Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not two way...it's that, well he made it an actual tunnel where they could pilot the Jumper through...:-/

Onto a positive note though. Just finished Valhalla which I absolutely loved. Tim got the team down to a Tee. The story was very engaging and interesting. Was a story that hasn't really been broached in any of the novels so that was lovely to see. Esp a new Asgard character.

Wasn't overly sure on Jonas' secondary story. Seemed a bit... disconnected from the a-story. That said, I did love having Jonas back and his development with Kianna. Was really cool. I definitely recommend that one.
    Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; 06 October 2009, 02:14 PM.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
      It's not two way...it's that, well he made it an actual tunnel where they could pilot the Jumper through...:-/
      *head/desk* Did the author even watch SG? Any SG at all?

Comment

Honestly there's been a couple of mistakes in a few of the books. But I think there were a hell of a lot more in the shows themselves. I don't find it a huge deal, just something to point out to the author so that he/she will be aware if it and avoid that mistake again.

Comment

I've only read two of the books so far. I've got Hydra as it came free with my Stargate Magazine subscription, and although I found it a bit confusing keeping up with story it did inspire me to head to the local library to read some more. I thought Sacrifice Moon was brilliant. Much easier to read and follow. Also, the story was so well written, I could actually imagine the characters interacting with each other which made it far more enjoyable. I think I've got Trial By Fire on reserve next so hoping that will be as good.

Comment

Originally posted by katikatnik View Post
            *head/desk* Did the author even watch SG? Any SG at all?

I know I shouldn't poke my nose in here, but you do realise we don't just 'make stuff up' but actually go through a stringent approval process that isn't merely the editors at Fandemonium but involves it going to the relevant authorities at MGM who read not only the finished novel but also the outline and pitch right at the beginning, so if something as radical as a two-way gate is done, it is done with the creators/owners of the show's blessing. They *have* to approve everything. Not a word can go to print without their agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSavile View Post
              I know I shouldn't poke my nose in here, but you do realise we don't just 'make stuff up' but actually go through a stringent approval process that isn't merely the editors at Fandemonium but involves it going to the relevant authorities at MGM who read not only the finished novel but also the outline and pitch right at the beginning, so if something as radical as a two-way gate is done, it is done with the creators/owners of the show's blessing. They *have* to approve everything. Not a word can go to print without their agreement.
              Of that I have no doubt. I just don't get how the author could change the basic rules of the universe he was writing in? I mean, if it was his original story, his universe, he would be more than welcome. But this? That the approval system didn't catch that was simply bad job done and who ever is approving the books, is obviously the wrong person for it. But that the author came up with it in the first place?

The gate wormhole is one of the most established things in the franchise - it goes one way and it's not a real tunnel, no matter what it looks like, it's all about the disintegration and reintegration of particles. It's used in every episode, every fan knows of the 38 minutes window that the gate can stay open and nothing can come through from the opposite side, it's been the point of several episodes. Changing that is like making Sheppard a bad pilot - not respecting established rules. The reader is jarred out of the plot.

I mean, I can understand such things when authors are hired to write for a show and delve in with little or no previous knowledge. But when the author claims to be a fan of the show and makes mistakes like that? It's not a small thing - almost every review points out this nonsense. Maybe authors shouldn't rely on the approval system so much and do research on their own? If he asked about it, everybody would have told him it was not possible.

I admit that I sound disgruntled but I am a loyal fan of SG-1/SGA (especially of SGA) and such things give tie-ins bad rep.

Comment

Just ordered Valhalla from http://www.whona.com/, a site that I have found ships pretty quickly. I'm so excited to get it!

A question for those who have read this book: What season is it in? I know that the cover shows only Jack, Sam, Teal'c, and Jonas, but it also mentions Kyanna and the fact that Jonas is working on Langara on the back cover, which leads me to think that it's more season 7. Is it set before or after "Fallout"? Thanks! ~Jess
                sigpic
                The Return of King Arthur
                Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                  Just ordered Valhalla from http://www.whona.com/, a site that I have found ships pretty quickly. I'm so excited to get it!

A question for those who have read this book: What season is it in? I know that the cover shows only Jack, Sam, Teal'c, and Jonas, but it also mentions Kyanna and the fact that Jonas is working on Langara on the back cover, which leads me to think that it's more season 7. Is it set before or after "Fallout"? Thanks! ~Jess
                  I think it's set after S6. I haven't read it yet but from various reviews, that's how I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post

It's set after "Fallout" and before Cam joins the team. Beyond that, there's no clear placement I could figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by katikatnik View Post
                      But this? That the approval system didn't catch that was simply bad job done and who ever is approving the books, is obviously the wrong person for it. But that the author came up with it in the first place?

