with Eli because frankly the Eli fans have turned me off even on the possibility of such a hookup.

As for people not noticing her absence in the first ten or so minutes...well if the episode is great you can say that about virtually any character that is kept off the screen for the first portion of a show. As long as that character is not your personal favorite that is.

Comment

While moving at a snail pace and very tentative I think the Chloe transformation plot is very good thus far.

It would be better if the blue aliens were a more present enemy like the Goaould or the Wraith. So everything would be linked with some ever present overarching threat and arc. But in my head, I'm telling myself that it is. Well, it may be for real, we don't know what the writers have in store for us.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
        I don't believe there is such a thing as a boring character, just unimaginary writers. Anyone from any background can be made fascinating
        I think the world of scripted TV and Movie is built on the idea of putting ordinary people like you and me through challenges and incredible events. There's not even any need for any type of "I was beaten up by father" background or flashback. Putting ordinary people through extraordinary events is almost the foundation of TV.

It's the impact on those events on her and how she reacts and people around her reacts which make it interesting. Same as the development of her situation.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Kill off Chloe makes things too easy. I want tension not easiness. And that spiting fandom Matt was talking about
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
            I like Chloe and would miss her if they killed her off
            Yes, same here.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't really like Chloe, but I think that Elyse Levesque has done a really good job with the material she was given. I just really don't find her character interesting. I don't really want her to die though. I'd rather she was reduced to recurring, maybe have her get taken by the blues again or something and spend some time with them(more than 1 episode); get a little off screen development and come back changed.
              sigpic

Comment

Count me in as a Chloe fan. I was very anti-Chloe during the first part of the first season, but the character has grown on me, and I find the whole "blue aliens made me a mutant" story-line very interesting.

Team Chloe!
                sigpic
                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I like diminished role smurfette chloe, plus it may just be me but Elyse Levesque is looking hawt these last episodes.
                  I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

I like Chloe, one of my favorites! Besides she can say something archeological if she needs to, thats useful right!? Like Stratification!

Comment

I have always liked Chloe as a character, and if anything it has just gotten more and more so as the show has gone along. I like the way her character has developed so far, and I think this current storyline could prove to be very interesting if it continues. I really can't wait to see what the writers do.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KlaxxonBlue View Post
                        Hmmmm... So.. why is Eli all hating on her now?

He lost his trick and now he's all hating on Chloe. I really want him to grow the F up!
                        I'm not sure how exactly he was hating. They were back to being buddy-buddy a week ago, despite the Cloverdale fiasco.

He was just really, really, really upset and didn't want to be bothered, by Chloe or anyone else on the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                          I like diminished role smurfette chloe, plus it may just be me but Elyse Levesque is looking hawt these last episodes.
                          No, it's not just you. Constantly looked bedraggled and unkempt like she has lately is oddly hot as all hell to me.
                          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I can't imagine SGU without Chloe. From the moment she laid a beating on Rush, how could I not like her?
                            Then her standing up to Wray in Justice and now her neat arc here. She's definitely interesting!

edited to add an agreement with MattSilver about awesome bedraggled Chloe!
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I don't particularly care for the character at the moment, but I don't think killing her off is the answer; that's the easy way out. I wouldn't miss her if she were gone, but I'd rather she develop into something admirable.

I don't know whether it's the writers fault for not doing much with her character, or whether the actor herself needs to ask for more development. Because when you think of Chloe, you think of two things: she's Scott's gf, and she's part alien. Neither one of those things are qualities that are intrinsic to her.

What I wanted to see:
                              Yeah, she feels useless at the start, that's normal. But I would have liked to see her go, "Dammit, I am gonna find something to do, other than whine or mope around being useless. Everyone else is pitching in!" Partly I can understand it, because it isn't until Earth that she realizes she's had shallow friends and that she was shallow, but it was while she was drunk, so who knows how much she remembered.

But still, she could be shown helping out, by learning new skills, or watering plants or something. Eventually, especially after Justice and Divided, I would have liked to see her become more a mediator for disputes. She's a civilian with a military boyfriend; thus she has both aspects. The disagreements on the ship are political in a small scale, and that is something that Chloe should be familiar with.

So start mediating disputes.

Stick up for people who aren't your boyfriend.

Get yourself involved in the discussion meetings.

Become an attache for Wray, possibly handle some psych evaluations in place of TJ(or assist her in them).

Get to know and befriend everyone on the ship.

Of course, at this point with her infection, she probably can't do that too much. She pretty much needs to be locked and watched until they figure out something to do with her. But all this really makes me wonder about her education, and whether she only took it and passed because of her daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                                Team Chloe!
                                *joins*

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                                I can't imagine SGU without Chloe. From the moment she laid a beating on Rush, how could I not like her?
                                Then her standing up to Wray in Justice and now her neat arc here. She's definitely interesting!
                                Not to mention telling Rush (after he said Chloe should return to her quarters) 'You know where you can go?!' in "Water".
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X