Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My thoughts about Sam and Jack in the third movie (spec and spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
    Other than the fact that it would show the characters, and by extension the US military, in a very bad light and even that doesn't seem relevant anymore.
    How do you know this supposed confirmation/romantic scene isn't set after Jack retires? Or after Sam is wounded so bad she is medically discharged? Or Jack is fired? Sure, none of those scenarios are very likely at all, but we don't know how or when the "romance" happens so the idea that it will show the military in a bad light is pure speculation at this point.

Besides, this is a show where a General (Landry) went on a personal vacation with his subordinates. I can't see how Sam/Jack would be considered any more inappropriate than that.

After all the Sam and Jack in the movies won't be the real S/J will they? I've lost track of all the AU/AT etc but there is no way that any of the characters are the same ones that started season one! Don't you agree?
    If thats the case, then it doesn't matter if Daniel's in the movie because he's not the Daniel we started out with. No need for Teal'c either. Why not just get a whole new team.

None of the fans of other pairings do.
    Really, this isn't a Sam/Jack-only issue. I've seen Daniel/Vala fans want confirmation. I've seen fans of every pairing in every fandom want confirmation. I've been one of those fans on occassion.

TPTB have led Sam/Jack fans on a merry chase for years, always teasing and never following through. I hope this time they actually get the moment they're hoping for.
    Originally posted by Callista
    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
    Originally posted by HPMom
    She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

This is also a show with co-leaders(cam and sam, MASSIVE NO-NO, military loves a clear chain of command) , nepotism on the base (lam and landry shouldn't even be serving ON the same base, much less be reporting to each other. Not when he's the CO. Since he's the CO, she'd never be allowed to serve there. and nepotism is a bigger issue than frat regs), plus tons of other random little things that the real military would frown upon. (tank tops as part of the uniform, random hair issues, characters wearing medals for wars they weren't old enough to fight in)

Keeping the Air Force completely and totally happy hasn't been a concern of the writers for years now.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        Keeping the Air Force completely and totally happy hasn't been a concern of the writers for years now.
        Very, very true. And I've said it before, but the rules and regs only seem to get brought up in regards to Jack and Sam. (At least that I've noticed.)

Comment

That's probably true. But just in case it is a concern, what and whom Jack is directly in charge of has been unclear ever since he left the SGC.

As long as he's not clearly her direct superior, I can't see many people getting too torqued about it at this stage.
          Last edited by VSS; 13 January 2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post

As long as he's not clearly her direct superior, I can't see many people getting too torqued about it at this stage.

That's the crux right there. Only the most rabid fans ARE even concerned about it. (for or against, it doesn't matter). No one else cares. And as evidenced by SGU, nor do the writers care about relationships within the chain of command.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Why do people who ship S/J even feel the need for confirmation? None of the fans of other pairings do. I mean people have been slashing Jack and Daniel since the first movie, there is a vast amount of fan fiction devoted to that ship, endless websites, fan art, fans, heck even the actors themselves played into it to a much greater extent than they did S/J. It has been talked about at cons at least as much as the S/J ship, maybe more, even mentioned on the episode commentaries, and yet J/D fans are not clamouring for confirmation, far from it! What make S/J worthy of more than a blink and you miss it confirmation above all the other ships?
              Can you give some examples? From what I've read neither MS nor RDA were particularly thrilled with their characters being slashed and the scenes were changed specifically to avoid slash contex (locker scene from Fallen comes to mind) so what you say in news to me.
              Just don't say "wedding" in 200 because this episode was making fun of everything in fandom I mean actual episodes.

About S/J in the third movie..as a shipper of course I'd like to have some confirmation but while I wouldn't be unhappy with a big kiss or something along these lines I'd prefer something more subtle. Mentions of their home or vacations spent together or some photos showing them as a couple would work just fine for me.

The placement of the "romantic scene" BW wrote also doesn't matter to me as long as it's not at the very end - this should belong to The Team. 4 of them or 7 of them, whatever whoever likes, but the whole team, together. I just think that S/J scene at the very beginning would be easier to do (and to swallow ), plus it would save time spent on notifying the characters about the new challenge.
              Last edited by Petra; 13 January 2010, 01:46 PM.
              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
              sigpic
              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                Can you give some examples? From what I've read neither MS nor RDA were particularly thrilled with their characters being slashed and the scenes were changed specifically to avoid slash contex (locker scene from Fallen comes to mind) so what you say in news to me.
                Just don't say "wedding" in 200 because this episode was making fun of everything in fandom I mean actual episodes.
                Well, this article is about 200 but the stuff about the slashy out-takes in the wedding scene is near the end of the article and RDA seems quite relaxed about it.
                http://www.tvguide.com/news/Richard-...son-39758.aspx

Edited to put the relivant, brief quote here.