Again, I really don't think that's right. The writer has pitched the idea because it is something he thinks could be fun to explore - something that contradicts everything we think we know about the universe - the notion is pitched to MGM not once but twice, first as a raw concept where MGM have been asked 'hey how about we explore this?' and they have actively agreed it would be interesting to do so. The books are an avenue to explore things that can't be explored on screen. Then when the book is written with all of the 'different logic' presented MGM again get to see it and decide that yes it works within the strictures of Stargate.

It really isn't a case of someone making a mistake. It's a deliberate decision by the author, who knows full well that in the shows the gates work in one way, but has thought, hey, what if there were one exception that proves the rule, like the first time they dial the 8th chevron, or last week the 9th... it's never been done before, suddenly it is done... it's a process of evolving the universe.

And you know what? The author knows full well he's convincing MGM to take a leap, and fans are going to think 'christ this muppet is clueless' but he isn't, he's playing with the toys in a way you aren't used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaymach View Post
                        It's set after "Fallout" and before Cam joins the team. Beyond that, there's no clear placement I could figure out.
                        There is a historical note before the first chapter stating that it is in the latter half of season 7. The first few chapters place it sometime after Fallout.

Only a few chapters in but this really seems like it is going to be a fun read.

Comment

IRT to Steven. Haven't read Nightfall myself but what you're saying would depend on the context. If someone wants to fill me in and say how this two-way wormhole works, I can accept that. Some freak accident? Yeah, sure.

But to just randomly change an over-exaggerated "law of wormhole physics"...You've gotta give us, the readers, some credit. I love you guys, I love you come talk to us, I love that you're mostly fans of the show. But seriously...there are some things that shouldn't be changed.

So if someone wants to just fill the uninformed in on how the two-way thing happens, I'd appreciate it.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Obviously I haven't read it either, but knowing the author as well as I do I can't believe he doesn't posit a 'reason' for what's happening - it's very difficult to obviously talk about stuff I've not read, but having done Throne and gone through the very rigorous vetting approval stages that caused a number of fundamental changes in the outline stage I can only honestly believe that there has to be a fundamental reasoning behind the why, and it has to be exploring something folks are interested in.

I absolutely agree - we absolutely HAVE to give you a reason to believe us when we spin these stories for you.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSavile View Post
                              Again, I really don't think that's right. The writer has pitched the idea because it is something he thinks could be fun to explore - something that contradicts everything we think we know about the universe - the notion is pitched to MGM not once but twice, first as a raw concept where MGM have been asked 'hey how about we explore this?' and they have actively agreed it would be interesting to do so. The books are an avenue to explore things that can't be explored on screen. Then when the book is written with all of the 'different logic' presented MGM again get to see it and decide that yes it works within the strictures of Stargate.

It really isn't a case of someone making a mistake. It's a deliberate decision by the author, who knows full well that in the shows the gates work in one way, but has thought, hey, what if there were one exception that proves the rule, like the first time they dial the 8th chevron, or last week the 9th... it's never been done before, suddenly it is done... it's a process of evolving the universe.

And you know what? The author knows full well he's convincing MGM to take a leap, and fans are going to think 'christ this muppet is clueless' but he isn't, he's playing with the toys in a way you aren't used to.
                              Okay, have you read Nightfall? Because we are talking apples and oranges here. It's not a "thing explored" there, for the author it's a stated fact that the wormhole goes both ways. I could buy it if it was a freakish accident or whatever like you mentioned it but not, definitely not in this context. He takes it as a given fact and rolls with it which is simply silly.
                              Last edited by katikatnik; 08 October 2009, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                                So if someone wants to just fill the uninformed in on how the two-way thing happens, I'd appreciate it.
                                Gladly:

Spoiler:
                                There's an off-world activation. Through the gate, Sheppard lets Sam know that Teyla and Ronon were kidnapped - without disengaging the gate, Lorne and his team simply walk back through the gate to the planet. It's one continuous scene, no cuts or anything at all that would hint at re-dial, Zelenka is even monitoring the gate through the scene.

Then, at some point later in the book, Sheppard and McKay return from Atlantis to the planet. McKay is all jittery that the gate stayed open and what if someone walked back and there is a whole explanation how Atlantis has a code system that allows the off-world team to let Atlantis know that they need to disengage the gate because there is a danger of the bad guys walking back through the open wormhole to Atlantis.

In both cases, it's given as an undisputable fact that the gate goes both ways with no explanation, no AUs, no freaky accidents. It's not explored, it's not used as a plot point. The author simply changed the basic rules of this sandbox in which he was playing. And that's a no-go no matter how you turn or twist it.

That's all I remember about it from this book. You can see how impressed I was. Not. And if that's not enough to prove my point, I will dig out the book, find the scenes and copy it word for word here *sigh*
                                Last edited by katikatnik; 08 October 2009, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X