Anderson goes off to rehearse the big wedding scene. Sam (Amanda Tapping) is the bride, and Daniel (Michael Shanks) is the best man. No doubt saluting the fans who want Jack and Daniel to hook up, they do a couple of "Brokeback" takes. In one, Richard takes the bouquet out of Amanda's hands and gives it to Michael. In another, Richard takes Michael's hand at the altar, which causes the assembled cast and crew to erupt in applause. (You'll just have to watch to see what ends up on air.)

TV Guide: That was cute, the hand-holding with Michael.
                Anderson: [Laughs] Over the years, it's been alluded to, so we did that just for us.

And, from the same article, RDA on Sam and Jack -
                TV Guide: Should Jack and Sam wind up together at the end of the series?
                Anderson: I know it's a pressing issue for the fans, but luckily we've been able to justify not just doing it for doing-it's sake. There's always been something that's kept us apart, obviously. But I don't know whether there should be an allusion to it at the end, whenever the series goes its merry way.

FF
                Last edited by Frostfox; 13 January 2010, 01:54 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm no slasher, but off the top of my head i'm sure there are many "Slashy" scenes in just about any heavy Daniel episode. It's less that it's intrinsically slashy, and more that it can be interpreted that way.

I keep forgetting Skydiver's analogy, but a scene can mean 4-5 differnt things. it think the one she likes to use is 48 hours with Sam working on saving Teal'c. It can mean one of several things.

Then again, TPTB have been VERY clear that they WANT Sam/Jack. and nothing is going to stop that. And i do mean absolutely nothing.

Riker and Troi. That's how i see it. It doesn't add to each character, only make me sad for them to have waited so long.

I still think it'll be the last scene of their characters. probably just Sam standing there on teh bridge of the Hammond, and Jack sidling up and taking her hand revealing some rings or something. that's about as overt and subtle as you can get at the same time.

Or, antoher possibility is that they'll leave hints, but leave it ambigious. I almost hope for this because then, it's left to the viewer to decide.
                  Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                  Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                  Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

I recall seeing an interview or two where MS talked about how they played Jack and Daniel's arguments like "two old queens" or an "old married couple." MS joked about it a lot, but it always seemed to me that he was playing it up for the audience's reaction but that he certainly didn't really feel that way about the characters. At least, that's how I took it, and I would consider myself a Jack/Daniel slasher.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                      Well, this article is about 200 but the stuff about the slashy out-takes in the wedding scene is near the end of the article and RDA seems quite relaxed about it.
                      http://www.tvguide.com/news/Richard-...son-39758.aspx

Edited to put the relivant, brief quote here.

Anderson goes off to rehearse the big wedding scene. Sam (Amanda Tapping) is the bride, and Daniel (Michael Shanks) is the best man. No doubt saluting the fans who want Jack and Daniel to hook up, they do a couple of "Brokeback" takes. In one, Richard takes the bouquet out of Amanda's hands and gives it to Michael. In another, Richard takes Michael's hand at the altar, which causes the assembled cast and crew to erupt in applause. (You'll just have to watch to see what ends up on air.)

TV Guide: That was cute, the hand-holding with Michael.
                      Anderson: [Laughs] Over the years, it's been alluded to, so we did that just for us.

And, from the same article, RDA on Sam and Jack -
                      TV Guide: Should Jack and Sam wind up together at the end of the series?
                      Anderson: I know it's a pressing issue for the fans, but luckily we've been able to justify not just doing it for doing-it's sake. There's always been something that's kept us apart, obviously. But I don't know whether there should be an allusion to it at the end, whenever the series goes its merry way.

FF
                      Thanks for the link, it was a great interview (gotta love RDA's humour)
                      But, as I said, I can't take anything related to "200" seriously as it wasn't meant seriously. They poked fun at almost every section of the fandom, all the major rifts etc. If slash wasn't mentioned I'd be wondering why it was left out.

Originally posted by Aragon101
                      I'm no slasher, but off the top of my head i'm sure there are many "Slashy" scenes in just about any heavy Daniel episode. It's less that it's intrinsically slashy, and more that it can be interpreted that way.
                      Exactly, interpreted. People can interpret anything they want into any given scene; but I don't think any scene was ever seriously meant/filmed to be slashy? Or at least I've never noticed anything of the sort.

I still think it'll be the last scene of their characters. probably just Sam standing there on teh bridge of the Hammond, and Jack sidling up and taking her hand revealing some rings or something. that's about as overt and subtle as you can get at the same time.

Or, antoher possibility is that they'll leave hints, but leave it ambigious. I almost hope for this because then, it's left to the viewer to decide.
                      Ah, see, this first option works for me. After all nobody wants to see them dating or getting their act together; the confirmation the shippers are after is the confirmation that S/J have been together since Threads meaning: in a serious relationship for years now.

What I don't want to see is ambiguity. Resolve the issue either way, but just do it already!

Originally posted by Ashizuri
                      I recall seeing an interview or two where MS talked about how they played Jack and Daniel's arguments like "two old queens" or an "old married couple." MS joked about it a lot, but it always seemed to me that he was playing it up for the audience's reaction but that he certainly didn't really feel that way about the characters. At least, that's how I took it, and I would consider myself a Jack/Daniel slasher.
                      Thanks hon. I'm not gonna argue because I've never been interested in slash and my impression that the actors weren't fans of the idea is from reading a few MS interviews (in SFX and such) when he talked about it being weird or something and changing this scene from Fallen which I already mentioned. But as I've never delved into the subject I probably don't know squat

Thanks for the replies everybody!
                      sigpic
                      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Thanks for the link, it was a great interview (gotta love RDA's humour)
                        But, as I said, I can't take anything related to "200" seriously as it wasn't meant seriously. They poked fun at almost every section of the fandom, all the major rifts etc. If slash wasn't mentioned I'd be wondering why it was left out.
                        Completely agree about 200 not being taken seriously, but in the interview, RDA doesn't seem to be bothered by the question, indeed, he instigates it by fooling about on set in the first place. As big a star as RDA will have had approval on the article, if he wasn't comfortable, the question would not have seen the light of day.
                        And, an aside, as a slasher I can't tell you how happy it makes me to read that the cast and crew applauded when RDA hands MS the bouquet.

FF
                        sigpic

Comment

subtle would be good. Like i said, each wearing rings, sam responding to colonel o'neill (or not responding), a wedding photo on a desk. there but not a major plot focus.
                          is a kiss too 'not subtle'?

me wants a kiss!!!!!

i mean, i want sam and jack to kiss!
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                            Completely agree about 200 not being taken seriously, but in the interview, RDA doesn't seem to be bothered by the question, indeed, he instigates it by fooling about on set in the first place. As big a star as RDA will have had approval on the article, if he wasn't comfortable, the question would not have seen the light of day.
                            And, an aside, as a slasher I can't tell you how happy it makes me to read that the cast and crew applauded when RDA hands MS the bouquet.

FF
                            As I said, it appears that I was mistaken It happens
                            About your last sentence; I'm a shipper and even I was glad to read it. Good to know that folks involved in the series are tolerant, open-minded and with a great sense of humour in real life too.
                            sigpic
                            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

i'm going to take the bait.

Why would confirming S/J be a big deal? Other than the fact that it would show the characters, and by extension the US military, in a very bad light and even that doesn't seem relevant anymore.
                              if they confirm sam and jack are in a relationship, it'll be with the military's approval. so no bad lighty stuff.

Why do people who ship S/J even feel the need for confirmation?
                              the s/j storyline is one that's been done on the show for years. it's shown they went from attraction to feelings to love. ppl that like this storyline want to see if they truly ended up together.

None of the fans of other pairings do. I mean people have been slashing Jack and Daniel since the first movie, there is a vast amount of fan fiction devoted to that ship, endless websites, fan art, fans, heck even the actors themselves played into it to a much greater extent than they did S/J. It has been talked about at cons at least as much as the S/J ship, maybe more, even mentioned on the episode commentaries, and yet J/D fans are not clamouring for confirmation, far from it! What make S/J worthy of more than a blink and you miss it confirmation above all the other ships?
                              jack/daniel wasn't real, meaning it was never shown or acknowledged on the show, in episodes. there's no equality between the two ships, b/c one was actually done on the series and the other was wanted by some fans.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

What I don't want to see is ambiguity. Resolve the issue either way, but just do it already!
                                it's went on for *so* long, and i really believe this 3rd movie will be the end... no more games, no more stretching it out, b/c there prob won't be another chance to tie up this storyline. so yeah, ambiguous has been done over and over...
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X